July 1 Price Increase?

Yesterday the Regent site stated the prices were going up today, July 1. I did put a deposit on a cruise and I don't see any change in the pricing. I do see a fee of $85 for government taxes and fees that I don't recall seeing before. Has anyone else noticed if prices have increased today?

I am going to look into Seabourn. These games Regent is playing don't sit well with me.

You're correct. They did add in taxes and fees that were included before today. As they did for our Sept./12 cruise. Perhaps, they considered this an increase.

Don't see it as playing games. Just advanced notice that an increase wiil come into effect after a certain date. I am glad to be fore warned.

Always in the past, I believe, they've said, "prices *may* increase" after a certain date. In this case, some did, some didn't. And it doesn't look like they went up by much. So this dance has been going on for several years at least, the wording just may have changed slightly.

Don't think it is just a Regent thing. I get emails all the time from Silversea that say basically the same--book by . . . as prices may increase. Don't get Seabourn email so don't know about them.

Still do not think we need to be "warned" repeatedly. Rather than their announcements sounding like they are threatening you (you better book or else. . . . .), it would be so much nicer to read something like: "take advantage of our current pricing which expires 6/30/2011" (definitely could be phrased better than I just did). Even better, why not communicate the truth? If taxes are being removed from the all-inclusive price, rather than hiding it in small print, pre-announce it to customers. I'm sure there are legitimate reasons for doing this -- just tell us. That could have been an incentive to book before July 1st.

Different people react different ways to things. That is just the way it is. I find statements that tell us that we had better do something or else a threat (particularly since many times most of the fares have not increased -- an empty threat). We do not even open up the emails. However, if an email has come out explaining the new charges, we definitely would have been interested and perhaps may have booked a cruise.

Although I dislike Facebook, I checked their website and learned a few things. Most importantly, a Regent representative is there to actually answer questions. Someone may want to ask about the new fees because I'd rather not post there. They probably will not answer until after 4th of July. Here is a link: http://www.facebook.com/regentsevenseascruises

I scrolled through Regent posts (mostly ads but a few interesting ones) going back to the beginning of March. There is a nice video of the Voyager for newbies on May 16th. Also learned that the Mariner had it's 10th birthday on March 9th. Happy Birthday Mariner:-)

P.S. TheSeaAroundUs: Would love to know more about your signature -- "meow".

Have to agree with you again tc, scary I know. What I compare it to is the story about the little boy who cried wolf.

So often regent has put out those messages again and again only to have nothing happen. This time they did increase prices across the board in a secretive manner which doesn't sit well with me.

I did read the agreement that was provided in another thread by Dave Fr which clearly states that any money beyond fares that is collected shall go only to a Government or quasi Goverment agency meaning whatever these taxes/fees are, and I firmly believe them to be port charges as cannot figure out anything else that is not related to the cruise fare as this is certainly not related to fare as it is the same for all suite categories.

While Regent has nothing to gain by charging more than the actual tax/fee charges, it seems almost impossible to believe that so many of the cruises no matter the length, number of sea days vs. port days, and so many different ports with different port fees can have the cost per day be almost identical. Really think that we will see adjustments to the new tax/fee adder to be closer to the true costs. It is true that these taxes/fees change as time goes by as well as the exchange rate between US Dollars and the local currency but, Regent has to pay the exact amount. If the costs are too low, Regent will just pay extra out of profit but, what if the payments are less than what the actual costs are??

Will we be seeing checks going out to passengers post cruise to square up the costs? If not, Regent might be in violation with the agreement. Think this will be an interesting subject for awhile until everything sorts out.

I have been looking at the April, 2012 Nav. Fll RT(east coast and Bermuda) Taxes and fees remained the same but each suite went up $150 pp. Have to keep watch for the next few months to see if the increase sticks.

This article, although it doesn't specifically refer to luxury cruising, might be of interest....

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/07/03/2291224/european-cruise-prices-take-a.html

The July 3rd article is a reprint of this June 23rd Dallas Morning News article, written by the CEO of Bestfares.com. (The Miami Herald reprint gives no idea where the example fares came from.) Presumably his site is where you'd find the deals referenced to in the article. I explored the least expensive one, but that's gone up by $100 and is the same price as the special on the cruise line's own web site.

