Free Air & Business Upgrade

parisbully

We just booked this weekend and our upgrade to Business Class is round trip. Maybe I should say kind of since the first leg of our trip into Dallas has no Business Class we'll get coach as they don't default up to First Class. I think, or at least we've requested, that our overseas flight will originate in Dallas non-stop to Barcelona and that'll be Business Class. One other option is San Antonio to Dallas to Miami and then overseas to Barcelona. If that happens then we don't get into Business Class until we leave Miami or at least that's the way I thought I understood it.

We just booked this weekend and our upgrade to Business Class is round trip. Maybe I should say kind of since the first leg of our trip into Dallas has no Business Class we'll get coach as they don't default up to First Class.

We just booked this weekend and our upgrade to Business Class is round trip. Maybe I should say kind of since the first leg of our trip into Dallas has no Business Class we'll get coach as they don't default up to First Class.

We've upgraded to Business from St. Louis and the "surcharge" to the "free" included airfare was round trip. Our first leg is STL to ORD (Chicago), on an aircraft that has no Business or First, so we're in Coach. But Business over to Europe from Chicago. On our return flight home, the ORD-STL leg has First and Coach Classes, so they have us in First.

Randy, you should be put in First on the domestic legs IF the plane is a two-class configuration. That has always been my experience flying in Business. I've lived in Dallas in the past, so I would expect that a SA-DFW flight would likely only be Coach class (like American Eagle or Delta Express or something) - which would explain why you are not upgraded on that leg. The Dallas-Miami leg surely will have you in First. Or at least I hope so! But, imho, you should take the flight with the least # of stops!

If you live on the West Coast it is very important to clarify what you are getting with the Business Class upgrade. My experience is that you don't know until you ask. Sometimes there are small footnotes that say the upgrade is only for the Trans-Atlantic leg. Well, the flight from LA to NYC is only a few hours shorter than NYC to Europe (as an example). An upgrade on a non-stop from LAX to Europe is great.

Living on the Left Coast (West Coast) insist on non-stop to Europe. For me, it's usually LAX/LHR or FRA, CDG, connecting to the embarkation port in Europe. That is tolerable.

I will not fly to Atlanta, Chicago, Cincinnati, anywhere to connect to Europe.

We've upgraded to Business from St. Louis and the "surcharge" to the "free" included airfare was round trip. Our first leg is STL to ORD (Chicago), on an aircraft that has no Business or First, so we're in Coach. But Business over to Europe from Chicago. On our return flight home, the ORD-STL leg has First and Coach Classes, so they have us in First.

Randy, you should be put in First on the domestic legs IF the plane is a two-class configuration. That has always been my experience flying in Business. I've lived in Dallas in the past, so I would expect that a SA-DFW flight would likely only be Coach class (like American Eagle or Delta Express or something) - which would explain why you are not upgraded on that leg. The Dallas-Miami leg surely will have you in First. Or at least I hope so! But, imho, you should take the flight with the least # of stops!

Thanks for the information. Obviously we have some time to sort this out and I hope you're right that it's business or first class all the way from San Antonio and back again. I really didn't question Esther all that much about that aspect but I thought she said it was only from the major departure airport not our home. Could be she wasn't thinking that San Antonio actually has flights with first class/business class since it's not a major airport. We fly almost exclusively with American and they actually use MD-90's for the San Antonio - Dallas flights and those have a first class configuration. Since Mrs. K has advanced standing as a frequent flier on American we asked Esther if we could at least ask for flights on American. She said she put it in our record and sent a note to the flight folks requesting American as it is one of the airlines Silversea uses. Since it's only a 45 minute flight between San Antonio and Dallas it wouldn't be the end of the world so to speak if we didn't get put in first class. I will be a lot more concerned if they try to route us through Miami or, heaven forbid, New York to Barcelona and those legs are coach.

As for the least number of stops....I sure hope so! No getting around flying from San Antonio to a major exit airport but certainly the easiest would be to catch whatever flight we can from Dallas non-stop to Barcelona. Coming back from Istanbul is going to be a whole different experience as it looks like we'll have to fly into one of the major European airports to catch a flight back to Dallas so we're going to get at least one extra stop on the return.

It's not about whether AA or any airline offers first class seating on domestic flights. The policy usually states that business class is only on over water flights across the ocean. Have your TA check to be sure.

It's not about whether AA or any airline offers first class seating on domestic flights. The policy usually states that business class is only on over water flights across the ocean. Have your TA check to be sure.

Thanks....that's kind of what I understood our Silversea consultant to say. As long as they don't route us domestically to the east coast it's really not a problem. If we do go to the east coast then hopefully it's on American as my wife's status allows her to upgrade any type of ticket to first class domestically with stipulations of course. In an unusual move on our part we're using the cruise lines' consultants rather than a non-affiliated TA. Not that that's bad just that a cruise lines' internal TA's are obviously only going to tell you the best about their ships, services, etc. The one and only other time we used cruise line air it was with HAL and while we got there I can't say it was the best schedule or times. In fact, they didn't even have my wife and I sitting together and it took some doing with the airline to get that fixed. Whatever arrangement HAL had with the airline the tickets kind of put you at the very bottom of the tariff list and, jokingly, I felt lucky we didn't have to stand up in the back the whole way. :rolleyes::) We have the choice to move or transfer the booking but not in any particular rush right now.

