Dress Code for Newbie

jgmc

We are sailing on SS in July to Alaska. We are not exactly newbies but have not been on SS since the mid 90's having been on Regent for most of our cruises. My question - we are very comfortable with the Regent dress code and wonder if nice sweater sets for women and sport coats with no tie will be acceptable on all but formal nights. Also, on formal nights, would this type of dress be okay for dining other than the main dining room?

We sailed Silversea in 2009 to Alaska. We found that just about everyone adhered to the dress recommendations found on the Silversea web site which I've copied below.

On one of the formal nights we did dine at La Terrazza and guests could wear informal rather than formal attire. We wore formal attire and the mix was about half and half. Certainly, informal attire was perfectly fine.

Keith

===================================================

Casual resort wear is appropriate for daytime aboard ship or ashore, and consists of standard sports outfits as worn at resorts. Shoes should be flat or low-heeled for deck activities. Evening attire falls into three categories: casual, informal and formal. On casual evenings, open-neck shirts, slacks and sports outfits are appropriate. On informal evenings, women usually wear dresses or trouser suits; gentlemen wear jackets (tie optional). Appropriate formal evening wear for women is an evening gown or cocktail dress; men wear tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. On formal nights, guests dining in La Terrazza may opt to wear casually elegant attire (dresses or trouser suits for women; jacket, tie optional for men). Following dinner, all guests are free to take advantage of any or all of the public spaces for both entertainment or cocktails and after-dinner drinks. Sailings of eight days or less typically feature two formal nights, while longer voyages usually have three or four formal nights. Details will be provided in your final cruise documents, but the chart below provides a basic guideline to assist in packing your cruise luggage with the proper attire.

My husband and I are on going on this cruise in August with friends. It is our very first cruise!We both love the outdoors and are very excite about seeing Alaska. However, my fear is we're going on a cruise that is too luxurious, if that's possible, because I'm so nervous about the dress code. I don't want to feel out of place but I also don't want to wear an evening gown nor does my husband want to wear a suit and tie ( he does that for work) for dinner. Please alleviate my fears if you can. Thanks, Karen

My husband and I are on going on this cruise in August with friends. It is our very first cruise!We both love the outdoors and are very excite about seeing Alaska. However, my fear is we're going on a cruise that is too luxurious, if that's possible, because I'm so nervous about the dress code. I don't want to feel out of place but I also don't want to wear an evening gown nor does my husband want to wear a suit and tie ( he does that for work) for dinner. Please alleviate my fears if you can. Thanks, Karen

I have recently returned from my first Silversea cruise. It was a 7 day Mediterranean cruise, and the feeling I got here on these boards was that this type of cruise is generally a little less informal than many other SS cruises.

I had been concerned about the dress code too but I found that I fitted in perfectly and felt comfortable and relaxed at all times. I suggest doing a seach on this part of the board and reading as many threads as you can about the dress code. It does tend to be a hot potato topic around here though!

Perhaps if you could be specific about the type of thing you'd wear some of us could give advice and guidance.

So my experience-

On Formal night the ladies wore cocktail dresses or pants/skirts with very sparkly tops etc. I didn't see anyone wearing a full length gown. The gentlemen wore either a tuxedo or a suit and tie. This was in the MDR. I don't think a man who wasn't wearing a tie would have felt comfortable in the MDR at least, on Formal night. I have also read posts about men being turned away from the MDR if they are not wearing a tie on Formal nights...

On Informal nights - we had three on our 7 day cruise - a lot of the men wore a jacket and tie.

On Casual nights - again we had 3 - I barely noticed a step down from Informal. But the men tended to not wear a tie.

My overall impression was that during the whole cruise everyone was nicely - and appropriately - dressed. And IMO that added to the feeling of being on a luxury cruise.

That said, I was far too busy enjoying myself to take much notice of everyone else. I just did a quick check around the room once I was seated at table to make sure I had got it right.

Each evening when your room is turned down, your Butler or suite attendant will leave you a copy of the Silversea Chronicles, which is a 'whats on' guide for the next day. It tells you what the dress code is going to be. I kept all my copies and so I'm writing this exactly as written .

Dress Code Formal : Evening gowns, cocktail dresses or dress pantsuits for the ladies. Tuxedoes, dinner jackets or dark suits and tie for the gentlemen.

