Smoking Ban and Early saver, A Twist.

BigDfromTN

On Princess it is cabins AND balconies.

This isn't a mystery.....Carnival is just following RCCL lead after RCCL went with the no smoking cabins and Celebrity went with no smoking cabins AND balconies.

Princess is Canrival's equivalent to RCCL's Celebrity.

Again this was YEARS ago and RCCL and Celebrity are doing just fine.

We cruise with RCCL quite a bit in addition to Carnival. Lynda likes an occasional cigarette. After December Carnival will have a more restrictive smoking policy than RCCL. On most RCCL ships there are a number of indoor venues that allow smoking. I believe these changes went too far without testing them on a few ships.

I believe this is a bad business move and will cost them revenue, and as a shareholder that will make me unhappy if I turn out to be correct. Only time will tell.

That's not true. We cancelled 4 cabins last night, for our cruise in September, and we weren't charged. The CCL rep put us on hold for a long t ime, but when she came back, we were cancelled with a full refund no charge.

Thanks for the update on this. We are (theoretically) on the 09/03 Miracle cruise. DH is pushing to cancel that now (I've already got my PVP working on next year's cancellations).

I may see if I can get a replacement for September. Since I'm spending all durned day on the boards getting abused anyway - might as well make lack of working productive at least! :D

Thanks F&F.

I also asked the question on John's FB page for clarification. Not gotten an answer there yet.

Here is Johns reply on FB...

John Heald Don, you are correct - you have to June 30th. I truly hope you dont though.

And for the record, this was the question...

Hey John, Sorry to bring the smoking thing up again, but would like a clarification on the cancelation policy. If a person wants to cancel a cruise prior to 12/1 and are booked Early Saver. Can that be done with NO penalty before 6/30? Thanks in Advance. Don

Don - Thanks for getting the clarification.

My PVP went back under her rock (guess she's sort of pissy with me since I'm cancelling). I told her it's not her fault - I guess it looks bad or something on their booking records. I don't know. I just want my money credited since I already am booking 2012 up with another line.

I pointed out the threads about skunk-urine and such - and told her, there is no way the Carnival will guarantee I won't get sprayed or be abused by people claiming we are supposed to be "considerate of your balcony neighbors" (and I don't really understand how that will be sorted out), so, truly, I'm so beyond done with the idiocy of this mess they created (really, putting relaxing cigar smoking in a jazz club? with "sparkly" stuff on the ceilings? silly) I just want my money and I'll be on my way. :) If, after a year or two or whatever, it appears to have sorted out, then I can always re-consider.

Don - Thanks for getting the clarification.

My PVP went back under her rock (guess she's sort of pissy with me since I'm cancelling). I told her it's not her fault - I guess it looks bad or something on their booking records. I don't know. I just want my money credited since I already am booking 2012 up with another line.

I pointed out the threads about skunk-urine and such - and told her, there is no way the Carnival will guarantee I won't get sprayed or be abused by people claiming we are supposed to be "considerate of your balcony neighbors" (and I don't really understand how that will be sorted out), so, truly, I'm so beyond done with the idiocy of this mess they created (really, putting relaxing cigar smoking in a jazz club? with "sparkly" stuff on the ceilings? silly) I just want my money and I'll be on my way. :) If, after a year or two or whatever, it appears to have sorted out, then I can always re-consider.

Just curious... What other line has better smoking policies?

Another couple we cruise with, He smokes and we may try another line if he wants.

Another couple we cruise with, He smokes and we may try another line if he wants.

All of the European lines are likely to have more liberal smoking policies.

The policy does not go into effect until Dec. 1, 2011. My PVP told me that you cannot book w/o penalty if your cruise is before that.

Actually, on the Liberty, the policy goes into effect Nov. 26th.

NCL allows smoking in staterooms as well as balconies and is fairly generous with the smoking areas inside and on open decks. We weren't overly impressed by them, but, for the same price as the Pride, I snagged an awesome suite with a load of perks. Heck, I can live with some issues if I'm getting more for my dollar. Even setting aside for tips for the butler and conceirge, I'm still ahead of the game. DH is happy that I'm a good shopper! :D

On RCCL - the same policy for no smoking in the cabin, smoking ok on balcony, outside...blah blah is the same; but, they have gorgeous cigar bars that are comfy and just so relaxing to be in.

I'm looking at them for next fall actually.

Now that I'm off my Carnival kick - wow - there's a lot out there.

