What are the best excursions to take from the following Greek and Turkey ports?

greenbay2

Hello everyone,

Taking a land/cruise (Louis Majesty 4 days 3 nights) and was wondering any good ideas on what excursions to look for for the following ports:

Mykonos, Greece

Kusadasi, Turkey

Patmos, Greece

Crete, Greece

Santorini, Greece

Only have about 5 hours at each port

I know it probably depends on what your ship is offering but any help would be grateful.

Smooth Sailing to all:)

Leaving in early May 2011

what is best for me isn't necessarily best for you. ie in Crete we rented a car and drove up to the mountains. Not everyone would be comfortable doing that.

Why not borrow travel books from your library or buy one so that you are aware of ALL the options at each port and can make an informed decision. There are travel books that are specific to cruising and they're very helpful; great photos, specifics about tours, recommendations, etc

In Mykonos a popular excursion is the ruins on Delos.

Or you can just enjoy the town by taking the shuttle bus that is usually offered for a small charge. Explore the harbour, look out for the pelicans, walk to the windmills, shop in the narrow little streets.

There is more than one port in Crete- if it's Heraklion then Knossos is the popular trip from here.

kate

On a similar Louis cruise, we found that the only way to fit in with the short hours in some ports was to go with their tours....Santorini, especially, as the tours get off the ship first...I think we only had 4 or 5 hours, so did the volcano/hot springs.....interesting, but it left very little time to see Fira- in fact, when we were dropped off at the cathedral, it was quite a race to get through the streets for the cable car. (It did give us a taste, so that we flew out there on holiday soon after).

Again, with Ephesus....if you're not moored there for long, it might make sense to go with the ship.

We enjoyed seeing many ports with Louis, but sometimes just didn't have the time to do our own thing, unless it was swimming.

Jo.

What is best really depends on what your goals and budget are in each port.

Mykonos and Kusadasi are the only two I have experience. Mykonos I think is easy to DIY and Kusadasi as another said Ephesus is a must, better by tour.

Hello everyone,

Taking a land/cruise (Louis Majesty 4 days 3 nights) and was wondering any good ideas on what excursions to look for for the following ports:

Mykonos, Greece

Kusadasi, Turkey

Patmos, Greece

Crete, Greece

Santorini, Greece

I know it probably depends on what your ship is offering but any help would be grateful.

Hello everyone,

Mykonos, Greece

Kusadasi, Turkey

Patmos, Greece

Crete, Greece

Santorini, Greece

With relatively short port calls;

Mykonos: I would say just get lost in the winding streets, visit the windmills and soak up the quaint town (DiY)

Kusadasi: as others have said, Ephesus is the 'must see' from here - would need organised excursion

Patmos: a pretty little place but a I'd recommend a visit to the Cave of the Apolcalypse

Crete: If your port is Ag Nik - take an excursion to Spinalonga - fascinating! (If possible read Victoria Hislop's 'The Island' before you go.)

Santorini: with a short stop and delays from tendering, I'd just concentrate on exploring Fira, enjoy the views, take a coffee break & enjoy the unique character of this island. (DiY)

Enjoy your trip - that's an interesting and scenic collection of islands to visit. :)

Thank you all for your insight

I kind of figured Mykonos (DIY)

I didn't know about Turkey

We are landing in Herkalon

And Santorini I wasn't sure because we're going back by plane after our short cruise to stay there a few days so seeing Thira I could do when I return.

I'm assuming it's too cold to swim in early May in Santorini? In the ocean that is............

Thank you all for your insight

I kind of figured Mykonos (DIY)

I didn't know about Turkey

We are landing in Herkalon

And Santorini I wasn't sure because we're going back by plane after our short cruise to stay there a few days so seeing Thira I could do when I return.

I'm assuming it's too cold to swim in early May in Santorini? In the ocean that is............

This is a good site - gives average sea temperatures. I've just selected Mykonos but you can select a range of resorts;

http://www.holiday-weather.com/mykonos/averages/#avg_sea_temp

I would say it's quite possible to swim in seas less than 20C but it does feel chilly. I live by the sea and we reckon that about 22 isn't bad (although there are some mad souls living here who go in all year round - about 6 in the winter!) . The Caribbean by comparison may well be in the range of 25+

Knossos is a Minoan site - link below;

http://www.dilos.com/location/13370

Hi Jo,

What did you think of the Louis line? Food good? We both love our cocktails, is it worth getting the drink package? Which Louis did you go on?

