Once and for all...what's up with room service?

Lynniepoo

The same here. Never any success writing in hot items for breakfast. Only the standard menu items with slight variations, but no hot breakfast has ever been delivered, even when written in.

This seems to be hit and miss venture and I sure would not want to count on what you have written in if in a hurry to go ashore, or those waiting for their big breakfast might spend the day pretty hungry. ;)

Same with us - hit & miss regarding items written in. Once they called us at delivery time and said they'd need an extra half hour if DH wanted eggs.

Soup, chef salad and club sandwich were best I had on a ship...delivered to room. $2 to $3 tip seems to be norm. Write it on slip they give you when it's delivered.

There will be a room service menu in your cabin.

Any items that have a cost (party plates, alcohol, sodas, etc.) will be well identified.

The $3 charge for pizza delivery is to discourage waste. Before it was instituted, some people will order many pizzas and not eat much of what was ordered.

There will be a form in your cabin each evening for ordering the limited breakfast items. You indicate what you would like and the time of delivery and place it on the outside of your cabin. Since room service is 24 hours a day, you are not limited to the suggested delivery times on the card.

Room service personnel are included in the daily hotel charge ("auto-tip"). Many people feel the delivery person deserves a cash tip each time there is a delivery.

If you are in a full suite (not a mini-suite), you can order any items available from the main dining rooms during their meal times. Menus will be delivered to your cabin each evening.

Room service personnel are included in the daily hotel charge ("auto-tip"). Many people feel the delivery person deserves a cash tip each time there is a delivery.

If you are in a full suite (not a mini-suite), you can order any items available from the main dining rooms during their meal times.

Good clarification. We're in a mini-suite, so I guess breakfast will be continental style only if elect RS.

I haven't tried writing in hot items, but I was successful in getting bran muffins and bagels with smoked salmon. Also melon, but that may be on the card. But we didn't have a balcony cabin on the last few Princess cruises and breakfast in a cabin without a balcony isn't as nice.

On the Island Princess, we did order room service for lunch one day. It was very good: salads, lasagna, and flan.

While we keep reading about people that have done it, in our 8 Princess cruises no one we knew was able to write in hot items and get them - cereal, rolls, etc - no bacon and eggs unless you're in a full suite on any of the ships we've been on.

And Toto too I don't recall if we ordered room service bacon and eggs, pancakes, etc on our 1st cruise on Princess in 1991 but we have ordered these items on almost if not every cruise since then and have never been turned down, and always a generous tip in cash. Try again.:)

My understanding is that the cash tips you are giving to the delivery person is by policy "pooled" and shared by the whole staff. True?

We've always had great service and we have been known to get a few late night clubs. I always bring a stack of $1s with me for various tipping (on shore and for room service), and typically give $1-4 depending how much I get.

The room service menu is part of the blue binders that are in every stateroom, under their own tab called Room Service.

We've always had great service and we have been known to get a few late night clubs. I always bring a stack of $1s with me for various tipping (on shore and for room service), and typically give $1-4 depending how much I get.

How much is 'a stack?' I was thinking $30...is that good for a 7 day?

Thx...bambam

If you take the auto-tip off, yes. If not, they keep it, although most will share some with the RS Kitchen staff, even though they don't have to...

My understanding is that the cash tips you are giving to the delivery person is by policy "pooled" and shared by the whole staff. True?

The absolute best part of our entire cruise on CB was the"Balcony Breakfasts".

You can't imagine the feeling of rolling out of bed directly to the balcony for a pot of coffee (no matter how bad others say it is) and goodies to chomp on while you get the cobwebs out of your eyes, and the salt air in your lungs, complimented by the heat of the morning sun.

Then shower, dress and, for us, up to the buffet and sit at the back of the ship overlooking aft pool and the wake of the ship as you enjoy the "real" breakfast.

It is because of this that my wife now insists on having a balcony on any cruise we decide to go on. All because of the "Balcony Breakfasts".

And the only charge was the tip we gave each time it was delivered. We started at 2 dollars but went up as we enjoyed the experience more and more.

The absolute best part of our entire cruise on CB was the"Balcony Breakfasts".

You can't imagine the feeling of rolling out of bed directly to the balcony for a pot of coffee (no matter how bad others say it is) and goodies to chomp on while you get the cobwebs out of your eyes, and the salt air in your lungs, complimented by the heat of the morning sun.

Then shower, dress and, for us, up to the buffet and sit at the back of the ship overlooking aft pool and the wake of the ship as you enjoy the "real" breakfast.

Sounds like a plan! The more I read, the more jacked-up I get. I know, "Temper your enthusiasm, there WILL be glitches". And that's ok as long as I'm on, under, or in the water... :)

How much is 'a stack?' I was thinking $30...is that good for a 7 day?

