Damaged item in luggage being denied compensation

Jazul

Has anyone dealt with the claims department regarding an item in your luggage that was damaged? I just returned from the Freedom of the Seas last week and when my luggage was delivered to the stateroom, my HAIR flat iron was broken. Of note, the luggage itself was not damaged. When I called Guest Relations to inquire about it, they must have thought I had an IRON and said they needed to send Security to confiscate it. Upon Security's arrival, he told us it wasn't something he needed to confiscate. I filled out a Claims form and they told me they couldn't do anything on the ship and I could call the 800 number when I got home. Now I am being told that the item was prohibited, even though the representative told me she didn't specifically see it listed as a prohibited item, because it is a fire hazard. I told her I have approximately 20 cruises with RCI and have never been told it shouldn't be allowed when boarding. Also, she told me it was an "electronic" item and, therefore, wouldn't be considered for claims purposes. When I advised her it was an "electric" item and not an "electronic" item, she said it was the same thing. I left a message for a supervisor 2 days ago and, of course, have not received a return call. Anyone have any suggestions/input on this matter? The only reason I think I am being given the run-around is because I had a similar thing happen on a Princess cruise (looked like they stuck a fork from the fork lift through our luggage) and they didn't have a problem with reimbursing the damaged item(s).

I have never had damage, but I can't imagine making a claim if the luggage itself was not damaged. If they didn't mishandle the piece hard enough to damage it, then it seems to me anything inside wasn't packed properly if it got damaged. Furthermore, anything fragile of any actual value should be in your carryon. As you mentioned, it would take a forklift fork through the luggage to damage anything in my checked luggage.

I don't mean to be critical, but I think common sense and personal responsibility need to be applied.

Who is responsible? It is one of those "iffy" situations....

However, they needed to listen more carefully to your situation from the get go, so I can understand why you might pursue it, rather than just drop it.

How old was the iron? do you a have a receipt? Did you fly to the port?

A damaged piece of luggage is easy to claim, something broken inside with no outside suitcase damage is another story. If a piece of your clothing ripped would you believe them to be liable?

My guess would be no compension will come your way, but then again never hurts to check into it.

Off topic.... AA has a list of damages to a luggage they will not cover.

I sympathize with you, but at this point wouldn't it be easier to just replace the flat iron and call it a day? It would be different if you were talking about an expensive item, but I can't imagine a flat iron is worth any more effort than you've already put forth. Just my .02

I sympathize with you, but at this point wouldn't it be easier to just replace the flat iron and call it a day? It would be different if you were talking about an expensive item, but I can't imagine a flat iron is worth any more effort than you've already put forth. Just my .02

That's what I would do but I think some Flat Irons can be upwards of 100 bucks or more.:eek:

I have never had damage, but I can't imagine making a claim if the luggage itself was not damaged. If they didn't mishandle the piece hard enough to damage it, then it seems to me anything inside wasn't packed properly if it got damaged. Furthermore, anything fragile of any actual value should be in your carryon. As you mentioned, it would take a forklift fork through the luggage to damage anything in my checked luggage.

I don't mean to be critical, but I think common sense and personal responsibility need to be applied.

your luggage is stacked on a big rack then taken to xray then on to the ship. I have watched them bringing this stuff around to the ship by forklift and the luggage is just a bouncing and if it is on the bottom of the pile I can assure you it could get broken

This ^^^^

I dont know anything about them but it appears flat irons run anywhere from 15 - 140 dollars. If its the 15 dollar iron, too much time has already been wasted IMO. If its the 140 dollar iron then I MIGHT be inclined to try and file a claim knowing I likely wouldnt get any compensation but if I did it would be a bonus.

With that said, if it were the 140 dollar iron it would have been in my carry on. NEVER pack anything of value in checked luggage.

Im afraid this is gonna wind up a lesson learned IMO.

