Once and for all...what's up with room service?

Lynniepoo

Interesting idea but not sure it is worth the trouble-first your chasing around to find them but more importantly I wouldn't think these bills would be readily accepted particularly outside the US. I have used them occasionally in the Midwest and you would think I was trying to pay for something with Monopoly money. Good idea and intention- just wondering how it works for the recipient.

Actually we always get $2 bills also and we are remembered well (I don't know if it's because of the bills necessarily, but it's quite possible). I'm already going to the bank to get money for my cruise, so it's not a problem to get the $2 bills. I've never had a problem with anyone excepting the bills on vacation in ports or in our country.

On our May 2011 Sapphire Princess cruise to Mexico we had breakfast room service every morning (except disembarkation day) and we penciled in on the order card each evening for omelet's and bacon for two and received everything we requested. No questions or problems with omelets/bacon. However, for one morning I had also requested waffles and upon delivery there were no waffles and a note saying that you have to get waffles from waffle counter up on deck or in Horizon Court. Not a big deal.

We have also had the Balcony Champagne Breakfast a few cruises and definitely recommend it - mini-quiches/lox & bagels/pastries/fruit/etc and of course, the half bottle of champagne with optional orange juice. We recently did the Ultimate Balcony Dining on our last cruise while tendered overnight in Cabo San Lucas at sunset and it was exceptional. More food than you can imagine with great dessert, complimentary cocktail and more.

Another question - what are the mechanics of giving the tip? Is it given to the server when he brings it to your cabin or added onto something you sign? Just to help clarify for those of us not in the know. Great information.

A year or so ago, I asked a young lady who delivered our morning coffee, etc. whether she got to keep the tip. I was told that if we tip in cash they can keep it; if added to the receipt, which you must sign, it goes into the tipping pool.

Before departing on the Cruise I stop by my Bank and purchase several $2.00 bills that I use for tipping. Now I am an experienced customer of my Bank so I know I have to schedule extra time to get what I want. First the Teller will look me right in the eye and tell me they have no $2.00 bills. That is when I tell them I will wait right here while you go back into the safe and bring some out.

Using the $2.00 bills makes me unique and it is not long before the staff remembers me. Especially if I am so happy with the service that I give them two or more.

Bob

Someone told us to do that years ago. We started it in Mexico and everyone just looked at the bils and finally we said something to our driver that we used many times. We said we heard it was a treat to recieve the $2 bills and he said no, many places would not take them so they really did not appreciate getting them.

First of all, the cruise staff will smile and say a big thank you no matter what you give them. And they remember you whether you tip or not. I'd stay with the regular $1 bills.

My DH likes to go up to Horizon Court and get breakfast for us........just what we each like. He brings it to our cabin, and Voila!, the perfect balcony breakfast! (He also likes to get up early and gets impatient waiting for me to get ready for the day, so that gives him something wonderful to do........he's my hero, and gets just what he wants for breakfast............what could be better? :)

OMG!!!! Are we married to the same man???

Interesting idea but not sure it is worth the trouble-first your chasing around to find them but more importantly I wouldn't think these bills would be readily accepted particularly outside the US. I have used them occasionally in the Midwest and you would think I was trying to pay for something with Monopoly money. Good idea and intention- just wondering how it works for the recipient.

Actually we always get $2 bills also and we are remembered well (I don't know if it's because of the bills necessarily, but it's quite possible). I'm already going to the bank to get money for my cruise, so it's not a problem to get the $2 bills. I've never had a problem with anyone accepting the bills on vacation in ports or in our country.

At least on the ship the employees can change them with a Princess cashier.

It's included in your fare so it's complimentary. No need to tip, it's part of your daily mandatory tip and since princess has figured it out no need to reinvent the wheel and guess what to tip, it's already done.

Well, this of course is my own opinion, but I respectfully disagree with you. Because the food is complimentary doesn't mean that I don't have to tip. I knew someone who only tipped on the amount on the bill, even if it was a 2 for 1 meal, or we had a gift card. Not fair to the person working hard so that I enjoy my meal.

I don't think it's reinventing the wheel to give the person delivering my food $1.00 or $2.00, and if they set it up nicely or do something else special, a bit more.

As I said, just my opinion.

Well, this of course is my own opinion, but I respectfully disagree with you. Because the food is complimentary doesn't mean that I don't have to tip. .

YOU DID TIP, the $12 per person per day included this service. If you want to double tip that's fine but most people don't tip on top of their tip but fell free to do as you see fit.

This may be a simple question, but DH and I have gone on two Princess cruises in the past (Diamond and Ruby), and were never able to figure out if room service was an extra charge or free, and we were too embarrassed to ask. I assume you tip, either up front or before leaving your cruise, but can anyone elaborate?

Thanks! :D

I usually order a pot of tea for early morning wake up and always have a tip ready to hand to them. Some take and some just put the tray down and leave...so???

YOU DID TIP, the $12 per person per day included this service. If you want to double tip that's fine but most people don't tip on top of their tip but fell free to do as you see fit.

The $11.50 (cheap cabin) I pay for tips every day doesn't cover what I would tip one person at home for a restaurant meal, let alone the cabin steward and the multitude of food service and other people who split the tip. If you think of all of the people who get a cut of that $11.50 or $12.00 a day, I guess the room service guy probably gets 20 cents, or less.

I am not a wealthy woman, and I pay decent money for a cruise, particulaly since I often sail solo; and for the few times I use room service, it doesn't make or break me to part with a couple of dollars for a tip, but it makes a big difference to the person I give it to.

Again, just my opinion.

Maureen

Have to disagree. I think most people tip $1-2 for breakfast room service.

I agree with the previous poster, the extra small amount is not much for us, but for the person who delivers the room service, it adds up for multiple deliveries made and makes a difference.

:eek:

We had room service for breakfast 5 of the 7 days on the Crown Princess a few weeks ago. I enjoy having breakfast on our balcony. Keep in mind on Princess, the menu for Breakfast only lists cold items. if you want hot items, just write them on the list. They will bring them. We ordered 2 orders of bacon, but one was enough for 3 people. I ordered an omlet for my husband and another day ordered eggs. It was no problem . They bring you a full pot of coffee. Its great and you don't have to rush. We usually tip $2.00-$3.00 per delivery. The delivery comes at the time you ask for it. Great way to relax in the morning with no rush especially on port days.

They won't all the time. We wrote on the breakfast menue ham and cheese omlets pleaase when we sailed on the Caribbean to NE/Canada. As a matter of fact they were late with the breakfast and the items we did order along with the omlets were not delivered at all:eek:

Archived