which laptop?

bissel

I would appreciate some suggestions as to which laptop would be good for my husband and me to bring on our cruises and some on land journeys.

I operate on extremely limited and interested ability. My husband is a couple of steps above me but neither of us are too computer literate. We would be interested in getting and receiving emails and some internet reading. Nothing too time consuming at all.

For some reason he doesn't want to get the Ipad or Iphone. He has Verizon Android. He also doesn't want the notebook. Can you recommend a decent laptop for us?

Thanks for any forthcoming help!

We are into light weight and reliable when we travel. 6 months ago, I selected a HP-210 Mini for our latest travel computer. I was concerned that it was a little "under-sepeced" for my needs, but I've been happy with it. And the price is right. I paid $329 at Sam's club. Good luck!!

I would appreciate some suggestions as to which laptop would be good for my husband and me to bring on our cruises and some on land journeys.

I operate on extremely limited and interested ability. My husband is a couple of steps above me but neither of us are too computer literate. We would be interested in getting and receiving emails and some internet reading. Nothing too time consuming at all.

For some reason he doesn't want to get the Ipad or Iphone. He has Verizon Android. He also doesn't want the notebook. Can you recommend a decent laptop for us?

Thanks for any forthcoming help!

leave the damn thing home; it's called a VACATION !!!:eek:

Thanks for the replies. I believe the HP Mini sounds good and is something we will investigate. I'm not sure my husband will get involved with an Apple product but thanks for that idea. As long as we can be in touch with the family we are satisfied with something very simple. We do not have a cell phone we can use outside the US so the computer will be our means of communication.

I understand that, for whatever reason, the OP resists the iPad.

Nonetheless, is it not the case that the iPad works well on ships for collecting and replying to email and occasional web surfing?

Has anyone found the iPad less than satisfactory?

I understand that, for whatever reason, the OP resists the iPad.

Nonetheless, is it not the case that the iPad works well on ships for collecting and replying to email and occasional web surfing?

Has anyone found the iPad less than satisfactory?

While I really enjoy the Apple Products we need to keep in mind that the original poster said she has limited knowledge of computers and her husband is a little ahead of her. If their experience is on a windows based product they are probably best to stick with something that they are familiar with.

The IPad has lots of advantages including that it is very light and small, but if you are not familiar with the product it does take time to learn.

A small portable computer that has very basic features is probably best for them.

I would recommend that the original poster goes to a couple of store to just look at computers such as Best Buy, Fryes, and if they belong to say Costco that might be good as well.

Keith

Second the idea to nix anything unfamiliar! Windows is enough of a challenge to me!

Thanks for the input. We will go to Costco and find something-perhaps that mini HP. We have several months so there's no pressure.

This is a most helpful site in finding answers to practical questions and I appreciate being able to navigate a computer well enough to be able to use this forum.

Thanks to all!

Also, suggest considering ASUS. ASuS UL 30VT Series (the UL30VT-X1, for example is Thin, ultra portable (about 3.75 pounds), and has almost 11 hours of Battery life).We Have Dell and Asus laptops. For travel--portability the Asus is wonderful. Also, Concur w/ Keith's rec to visit Best buy/Frye's or Costco to determine which laptop you like best. However, once ready to buy (if comfortable buying online vs the store) consider googling "best price on your laptop choice" to see if u can beat the bricks and sticks store's price.

I have a 13 inch apple which I got a long while back. DO not be afraid of it as if you are just going to email and surf same as PC windows .

For movies just load the movie on the hard drive or get like a 16 gb thumb drive and you can load 8 movies on it. Great for use in the plane or waiting at a terminal You can get them on ebay for 20 dollars. Works on pc or apple

We travel a lot for business and pleasure so it keeps us from going crazy waiting in a terminal :eek:

We recently bought a HP Pavilion dm4-1 160 Entertainment Notebook. It's remarkably light, especially compare to our huge and heavy HP wide screen laptop, though heavier than a netbook. Our reasoning getting the notebook versus the netbook was long term flexibility in that the notebook had a disc drive which allows us to easy load or download files, programs, etc., and it had a bit more operating speed than most netbooks. We don't use it for Internet access except around the house but on a cruise it's a great way to save photos and maintain a running diary of daily events, particularly on port intensive cruises. We're not opposed to Apple products but in terms of dollars the HP was less expensive and we're used to Windows based systems and HP computers in general.

Personally, I prefer the netbook for travel and I am evaluating options for purchase at this time. But, you mentioned that your phone runs Android. If the idea of a tablet interests you there are a large number of Android tablets on the market.

Unless you want to use the computer to back up your photos, why bother buying something for the trip? We do travel with a mini computer and use it only to back up our cameras. I will probably take my newly purchased Xoom tablet just for fun, and he will take his Nook, but for checking e-mails, I will use the computers that the ship supplies. That has worked fine in the past, and I see no reason that it won't work well going forward.

Personally, I prefer the netbook for travel and I am evaluating options for purchase at this time. But, you mentioned that your phone runs Android. If the idea of a tablet interests you there are a large number of Android tablets on the market.

I would opt for a Blackberry Playbook tablet. The size is only 7 inches and is extremely portable and powerful. The internet browser allows full access to internet sites, unlike the Ipad. It is capable of taking high resolution videos which can be played back on you TV. It also takes decent photos. Kobo is the E Reader and it also plays your music library.

The best thing is the portability!

I would opt for a Blackberry Playbook tablet. The size is only 7 inches and is extremely portable and powerful. The internet browser allows full access to internet sites, unlike the Ipad. It is capable of taking high resolution videos which can be played back on you TV. It also takes decent photos. Kobo is the E Reader and it also plays your music library.

The best thing is the portability!

Does not have email client so you have to stay online to read your emails . If you have a lot to read and reply to can it pricy

Archived