Has anyone dealt with the claims department regarding an item in your luggage that was damaged? I just returned from the Freedom of the Seas last week and when my luggage was delivered to the stateroom, my HAIR flat iron was broken. Of note, the luggage itself was not damaged. When I called Guest Relations to inquire about it, they must have thought I had an IRON and said they needed to send Security to confiscate it. Upon Security's arrival, he told us it wasn't something he needed to confiscate. I filled out a Claims form and they told me they couldn't do anything on the ship and I could call the 800 number when I got home. Now I am being told that the item was prohibited, even though the representative told me she didn't specifically see it listed as a prohibited item, because it is a fire hazard. I told her I have approximately 20 cruises with RCI and have never been told it shouldn't be allowed when boarding. Also, she told me it was an "electronic" item and, therefore, wouldn't be considered for claims purposes. When I advised her it was an "electric" item and not an "electronic" item, she said it was the same thing. I left a message for a supervisor 2 days ago and, of course, have not received a return call. Anyone have any suggestions/input on this matter? The only reason I think I am being given the run-around is because I had a similar thing happen on a Princess cruise (looked like they stuck a fork from the fork lift through our luggage) and they didn't have a problem with reimbursing the damaged item(s).

My question is exactly how was it broken? I have a flat iron and they don't just break in half. What exactly happened to it?

Also, I agree with other posters. I would just buy a new one and call it a day. I have never bought an expensive flat iron, but if I did, then I would either not take it on the cruise (have a cheaper one just for that) or it would be in my carry-on. It's like jewelry....I never take my expensive jewelry with me because of obvious reasons. Same thing with an expensive flat iron.....or anything expensive for that matter.

your luggage is stacked on a big rack then taken to xray then on to the ship. I have watched them bringing this stuff around to the ship by forklift and the luggage is just a bouncing and if it is on the bottom of the pile I can assure you it could get broken

Yes, that's my point. I expect luggage to endure this type of handling. That is why anything fragile of any significant value goes in the carry on.

I don't believe you have any proof that the iron was broken by the cruiseline and therefore you have no claim. Maybe they did break it, but I believe it is the passenger's responsibilty to pack breakable items securely or bring them in your carry-on.

Chalk it up to experience.

Your not going to get much help or sympathy here. For many on this site, RC can do no wrong no matter what happened. Most don't understand how much they can cost either. I have purchased 2 CHI for my wife at over $100 each.

I would keep calling and pushing the issue...

It seems like an issue for your travel insurance. That's what the insurance is for, so I would just file a claim with them. Keep the cruise line out of the loop, since you're not going to get any results from them anyway....why spend the effort, when you can just file an insurance claim?

As many have said we are sorry your flat iron didnt make it thru the baggage handeling process, im sure if labled properly you would not have had this problem. Yes I am a stylist and some flay irons can be real expensive, but like most fragile items need to be wrapped and in the midddle of your cheacked bag. I hope overall you enjoyed your cruise

With that said, if it were the 140 dollar iron it would have been in my carry on. NEVER pack anything of value in checked luggage.

Im afraid this is gonna wind up a lesson learned IMO.

One can't avoid packing some items of value. Many items of clothing cost over $140, as do shoes. I would agree that one should not pack fragile items in checked luggage, whether they're expensive or not - they're bound to get bounced around and, as the OP learned, sometimes don't survive.

OP, the problem I see is that you can't prove that RCI damaged the item - without some kind of evidence that they dropped it, they could easily argue that it must have been broken when you put it in there and that you're just trying to get some easy money (just thinking of what they could say, not accusing you of anything). Sorry for your loss - I bought my first flat iron today and felt like a deer in the headlights staring at all the possibilities, most of which made no sense to me. I ended up calling my hairdresser for advice!

Dear friends:

I am sorry your item was damaged and I do hope that, at least as a matter of goodwill, the cruise line follows through.

However, has anybody on Cruise Critic ever realized how unprotected we all are when we either check our luggage in with the porters at the pier or place our luggage outside our room on the last night?

