Bringing Beer on Princess ships, once and for all

Front Row

OK folks need your help, I have seen answers on this question that have gone both ways, yes beer is allowed, no it's not!

I want to hear of your experience in bringing beer on board. I'm not interested in smuggling it on board I want to walk right up the gangway with it just like a bottle of wine.

Is this allowed or not?

For those who believe it is allowed, can I put a luggae tag on it and have it brought to my cabin?

FYI I'm boarding the Coral at Canada Place. Thanks

It's not wine or champagne, so it is not actually allowed per the Princess rules. But many have been able to take it onboard. Not sure I would stick a luggage tag on it in it's case and expect it to be delivered though.

Here are my thoughts....

Generally, during embarkation, the security is not conducted via ship crew but port. I may be wrong about that, but it has been my general experience that the port security is not as strict about checking for alcohol than when you come back aboard the ship from a port stop.

Princess is one of the very few cruise liners left that, although has a policy that prohibits you from smuggling or blatantly bringing mass quantitites of alcohol aboard, generally looks the other way. I imagine that they might see that people remain loyal to the cruise line that treats them like adults rather than the others that practically strip search your luggage.

That being said....

If you blatantly walk onto the ship with beer in your hands, I would almost expect it to be confiscated. Nothing is worse than someone openly violating the ship's alcohol policy.

Now, if you take that beer and stuff it in a suitcase or duffel bag, then place a luggage tag on it, chances are very good it will make it to your room.

Just got off Crown Princess a little over a week ago. We bought massive amounts of hard liqour. All we did was bubble wrap it, put it in a huge duffle bag, and luggage tag it. The bag made it to our room no problem. However, we would NEVER think of openly advertising the fact we are bringing liquor aboard. That's a sure way of ruining it for everyone everywhere. Enough people do it, and Princess will certainly crack down on the policy as hard as the other liners currently are.

We have returned from port with a four pack of the local beer in cans several times just this month. Put it through the scanner (in the store plastic bag), and collected it on the other side with no problem. My husband feels there is not much difference in the sense they allow you one bottle of wine. I recognize they could in fact take it from us, however, I would not be out much money. We wanted to see the sights, not sit and drink while in ports yet still sample the local brews that are not available on the ship. I appreciate that Princess does not spend their time searching for a few beers but hopefully looking for dangerous items.

We have returned from port with a four pack of the local beer in cans several times just this month. Put it through the scanner (in the store plastic bag), and collected it on the other side with no problem. My husband feels there is not much difference in the sense they allow you one bottle of wine. I recognize they could in fact take it from us, however, I would not be out much money. We wanted to see the sights, not sit and drink while in ports yet still sample the local brews that are not available on the ship. I appreciate that Princess does not spend their time searching for a few beers but hopefully looking for dangerous items.

Did the same thing in Hawaii (Golden Feb 2011) with no problems at all.....:)

Bob

We also had no problem in Alaska. We asked Security when we boarded the ship, and they allowed us to bring one six pack back from port. I think any more than that, and they would have confiscated it until the final day.

On our 2010 Western Carribbeen cruise on the Crown it was posted in the Patter's for Grand Caymen :) We wish to remind you that alcohol (excluding champagne,wine & beer)purchased in any port of call will be collected .

The official rule is that beer is not permitted to be brought on board. That said, Princess has chosen not to enforce the rule at this time. They can change this stance at any moment, or a particular crew can be more insistent about it than others.

So bring it if you want, being discreet is recommended, and don't be upset if they take it.

I was on the same Crown cruise as NJRonbo. We brought 2 bottles of hard liquor. One was in my checked in luggage and one was in DH's carry on. I carried a large LL Bean boat bag as my carry on and had an 18 pack of beer at the bottom. Every bit of alcohol was allowed on board with no problem.

A little off topic, I did put a luggage tag on a case of water and that was also sent right to the room. The baggage handler did ask, "You want this to be sent up?" and we just said yes please.

Last summer, Carribean Princess- eveyone on CC

said a small amount of beer NO ISSUE...wrong....we had a 6 pack in our carryon and it was left in Brooklyn....

and we had to remember to get it when we returned..

