If you had to choose betwee these two cruises...

If you lived in New York, would you take a 9 night cruise on Explorer, of fly out to FL and go on an Oasis or Allure 7 night cruise. I've not been on any of these ships (yet).

To take the Allure or Oasis, I would pay more to fly out to FL, travel to and from the airport, pay more for the same style cabin (no matter which), and lose two nights. The ship is possibly(proabably) a better experience, and the ports are pretty good.

The Explorer is local, and I could save money on the cruise, travel to and from the port, and as I said, the cruise is longer. I just don't know how much I'd be missing out on, or not missing out on by going with the explorer.

The reality of my financial situation is that I'm likely not going on another cruise for a while. I haven't been on a cruise for years. I'm also getting married soon.

The decision I made over a year ago was to go with explorer for financial reasons for the most part. Additionally, my soon to be wife has never been on a cruise, and I didn't want to drag her to Florida on a plane, and then go on a seven night cruise instead of a nine night. I don't know how she'll react to a cruise experience at all at this point, although, she is pretty excited. Do you think I made the right choice?

I would do the 9 night and save your money for other things (a wedding/honeymoon). You will have lots of time to sail on Oasis/Allure in the future. I will tell you that we have booked Oasis for this fall and we have been on 8 other cruises. This will be more expensive than my cruise through the Panama Canal and I can't believe that it will be that much better of an experience since we have loved our other cruises! I may be suprised, but there is only so much you can do in 24 hours--sometimes the choices can be overwhelming, especially on a ship like Oasis.

I am probably in the minority, but we usually have sailed on an inside cabin to save our money. We love to vacation and can go more often if we save on the cabin and take older ships. I will say we love the balcony's and have had a jr suite before (I watch for price drops like a hawk). If it were my choice I would take a 9 night and save the extra money!

If you are actually doing a side-by-side comparison on paper of the costs, don't forget to include the cost of driving to Bayonne, tolls and gas, plus $19 x 9 for parking.

Yea, that would be true. In my particular case, those costs afor gas and tolls are being covered by the person driving us, and there are no parking costs since we're being dropped off, and picked up.

Both arlodog and Merion Mom raise good points.

We have had many wonderful cruises on smaller ships than Explorer (2 on Explorer) and have not yet decided to splurge on Oasis or Allure. It seems to us that with those, the ship becomes the destination. While we do love being on ships we also like to visit places.

Our current thinking is that the longer cruise and lower price add up to a terrific idea.

Explorer is a very fun and lovely ship so weigh your costs and allotted travel time as you make your decision.

Happy sailing and happy future.

If you lived in New York, would you take a 9 night cruise on Explorer, of fly out to FL and go on an Oasis or Allure 7 night cruise. I've not been on any of these ships (yet).

To take the Allure or Oasis, I would pay more to fly out to FL, travel to and from the airport, pay more for the same style cabin (no matter which), and lose two nights. The ship is possibly(proabably) a better experience, and the ports are pretty good.

The Explorer is local, and I could save money on the cruise, travel to and from the port, and as I said, the cruise is longer. I just don't know how much I'd be missing out on, or not missing out on by going with the explorer.

The reality of my financial situation is that I'm likely not going on another cruise for a while. I haven't been on a cruise for years. I'm also getting married soon.

The decision I made over a year ago was to go with explorer for financial reasons for the most part. Additionally, my soon to be wife has never been on a cruise, and I didn't want to drag her to Florida on a plane, and then go on a seven night cruise instead of a nine night. I don't know how she'll react to a cruise experience at all at this point, although, she is pretty excited. Do you think I made the right choice?

I"m very confused about your questions. You are leaving on the Explorer in three weeks, aren't you? It's not as though you have another option now. :confused:

(I love the Explorer, by the way. She was my "first", and that's always special.)

I"m very confused about your questions. You are leaving on the Explorer in three weeks, aren't you? It's not as though you have another option now. :confused:

(I love the Explorer, by the way. She was my "first", and that's always special.)

You're right, the decision was made a long time ago, and I'm leaving soon. I was curious if other people would make the same decision as I did if they had to choose.

I'm also wondering if I'm really missing out by choosing the Explorer over the Oasis or Allure.

That's the reason for the question.

You're right, the decision was made a long time ago, and I'm leaving soon. I was curious if other people would make the same decision as I did if they had to choose.

I'm also wondering if I'm really missing out by choosing the Explorer over the Oasis or Allure.

That's the reason for the question.

Stop second guessing yourself! That's no way to go through life!

Have a fabulous wedding and a wonderful honeymoon cruise. And be sure to come back and tell us how much you enjoyed your first cruise! :)

Stop second guessing yourself! That's no way to go through life!

Have a fabulous wedding and a wonderful honeymoon cruise. And be sure to come back and tell us how much you enjoyed your first cruise! :)

Thanks All for the warm wishes. You only get one honeymoon (you hope), and ya just want to do it right.

I have been on Oasis and Voyager class and the nine night less expensive easier to get to Explorer cruise would be my choice. Oasis is great but not necessarily better. So now since you are going on the Explorer anyway stop thinking about the Oasis. Enjoy your cruise!

9 night explorer definitely.

I've been on the explorer and haven't been on the allure/oasis(yet) but I would pick the 9 night because airfare is through the roof, flying is stressful for some.

And you said you'd have someone to drop you off at Cape Liberty.. so its an easy ride there and you can pack as heavy as you want.

I think you made the right choice - once you are dropped off at Bayonne you are truly on vacation. You just can't underestimate the enormous benefit of no airline hassle. The itinerary is great - Bermuda, St. Thomas, St. Martin, and San Juan.

I've been on the Explorer 6 times - I would advise getting to the port between 10:30 and 11 so you are among the first to board. Have lunch in the Windjammer and explore the ship - check your dining reservations, make specialty dining reservations, etc. Wear or carry on your bathing suits so you can hit the pool deck.

You only have one day in Bermuda - if you're not going on a tour, I would spurge on a cab (make a reservation) to pick you up first thing at Kings Wharf and get you out of there. Folks have been complaining about the bus and ferry services not being able to handle the volume of cruisers at King's Wharf. Getting back seems to be a lot easier.

We've sailed Explorer and loved the ship. We haven't sailed Oasis or Allure yet but we love being able to drive to the port. So many hours to get to the airport, get there early for security, wait around and the new LUGGAGE fees. You have no parking fees, either at airport or cruise terminal, you have a great ship and can enjoy 9 nights. If it would mean leaving NY in winter or cool weather, I would tell you to fly to FL. Enjoy yourself. You made a great decision.

We've sailed both and had to make a similar decision for our upcoming cruise.

Chose Explorer again.

The Oasis/Allure is something you'll want to experience, but there's nothing worth giving up 2 days or extra money for (and I can speak from experience). The only thing I missed on the Explorer after sailing the Oasis was Park Cafe - no biggie!

You'll love it.

Another vote for Explorer.

I just got off the EOS last week, again, and enjoyed it immensely. In your situation, I would definitely choose Explorer. As posted earlier, the convenience of boarding the ship in Bayonne, NJ, is in itself almost worth the price of the ticket. It's a wonderful ship, and even though it's older than the Oasis and doesn't have all those bells and whistles, it still offers a very enjoyable cruise with plenty of extras if you want them.

Enjoy the trip and congratulations!

Archived