chance of table for two on traditional dining?

Hi,

We usually go with the my time/non traditional dining whenever on a cruise ship as we like to have dinner together just the two of us. I know a lot of you on these boards think that the point of cruising is to meet other people but we don't agree and like to spend time enjoying each other's company whilst on a cruise.

That said, I am always really jealous though of the service the people on traditional dining get!! It is one of the main things in reviews and I feel we're missing out. We're big foodies and love the theatre of food which seems to be so much better and more personalised on traditional dining.

What is the likelihood of a table for two on traditional dining? And is it possible to say 'table for twoon traditional or my time dining'. It would completely spoil our cruise to have to spend every meal doing small talk so that is out of the question. Are we safer sticking to my time to ensure a table for two? We're on the Adventure out of Malaga on 23rd July.

thanks

Hannah

p.s. no offence, you're all lovely, just my husband is lovelier in my opinion!

When u make your reservation you can request a table for two. if u don't get it; when u board; head to main dining room and ask head waiter for table for two. We did this on Explorer and got our request; we asked for table for four on Voyager and got our request.

To be on the safe side you might want to switch to my time dining. I believe that is also capacity controlled and have read of some who could not get switched to it once onboard. In case you do not know if you do that they will charge your tips to you ahead of time, just FYI.

My husband and I lived in different countries for 4 years and used cruising as a chance to reconnect so, like you, we prefered to eat alone. I have to admit though, on our last few cruises we have met couples that I would have liked to dine with at least one night, so we will be trying MTD on our next one (16-night cruise). It will be interesting to see if we miss the service of our traditional (late) seating!

We have been on 5 cruises and managed a table for two 4 times:

Navigator- booked with a large land-based cruise TA, asked for and received a table for 2

Explorer- booked with the same TA, asked for and recieved a table for 2

Serenade- booked directly with RCI, asked for a small table (but not for 2) and got a table for 4. Thought about trying to switch but it was in a good location so we kept it. 14-night cruise. First couple of days were a little awkward but then it was more pleasant. They missed several days though (Noro-virus!), and we missed two nights- I was sick one night and we went to Chops another. This was the first time we thought about MTD (which was pretty new at the time)- the area was empty each night and we could have easily eaten whenever and with whomever we chose.

Independence- booked directly with RCI, asked for a small table and about 3 weeks before cruising emailed the dining coordinator and asked for a table for 2. Got it.

Celebrity Millennium- booked with a large online cruise agency, asked for a table for two. About 2 weeks before cruising emailed the dining coordinator and asked for a table for 2. Got it. We didn't want to try MTD on our first Celebrity cruise but again, met people that we would have loved to dine with.

So, if you put in a special request and back it up with a pleasant email to the dining coordinator, I think you have a good chance!

Good luck!

I would recommend doing the MyTime, but make a standing reservation for the same time each night and request to be seated with the same waitstaff - or even at the same table - every night. We liked the waitstaff we got the first night and requested to be put in the same section every night. They actually assigned us our own table. It was ideal. We got to dine at a time in-between early and late seating, which was perfect for us and we got the same table and waiters every night. The staff in MTD is just as good as those in traditional dining. It's just more difficult for them to teat you as special if you're not with them for the entire cruise. After the second time my son order tea at the end of the meal, I told him he'd probably never have to ask again. He didn't. I never had to ask for my glass of wine, nor turn over my card. (The waiter memorized both my favorite wine and my card number.) We felt exceptionally pleased with our service.

I've used MTD three times now. Once as a totally flexible option and twice making a standing reservation. I find I prefer the reservation method because my table is always waiting for me and the waitstaff learns my preferences. It's IDEAL.

We had no problem in getting a table for two on our last cruise on Radiance and that was the day we boarded. We even had a seat by the window. I had booked through AMEX so had not asked.

This time I booked through RCCL and it's already been requested. Good luck.