Dress Code Informal : Dresses or pantsuits for the ladies. Jackets (tie optional) for the gentlemen.

Dress Code Casual : Dresses or blouses and pants for the ladies, sport shirts and slacks for the gentlemen.

Please don't allow nerves about the dress code to put you off and miss out on this opportunity to sail with Silversea! I was worried about it and really wish I hadn't wasted my energy. Just follow the guidelines I've written above and you will be fine.

As Isklaar mentioned on formal night you can wear a cocktail dress. Other options include something like a satin long dress or satin pants with formal tops. If you husband doesn't want to dress in formal attire you can do as I posted on the web site and go to the La Terrazza where informal attire is fine but you will need to make reservations for that restaurant.

If you choose to dine in the regular dining room on formal nights just about all of the men will indeed be in either a suit and tie or a tuxedo since that is the recommended attire.

This is a wonderful cruise. Alaska is very special and we had a great time not only visiting Alaska but sailing with Silversea.

Don't get too stressed about it but there is no question that Silversea on formal nights is going to be more dressy than some (some not all) of the cruise lines.

Keith

It still baffles me why people do not read the dress code recommendations for each cruise line that they wish to sail with and just do what it suggests.That's why certain cruise lines are known for a particular style of dress code and attract the type of guest that wishes to patronise that particular type of line.

It's not hard is it?

We have sailed on both Regent and Silversea, and imo, the dress "code" is pretty much identical. If your husband does not want to wear either a dark suit and tie or tux for the formal night, then you can either make reservations at La Terrazza or order room service.

What both lines call Informal ended up being semi formal, imo. Ladies tended to wear nice dresses and men wore sports coats, just no ties, except older men seemed to wear ties all the time. On Casual nights at dinner I saw a lot of sun dresses, colorful skirts and tops for ladies, and khakis and sport shirts for men, with sport jackets on a lot of them.

While there were not a tremendous number of long gowns on the formal nights, there was a lot of glitz and glamor, and a fair amount of tuxedos.

Bottom line, if you don't want to participate the formal nights, there are alternatives. And since you are familiar with Regent's expectations, you won't have any surprises on SS.

Have a great cruise!

cotto22, I am curious about the comparison of the Regent and Silversea dress codes.

I have sailed Silversea, Seabourn and Crystal but not Regent but often I read posts from those who sail Regent regularly saying that lines such as Silversea, Seabourn and Crystal are much more formal than Regent. I believe the on most cruises Regent is has Formal Option on their formal nights. Yes, I realize that on Silversea as I posted that one can eat at La Terrazza on formal nights and dress in informal attire but my impression on Regent is one could eat anywhere on the ship on Formal nights including the main dining room and be in informal attire.

Anyway, do you really think the overall dress code on Regent is very similar to Silversea?

Keith

Keith your perception is correct.

Regent sailors are a little less formal than Seabourn and Silversea guests but it can depend on the crowd and the itinerary.

I like all dress codes,I do exactly what each line suggests for the dress code,you can't fail to get it right.

Thank you and that makes perfect sense.

Like you, we do the same thing. We find the recommended guidelines from each lines web site very easy to follow.

Keith

Thanks so much for your nice reply. You're absolutely right- we're going on the cruise-it's a done deal so I need to follow the rules and quit trying to change the reality of the experience we signed up for and go buy a cocktail dress!

Keith- I appreciate your comments and the reassurance that Alaska is indeed a special place and that you enjoyed you Silversea experience. One question since I'm new to this site. On Trip Advisor you can send a private message to anyone who has responded to the "thread" conversation. Is that possible here? Karen

Lord of the Seas- This is my very first cruise and am very naive about how it all works- just a mid-western woman trying to see Alaska! I not only didn't really find your comment helpful, but thought it a little condescending. Karen

Keith- I appreciate your comments and the reassurance that Alaska is indeed a special place and that you enjoyed you Silversea experience. One question since I'm new to this site. On Trip Advisor you can send a private message to anyone who has responded to the "thread" conversation. Is that possible here? Karen

You are very welcome.

I know there used to be an e mail capability but I don't think it exists anymore.

Keith

We have done two Regents, and only one Seabourn and one Silversea so far. Our next Silversea will be in a month. Granted, the Regent cruises were 5 years ago, and the Seabourn and the SS cruises were more recent, so it could very well be that things have changed. (I won't even mention my honeymoon 25+ years ago on the QEII...) However, I cannot state that I saw any significant difference in dress from line to line in evening attire.

