Just back from a Mediterranean Cruise on Marina

philipb

Have just done a 10 day cruise aboard Marina and I have posted a review of the ship in the Ship Reviews section of this site for those who are interested in Oceania's latest offering.

Have just done a 10 day cruise aboard Marina and I have posted a review of the ship in the Ship Reviews section of this site for those who are interested in Oceania's latest offering.

Thanks for the review. Perhaps we are lucky to be on Deck 8.

I did have a question about the dinner reservations. You said you had trouble getting reservations at the Asian restaurant even though you were in a Penthouse suite. I would have thought you would have the best chance. We do like Asian food; what would be the best way for us to get reservations there?

I guess if the entertainment is weak, we could eat later and avoid the shows.

We were offered a table at 6.30pm or 9.00pm and neither time suited us. Red Ginger was the most requested of all the speciality restaurants. I suggest you book at the first opportunity - either on-line or when you go on board. Your cabin on Deck 8 should be fine.

Thanks for taking the time to write and post your review. I never would have thought of the light issue in a penthouse suite, so I am sure your advice will be useful to many.

BTW, we had absolutely no problem getting the dinner reservation times we wanted on our June cruise although we are in a cabin category that only could book 45 days ahead. However, we did reserve some early times so that hopefully we can play some of the fun evening musical trivia.

I did have a question about the dinner reservations. You said you had trouble getting reservations at the Asian restaurant even though you were in a Penthouse suite. I would have thought you would have the best chance. We do like Asian food; what would be the best way for us to get reservations there?

It makes sense (to me anyway) to book all you allowed dinner reservations online as soon as they are bookable (depends on cabin category).

This way you are most likely to get your choice of days and times. If you wait to book onboard your choices may be more limited. That said, if you meet some people later that you want to share a meal with, you can always try to make those changes onboard.

On my 19 day cruise on the Marina I ate 12 meals in the specialty restaurants including three times in Red Ginger all at 7:30 or 8PM. Making sure your butler gets those for you is really the only reason to have on imo.

I, of course, noticed the overhang on the balcony but I have to say the suite never seemed dark and I sat outside a few times reading and it was sunny enough for me. It didn't stream into the suite but if it did I would have drawn the curtains.

Seems strange Horizons bar was not open in the daytime :confused:

On our cruise they were open 10am to closing on sea days but on port days they opened at 3pm

Maybe your cruise was more port intensive than ours

We were on the 11th deck and we actually were glad that the overhang was there. I loved sitting on the balcony without having the sun glaring down. We never thought the room was dark...in fact, we've already booked another cruise in the same stateroom. Loved the room--its size and location were excellent and the amenities were perfect.

Just proves the old adage about different strokes is true.

My wife and I were on the same cruise, also on the 11th floor. I agree with everything philipb said. The overhang certainly detracted from what was an otherwise excellent cabin (except for the low ceilings and tiny shower).

It is a pity that he didn't visit Red Ginger. In our opinion it was far superior to any of the other alternative dining venues.

• 3 weeks later...

A few other things I should have mentioned in my review:

• the comfortable beds - second to none
  • the quietness of the cabin. I cannot ever remember such unobtrusive air-conditioning
  • the rather silly use of space where they have put the putting green (top deck forward)

We too were on the "Pearls of the Riviera" cruise and agree with aZ4Me

that we really liked the overhang.

Also we both enjoyed the bath very much and would have happily parted with the shower.

We really enjoyed the 18-hole putting course. Played it several times with friends (my wife beat me the first time with an incredible total of 5 holes-in-one!).

What else should they have put there? The ship has ample space, except in the showers and the spa changing rooms (which are to be expanded)...

We will be booking a cruise on Marina for Nov. 14th out of Athens. It will be our first cruise on Oceania and also our first in this class level. I have appreciated reading everyone's posts. They have been very helpful. We are looking to book a A4 cabin hoping to take advantage of the concierge level upgrade. I would love to have someone reassure me that the increase in fare is worth it. My husband and I are 49 and 52. We will also be traveling with our 12 year old son since it is during his Thanksgiving break. I realize this is not a child friendly cruise but my son is extremely well traveled and used to this level of luxury. I would appreciate any suggestions.

IF your child enjoys traveling you will have an excellent cruise. Most people would stop and talk to the few children that were on board. We took our children on cruises where there was few children and they enjoyed the ports and all of the historical sites. If you book private tours, you can get a tour guide that will show you things that would really appeal to a 12 year old if you tell them what they are interested in. This would probably be more reasonable for you than booking the ship's tours as well.

Thank you. My son loves anything having to do with ancient ruins so I think he will really enjoy the ports in Greece and Turkey. I already started looking into private tours. Your suggestion not to do the ship tours is a good one as his energy level may be a little higher than the others in the group. He tends to be on the adventurous side. Since he has already done Florence many times I think we will go hike the trails of Cinque Terre instead. Thanks for the help.

We really enjoyed the 18-hole putting course. Played it several times with friends (my wife beat me the first time with an incredible total of 5 holes-in-one!).

What else should they have put there? The ship has ample space, except in the showers and the spa changing rooms (which are to be expanded)...

Well, I think they should have left a lot of room at the front near the windscreens, for example. If they didn't want the cabanas, why not just a row or two of nice loungers open for everyone? I would enjoy that.

Or they could just leave the section near the windscreens more empty. The problem is that the golf course putting is too close to the forward area where more people would like to view and maybe sit or lounge.

Thank you. My son loves anything having to do with ancient ruins so I think he will really enjoy the ports in Greece and Turkey. I already started looking into private tours. Your suggestion not to do the ship tours is a good one as his energy level may be a little higher than the others in the group. He tends to be on the adventurous side. Since he has already done Florence many times I think we will go hike the trails of Cinque Terre instead. Thanks for the help.

Come join our roll call - there are a few other members that are bringing their children along as well - your son should be in good company!! This is our first time on Oceania as well, and again there are several of us on the CC RC that are first timers to O as well.

Shelly

Archived