NCL allows smoking in staterooms as well as balconies and is fairly generous with the smoking areas inside and on open decks. We weren't overly impressed by them, but, for the same price as the Pride, I snagged an awesome suite with a load of perks. Heck, I can live with some issues if I'm getting more for my dollar. Even setting aside for tips for the butler and conceirge, I'm still ahead of the game. DH is happy that I'm a good shopper! :D

On RCCL - the same policy for no smoking in the cabin, smoking ok on balcony, outside...blah blah is the same; but, they have gorgeous cigar bars that are comfy and just so relaxing to be in.

I'm looking at them for next fall actually.

Now that I'm off my Carnival kick - wow - there's a lot out there.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info.

No problem Don.

FYI - Costa is pretty loose on smoking rules too I believe - but I'm not sure where you like to cruise from. DH doesn't fly so, we have to drive to any embarkation port.

I know Cunard still does the Cigar Bar thing. Never checked into much else with them due to the pricing issues and port schedules.

I booked early saver for the Legend, interior french door(which I guess even though the doors open to let in air, they don't consider that a balcony since I can't walk outside), so if I call and upgrade now (I am not paid in full) to a balcony so we can smoke, will Carnival charge me a fee to upgrade? Does anyone know? Thanks

That's not true. We cancelled 4 cabins last night, for our cruise in September, and we weren't charged. The CCL rep put us on hold for a long t ime, but when she came back, we were cancelled with a full refund no charge.

See ya!!

I booked early saver for the Legend, interior french door(which I guess even though the doors open to let in air, they don't consider that a balcony since I can't walk outside), so if I call and upgrade now (I am not paid in full) to a balcony so we can smoke, will Carnival charge me a fee to upgrade? Does anyone know? Thanks

It is my understanding they never have a problem or charge you a fee for upgrading to a better category room.

Go for it.

OR, until 6/30 you could just cancel with no penalty and re-book. I dont see any advantage to do that....

I'm guessing the answer is YES, they will charge you. :(

But please let us know if you find out differently.

My husband is a smoker we booked ES OV. We deceided to up grade to an Balcony Cabin. The fee to clean the OV is $250.00 we up graded for $300.00 with no problem. All you non-smokers will have to deal with more smokers on the balconies now.

What happens when you come in from the balcony and the smoke is attached to your clothes and body thereby smokey smelling up the cabin? Is there going to be whats called false-positive?

What happens when you come in from the balcony and the smoke is attached to your clothes and body thereby smokey smelling up the cabin? Is there going to be whats called false-positive?

Take bungi cord with you, tie it to the railing, and take a quick dip in the ocean, pull yourself up, dry yourself with the really bad blow dryers, and you are set to go.:D

okwriter and bigD I will post tomorrow about whether they charge me to change, because they changed the rules, yes they will be making more money off of me, so maybe not, and maybe, it's time that i spend more time on a cruise winning ships on sticks than smoking...darn I have given up all my other vices, why is this one so hard?

I dont see this being any worse than being in one of the smoking venues and coming back with smoke on your body and clothes. Actually being in the "jazz club" may be worse as Cigars are allowed there as well.

I personally feel the smoke will be more intense in those venues now since it will likely be condensing the same number of smokers into a smaller space. ?????? Just my .02

Take bungi cord with you, tie it to the railing, and take a quick dip in the ocean, pull yourself up, dry yourself with the really bad blow dryers, and you are set to go.:D

LOL!!!:eek:

okwriter and bigD I will post tomorrow about whether they charge me to change, because they changed the rules, yes they will be making more money off of me, so maybe not, and maybe, it's time that i spend more time on a cruise winning ships on sticks than smoking...darn I have given up all my other vices, why is this one so hard?

My PVP has told me that technically they could charge you for an upgrade, but that its foolish to do so and they never do it. That for one is definately a money driven decision.

keep us posted.

DW does not like to fly either.

We normally like to drive to New Orleans, or in the past Mobile. Both are about 6 hours away.

We have done the run to Florida - but, it's a long drive for us. We were alternating NY and Baltimore. I can still use both ports which gives me some flexibility at least.

Problem for me is that I work - more than full time - and DH is retired. So, I need to actually pre-plan time out of the office at least one year in advance - sometimes longer notice if it's more than a week involved. It's so blasted complicated.

DH and I talked about it and he may have to drive part-ways to another port city and I'll fly to meet him. Not great given his health, but, we'll see about that. Durned head hurts now.

Happy cruising whatever you choose!

Knowing that after finally taking my first vacation in25yrs this October, that I would be sad for it to end, I was already looking at cruises for next year with dreamy eyes.

I'll go to a resort instead now. This has stirred up too much disatisfaction, and division between smokers and militant nonsmokers. Not what I look for in a vacation.

Cancun, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, USVI, the all inclusive resorts will get my business, it's a good bet they will benefit from others who think the same.

Archived