Don't feel bad if you try for a table for 2 and don't get it, all the D+ folks are at the front of the line with the preferred dinning room seating benefit!

Somehow on our last cruise we ended up with a table for two and it was our first cruise on RCCL.

We have requested this on our last 4 cruises , doing traditional dining,

and have received it every time. :D

We used to just wait to have tables assigned and never had bad dining

mates, but have also gotten to the point of not wanting to make small talk for 7 nights. Like to meet people in other venues on the ship and then be on our way.

I also emailed, rcldining@rccl.com about 3 weeks ago for my upcoming cruise and received an email about a week later confirming my request. Much better chance thanvwaiting until you arrive on the ship.

I also emailed about 2 weeks ahead. Got an email one week pre-cruise with table number and seating chart :D

We requested a table for 2 this last cruise. It was the greatest one change we made. We loved being at a table with just us. The wait staff was phenomenal and we decided that we had no need to go to a specialty place when at a table by ourselves. We chose this because I am hearing impaired and have difficulty at a table for 6 or more. We used traditional dining and will do it again!

thanks for your reply. If they absolutely can't honour our request wil we be able to transfer to My Time?

thanks

Hannah

Lets think positive; however, u can switch to my time dining, within the first day of cruising.

We just returned from our B2B on the Liberty Of The Seas. First day on the ship we checked out our table. It was a table for four. We spoke with the Head Waiter (Restaurant Manager) and advised him we requested a table for two when we booked the Cruise for both legs. With a stroke of his pen we had a table for two. We did Traditional Dining with a table for two for both legs in the Magellan Ding Room Deck 4. We had different tables (406 and 434) for each leg and a different wait staff. Both tables were next to the windows on the Starboard Side. Excellent location. Our wait staff for both legs were excellent and efficient. They also were very entertaining and made ours meals very enjoyable. Each day we ate breakfast and some lunches in the MDR. We always requested and received a table for two.

Don't feel bad if you try for a table for 2 and don't get it, all the D+ folks are at the front of the line with the preferred dinning room seating benefit!

Somehow on our last cruise we ended up with a table for two and it was our first cruise on RCCL.

Don't believe everything you read on here. I always get a table for 2 and it's not a benefit of mine.

• 2 weeks later...

We always request a table of 2 and end up on a table of 8 or 10! On the EOS last fall we ended up on a table of 10. We always go right away to see what our table will be as soon as we get on the ship. Even though we were about the 4th in line, they said the best they could do was a table of 6. We were on a waiting list supposedly but never did hear back. It ended up great though because the couple that was at our table decided the late seating was too late and if we had anyone else, they never showed up. We actually made out very well because we had a great location and a large table. We made friends with the table of 10 next door and had a great time! We noticed that most of the tables for 2 were in the WORST locations so we were happy.

We noticed that most of the tables for 2 were in the WORST locations so we were happy.

That may be true of the EOS, but on many ships they have tables for 2 along the railing on the upper decks, which I think is a great location. But, ANY location eating with my honey is a good location! :D

All of the suggestions above are great ones. We have always had our request for a table for 2 honored, but also have had to talk to the maitre 'd on almost all our cruises. RCCL is improving, and are paying more attention to the dining requests.

My experience with MTD was very good, and we also requested the same time and wait staff. If you request your time at the 15 or 45 minute on the hour (7:15, for instance), they are less crowded. The only difference is the wait staff is faster, because they know they have more passengers waiting.

My routine for seeing the head waiter / maitre 'd on when I get on board:

Go immediately to the dining room and check your table location. The doors may be closed, but they will be unlocked. There is always a waiter on duty. Ask to be shown your table, and if it isn't what you want ask when and where they are taking dining change requests that day. It's almost always at 1PM, but the location may not be the dining room. Get to the location about 20 - 30 minutes early (I take a book). It's first come-first served, and they make a list of cabin numbers. If they cannot change it at this time, they will change it later on as people all through the first day and evening switch around.

Archived