Dress Code for Newbie

jgmc

Travelcat2- One I LOVE your "name" and that little cat looks just like mine and secondly I couldn't agree more with your stance on outdated dress codes and the nuisance in packing... however I will follow the rules!

Just want to address the packing/luggage issue. The fact that we can take 3-6 pieces of luggage on board (for 2 people -- Business Class) is not the entire issue. We do not have a servant at home to move our luggage from the house into our car and out again at the airport and I have yet to master the art of wheeling that much luggage around.

Don't believe anyone has suggested not adhering to the dress code. I was just giving my personal opinion.

Adirondack1: ;)

Have to stick in my 2 cents. While I love Silversea, their dress code is from the last century and is a nuisance from a packing standpoint. Also want to comment that Regent's dress code has changed since five years ago and is now Elegant Casual or "Country Club Casual". It is a bit flippant to state that if you don't like the dress code you should cruise on another ship since many of us are basing our cruise decisions on itinerary.

Yes, many men dress up like penguins on Formal nights (many in tuxedos from many, many years ago). For my DH, he has a black suit (the kind you can wear to a funeral:-) We also pack a sports jacket from Travelsmith (the kind that doesn't wrinkle and can put put in a suitcase). This works well for both Formal and Informal nights.

I pack black long skirts and pants with glittery tops that I purchase on sale after Christmas. They also work fine for the fussy nights.

As I said, Silversea is a wonderful cruise line.. . . but, some people need to get over themselves.

I'm preparing a review of our Silver Whisper cruise last month that includes "Dress Code". If I were rewriting the dress code it would be Informal every night with a couple of Formal optional evenings. Much easier and allows those who enjoy dressing up to do so.

Isn't it nice that we have choice when it comes to cruise lines.

There are still many people who enjoy dressing up on their cruises so isn't it nice that some cruise lines still have this tradition.

On Silversea you have two other options for those who don't want to dress up on formal night and that includes the alternative restaurant or room service.

At the same time there are others who don't want to dress up so they have other cruise lines to choose from and that might include Sea Dream and Regent just to name a couple that are in the luxury market. Isn't it nice that those who prefer this style of cruise have that option?

I always tell people to be careful for what they wish for. USA based airlines which used to have an identity no longer have one. If cruise lines start copying one another then before you know it we can just have Carnival rule the world and they can offer on Mass Market, one Premium and one Luxury cruise line.

My wife and I love formal nights so that is a factor in the cruise line we select. That would include Silversea, Seabourn (I realize they have options) and Crystal just to name a few. We would likely not cruise on a luxury line that doesn't have formal nights unless there was some other major driver and I wouldn't expect them to change for me. Why? Because I think choice is good.

On the other hand if someone chooses to book a cruise on the a cruise line that has formal nights then they should either participate in the formal night or seek out an alternative as there are on Silversea.

Clearly there are many people who want casual nights on all evenings or a combination of casual and informal nights and there are cruise lines that cater to that such as Regent or Sea Dream.

Personally, I do not feel like a penguin on formal night. And my wife loves to wear dresses that are appropriate for a formal night. To me, a formal night on a ship is quite special. Just as I enjoy candles on a table, a white tablecloth and a wait staff dressed up nicely at a land based restaurant when we go out for a special occasion I desire the same when we cruise since for us this makes the cruise all that more special. If it didn't we certainly would find a cruise line where it is not required.

At the same time I do not think of people who do not dress up as slobs.

We each have our own tastes and I really hope we don't get to the day that all cruise lines do the same thing. What a boring world this will be.

As to the itinerary, just about all itineraries are offered by more than one cruise line.

Life isn't always fair and each of us doesn't always get our own way.

Ask a question about what type of food you would like to be served in x restaurant on the ship or what type of entertainment we'd like and if you ask 10 people on this board you may get 10 different answers. In the end the cruise line figures this out as best they can.

In the end, it is the desires of the guests who will drive changes in attire on cruise lines.

The good news is that there is also balance on most cruise. I remember the days of luxury cruising when there were almost no casual nights. Those cruise lines who offer formal nights have tried to balance all of this out.

Again, thank goodness for choice. Life would be rather boring if we didn't have choice in cruise lines.

Keith

So, let's hear it for the "...a bit flippant...need to get over themselves" crowd! I like the dress code. If SS wants to abandon the current dresscode, fine, DO IT! As long as there is a dress code, it should be enforced. The current state of affairs makes SS look very wimpy. SS, make some kind of decision and stick to it! That is all I ask.

\

couldn't agree with you more; we who have been on before LIKE to dress up; that's what it's all about;this is one of the very few venues that haven't been abandoned and though it seems every year we lose a little of the former glamour that's what brings us back as most of the passengers are repeaters! so if you don't like to dress up ,perhaps you should bring your t shirts and flip flops to Carnival !:D

It is nice to have the freedom to sail on Silversea even when we do not like either smoking or the dress code.

It is wonderful to have the freedom to express ourselves to Silversea via CruiseCritic.

How great it is to be able to express a personal opinion without fear of retribution.