Bernadette

Last summer, Carribean Princess- eveyone on CC

said a small amount of beer NO ISSUE...wrong....we had a 6 pack in our carryon and it was left in Brooklyn....

and we had to remember to get it when we returned..

Bernadette

Really? Dang it. We're leaving on the CB out of Brooklyn in a couple weeks, and I really wanted to bring 6 or 12 of my recent favorite brew --River Horse's Tripel Horse = YUMMY!!!

Here are my thoughts....

Generally, during embarkation, the security is not conducted via ship crew but port. I may be wrong about that, but it has been my general experience that the port security is not as strict about checking for alcohol than when you come back aboard the ship from a port stop.

Princess is one of the very few cruise liners left that, although has a policy that prohibits you from smuggling or blatantly bringing mass quantitites of alcohol aboard, generally looks the other way. I imagine that they might see that people remain loyal to the cruise line that treats them like adults rather than the others that practically strip search your luggage.

That being said....

If you blatantly walk onto the ship with beer in your hands, I would almost expect it to be confiscated. Nothing is worse than someone openly violating the ship's alcohol policy.

Now, if you take that beer and stuff it in a suitcase or duffel bag, then place a luggage tag on it, chances are very good it will make it to your room.

Just got off Crown Princess a little over a week ago. We bought massive amounts of hard liqour. All we did was bubble wrap it, put it in a huge duffle bag, and luggage tag it. The bag made it to our room no problem. However, we would NEVER think of openly advertising the fact we are bringing liquor aboard. That's a sure way of ruining it for everyone everywhere. Enough people do it, and Princess will certainly crack down on the policy as hard as the other liners currently are.

Like your thinking :)

Here are my thoughts....

Like your thinking :)

There is a world of difference between bringing a six pack of beer in your luggage or a carry on tote and standing on the gangway with a rolling cooler filled to the brim with a week's worth of beer or suitcase full of liquor like you're heading for a week long rock concert which is what was occurring several years ago on various lines.

I agree re: CB out of Brooklyn, saw them confiscating beer.

Also in FLL the year before the woman in front of me had a 12-pack of beer that was confiscated. I had two bottles of wine; they took one.

Just bad luck or bad timing, I guess. There is no sure thing when you are not abiding by the rules.

it would not have been in our carry on....

Everyone kept posting to just put it in the carry-on....that they always carried some on

and it was only 6...that we would have no problem....

so it was no biggie.....but it was a problem.....hahahaha

Bernadette

OneStarTattoo..Heather..Being a Celiac, I like the idea of maybe being able to bring on GF beer, of course purely medicinal. I might take some on board next cruise. GF beer has never been available on Princess ships, to my knowledge.

At the end of the day, it is really up to the particular Ships's Senior Security Officer as to how rigidly they enforce Princess alcohol policy. I have no doubt each OIC Security gives their staff certain instructions at the gangway.

Perhaps I could E mail Carnival Corp re same and if approved, take a copy of their reply on board nailed to my carton of GF Beer.

What say ye?

• 4 weeks later...
OneStarTattoo..Heather..Being a Celiac, I like the idea of maybe being able to bring on GF beer, of course purely medicinal.

Perhaps I could E mail Carnival Corp re same and if approved, take a copy of their reply on board nailed to my carton of GF Beer.

What say ye?

I am also a celiac and I like had the exact same idea. Have you emailed them yet?

Yours in gluten free goodness.. :p

I wonder what their stance would be on gluten free beer? Just like the local brews it's not something Princess sells so I wonder if I could bring some GF beer on. We could call it medicinal. :D

Too funny!!:D:D:D

I am also a celiac and I like had the exact same idea. Have you emailed them yet?

Yours in gluten free goodness.. :p

I got a reply back, Head Office said, up to Security at Gangway, but to ask nicely, should not be an issue, as GF beer is not available on board. They also said I could fax Princess Special Services well before embarkation and they would order me a case of GF beer and deliver to my cabin, however could not give a price. I will attempt to bring on some GF beer at Civitavecchia, if I can find some down there of course.

Brought a case of Bud in my backpack in April...nothing said.:)Even if they ever take it,it"s only $10.00 in Miami.....$20.00 in Canada!!!It would cost about $50.00 on ship.Still spent about $1,000.00 on drinks and tours in 10 days.So Princess is still making a huge profit.

Archived