We fill out baggage tags -- but those baggage tags are just for identification purposes (name and cabin number). Those baggage tags have no serial numbers, no bar codes, nothing of the sort -- the cruise line doesn't even keep half the tag so that we can prove we gave our luggage to the cruise line.

When you check your luggage with an airline, your baggage receipt has a serial number to show that it was entered into the airline's computer system and can be traced. That is not done with a cruise line.

What if you check in 6 pieces of luggage at the pier (or leave them outside your door on the last night) and they don't appear? There is no proof that the passenger actually checked the luggage with the cruise line, which is the first excuse for the cruise line to deny responsibility.

In the age of cellphones, small digital cameras, etc., we always take a photo of our luggage with the porter at the pier, and then always take another photo of our luggage outside of our room the last night. At least that's something of proof in case our luggage gets lost.

I just think in these days where ships can hold up to 6,000 passengers, the whole system of baggage checking and tracing should be brought up to date and a system similar to the airlines should be implemented.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

The only problem with putting it in a carry on is that TSA can confiscate if they feel the need. It's one of those questionable items so you would be taking a big chance. Of course, I'm referring to flying. If you aren't then yes, it could go into the bag for boarding the ship and I would hope they wouldn't confiscate it..one never knows.

FTR: I own a Chi iron that I've had for 5 years, it was around $120. If it were me, I would file a claim. They aren't cheap at all and even more now I'm sure.

best of luck to the OP..

Dear friends:

....However, has anybody on Cruise Critic ever realized how unprotected we all are when we either check our luggage in with the porters at the pier or place our luggage outside our room on the last night?

....I just think in these days where ships can hold up to 6,000 passengers, the whole system of baggage checking and tracing should be brought up to date and a system similar to the airlines should be implemented.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I don't feel comfortable with the current luggage system either. The last several times, we have done self-disembark so we have control of our luggage. When we have left it out in the hallway, I did not pack anything of value and I put our luggage out at the very last minute possible. Before embarking, I also tape luggage tags (with our cabin number) to the inside of the luggage.

I like your tip about taking pictures of your luggage; do you just take a candid or do you ask the porter to stand there? (I can't imagine them liking that)

You make a lot of good points.

Dear friends:

I am sorry your item was damaged and I do hope that, at least as a matter of goodwill, the cruise line follows through.

However, has anybody on Cruise Critic ever realized how unprotected we all are when we either check our luggage in with the porters at the pier or place our luggage outside our room on the last night?

We fill out baggage tags -- but those baggage tags are just for identification purposes (name and cabin number). Those baggage tags have no serial numbers, no bar codes, nothing of the sort -- the cruise line doesn't even keep half the tag so that we can prove we gave our luggage to the cruise line.

When you check your luggage with an airline, your baggage receipt has a serial number to show that it was entered into the airline's computer system and can be traced. That is not done with a cruise line.

What if you check in 6 pieces of luggage at the pier (or leave them outside your door on the last night) and they don't appear? There is no proof that the passenger actually checked the luggage with the cruise line, which is the first excuse for the cruise line to deny responsibility.

In the age of cellphones, small digital cameras, etc., we always take a photo of our luggage with the porter at the pier, and then always take another photo of our luggage outside of our room the last night. At least that's something of proof in case our luggage gets lost.

I just think in these days where ships can hold up to 6,000 passengers, the whole system of baggage checking and tracing should be brought up to date and a system similar to the airlines should be implemented.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I can't even begin to imagine the delays & problems that would occur if a cruise line attempted to check in luggage the same way the airlines do!! :eek: For the most part, it appears the cruise lines handle lost luggage issues reasonably well. I've never heard anyone complain that the cruise line intimated they were lying about lost luggage. In most cases, passengers are provided some personal hygiene products & clothing while waiting for the cruise line to locate their luggage.

With no damage to the suitcase, there’s no reason for the cruise line, airline, or anyone else who may have handled the luggage to assume responsibility for damage to an item inside.

Archived