Of course, the price is for an inside cabin and doesn't include airfare or any of the other components that are included in Regent's pricing. I'd expect the overall cruise experience to be much different from Regent's or any other luxury cruise line.

If the point in referencing the article is that other European cruise fares have gone down, while Regent's have increased as of July 1st, well, the one example I looked at has increased since June 23rd.

Regarding Regent's price increases, it seems to me there are two separate issues:

1. The breakout of "government fees" from the cruise fare price and the fact that the cruise fare price is no longer all inclusive. Personally, that doesn't bother me, as long as it is clearly indicated what the total price is when reviewing a specific cruise. The pricing seems clear now, even if there were "missteps" before.

When I think of Regent and the term "all-inclusive", it mainly applies to the lack of add-on expenses that are common to other cruise lines, such as gratuities, any deviation from standard dining options, alcohol and other beverages, etc. I don't think of separation of government fees from the cruise fare.

2. The cost of the cruise increasing. If the fares remained the same, one would expect to see the fares actually decrease after the fees were broken out from the fare. Instead the fares have remained the same and even some have increased, creating a "double whammy."

A few thoughts occur to me about this: I expect to see travel costs trend up over time due to inflation (whether or not the government officially admits to it); Regent stated that their fares were going to increase July 1 -- this time at least they really meant it; whether or not pricing stays at the increased levels depends in part on whether or not people are willling to pay those prices.

For example, if Regent find that certain cruises aren't very popular, I'd expect to see price reductions and other incentives on those cruises. If Regent continues to meet its capacity targets for its cruises, then that will support the new pricing. If Regent's competitors in the luxury cruise market offer the same or a better product than Regent for less money, then Regent will likely lose business unless it makes its offering more desirable.

I know it's obvious, but the consumer (we) have some control over the prices we pay, especially for hotly-competitive areas such as cruises, even in the luxury cruise market segment.

I have been looking at the April, 2012 Nav. Fll RT(east coast and Bermuda) Taxes and fees remained the same but each suite went up $150 pp. Have to keep watch for the next few months to see if the increase sticks.

Hey Gurvis, what a coincidence! We were initially booked on that sailing (booked it while onboard Mariner in Jan), but just this week changed it to the Istanbul-Venice sailing in October/12, back on the Mariner again. (Sorry to go off-topic!).

I've been watching this price increase thing as well, so we did our booking June 29th just to be safe. :D

Just received a brochure from Oceania stressing price reductions on many cruises during Sept. to Dec. 2011. Many Far Eastern ones, but also transatlantic and Med. cruises.

Something to think about.

Don't do it Wendy ! We have had enough of Regent v. Oceania, et al.,

which is what that thread will become, eventually.

We will stick with a luxury line and make our own fiscal comparisons which most 'seasoned' cruisers are capable of doing according to their own individual tastes and requirements. Vive le Canada said Willy !!

Hey Gurvis, what a coincidence! We were initially booked on that sailing (booked it while onboard Mariner in Jan), but just this week changed it to the Istanbul-Venice sailing in October/12, back on the Mariner again. (Sorry to go off-topic!).

I've been watching this price increase thing as well, so we did our booking June 29th just to be safe. :D

Susan, our trip is not in stone but it would certainly have been more fun

if you and Wayne were going. Gurvis is doing lots of research right now.

We leave Friday for Dillon Beach, California, we're taking son and family.

For a week hopefully there won't be 100 degree heat. Martha

You're right Neville, those online comparisons have been done to death. I very much want to try Oceania, however, to see for myself.

Hi Wendy: We are most anxious for you to see for yourselves. We have cancelled our Oceania cruise and, based on recent reviews, would not consider Oceania. In fact, it is now apparent to me that Oceania is in competition with Regent (which makes little sense). When you look at the size of the cabin, excursions, alcohol, etc., Oceania fails miserably (unless you get an inside or cabin without a balcony.

Hi Wendy: We are most anxious for you to see for yourselves. ... When you look at the size of the cabin, excursions, alcohol, etc., Oceania fails miserably (unless you get an inside or cabin without a balcony.