How welcoming the Silversea board is to those new to the cruise line. Everyone makes it so easy to figure out how best to meet the guidelines.

And, sailing on a luxury cruise ship with intelligent, well-traveled, unaffected passengers who would never judge someone is such a pleasure.

Hi Keith and Anne Marie;

Exceptionally well said Keith, Ida and I enjoy formal nights as well and look for Regent voyages that include formal optional nights (we hope there are two on our upcoming (Nov 2011) Regent/Voyager, Barcelona to Dubai voyage)....hopefully one of these cruise days we will be booked on the same Silversea, even Crystal (when Crystal goes AI) sailing as Anne Marie and you (not Seabourn as they do not have dedicated running/jogging tracks, and their smoking policy is too liberal). We can't wait to join Dusababy, and special SS friends (Malcolm and Jean) on our the Whisper fall foliage cruise next October (partly cuz we get to dress up, but mainly to sail with wonderful SS cruise friends).

So if you don't like to dress up ,perhaps you should bring your t shirts and flip flops to Carnival !

I'm new to this but I'd love to go on a cruise that was sophisticated, educated, and intelligent where people were on the cruise to learn, explore and see other places, but it wasn't about the superficiality of dress. I can't stand that it's either t-shirts, flip flops, and a Carnival mentality or else tuxedos and evening gowns.

So if you don't like to dress up ,perhaps you should bring your t shirts and flip flops to Carnival !

I'm new to this but I'd love to go on a cruise that was sophisticated, educated, and intelligent where people were on the cruise to learn, explore and see other places, but it wasn't about the superficiality of dress. I can't stand that it's either t-shirts, flip flops, and a Carnival mentality or else tuxedos and evening gowns.

I really think you will like the cruise based on all that you have said.

It's really not about people getting caught up in what they wear.

For most, they know what the recommended attire is and most enjoy it and don't think a thing about it.

During the day you will see many people in various modes of dress and the itinerary normally dictates what they were.

I truly believe that on the luxury lines that I have sailed which do include Formal nights (Crystal, Seabourn and Silversea) that people are very much what you described. They are intelligent, well seasoned travelers, enjoy life, are fun to talk with and have a sense of humor and in general are kind. Many are very seasoned travelers who have an appreciation for travel.

With that said, the vast majority of the guests out of respect to others and to the cruise line just follow the guidelines. To me that is just being courteous and it is really not something I or others dwell on.

My recommendation is to hold off on any judgements until after you have experienced the cruise.

Hopefully you will enjoy it as we have.

Keith

As with most things in life, we all seem to have different viewpoints. I like to dress up, but do understand that others do not. While I think we are all too casual about everything, including dress, that is not the point of this thread.

That being said, I also believe in manners, and in the consideration of the feelings of others. And I feel perhaps that some have pursued their own agendas to the detriment of others. When someone asks a question politely, then I believe that question should be answered in the spirit it was asked. After reading some of the responses to the OP, I am perplexed at some of the answers she received. Many were really not very helpful, and some were probably a bit hurtful. Hopefully she will glean out the good and have a wonderful cruise.

Once again, it takes Keith to S P E L L out the obvious. How polite can one guy be? The original question was answered properly in post #2.

I'm all for less formal, but geeee whiz, have some respect for what you are signing up. There is a published dress code and for as long as it lasts, go with the program or book with another company.

It's a shame to watch SS, SB become less distinct from Regent, Oceania, Azamara. The results of added capacity has (temporarily) wiped out a particular market segment.

I appreciate all the replies to my question regarding dress code. The reason I asked in the first place is that I live in the south and what is considered dressy here is not dressy in the north. I was very comfortable following the dress code on Regent when informal was one of the options - just hoping this interpretation will transfer over to Silversea. I am looking forward to eating in the alternative restaurant on formal evenings - I assume we can make reservations when we board and, hopefully, the reservations will not be hard to get.

I really don't understand the problem people have with a dress code. Rather than fight against formal evenings just don't go on cruises which offer them. Most people on SS enjoy them and the last thing they wish to hear are moans from the disaffected.:rolleyes:

I really don't understand the problem people have with a dress code. Rather than fight against formal evenings just don't go on cruises which offer them. Most people on SS enjoy them and the last thing they wish to hear are moans from the disaffected.:rolleyes:

I'm really trying to understand why it seems to bother you when people new to Silversea ask simple questions. They aren't trying to change the policy -- only understand it. :confused:

Having recently sailed both Silversea and Crystal, I can say that Crystal guests embrace the concept of formal attire much more than the Silversea passengers did. There were several evenings on Silversea where I felt over dressed. That being said, I could care less how others dress. It would be nice if dress codes are followed but, letting others behavior affect one's outlook during a cruise is unnecessary.

I'm really trying to understand why it seems to bother you when people new to Silversea ask simple questions. They aren't trying to change the policy -- only understand it. :confused:

I am not addressing the answer to new SS passengers, I am addressing it to people like you who already know the answer but have to state the minimum one can 'get away with' instead of encouraging them to dress up and enjoy doing so!

I quite agree they are not trying to change the policy but I am not sure about you!

