Checking water with the airlines?

Queen of Oakville

I keep reading about how so many of you check a case of water. But what about those that go straight from the airport and don't have time to stop?

Can you check a case of water (in lieu of luggage). We generally fly southwest, and they allow 2 free checked luggage.

Wondering if I could bring a case of water from home, check it with the airline, and then drop it off with my luggage at the ship.

TIA.

thanks! If you go do ground transportation though, how do you get them to stop?

I'm actually from Canada, and we're addicted to the fruit-flavoured water whih we can buy by the case in 24s or 32s. I've never been able to find those in the US. THis would be my only incentive for bringing the water from home.

I keep reading about how so many of you check a case of water. But what about those that go straight from the airport and don't have time to stop?

Can you check a case of water (in lieu of luggage). We generally fly southwest, and they allow 2 free checked luggage.

Wondering if I could bring a case of water from home, check it with the airline, and then drop it off with my luggage at the ship.

TIA.

I would guess you would have to put the water inside of a dufflebag or suitcase of some sort...but I would definitely check with the airline & tsa before I wasted time or money on it...

As of Jan 2011, (at least from Galveston), they were not allowing you to bring ANY drinks on board. They were confiscating all water, including my DW's half empty bottle of water. Additionally, the porters were refusing cases of water and soda at luggage checkin.

Read the official RCCL policy and they clearly state no drinks may be brought onboard'.

From the RCCL website:

"Q: Can I bring liquor or non-alcoholic beverages (from home or from a port) onboard? s.gif A: Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned."

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them.

IMHO, it is not worth the effort to bring water. Tap water on all of the ships is safe to drink, and is good tasting.

You can try this if you wish, but be prepared for the possible confiscation.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=260&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqType=faq

Seems like an awful lot of trouble for something that may not even be permitted on the ship. How about getting some of those individual packets of flavored beverage mix such as Crystal Light and just add it to the perfectly good water on the ship. Bring some empty sports bottles.

I'm actually from Canada, and we're addicted to the fruit-flavoured water whih we can buy by the case in 24s or 32s. I've never been able to find those in the US. THis would be my only incentive for bringing the water from home.

Many of the ships now have fruit flavored water in the WJ and it is quite good.

We usually take the little foil fruit flavor packs that you mix with water. 4C Foods Corp has some good fruit flavors. The newest we have found is MiO Liquid Water Enhancer which is in a small squeeze bottle and does not need refrigeration after opening, but must be used with 30 days.........which usually isn't a problem.

Fruit flavored water in the WJ? hmmmm, thanks! I will look for that.

I'm not a fan of adding powder to my water (i've tried it, and find it very grainy) but its a great suggestion for those that like it. The Nestle fruit-flavoured waters that we get in Canada are mild, and help the water go down (I'm not a fan of plain water, bottled or otherwise).

I agree its a lot of effort, but if we could drop the water off curb-side as we check in with the skycap .... and then transport it to the ship. ... it might not be that much effort.

I only ask because so many report being able to bring it on the ship.

TIA.

The way they throw around luggage I would not try to check in a case of water. If my suitcase gets crushed, what in the world will happen to plastic water bottles.

Hypo.......if your wife's water was confiscated it must have happened when you went through security. They take anything that is over 3 ounces. Once you are through security, you can buy a drink and take it on the plane with you. It has been like this for a long time.

The way they throw around luggage I would not try to check in a case of water. If my suitcase gets crushed, what in the world will happen to plastic water bottles.

Hypo.......if your wife's water was confiscated it must have happened when you went through security. They take anything that is over 3 ounces. Once you are through security, you can buy a drink and take it on the plane with you. It has been like this for a long time.

I think Hypo was referring to Royal Carib's policy, not the airline/airport's.

While I have never attempted to bring water on an airplane (checked backage), I have brought cases of water onto HAL and Princess. Once, we packed in a soft side duffel type cooler, and another time we just taped the heck out of it to prevent the plastic wrap from ripping. We dropped it at the port with our checked luggage and it has always arrived to our suite without incident.

Hope this helps.

As far as bringing it on as "checked baggage" why not call the airlines and confirm?

We've checked a box of wine (that we packed, packaging each bottle individually) on Southwest. There are restrictions on the amount & type of liquor you can check as luggage, but don't see any restrictions against water on the Southwest website. I would probably box it, if you go that route.

While you may be able to check a case of water ... please make sure it is packed properly. Think a strong carton with bubble wrap or some other protecting material. Those plastic bottles are pretty flimsy, and you surely don't want them leaking all over other peoples' luggage.

Strongly suggest that you have your driver stop en route from the airport to the pier and pick up what you need onboard.

If you have transfers arranged through the cruiseline, or some other "group shuttle" service, you're probably out of luck. If you hire a cab or a private car service, you can call the shots and tell the driver where to go en route to the port.

Archived