What is Security Like?

AmativeDame

First time cruiser here (obviously) and I was wondering if someone could give me an idea of what your average security set up is when embarking? I've been looking around a bit on other threads to see if I could get an idea of what to expect but the closest thing I've gotten to give me an idea of what to expect is the smuggling/booze threads which haven't helped much since I am not trying to do that.

From what I have read, its clear that cruise security is not the same as your average airport security - but is it just your normal baggage x-ray and metal detector for passengers? As long as you aren't holding anything metal, do you have to empty your pockets? (I am traveling with RCCL @ port canaveral if that makes any difference.)

I know it seems like such a silly question, but I always hate setting those silly things off (which I always seem to do) and I am just trying to figure out how much, or how little I have to worry about.

You walk through a metal detector and your carryon things go through the small detector exactly like at the airport. you also have your ship ID card which you present when getting on or off the ship. Pretty straight forward.

Like an airport, when you walk through the detector if you set it off they have the wands and will check you out.

The biggest difference is that unlike the airports if you have a computer you do not need to take it out of the bag nor do you need to take your shoes off.

You do need to take all items that might make the detector go off out of your pockets and place them in a bowl so they can be checked on the airport like xray machine along with any bags or other items you have.

Your luggage will be taken before you enter the check-in area, it will go through x-ray and later delivered to your cabin. Make sure your ship's luggage tag is attached.

The rest is similar to airports - carry-ons, jackets go through x-ray - but liquids are allowed, and you don't have to keep them separately. Take metal off you and don't forget all pockets - you will go through metal detector gates.

Going on and off the ship on port days: cabin card in the slot upon exiting, ID and card upon entering and also x-ray for your souvenirs and metal detectors for you.

Last year at Ocean terminal, Southampton, OH had to remove both his shoes and his belt and put them through the channels- before going to the detector gate. That's a first for us!

Jo.

I do know that you cannot carry on a pocket knife in your pocket! DH had his confiscated in NOLA (reclaimed when we returned) - I told him to just put it in his carry on bag as I'd seen others do that without a problem but he didn't.

No pat-downs as far as I know.

Archived