I am not addressing the answer to new SS passengers, I am addressing it to people like you who already know the answer but have to state the minimum one can 'get away with' instead of encouraging them to dress up and enjoy doing so!

I quite agree they are not trying to change the policy but I am not sure about you!

Changes will always occur in life. There have been changes on Silversea in the brief time we have been sailing with them (the non-smoking on balconies, for instance). It is possible that some changes will happen with former Regent management joining the Silversea team. Plus, there are quite a few Regent passengers that are giving SS a try for the first time. For whatever reason, Regent is sailing with with full ships (on many itineraries). While I am not personally attempting to change anything, I would hardly be a cheerleader for Formal nights. I do believe in following policies.

What I find most disturbing is the the attitude of some Silversea posters. Posters have pretty much stated that if you don't embrace everything about Silversea, you should go elsewhere. IMO, discouraging potential new customers from trying Silversea has the potential to hurt the company. Changes are more apt to occur if the ships continue to run 1/2 - 2/3 full.

Changes will always occur in life. There have been changes on Silversea in the brief time we have been sailing with them (the non-smoking on balconies, for instance). It is possible that some changes will happen with former Regent management joining the Silversea team. Plus, there are quite a few Regent passengers that are giving SS a try for the first time. For whatever reason, Regent is sailing with with full ships (on many itineraries). While I am not personally attempting to change anything, I would hardly be a cheerleader for Formal nights. I do believe in following policies.

What I find most disturbing is the the attitude of some Silversea posters. Posters have pretty much stated that if you don't embrace everything about Silversea, you should go elsewhere. IMO, discouraging potential new customers from trying Silversea has the potential to hurt the company. Changes are more apt to occur if the ships continue to run 1/2 - 2/3 full.

In the end, passenger feedback as well as marketing research will determine if a change in the dress code is warranted.

Change can be very good to enhance a product but not all change is good. Some cruise lines have made a lot of change over the last couple of years and it does seem like many of the passengers who post to Cruise Critic want to try other lines.

I do not get the sense that any of the regular posters on this board are against all change and often they make suggestions or make constructive comments.

At the same time there are items that are important to many across all the cruise lines which are some of the major reasons that they enjoy sailing with a particular line and it is those that many prefer to remain the same. That should not be interpreted that they do not support any changes.

The major challenge that Silversea has as does Seabourn which collectively has actually impacted the entire luxury cruising market that between both lines they have added a lot of capacity projecting that demand would be there but having made the decisions before the world wide economy turned south. Regent like Crystal did not add any ships during that time frame. But rest assured that while Silversea and Seabourn might have the bigger of the challenges filling their overall capacity that this has played havoc with the entire luxury market.

In the end I suspect that what is filling ships is pricing and not the dress code.

I have yet to see a thread on attire that does not get way off track and have emotion and that applies to each and every time it is asked on each board of Cruise Critic. The original poster asked what the dress code is on Silversea and that one has been answered.

My view has always been very straight forward. I will follow the guidelines of the ship whether it be for attire or some other issue. If I don't care for the guidelines and there are no alternatives then I go elsewhere. Silversea actually has a nice range of guidelines for formal night. You want formal,(I do) be in formal attire. You don't want formal but informal is fine go to the alternative restaurant where you can either go in formal or informal attire. You don't want either, dine in your room where you can be served course by course. If this doesn't work for you, sail on another line.

Keith

In the end, passenger feedback as well as marketing research will determine if a change in the dress code is warranted.

Change can be very good to enhance a product but not all change is good. Some cruise lines have made a lot of change over the last couple of years and it does seem like many of the passengers who post to Cruise Critic want to try other lines.

I do not get the sense that any of the regular posters on this board are against all change and often they make suggestions or make constructive comments.

At the same time there are items that are important to many across all the cruise lines which are some of the major reasons that they enjoy sailing with a particular line and it is those that many prefer to remain the same. That should not be interpreted that they do not support any changes.

The major challenge that Silversea has as does Seabourn which collectively has actually impacted the entire luxury cruising market that between both lines they have added a lot of capacity projecting that demand would be there but having made the decisions before the world wide economy turned south. Regent like Crystal did not add any ships during that time frame. But rest assured that while Silversea and Seabourn might have the bigger of the challenges filling their overall capacity that this has played havoc with the entire luxury market.

In the end I suspect that what is filling ships is pricing and not the dress code.

I have yet to see a thread on attire that does not get way off track and have emotion and that applies to each and every time it is asked on each board of Cruise Critic. The original poster asked what the dress code is on Silversea and that one has been answered.

My view has always been very straight forward. I will follow the guidelines of the ship whether it be for attire or some other issue. If I don't care for the guidelines and there are no alternatives then I go elsewhere. Silversea actually has a nice range of guidelines for formal night. You want formal,(I do) be in formal attire. You don't want formal but informal is fine go to the alternative restaurant where you can either go in formal or informal attire. You don't want either, dine in your room where you can be served course by course. If this doesn't work for you, sail on another line.

Keith

Summed up beautifully Keith, well done......I concur :)

M.P.

Archived