Long or Cocktail Length?

Oarsman55

I am under orders by Mrs Oarsman to ask if most of the ladies on Celebrity wear long or cocktail length dresses for formal nights? We usually cruise with Cunard and are assuming that Celebrity is a little less formal, but could be wrong.

If it makes any difference, it's a cruise in the Med starting from the UK.

Cheers,

Peter

Either is fine but I prefer long. We are cruising on 2nd July to the Med from Southampton on the Eclipse. For the 3 formal nights I am planning 2 long and 1 cocktail ( unless I find another long in the shops before then, but don't tell hubby)

Di

Both. I just returned home from 8 nights on Century and I wore a cocktail

dress one formal night and a long skirt with a dressy top the other formal

night. Both are acceptable:)

I just came back from MSC and saw all of the above on formal night.

Since I have no use for a full length gown, I brought a cocktail dress that I hope to be able to wear again for weddings or whatever.

I found a tailor who cut all of my favorite floor-length dresses and skirts to cocktail length.

Go with the short. Almost no one wears long. It saves a lot on packing. A lot of people wear pants with a fancy top.

I do every cruise

On the three formal nights on my next cruise I will have 2 long and one ballerina lenght

Go with the short. Almost no one wears long. It saves a lot on packing. A lot of people wear pants with a fancy top.

I always wear long on formal nights. Doesn't take much more room to pack and my DH wears a tux.

Mary Lou

What is nice about a long dress is you don't have to pack fancy shoes. If you wanted you could wear flip flops or cogs.

I would say wear what you feel comfortable in.

For our three formal nights on our med cruise, I am taking two cocktail dresses and one pair of palazzo pants and a fancy top. Two pairs of shoes will do it, and my husband is packing his tux, along with a few tux shirts and a couple ties to mix it up. Comfort come first, and hopefully we've found a good mix of comfort and style.

Just the fact that your wife had you ask this question means that she will be properly dressed. We love to gress up, but just be comfortable. I'd rather wear a comfortable dress or dressy pants/sparkly top than an itchy dress and can't wait to change out of it after dinner. Have a great cruise;)

I am planning on long... one formal and one a little less, but both long...

then again, being 4 ft 9 inches "tall", EVERYTHING is "LONG" on me... :D

I hear ya! Being 5'0", everything does seem "long" to me too. That's why I get nice tall heels. :D

I love the opportunity to dress for dinner that a cruise provides so always wear long on formal night and cocktail length on the other evenings, some a little less format than others so that I can match my mood and/or atmosphere in port.

Sue

As you have previously cruised with Cunard your wife already has her outfits and should take her favourite / most comfortable. I love formal nights and wear long dresses and Rob wears a DJ (Tux). I don't think you can over dress for formal night can you?

We are new to Celebrity too and I hope it will be more formal than Royal Caribbean and Costa and more like the formal nights on P&O and Princess. On our last cruise (P&O) everyone followed the dress code (in fact one smartly dressed gentleman was politely requested to get a jacket in order to dine in the MDR by the maitre D!)

There is an air of excitement on formal nights and anticipation of a great meal for me and I always look forward to them.

Many thanks, all - my beloved has (far too) many long dresses, but likes to blend in, so mixing cocktail and long seems the way to go.

Just one more quickie: do most men wear dinner jacket (tux), or lounge (business) suit?

Cheers again,

Peter

I don't think you can over dress for formal night can you?

Comfortable for me is conforming with the majority, so yes, I think you can. Having been on QE2 back in the days when every night was formal, they wore a little thin long ago:).

Peter

Archived