It's 5 years ago now, and it was on a tiny little ship (Perla), whereas you'll be on the much-loved ex NCL Majesty, which is supposed to be several notches up the chart! I think you'll be having a similar cruise to some of the smaller companies, such as Thomson- nothing outstanding, but clean; good staff, and multicultural. There's often lots of backpackers from round the world, so you get some interesting conversations. The food was fine- again, nothing startling, but ample.

Sorry, there were no packages when we went, but I don't remember that the drinks were expensive.

You go on Louis for the packed itineraries...we had a 7 night, and about 8 islands plus Istanbul overnight, so we needed a holiday afterwards!

I'd do it again in a micro second...and it gave us a new holiday destination in Santorini.

Enjoy! :)

Jo.

Hello, this is my first post in these forums... sorry for my poor English..

Louis Cruises has 2 ships for this 3days cruise, Louis Majesty and Calypso (the same boats make and a 4days cruise from Monday to Friday with Rhodes in itinerary).

These boats folow this itinerary for first year because last years traveling at West Mediterranean. I've travel many times with both boats because of my job and Majesty I think is better than Calypso (and bigger) but Calypso I think has a bit better food (no big different, the menu is very similar both boats).

These aren't "gigantic" boats like Princess, HAL etc. These are small boats with very friendly stuff but with poor entertainment. Shows are not so good like American boats. kruzseeka member I think gives you the best excursions..

You must visit Mykonos after 6:00 PM so, you can't visit Delos (close at 3:00PM) and Louis don't has any excursion to Delos

At Santorini you must take a Louis excursion if you want visit Oia because of the limit of the hours. My opinion: Mykonos: take a walk in the town, make some shopping or waste traditional recipes in one of taverns..

Kusadasi: Ephesus,.. if you have a company with 4-6 persons you can take a taxi at the port for go there.. if you want a guide for learn what you see or if your company is less 3 persons choose boat's excursion..

Patmos: take a taxi at the port (very chip) and go to to the Cave of the Apolcalypse (you must tell to taxi driver what time must come back to ship)

Heraklion: take a taxi out of port (ask the price first) and go to Knossos.. you can go there and with local buses (close to port exit).. if you want a guide, you must take a boat's excursion.

Because of Greek crisis many museums are close in these ports (like Heraklion and Santorini).. maybe some of these open parts of their rooms.

here you can see the weather history at Santorini for May: http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/LGSR/2010/5/4/MonthlyHistory.html

At Aegean the sea temperature for May is between 65-75°F..

Hello, this is my first post in these forums... sorry for my poor English..

Louis Cruises has 2 ships for this 3days cruise, Louis Majesty and Calypso (the same boats make and a 4days cruise from Monday to Friday with Rhodes in itinerary).

These boats folow this itinerary for first year because last years traveling at West Mediterranean. I've travel many times with both boats because of my job and Majesty I think is better than Calypso (and bigger) but Calypso I think has a bit better food (no big different, the menu is very similar both boats).

These aren't "gigantic" boats like Princess, HAL etc. These are small boats with very friendly stuff but with poor entertainment. Shows are not so good like American boats. kruzseeka member I think gives you the best excursions..

You must visit Mykonos after 6:00 PM so, you can't visit Delos (close at 3:00PM) and Louis don't has any excursion to Delos

At Santorini you must take a Louis excursion if you want visit Oia because of the limit of the hours. My opinion: Mykonos: take a walk in the town, make some shopping or waste traditional recipes in one of taverns..

Kusadasi: Ephesus,.. if you have a company with 4-6 persons you can take a taxi at the port for go there.. if you want a guide for learn what you see or if your company is less 3 persons choose boat's excursion..

Patmos: take a taxi at the port (very chip) and go to to the Cave of the Apolcalypse (you must tell to taxi driver what time must come back to ship)

Heraklion: take a taxi out of port (ask the price first) and go to Knossos.. you can go there and with local buses (close to port exit).. if you want a guide, you must take a boat's excursion.

Because of Greek crisis many museums are close in these ports (like Heraklion and Santorini).. maybe some of these open parts of their rooms.

here you can see the weather history at Santorini for May: http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/LGSR/2010/5/4/MonthlyHistory.html

At Aegean the sea temperature for May is between 65-75°F..

Awesome English, and great information!! Thanks!!

Archived