Beware of what carnival calls "early saver"

agabbymama

Just a word of caution to beware of what Carnival calls their "Early Saver" booking. I called Carnival to book a short 2 day cruise for my granddaughter and myself for December 2011. I was not informed I was purchasing "Early Saver", made a $200 deposit. I was not informed that deposit was non-refundable and non-transferable.

I now find I have to cancel the cruise, so I've just lost that $200 deposit.

That's the last $$ Carnival will see from me.

Its always a good idea while you are on the phone discussing booking a cruise to ask which rate is being booked. OP said they never discussed that it was early saver. So, its a good warning to those booking on the phone to ASK before you book. Is this a senior, past guest .. what rate am I booking?

ES is quite restrictive .. I hate it.

With over 5000 posts, you should know better.

Yup,

At 64 years old, 7 cruises under my belt and OVER 5000 POSTS, guess I should have known better. However, I had never heard of "Early Saver" before on Carnival, NCL, Princess, HAL, Celebrity or RCCI.

So it was quite a shock to find out that's what I booked and that it was non-refundable. My 7 cruises were always refundable up until final payment date.

Yup,

At 64 years old, 7 cruises under my belt and OVER 5000 POSTS, guess I should have known better. However, I had never heard of "Early Saver" before on Carnival, NCL, Princess, HAL, Celebrity or RCCI.

So it was quite a shock to find out that's what I booked and that it was non-refundable. My 7 cruises were always refundable up until final payment date.

Thanks for the heads up Eleanor. Not being a Carnival cruiser, I wouldn't have known either. We've never sailed on a line with a deposit that is non-refundable prior to final payment.

Just a word of caution to beware of what Carnival calls their "Early Saver" booking. I called Carnival to book a short 2 day cruise for my granddaughter and myself for December 2011. I was not informed I was purchasing "Early Saver", made a $200 deposit. I was not informed that deposit was non-refundable and non-transferable.

I now find I have to cancel the cruise, so I've just lost that $200 deposit.

That's the last $$ Carnival will see from me.

So if, as you claim, Carnival was negligent in this matter, why haven't you filed a claim with your credit card company. If all is as you say, you will get your money back.

Side point: as already stated, the only penalty for cancelling early saver is $50., not $200. Any deposit left after the $50. penalty is available for up to 2 years on another cruise.

Still, you should file with your cc company.

Thank you for posting. I was not aware of this either. It is a good reminder that we should always ask.

Just like there are agencys that advertise on these boards that have a cancellation fee. They are quick to talk you into taking the deposit to hold your cabin. You will get your money back if your need to cancel before final payment. They do not tell you unless you ask that there is a $50 cancellation fee and you will lose all the insurance money.

What is with the need to attack? The OP posted about something she wasn't aware of and used these boards to make others aware of it, a key reason these boards exist. Why on earth do others feel justified in attacking her?

I understand brand loyalty, but this is a little out of hand. Carnival (or any other cruise line) is a product, not a member of one's family!

To anyone normal, your complaint is perfectly understandable. The early saver rate is not cruise wide and as far as I know Carnival is the only major cruise line offering it. Your post is very helpful to those who don't know Carnival's ways and are not familiar with this.

Just ignore the retards. I'm actually surprised they found their way off the CCL board. :rolleyes:

So if, as you claim, Carnival was negligent in this matter, why haven't you filed a claim with your credit card company. If all is as you say, you will get your money back.

Side point: as already stated, the only penalty for cancelling early saver is $50., not $200. Any deposit left after the $50. penalty is available for up to 2 years on another cruise.

Still, you should file with your cc company.

I haven't filed with my credit card company, as after many posts in response to the thread on Carnival, I went to the Carnival website, and it is plastered all over about the "Early Saver". I felt it would be she said, Carnival said. And I would lose anyway. A little more research on my part before booking might have alerted me what I was actually booking.

As to not losing the money, I certainly don't plan on sailing with Carnival and giving them anymore of my money. So whether it is still sitting there for a future cruise is a moot point.

Thank you to Crusaholic, euro cruiser, Sandy Sails, EGG and operafan for understanding the reason that I posted in the first place, that it wasn't just to bash Carnival.

I'm willing to accept the responsibility that I SHOULD have researched more before booking.

Happy travels to all.

How many cruisers- especially first timers -- will know to ask about different rates.

a cruise price is a cruise price. If I ask for the cheapest rate possible someone on the other end better be telling people about the Early Saver rate and how it works.

OP- your deposit can be used for a future cruise. You only lost 50.00 per person.

I've posted hundreds of times and wasn't aware of this until about 6 months ago. I usually cruise with RCCL, however, I checked out the price of a short cruise and called my TA about a Carnival cruise rate. He explained to me that the price I was quoted was Early Saver and explained the penalties. The Carnival rep did not. Had it not been for my TA, I wouldn't have known and would have been screwed. I think this is just a warning and should be taken at face value as information the OP is sharing. I was relieved that I didn't book this for transfer to my TA..WHEW..dodged the bullet.

Always two sides to every thing. Many cruisers love the Early Saver rates. You get a discount for booking early. You get price drops matched even after final payments. You are charged 50 to rebook to another date if necessary. The only reason NOT to do Early Saver is if you are not committed to cruising on Carnival in the near future. Otherwise even if you find a cruise on another line that fits better in the short term, you can rebook your Carnival cruise.

And they do have the standard booking categories that the other lines have with the same kind of cancellation policies that do still provide a good comparable value for those who prefer those policies.

Yup,

RCL also now no longer gives price drops after final payment.

Carnival isnt the only one who has changed the rules lately.

Always two sides to every thing. Many cruisers love the Early Saver rates. You get a discount for booking early.

Many of us remember the days BEFORE early saver .... when all rates at Carnival you got the price drops.

As far as the so called discount .. its the same prices as before early saver existed ... just called a new name.

Im one who hates ES. I got caught with the no name changes allowed with ES .. there are many rules that people dont get told when they book ES .. they find out later.

I would add there are so many nitpicking details with ES that you really cant depend on any booking agent to go over all the rules.

No cabin changes .. well sometimes a upgrade. its in writing, you cannot ever downgrade.

No name changes.. they forget to disclose this one too. All other rates for $50 you can do a last minute $50 name change to another pax (this one got me).

Iv been round and round with some of their legal gobbilty gook on the rules that they say says no cabin changes ..OP just ran into one of the rules .. there are others with ES that can grab you.

We booked a European cruise with Carnival (14 days) and had to cancel probably a year before the cruise. Our deposit was $1000. Rather than lose the entire amount, we booked a five-day cruise to Mexico. It cost us $100 to transfer the booking. We have ten or so Carnival cruises under our belt. It was all spelled out in the confirmation (in small print). But like the other cruiser, we didn't ask all the right questions. We did learn our lesson. Hopefully, we have to pay much when the time comes. Joan

Archived