volcanic ash worry

gyork0206

am worried sick over it!

Supposed to fly to Majorca from Manchester on Saturday ready to cruise on sunday.

Feel close to tears as its my husbands 40th surprise and I have put so much into it...

very fed up!!

We were on the Explorer last year when the other Icelandic volcano erupted...I remember watching the airline mess on the stateroom TV. There were quite a few cruisers who were worried about getting home. I hope everything works out for you all.

thanks the BBC are reporting that the Icelandic airspace is closed and hope that the disruption will not be as bad, but I am just worried abot any delay at all as we fly into Barcelona on the day of the cruise

I fly out the day before but if the delays get as bad as last time then that wont do me any good.

I dont care about coming home...only back for work so am happy to "rough" it in Majorca in a hotel :)

Just worried sick about getting there in the first place....

Mind you what would RCI do ... I mean they have passengers who must book air through them and they will be in the same situation as me!

I haven't been reading up on the volcanic ask and Iceland, but one of our clients is from England and just flew to the US from London yesterday. Her plane arrived in the US early afternoon if that helps. In fact, her plane landed almost 2 hours earlier than originally scheduled. When I spoke to her yesterday she didn't mention the volcanic ash so I didn't know anything about it til logged in here.

They are saying that the eruption is significantly bigger than last year!

However, winds are sending the ash towards Greenland...the worry is that the winds may change and this means that ash would reach Scotland as soon as Tuesday this week....

I feel for everyone affected by the ash cloud - I would be worried sick as well, if I was traveling in the near future. I do hope you all have insurance, so at least you will be compensated. It doesn't make up for the lost trip - nothing would - but it would help ease the pain.

Good luck to you all, and I hope the winds co-operate. The ash is heavier, so it's falling to the ground faster. They don't have the fine dust that they did with the last eruption.

They are saying on the BBC that it is a differant kind of ash this time (if there is such a thing) and that it wont have a significant effect on air travel. so fingers crossed you will all get on your cruises without any problem.

hope you all have wonderful cruises:)

Nick

I read that the ash particles are bigger/heavier this time, so they will fall to the ground faster. They don't anticipate that the ash cloud will therefore be as broad spread as last year. I hope "they" know what they're talking about.

I can give the volcano two weeks to calm down, otherwise our cruise is toast. We are flying on Icelandair San Diego to Oslo, through Reykjavik, on June 5th, two weeks from today. Kind thoughts would be appreciated:(.

Patricia

I can give the volcano two weeks to calm down, otherwise our cruise is toast. We are flying on Icelandair San Diego to Oslo, through Reykjavik, on June 5th, two weeks from today. Kind thoughts would be appreciated:(.

Patricia

I am hoping it calms quickly too. My son is in the UK for 3 weeks for an engineering course. They are leaving London in the morning for a week in Scotland.:( Hoping the winds don't change. He is set to fly out of Heathrow on June 6th and starts a summer internship 2 days later.:eek:

I skyped him earlier and asked what he thought of the volcano, he said, what volcano.:rolleyes:

Hope you make your cruise.:)

I sympathise with anyone scheduled to fly soon into Europe, my return to the UK from Stockholm, Sweden was affected last year and resulted in a 54 hour journey by train, rental car, taxi & ferry.

Our cruise out of Barcelona on Adventure of the Seas exactly 1 year ago yesterday was threatened when UK airports were closed, but we took the train to London, coach & ferry to Paris and train to Barcelona.

The only advice I can give to anyone in the UK trying to get to Barcelona, is to try the train to London, Eurostar to Paris and then TGV to Figueras in Spain and a connecting train to Barcelona. We did just this on the 12th May for our 14th May sailing on Liberty of the seas.

The first part of my cruise review gives you the details of how we did it 10 days ago.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=83193

I sympathise with anyone scheduled to fly soon into Europe, my return to the UK from Stockholm, Sweden was affected last year and resulted in a 54 hour journey by train, rental car, taxi & ferry.

Our cruise out of Barcelona on Adventure of the Seas exactly 1 year ago yesterday was threatened when UK airports were closed, but we took the train to London, coach & ferry to Paris and train to Barcelona.

The only advice I can give to anyone in the UK trying to get to Barcelona, is to try the train to London, Eurostar to Paris and then TGV to Figueras in Spain and a connecting train to Barcelona. We did just this on the 12th May for our 14th May sailing on Liberty of the seas.

The first part of my cruise review gives you the details of how we did it 10 days ago.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=83193

My cruise is from Palma on Sunday.

I could use the route you describe to Barcelona and then a ferry from Barcelona to Majorca....this would work but it would take considerable time and the cost would be more than the cruise :eek:

So for me the dilemma would be to pay a huge sum of money and have significant stress getting there or potentially loose what I have paid.

I wouldnt get a penny back on the actual cruise ...I booked my flights seperate to my cruise so im betting RCI wont refund me should it be cancelled due to the ash.

Insurance is little use in this situation.

I know people last year that could not fly and insurance did not cover them "act of god" and all that stuff the insurers quote...

To be honest even small delays from next weekend mean it will be absolute chaos at european airports...it is the school holidays and all airports are super busy anyway.

Really hoping it doesnt come to this!!!!

We just got off Vision of the Seas in Copenhagen, Denmark. Our flight Monday, goes through Reykjavik, Iceland (Copenhagen-Reykjavik-NYC JFK). Air space over Iceland is now closed :eek: :eek:. Unfortunately, we are flying Icelandair and all off their flights go through Reykjavik. Not sure what will happen. Customer service is closed until the morning. I hope they will put us on another airline to the states. It is sooo expensive to stay here in Copenhagen.

Diana

Though we cruise out of oslo 3 weeks from now, my mom has a connecting flight in Iceland 2 days before we sail. Should be worried?

I would probably be less worried...im sure last time it didnt last for more than a week x

We just got off Vision of the Seas in Copenhagen, Denmark. Our flight Monday, goes through Reykjavik, Iceland (Copenhagen-Reykjavik-NYC JFK). Air space over Iceland is now closed :eek: :eek:. Unfortunately, we are flying Icelandair and all off their flights go through Reykjavik. Not sure what will happen. Customer service is closed until the morning. I hope they will put us on another airline to the states. It is sooo expensive to stay here in Copenhagen.

Diana

I know you can fly from copenhagen to london in around 2 hrs and you can probably get a direct flight to JFK from there but here is the latest from the iceland air website

http://www.icelandair.co.uk/information/media/newslist/announcement/item508364/FLIGHT_DISRUPTIONS_DUE_TO_VOLCANIC_ACTIVITY_IN_ICELAND_/

I feel for all of you. Last year the initial eruptions happened just weeks before our cruise and we were stressing. It died down and we made it over to go on our cruise. But then it started up a 2nd time and we got caught in Barcelona trying to get back to the states. I would like to say it was nice getting an extra day in Barcelona but it was in the airport with thousands of other people. Good luck for all of you.

Bill

May 2-9 2010 Voyager Review

Latest news says, the ash cloud is due over Scotland later tonight (23/5) The wind here is gusting over 100 mph. They say with the strong wind it will disperse quicker than last time. Hopefully, it won't linger too long.

Alex

Archived