Southwest grounding planes due to Fuselage Rupture (Combined)

UpstateCruizer

Just watched the story on Fox News. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/04/02/fuselage-rupture-hole-ripped-planes-roof-force-emergency-landing/?test=latestnews

They had an interview with a passenger who gave details about what they experienced as the plane decompressed and air masks were needed. This was a case where the warnings to apply your own oxygen mask first were crucial~!

Grounding all 737s would seem a bit of overkill (and would cripple air travel), at least until the cause of the mishap is found (at least an initial finding). At this point, no indication of the cause. No way to know if "shoddy maintenance" was involved. Looks like the pilots and crew handled the situation quite well. Remember the Aloha Airlines (?) plane whose top peeled off several years ago?

Poor passengrs. After the trauma of the in-air incident, they have to stay on the plane in the heat of Yuma, and wait for another plane (which will be a 737, since that's all that Southwest flies).

I'll take "Stress Fractures due to Pressurization Cycles" for a thousand, Alex.

I'm not an apologist for WN by a long shot, but I object to the rush to claim "shoddy maintenance". Guess what....sometimes things just break for no known reason. Sad, but true - there is nothing that is perfect.

Of course, I am excluding Mrs. FT, who is quite perfect....;)

I'm not an apologist for WN by a long shot, but I object to the rush to claim "shoddy maintenance". Guess what....sometimes things just break for no known reason.

Did you see "shoddy maintenance" claimed in that article? Either I missed it or it isn't there. Could be either :D

I saw the FBI called it a "mechanical failure, not an act of terror or other foul play." But that was only comparing some mechanical issue (which is obvious!) to a terrorist motive.

Did you see "shoddy maintenance" claimed in that article? Either I missed it or it isn't there. Could be either :D

I saw the FBI called it a "mechanical failure, not an act of terror or other foul play." But that was only comparing some mechanical issue (which is obvious!) to a terrorist motive.

I didn't either.

Southwest has been upfront about the whole incident and in fact has grounded 79 aircraft for inspections.

http://www.blogsouthwest.com/news/update-southwest-airlines-flight-812

They expect about 300 flights today to be canceled.

WOW, wonderful to see the plane hold togather, pilots react safely and all is well.

Brings back memories of the flight in Hawaii many years / decades ago where a large portion of the plane peeled back with worst consequences.

I'm sure to start a debate but the Hawaii flight as well s SW are likely two carriers that push their airplanes the hardest for compression/decompression. It'll be intersting to see what we learn as more details come out.

Actually, look at post #2 in this thread.

Anyhow...remember to keep your seat belt fastened and know how to use the oxygen masks.

I heard a report today that some passengers admitted they did not listen to the FA's announcements about the oxygen masks and had no idea what to do. Guess they will listen from now on!

Many flights throughout the U.S. Have been cancelled and delayed today. We are currently stuck in Baltimore until late this evening when we can get our connection to FLL. I think tomorrow is going to be even worse. Lots of unhappy passengers.

I heard a report today that some passengers admitted they did not listen to the FA's announcements about the oxygen masks and had no idea what to do. Guess they will listen from now on!

If they don't listen to the announcements on SW, you know they don't listen on other airlines.

Many flights throughout the U.S. Have been cancelled and delayed today. We are currently stuck in Baltimore until late this evening when we can get our connection to FLL. I think tomorrow is going to be even worse. Lots of unhappy passengers.

That stinks, but I guess a full inspection is necessary given what happened yesterday. I hope you get to FLL tonight.

I would rather be safe than sorry! We have friends coming in on SW tomorrow who are already delayed until 8am......going to be close to make ship.

Hope you guys get your flight.. and your friends make it.. maybe the ship will hold up because of the problem... positive thoughts:)

Almost a Darwin Award moment....

I also wonder about those reports of people phoning and texting. Guess they figured "well, the plane is falling apart, who cares if the electronics gets messed up too".

FT-perhaps you would know this: is there a way to find out what the issue date and content of the Airworthiness Directive was? There was one which affects the 79 grounded planes, and which up til yesterday could be handled on a routine scheduled basis, but now is being handled immediately. I am curious as to why those planes were on the list, but others are not. I am guessing total hours or hours since last full inspection...but just guessing.

Southwest officials said the Arizona plane had undergone all inspections required by the FAA. They said the plane was given a routine inspection on Tuesday and underwent its last so-called heavy check, a more costly and extensive overhaul, in March 2010.

------

Southwest operates about 170 of the 737-300s in its fleet of about 540 planes, but it replaced the aluminum skin on many of the 300s in recent years, spokeswoman Linda Rutherford said. The planes that were grounded Saturday have not had their skin replaced, she said.

"Obviously we're dealing with a skin issue, and we believe that these 80 airplanes are covered by a set of (federal safety rules) that make them candidates to do this additional inspection that Boeing is devising for us," Rutherford said.

-----

Looks like SW is waiting on Boeing...

FT-perhaps you would know this: is there a way to find out what the issue date and content of the Airworthiness Directive was?

Sorry....don't have that specific info at hand.

THIS SITE may be able to help you. (It's a non-Boeing 737 Technical site).

Also, doing a Google search of: "737-300" "airworthiness directive" crack inspection brought up links to some ADs that might be the one in question.

Archived