Thx...bambam

I think so. We usually get between $20 and $40 so $30 is just perfect. It's still currency after all so even if you don't use all of them you can still spend it.

We often enjoy room service breakfast! Starting with the "card" we just add our extras! Oatmeal comes HOT, along with brown sugar and raisins too ;-)! Bran muffins and HOT chocolate by the pitcher are surefire winners. This is for an inside cabin so the "class" of cabin doesn't really matter at all.

msk1

• 5 months later...
We had room service for breakfast 5 of the 7 days on the Crown Princess a few weeks ago. I enjoy having breakfast on our balcony. Keep in mind on Princess, the menu for Breakfast only lists cold items. if you want hot items, just write them on the list. They will bring them. We ordered 2 orders of bacon, but one was enough for 3 people. I ordered an omlet for my husband and another day ordered eggs. It was no problem . They bring you a full pot of coffee. Its great and you don't have to rush. We usually tip $2.00-$3.00 per delivery. The delivery comes at the time you ask for it. Great way to relax in the morning with no rush especially on port days.

Wow I Hope this is True....Were in a Mini_Suite Nov 9th to Hawaii and would Love to be able to Order some Omlettes, Bacon, Toast, Fruit and Pastries and have them Delivered by room service on a few days and have Breakfast on the Balcony....

We May also try the Ultimate Breakast or Dinner on the Balcony while in port...:D

My DH likes to go up to Horizon Court and get breakfast for us........just what we each like. He brings it to our cabin, and Voila!, the perfect balcony breakfast! (He also likes to get up early and gets impatient waiting for me to get ready for the day, so that gives him something wonderful to do........he's my hero, and gets just what he wants for breakfast............what could be better? :)

Hank,

How is the Breakfast? We've thought many times of ordering room service for breakfast but have never done it. Is it hot?

Dave

We ordered breakfast several times...coffee was good and hot, but we usually got the continental breakfast- pastries, fruits, juice.

Our travel agent (my neice) sent us the champagne balcony breakfast....I believe the charge for that is somewhere around $39! (ours was free :D)!

Especially in a cabin with balcony, as coffee and pastries are great in the morning. Like others have said, a few dollars tip for the server is greatly appreciated.

Oh, and one more thing, your cabin steward will clear your tray/dishes. You don't leave them on the floor in the hall. Some don't realize this and you will walk down a hallway with dirty dishes on the floor and it's really gross!!

I'm looking forward to breakfast on my balcony in April. Normally I prefer to go to the Horizon Court (or Lido on HAL) and chose many small helpings of delicious food. Fruit, salmon, meat, cheese, museli, and other delights I don't indulge at home. I love meeting new people and learning new things. But, this cruise, I think I will sit back and relax.

Another question - what are the mechanics of giving the tip? Is it given to the server when he brings it to your cabin or added onto something you sign? Just to help clarify for those of us not in the know. Great information.

Before departing on the Cruise I stop by my Bank and purchase several $2.00 bills that I use for tipping. Now I am an experienced customer of my Bank so I know I have to schedule extra time to get what I want. First the Teller will look me right in the eye and tell me they have no $2.00 bills. That is when I tell them I will wait right here while you go back into the safe and bring some out.

Using the $2.00 bills makes me unique and it is not long before the staff remembers me. Especially if I am so happy with the service that I give them two or more.

While I am here, let me tell my Wife's story on writing in a special order for breakfast room service. Along with my coffee and roll she wrote in 5 bacon's because she wanted 5 strips of bacon. Much to her surprise she received 5 orders of bacon. So, be careful on what you write down on the order card.

Bob

Before departing on the Cruise I stop by my Bank and purchase several $2.00 bills that I use for tipping. Now I am an experienced customer of my Bank so I know I have to schedule extra time to get what I want. First the Teller will look me right in the eye and tell me they have no $2.00 bills. That is when I tell them I will wait right here while you go back into the safe and bring some out.

Using the $2.00 bills makes me unique and it is not long before the staff remembers me. Especially if I am so happy with the service that I give them two or more.

While I am here, let me tell my Wife's story on writing in a special order for breakfast room service. Along with my coffee and roll she wrote in 5 bacon's because she wanted 5 strips of bacon. Much to her surprise she received 5 orders of bacon. So, be careful on what you write down on the order card.

Bob

Interesting idea but not sure it is worth the trouble-first your chasing around to find them but more importantly I wouldn't think these bills would be readily accepted particularly outside the US. I have used them occasionally in the Midwest and you would think I was trying to pay for something with Monopoly money. Good idea and intention- just wondering how it works for the recipient.

A whole boxed pizza is a $3 charge. You can also order whatever else you want with it..ie salads, for free. It will be our dinner at least 2 nights per cruise :)

Our next cruise we are skipping formal night. So one night I think we'll do this and the other night we might try the Ultimate Balcony Dining Experience (or whatever they call it :p).

Archived