Hey Jackie, not sure I agree with you. I just did a comparison between two Europe to Rio crossings (I know you're on the Regent one.) Here's the breakdown:

Mariner, MC-Rio, 17 nights, lowest fare $7799 (lowest available $8599). Add on Business Air for an additional $2000. $9799 pp lowest

Marina, Rome-Rio, 18 nights, cheapest veranda $3599 (lowest available veranda $3899). Add Business Air +$3799. $7198 pp lowest

(If you want a nice big PH, it goes up to $5399 + $3799 = $9198 pp)

Of course, no drinks, tips or excursions. But the Marina standard balcony rooms look almost as big as a standard cabin on Regent (I know, you don't book standard cabins, but the comparison should hold up the line.)

Unless there's something wrong with my math, Marina looks like a much better deal, and I'd rather start a cruise in Rome anyways. Just sayin'.

Hey Jackie, not sure I agree with you. I just did a comparison between two Europe to Rio crossings (I know you're on the Regent one.) Here's the breakdown:

Mariner, MC-Rio, 17 nights, lowest fare $7799 (lowest available $8599). Add on Business Air for an additional $2000. $9799 pp lowest

Marina, Rome-Rio, 18 nights, cheapest veranda $3599 (lowest available veranda $3899). Add Business Air +$3799. $7198 pp lowest

(If you want a nice big PH, it goes up to $5399 + $3799 = $9198 pp)

Of course, no drinks, tips or excursions. But the Marina standard balcony rooms look almost as big as a standard cabin on Regent (I know, you don't book standard cabins, but the comparison should hold up the line.)

Unless there's something wrong with my math, Marina looks like a much better deal, and I'd rather start a cruise in Rome anyways. Just sayin'.

Just a quickie response. Per FDR, you need to add $75/day for tips/wine. Marina does come out lower -- but not by much. Keep in mind also that the "concierge program" is worse on Oceania and you would have to wait until the premium customers board. If we were to try a premium ship, it would be Azamara rather than one owned by PCH.

Getting back to price increases and Regent communication. I no longer believe they have any intension of being open and honest with their customers. The Customer Service Reps. may or may not know the truth so the information provided is questionable. Brochures contain errors. The website contains errors. And, the only communication they are capable of is warnings that, once again, they may or may not increase prices. What a way to do business.

Getting back to price increases and Regent communication. I no longer believe they have any intension of being open and honest with their customers. The Customer Service Reps. may or may not know the truth so the information provided is questionable. Brochures contain errors. The website contains errors. And, the only communication they are capable of is warnings that, once again, they may or may not increase prices. What a way to do business.

I sit back in wonderment...

If I had even 10% of the complaints you have expressed on and on about Regent, I would have been long gone.

I wouldn't take my time to post over and over about how bad things are.

I would use the precious years available to me to seek new frontiers and not be so concerned about what others think or like from moment to moment..

J... If we were to try a premium ship, it would be Azamara rather than one owned by PCH.

I am ruling out the old R ships at the moment, simply because the cabins are too small. You need to go up to a Club Ocean Suite before you get a decent size on Az. That goes for the older O ships as well. But the standard balcony cabins on Marina are a good size, and the PH's look really big.

I sit back in wonderment...

If I had even 10% of the complaints you have expressed on and on about Regent, I would have been long gone.

I wouldn't take my time to post over and over about how bad things are.

I would use the precious years available to me to seek new frontiers and not be so concerned about what others think or like from moment to moment..

How sad: Freedom of speech puts you in "wonderment".

I suppose that increasing unannounced fees has the opposite effect? You certainly have the right to tout the wonders of Regent -- to enjoy paying more money while standing at the end of the line, etc.

There is one point that I've repeatedly made and, for some reason, you don't understand it. Perhaps if I went biblical, you might get it. Hate the sin - not the sinner. So, in simple words -- I do not like sneaky new fees or a program that is not fair to all passengers. There is also a communication disconnect within Regent which is why misinformation is being given out. This needs to be corrected - even if it means daily communication to each and every employee that speaks with their customers. I love the Regents ships (Voyager and Mariner), the service, the type of people who sail on Regent, and most of the food. I recommend Regent to friends all the time.

Repetition is part of being a CruiseCritic regular poster. The same questions are asked over and over and over -- even within the same thread. The threads about Alaska right now aren't really different than last year. My answers are not going to change unless something with Regent has changed. If you wish to only respond once and ignore the same question the next time you read it, you can do so (but we might miss the phrase you repeat so often. . . . "the sky isn't falling":-)

Archived