Maasdam or Nordam Southern Carib January 2

BSinPNS

Debating between booking the 11 Day Southern Caribbean on January 2 on Maasdam or Nordam. Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Cannot comment on the Maasdam yet (sail in December), but the Noordam was an elegant ship, great crew and we did the same cruise last December and would do it again in a heartbeat.

If I were deciding based strictly on ship, the decision would be easy. The Maasdam. It's smaller, more intimate. A lovely ship.

Sure, the Noordam is lovely, too, but it is just too large. You don't get to know your fellow passengers nearly as well. The stewards don't get to know the passengers nearly as well as they do on a smaller ship.

Both itineraries look great. If you have been on one of the ships, I might choose the other to try something new. Have been on the Maasdam on a Caribbean cruise and loved it. Am going on the Noordam in November. I'm not much of a help for your decision. Whatever you choose, I am sure your will enjoy - you can't beat a HAL cruise.

BSinPNS I will admit being bias towards the Maasdam (sailed on her three times :D!)

But I would base it on ports. Which are the ones that really appeal to you? Both ships are heading to some great places.

I've sailed on other Vista class ships and they were still a nice size that wasn't overwhelming. Compared to some of the other cruiselines larger ships in their fleets, the Noordam is still a small ship.

You can't go wrong with either!

If I were deciding based strictly on ship, the decision would be easy. The Maasdam. It's smaller, more intimate. A lovely ship.

Sure, the Noordam is lovely, too, but it is just too large. You don't get to know your fellow passengers nearly as well. The stewards don't get to know the passengers nearly as well as they do on a smaller ship.

Is there some compelling reason(s) why one would be obligated to "get to know your fellow passengers" or for the stewards to get to know the passengers? :confused:

Is there some compelling reason(s) why one would be obligated to "get to know your fellow passengers" or for the stewards to get to know the passengers? :confused:

Obligated? That's your word. Why would you visit that upon RuthC?

I, like her, very much enjoy the social aspect of cruising the smaller ships.

It's a very nice feeling to walk around a ship and have the stewards and entertainers and staff stop to talk to you by name.

It's also nice to meet fellow passengers and run into them in the show lounge, on tours, or around the ship. It's never an obligation, but rather a nicety.

And, I believe this will be my 9,000th post.:)

Maasdam and Noordam are our two favorite ships and we have done the Southern Caribbean on both...... loved both trips and you cannot go wrong with either IMO

When we were in port on Maasdam and saw Noordam, she was gorgeous to see.

When on Noordam and in port with Maasdam, sigh....... we wanted to be on both. :D

Carol.......

I'm a little late as I'm just seeing this thread after returning home from Maasdam yesterday.........

Congratulations on 9,000 posts.

Looking forward to seeing many more from you. :)

I would prefer the Noordam because of the middle elevator. Although it is a larger ship, many times it cuts down walking by having the middle elevator. There are times when I have to limit my walking. Both are wonderful ships.

Not really. We tend to be loners when we cruise so while we enjoy the staff's always friendly and professional courtesies, we are not minglers nor does it matter if they "remember us" in any way. Though it is nice when after the first night in fixed dining, the staff assigned to our table gets to know I like Jasmine tea and DH likes an espresso after dinner and we don't need to ask each evening. But that is about it for us "getting to know" anyone on the ship. We travel to get away from our busy and people intensive daily lives at home, so cruises are retreat and refresh times for us alone.

We've never been on the Noordam but have been on other Vista class ships. Lovely ships but eight of our cruises have been on the smaller S and R class ships like the Maasdam and we were just on her this past March. No doubt we'd go with the Maasdam first.

Funny, I would like the Maasdam for walking less than the Noordam. Smaller ship equals less walking unless your cabin and everything else you are doing are near the mid elevators! On the other hand, I like riding in the glass elevators!! Either ship is fine!

Ruth did not say she felt "obligated" to meet fellow passengers. I believe she meant that as a positive...that she enjoys meeting fellow passengers as is easier on a smaller ship. I totally agree...I enjoy meeting pax as well as the crew.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Archived