Once and for all...what's up with room service?

Lynniepoo

This may be a simple question, but DH and I have gone on two Princess cruises in the past (Diamond and Ruby), and were never able to figure out if room service was an extra charge or free, and we were too embarrassed to ask. I assume you tip, either up front or before leaving your cruise, but can anyone elaborate?

Thanks! :D

Free and a tip is appreciated. There are some snacks listed with a fee like the cheese plate and guacomle but it'll say if there's a charge.

A number of passengers order room service for breakfast. Personally, I've never done it but I know there's No Charge. I would definitely tip though :)

Dave

We had room service for breakfast 5 of the 7 days on the Crown Princess a few weeks ago. I enjoy having breakfast on our balcony. Keep in mind on Princess, the menu for Breakfast only lists cold items. if you want hot items, just write them on the list. They will bring them. We ordered 2 orders of bacon, but one was enough for 3 people. I ordered an omlet for my husband and another day ordered eggs. It was no problem . They bring you a full pot of coffee. Its great and you don't have to rush. We usually tip $2.00-$3.00 per delivery. The delivery comes at the time you ask for it. Great way to relax in the morning with no rush especially on port days.

A number of passengers order room service for breakfast. Personally, I've never done it but I know there's No Charge. I would definitely tip though :)

Is that tip in addition to the "automatic" tip charge that one can choose on Princess?

On our last cruise we ordered room service for breakfast probably 7 out of the 9 mornings. We got plenty of food, always got what we wanted even if we wrote in substitutions, and it was always hot. They even insisted on delivering it out to our balcony each morning. (Best place for breakfast in my opinion if you are in a warmer climate and the weather cooperates.) I do believe the suites get a different menu than other category staterooms. But unless there is a specific price for an item on the room service menu, it is free.

While not required, we always tip for room service $2- $3 per delivery. I know it's appreciated.

Correct. Technically its included in the autotip since they are DR waiters, but its more work for them to handle room service orders so its considered appropriate.

Is that tip in addition to the "automatic" tip charge that one can choose on Princess?

I love just sitting on my balcony in the morning, so I order breakfast most days. I'm not a big morning eater, so I just get the cold items: cereal, juice, yogurt, fruit, etc. I usually tip $2 per delivery. They charge a delivery charge for pizza. It was $3 per order, not per pizza. I'm not sure if it's still the same. I usually still tip my same $2 to the delivery person. It's fun to have pizza on the balcony. The auto tips technically do cover the room service people, but they probably get a very small percentage. I just like to give them extra.

Does anyone know the price for the room service pizza. Is it by the slice or can you get the entire pizza. I loved the previous idea of having pizza on the balcony.

Thanks

A whole boxed pizza is a $3 charge. You can also order whatever else you want with it..ie salads, for free. It will be our dinner at least 2 nights per cruise :)

While we keep reading about people that have done it, in our 8 Princess cruises no one we knew was able to write in hot items and get them - cereal, rolls, etc - no bacon and eggs unless you're in a full suite on any of the ships we've been on.

While we keep reading about people that have done it, in our 8 Princess cruises no one we knew was able to write in hot items and get them - cereal, rolls, etc - no bacon and eggs unless you're in a full suite on any of the ships we've been on.

The same here. Never any success writing in hot items for breakfast. Only the standard menu items with slight variations, but no hot breakfast has ever been delivered, even when written in.

This seems to be hit and miss venture and I sure would not want to count on what you have written in if in a hurry to go ashore, or those waiting for their big breakfast might spend the day pretty hungry. ;)

The same here. Never any success writing in hot items for breakfast. Only the standard menu items with slight variations,

Might be specific to cabin class? (We booked some kind of suite, I think, but I need to look at the invoice. I was mainly concerned about having a balcony. :o )

Might be specific to cabin class? (We booked some kind of suite, I think, but I need to look at the invoice. I was mainly concerned about having a balcony. :o )

If it's a VS suite or above, you will have full room service meals that can be ordered off the dining room menu. ;)

Does anyone know the price for the room service pizza. Is it by the slice or can you get the entire pizza. I loved the previous idea of having pizza on the balcony.

Thanks

It's included in your cruise fare. You can order a whole pizza. I don't think they deliver by the slice. You can go to the pizzeria and get it by the slice. They just charge a delivery charge. Last year, we had 3 side by side balconies and had a pizza party on the balcony. I think we ordered 4 pizzas. It was a lot of fun.

Archived