New to cruising

geddyupgo

Just getting into the cruise mode and thinking of taking a cruise to the Mediterrean - Pompeii, Istanbul, Ephesus, Santorini, etc. Not sure if any one cruise line hits all of those places at one time but would like to know what is a good time to experience good weather. We like the idea of sitting on deck and reading as we sail (we had a great experience last year on a Nile river cruise) but don't want to be wrapped in blankets with the wind whipping the books out of our hands. Any suggestions and experiences wouild be welcome. Thanks cruisers!!:)

Anytime between May and October. Fair changes of good weather in April and November, but also a chance of stormy weather. Some avoid July and August, as it can be pretty warm and humid, like our trip last August. However, I wouldn't not go just because it is warm or cold.

I am sure you can find a cruise that covers all or almost all of those ports. Just takes some looking.

Just getting into the cruise mode and thinking of taking a cruise to the Mediterrean - Pompeii, Istanbul, Ephesus, Santorini, etc. Not sure if any one cruise line hits all of those places at one time but would like to know what is a good time to experience good weather. We like the idea of sitting on deck and reading as we sail (we had a great experience last year on a Nile river cruise) but don't want to be wrapped in blankets with the wind whipping the books out of our hands. Any suggestions and experiences wouild be welcome. Thanks cruisers!!:)

A nice time to visit these places is in April or early May or October. It is far less hot and humid and also far less crowded than in the peak of the summer season.

Keith

Doubt you will get all of those ports in on cruise, but you might be able to do two back to back. July and August will be beastly hot. I will be doing it next year on HAL in early May. try http://www.cruisetimetables.com to research cruises by itinerary. Choose the most important port from the second list, and it will tell you who calls there and the itinerary. EM

Hi, we are sailing on Celebrity Equinox in June, starting in Rome and calling at Santorini, Athens, Istanbul, Ephesus, Mykonos and Naples (for Pompeii). This would seem to tick all your boxes. I expect the weather to be warm and sunny, but guess there are no guarantees!

Excellent midsizer is Oceania Cruises. They have well done scheduling (look always the time a vessel is staying in ports! Have seen a big vessel staying.... only 4 hours in Dubrovnik! With dis and embarking you have only 2 hours!) and kitchen is under the management of Chief Jacques Pépin, former chief of ex president Mitterand in France. Food is fine. Reservation in speciality as Polo Grill or Toscana... but NO fee to pay)

The vessel have for their size only 680 passengers (Nautica Insigna Regatta) and 1300 fort the new Marina.

Have done in summer 2009 Istanbul - Civittavecchia(Rome) on ms Nautica with Kusadasi(for visiting Ephese) , Rhodes, Delos & Mykonos, Santorini, Pireaus, Amalfi, Monaco, Livorno. but similar programms also Athens - Istanbul or vv available.

But you have also other excellent alternatives depending on your budget:

- Seabourn (all in) prefer the smaller types 208 passengers

- Windstar is something special

- Relatively new is the French "Compagnie du Ponant" (note bilingual annoucements English / French

April / may is a little early for the Med. End october november a bit late for the good weather. Of course July and August are hotter, but still ok (have done Windstar and Nautica in July early August) Note that you can sometimes obtain good rates in these months.

June, end August, september upto half october are excellent.

Hi, we are sailing on Celebrity Equinox in June, starting in Rome and calling at Santorini, Athens, Istanbul, Ephesus, Mykonos and Naples (for Pompeii). This would seem to tick all your boxes. I expect the weather to be warm and sunny, but guess there are no guarantees!

Thanks for the speedy response. I love the ports of call on your trip. I have definitely added the Eqinox to my ship research list. Enjoy your cruise and if it wouldn't be too much trouble, please post your reviews of both the ship and the various ports of call. I'm particularly interested in the ancient sites (Santorini, Pompeii and Ephesus) so I hope they allot lots of sightseeing time. Will you be taking ship's or private tours? I haven't done this very much so I need all the guidance you will be able to supply. Enjoy, Enjoy!!

We did this cruise on the Celebrity Solstice in May 2009. It was one of my all time favorites. Weather was perfect.

Archived