Short Review Maasdam B2B May7-21

This was our 2nd cruise aboard the Maasdam, and our 20th overall. 4 cruises have been delightful experiences aboard HAL ships.

I have already written about the embarkation/disembarkation procedures.

We chose this cruise to enjoy the Maasdam, avoid any dealings with planes/airports, and since we booked only 3 weeks prior to the cruise, we did get a bargain in the process. We were in the Harold Washington Library in Chicago where upon checking our email etc. we discovered that we could not afford to pass up this cruise.

We have driven out to all of the ports previously, from Ottawa Canada, and have been there on other cruises as well, aboard Costa and NCL, so we do not feel the need to take any organized tours.

For those passengers coming into Montreal by air or train, here are 2 suggestions. These sugesstions would apply only to those who can manage their own luggage and can navigate stairs and other obstacles without impediment.

Air. The public transit folks in Montreal, STM, have instituted an express bus, the aptly named 747, which brings you into the heart of downtown Montreal. Purchase your ticket at the kiosk for $8.

This will also give you unlimited subway ( METRO ) and bus access for the day. 35 minutes to downtown. A taxi, $$$$$$, will cost you an arm and 2 legs.

Train. The station is located below the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth Hotel, which is connected to the Bonaventure METRO station. For the price of a subway ticket, travel 4 minutes to Place d'Armes METRO station...it took us about 17 minutes to reach the pier from this point.

Quebec City. We stepped out of the cruise terminal towards a corner store at St Paul and Dalhousie Streets. 4 minute walk from the pier. A day pass was purchased for $6.75. We lucked in. On Sundays, 2 people can use the pass together. So we travelled around the City on efficient/clean public transit for peanuts. A hint. Take a #1 bus from the corner store. Transfer to a #800 at the train station, Palais de la Gare. The #800 will bring you to the highest point in Quebec City, the seat of the Provincial Government called

l'Assemble Nationale. From there it is all downhill walking the cobble-stoned magnificence of the Old City. You will have a fantastic bird's eye view of the Maasdam directly below from your vantage point on the Dufferin Terrace, just to the west of the Chateau Frontenac.

Another hint. The #1 bus brings you close by the Gabrielle Roy Library, located outised of the Old City, but in a funky area on rue St Joseph. Great coffee places, at about $2 per cup. Go to the Starbucks only if you are truly homesick. Delightful European atmosphere. Nobody that I talked to on the ship went there. It's a hidden gem. Also, behind the Library is the #53 stop. This will bring you to the Montmorency Falls. A cheap way to get there.

Charlottetown. 35 000 people live here and everything is geared towards tourism. Free internet at the Public Library and also when you immediately get off the Maasdam at the Founders' Hall. Get away from the tourists and pop into St Dunstan's Basilica. Stained glass windows..a lovely church. Pop into Linda's Coffee shop on Queen St., you will feel as if you are transported back to the 1950's. We went to the Catholic Mass at 12 noon. Many passengers and crew were in attendance.

Sydney. It's seen better days, but you will not meet friendlier and helpful people anywhere. The terminal has the best collection of artisans on this cruise. Upstairs, a small but very informative museum. Naturally, I went there...it's free.

Halifax. Take a short cut after leaving the terminal and cut through the huge Delta Hotel. You get to Barrington Street easier this way. We hiked it to Scotia Square, a small indoor mall on Barrington and got our bus map and inf at Lawton,s Pharmacy. Went over the bridge into Dartmouth, came back, visited the Titanic gravesites at Fairview Cemetery. Walked up Spring Garden Road to the beautful park, then took the bus back to Barrington. Dropped into the magnificent architecture of the Alexander Keith Brewery, had a couple of delightful drafts, and superior fish n' chips.

Bar Harbor. Plenty of t-shirts, knick-nacks, jackets and other assorted souvenirs derived from an assortment of Chinese sweat shops. Beautiful scenery. I don't understand why everybody seems so focused on the useless trinkets. To each his own I suppose. I can understand why most folks opted for the tours to Acadia National Park. Tendering into Bar Harbor was efficient and very well organized.

Boston. Tons of paper have been used to write about the beauty and history of this fabulous city. For me it ranks up there with San Francisco, Chicago, and Vancouver. Obtained subway day passes at South Station and we were on our way. Since we were B2B, we we're allowed to proceed at 7:30 AM. Harvard, the Boston Common, Quincy Market, Library, and of course, Cheers. Too many people to get a brew...next time for sure.

On Board. Gym. Used it every day...just me and perhaps another sweaty 6 people.

Open Seating. The best way to meet people. Our first experience wth this form of dining...we are now committed to it.

Canoletto Restaurant. Perfect lasagna. Excellent service.

Entertainment. Justin Miller, an amazing and extremely talented guitarist.

Julie Barr. Comedienne. Hilarious. Great rapport and funny, funny....hilarious.

Mike Robinson, ventriloquist. The best I have ever seen. And I wanted to meet his wooden dummy, Terrence. Perhaps Terrence and I have a lot in common.

That's my short review. Next time, tell me when to shut up, please.

Thanks for the review. We just printed it out and will save it for our next b2b on the Maasdam. For all the same reasons you mentioned, we will be sailing out of Boston.

We were on the relocation for the Maasdam three weeks ago and loved it. Point of information to share: Don't miss the Encore performance in the Show Room at Sea. Alberto Sanchez and Kristin Knuteson bring the house down!!

We would never tell you to shut up;) Enjoyed reading your review.

thanks so much for sharing with us. Atlantic Canada has many wonderful places to visit. come anytime:D

Entertainment. Justin Miller, an amazing and extremely talented guitarist.

How fortunate for you that Justin was entertaining on your cruise! I could listen to him on every cruise I take!

Of course, sadly that means I can't expect to see him on my cruise in a couple of weeks. :(

Thanks for the review. We just printed it out and will save it for our next b2b on the Maasdam. For all the same reasons you mentioned, we will be sailing out of Boston.

We were on the relocation for the Maasdam three weeks ago and loved it. Point of information to share: Don't miss the Encore performance in the Show Room at Sea. Alberto Sanchez and Kristin Knuteson bring the house down!!

OOps..forgot to mention the Encore performance that I saw on the 2nd leg of our B2B. Simply amazing, and you are right on. Simply amazing talent.

Thanks for the review. As you obviously have a gift for succinct yet entertaining summation of pertinent information, one doubts you often hear, "Time to shut up!" :D

I, on the OTOH....:eek:

Thanks for your review of the Maasdam (one of our favorite ships).

Sounds like you had great entertainers on your cruise. We have seen Mike Robinson on two cruises; both on the Maasdam. He was very good. I remember that he told us he was from Canada, his mother was Canadian and his father was American. They met when his father was in the military and stationed in Canada during the Vietnam War :eek: !

Thanks for your review of the Maasdam (one of our favorite ships).

Sounds like you had great entertainers on your cruise. We have seen Mike Robinson on two cruises; both on the Maasdam. He was very good. I remember that he told us he was from Canada, his mother was Canadian and his father was American. They met when his father was in the military and stationed in Canada during the Vietnam War :eek: !

Right on ! The entertainers do use the same material, hence the need to rotate them amongst various cruise ships.

Here is my favourite memory of Mike Robinson and his delightful wooden dummy, Terrence. The visual here is that Mike Robinson is a black man and Terrence is also presented as being black. The line which absolutely floored me, and has kept me giggling every day, was Mike's comment near the end of his great show :" You know that in this age of political correctness, an audience looks at Terrence on the stage and wonders about him... Thus we refer to him as a Mannequin American.

Archived