I requested Newark for departure to Copenhagen. They are flying us out of JFK which is not a big deal. We are flying Icelandic, an airline I did not anticipate and we fly home Delta from London. Icelandic has a better baggage policy than Delta. I guess with the $1000 shipboard critic, they'll be doing my laundry.

I requested Newark for departure to Copenhagen. They are flying us out of JFK which is not a big deal. We are flying Icelandic, an airline I did not anticipate and we fly home Delta from London. Icelandic has a better baggage policy than Delta. I guess with the $1000 shipboard critic, they'll be doing my laundry.[/quote

Beware--Icelandic business class seats are not lie flat or even close. They are like flying domestic F in an AA 737. You do get an amenity kit, lounge access (pretty nice lounge in Boston at least), a meal (but who wants to eat at midnight). I managed to curl myself up, but my husband didn't sleep a wink.

In my past experience upgrading to Business (last summer with Regent Air) and this summer (with Silver Sky), they had us either in First or Business the entire way (both domestically and within Europe).

Not sure whether that is SOP (standard operating procedure) or not, but that is what we had before and what we'll fly on this summer (per our confirmed booking with United/Lufthansa).

I would expect if you flew from Dallas to anywhere domestically you would be in First (or business as some planes even domestically have the 3-class configuration - especially American Airlines out of Dallas). But don't hold me to it! Good luck! :D

We just booked the 7/20 SS Cloud cruise London/Copenhagen. We are direct to London business class, but on the return, are only business class from Copenhagen to Newark on SAS. From Newark to Houston on Continental it is back to Coach. Since there is a disclaimer stating that business applies to the long haul portion of the flight, I am guessing that we have what we have. Has anyone had any luck in changing this? We do not have the FF miles on Continental/United to upgrade, btw.

Just spoke to my TA -- yes, they only guarantee business on the transcontinential portion (long-haul). Apparently, if you are upgraded within the US or within Europe, it is based on availability. I asked after another glance at our itinerary showed that we are coach from St. Louis to Chicago (with every other leg - 5 in total RT - being in first or business). We're on United and I have spoken with a rep for the airline and they gave me the impression there is nothing they can do. So it is based on what Silver Sky can work out. Luckily, it's only a 1 hour 10 minute flight!

We have never used the Silversea promo fares before but we are looking at a voyage next year where it might make sense.

My question is: Once you have signed up for the Business Upgrade promo, can you back out to a cruise-only pricing option if you don't like the routing/carriers that Silversea decides upon ?

Thanks for any insight you may have.

Once you have signed up for the Business Upgrade promo, can you back out to a cruise-only pricing option if you don't like the routing/carriers that Silversea decides upon ?

I was told that if you don't like what SS assigns you air-wise you have two options:

1. Reject it and go on your own and take the air credit. I believe that can only be done up to a certain number of days out prior to departure.

2. Deviate from their assigned air itinerary for $100pp (again, up to a certain date prior to departure then it's $250pp) + any difference in cost that might be accrued by changing the route/carrier.

Once you let SS know you want to deviate, I advise giving your TA the ideal itinerary you would like to have. My experience has been that they are likely to use that and (*fingers crossed*) will book you on that. You have 48 hours from when you deviate to accept or reject that itinerary. They only charge you the extra cost/deviation fee when you accept. If you don't like it, you can reject it and either go your own way (see option #1 above) or ask for another itinerary. Again, helpful to give Silver Sky an idea of what you want.

We wanted to arrive in Europe several days pre-cruise anyway, so we made all changes in one go (which also gave us a better route and carrier). For us, it was $250 additional pp ($100 deviation fee + $150 for the changed routing) + the business upgrade. But well worth it for us to have a shorter journey time and better connections, etc.

We have had good luck when using the cruise-line air programs - but I can appreciate that others may not have. But, bottom line, I was told if we didn't like what Silver Sky assigned us, we could up to a certain point, opt for taking the air credit and going "on our own."

Good luck! Others might have had a different experience and might have more to chime in...this was just one experience with one TA.

Our experience has been as Magalie99 described. We currently have a booking from Vancouver to NYC. We are flying Business Class from Vancouver to JFK because there was availability. The return flight is direct from Heathrow to Vancouver on British Air. There was no deviation required in this case. We are very pleased with how Silversea has handled this for us.

• 2 weeks later...

Beware--Icelandic business class seats are not lie flat or even close. They are like flying domestic F in an AA 737. You do get an amenity kit, lounge access (pretty nice lounge in Boston at least), a meal (but who wants to eat at midnight). I managed to curl myself up, but my husband didn't sleep a wink.

Is this true of all the business class on Air Icelandic? Mrs Banjo & I are booked for Business class on this airline for our September cruise, Boston to London & Barcelona to Boston. Should we be asking for another airline?

Is this true of all the business class on Air Icelandic? Mrs Banjo & I are booked for Business class on this airline for our September cruise, Boston to London & Barcelona to Boston. Should we be asking for another airline?

Yes, all their planes that fly long-haul are 757's. Seat pitch is 39"--not what I would call acceptable for business class across the Atlantic. You can go to seatguru.com to see more info and compare with other airlines. The ONLY reason we flew Icelandair was that we were going to Iceland. And it is the only airline that flies there. Otherwise, there are lots of better choices.

Archived