The differences in dress that I did note were more due to age and nationality.

Adirondack1, a lot of ladies wear black pants and a glitzy/sequined top for those dressy nights, and then the black pants can be paired with a not so dressy top for the informal or casual nights with a halter/tank/ruffled top.

Cotto22- Thanks for the suggestion ie. black pants to dress up or down. I feel a lot better. I guess I figured an Alaskan cruise wouldn't be so fancy, especially since we already have to pack outdoor wear. The idea of also having to pack a suit/tux with dress shoes to go with it is not something I'd given any thought to.

Relax Karen

An Alaskan cruise isn't "so fancy" - but you'll feel better if you're a bit dressed up within the guidelines. I too am a mid-western lady (now living on the west coast) but I've done lots of cruising and welcome the chance to "dress up" for dinner. My cruise wardrobe is always the same: black silk pants, a dressy top for "formal" and less dressy for informal that take up little room in the suitcase, one pair evening sandals.

If your guy doesn't want to bother with a tux in Alaska a dark suit, shirt and tie will be totally appropriate.

If you were going to Europe and the Scandinavian or Baltic countries where dress codes are a bit more formal it might be a different story.

You'll have a great time!

Have to stick in my 2 cents. While I love Silversea, their dress code is from the last century and is a nuisance from a packing standpoint. Also want to comment that Regent's dress code has changed since five years ago and is now Elegant Casual or "Country Club Casual". It is a bit flippant to state that if you don't like the dress code you should cruise on another ship since many of us are basing our cruise decisions on itinerary.

Yes, many men dress up like penguins on Formal nights (many in tuxedos from many, many years ago). For my DH, he has a black suit (the kind you can wear to a funeral:-) We also pack a sports jacket from Travelsmith (the kind that doesn't wrinkle and can put put in a suitcase). This works well for both Formal and Informal nights.

I pack black long skirts and pants with glittery tops that I purchase on sale after Christmas. They also work fine for the fussy nights.

As I said, Silversea is a wonderful cruise line.. . . but, some people need to get over themselves.

I'm preparing a review of our Silver Whisper cruise last month that includes "Dress Code". If I were rewriting the dress code it would be Informal every night with a couple of Formal optional evenings. Much easier and allows those who enjoy dressing up to do so.

I so agree Travelcat2. With airline baggage restrictions as they are packing for formal nights is difficult. I would love optional formal nights with informal and casual nights being the norm. We are booked on the Spirit for the transatlantic on 10/21/11 and I believe there are at least four formal nights on this cruise. Not looking foward to it. Love Silversea x3 cruises, but would like the dress code to be relaxed.

So, let's hear it for the "...a bit flippant...need to get over themselves" crowd! I like the dress code. If SS wants to abandon the current dresscode, fine, DO IT! As long as there is a dress code, it should be enforced. The current state of affairs makes SS look very wimpy. SS, make some kind of decision and stick to it! That is all I ask.

So, let's hear it for the "...a bit flippant...need to get over themselves" crowd! I like the dress code. If SS wants to abandon the current dresscode, fine, DO IT! As long as there is a dress code, it should be enforced. The current state of affairs makes SS look very wimpy. SS, make some kind of decision and stick to it! That is all I ask.

I totally agree. If you can afford the cruise, you can afford to pay to check one extra bag! Besides, many SS passengers fly business class which gives you more than enough luggage allowance. For those who didn't know, Amex Platinum will pay up to $200 per year of excess baggage charges.

As long as there is a dress code, it should be respected. There are enough options for dining on formal nights which allow passengers to dress either informally or not at all (if you eat in your cabin!). What is all the angst about?

Lord of the Seas- This is my very first cruise and am very naive about how it all works- just a mid-western woman trying to see Alaska! I not only didn't really find your comment helpful, but thought it a little condescending. Karen

Karen it will be fine for you but do try to follow the suggested guidelines for the dress code that Silversea has set.it really is that simple.

As you see,you have been given a few good suggestions from posters but the bottom line is that Silversea is a luxury product that works well and it attracts people that like to dress for the evening which adds up to a great experience.

Just because you are going to Alaska does not mean that Silversea will relax the dress code.Get your husband to wear a suit and tie,he will enjoy himself and will also compliment your efforts with your outfit.

Archived