Missing school, your thoughts

CanadaFour

I am taking my 3 children out of school this coming October for our family cruise. (pre k, 1st grade and 9th grade) It's our first one as a family, the children are more then excited and if taking them out of school for this makes me a bad person, so be it. Yes, it will be considered an unexcused absence for all 3. My husband has black out dates where he can not take off from May through Sept 15th. I have black out dates where I can not take off from July 1st through Sept 30th. Going on Vacation during the summer is just not something we can do. Traveling during School breaks, we honestly just can NOT afford. We can't jusify paying thousands more to avoid taking them out of school, nor do I really want to travel at the same time as the majority of the country is traveling as well. It may get harder with our daughter being in High school now, yes, but for the time being it works for our family.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and doing what is best for each family. What works for one may not work for the other.

We are taking our kids(pre-k and 1st grade) out of school this November for a cruise. 1. I need a vacation to get away from work twice a year - once in the summer and once in the late fall and 2. It is 1/2 the price as the summer or school breaks.

Growing up my parents took me and my brother out of school for 2 weeks every winter to go to Florida until we were in high school. We would ask the teachers for some homework or tasks we could do while away and I remember not being allowed out of the hotel room until I did my hour or so worth of school work before playing. Most teachers if not all provided work for me on vacation. I graduated high school with a diploma on time, went to college and a tech school, I have a very successful job. I now have my own family, a house, food on the table and the ability to go on vacation every year. I guess all those weeks of missed school affected my outcome. I miss those days going to Florida with my parents (Miami or Yourami)and especially my grandparents (gone now). Life is too short to worry about all the little things.

Now if my children were struggling with school then I would reconsider.

The deal we have with our girls is if they remain on the honor role each and every semester they get to come with us, if they fall below then they cannot afford to miss any school and stay.

I really wish that school systems would get away from the archaic summer-vacation schedule they have now, and go year-round with three non-consecutive months off. Each district within a state could stagger when they had off, so that some would be off January-May-September, some would be off February-June-October, some would have off March-July-November, and the others would be off April-August-December.

In terms of vacation scheduling, this sort of arrangement would work much better for people whose jobs are seasonal. It would also help smooth out the peak/off-peak cost differentials, making cruising more affordable for more people. And by spreading things out across the year, it would make it easier for people to vacation during the seasons they would prefer. I suspect that if this sort of schedule were implemented, absences from school for vacation purposes would go way down.

Busman ~ I think you are RIGHT on. Now... can you make that happen??? :D

[scratching my head] . . . run for a seat on the School Board? Become Emperor? Hmmm . . . I'll have to get back to you on that one! ;)

Just wondering, for those of you who would take your kids out of school for a vacation, is it OK for me to take mine out of school for a family vacation? It would be A LOT cheaper. Half the price. Oh, I guess I should say I am a teacher. Just a thought...

Just wondering, for those of you who would take your kids out of school for a vacation, is it OK for me to take mine out of school for a family vacation? It would be A LOT cheaper. Half the price. Oh, I guess I should say I am a teacher. Just a thought...

Isn't that why substitute teachers were invented?

But you get roughly 16 weeks to choose from, no? 180 days of school/5 days a week equals 36 weeks of school, leaving 16 weeks in the year you don't work. While I understand it's not all in full weeks, it is still a lot different from the 2 or possibly 3 weeks that most people get off per year. Big difference. Especially since in a lot of places you can only take certain weeks off due to other people having to cover.

I'm a high school student and to be honest I would love to take a cruise during the school year. And for those having doubts for kindergarteners? Or maybe even Third Graders? For me that would be crazy, to not take advantage of the opportunity!

Speaking first hand, up until maybe 10th grade it is definitely manageable. Even as a Junior, or Senior I could probably afford to miss the first week of the semester meaning September or February for me. People are switching classes all the time and often will start later than others. And please, believe your child (especially if they are in elementary) when they say that they are not learning much in class, because chances are they aren't. if they are a hardworking student they can definitely catch up on any work that they miss. And to be honest, "learning" now days, at least in my area means cramming information in to get a 90+ on the upcoming test, assignment or project. Really, the real goal is to simply achieve this high number. Going on a cruise, and experiencing the "touristy attractions" seems like a better representation of 'learning'. You experience something new, learn something about the culture and often will learn some history or interesting facts just for your personal sake! Actually learning for interest vs cramming information for a grade..

Sorry for the long post, but I'm all for missing school for a short period of time, unless its right before exam/crunch time.

And to be honest, "learning" now days, at least in my area means cramming information in to get a 90+ on the upcoming test, assignment or project. Really, the real goal is to simply achieve this high number.

But, that's only because you let this be the goal.

Are you writing this when you should be in school :)?

But, that's only because you let this be the goal.

Are you writing this when you should be in school :)?

cyc94 is from Canada, according to his profile.

Canada doesn't have school in late July...

Heck... are ANY kids in school in late July?

Onessa, I have read many of your posts, and although I may not necessarily agree with your opinions, I have always respected them as being well thought-out, reasonable and free of pejorative terms. However, in the above instance, I must take exception. Education in my former district was, and still is, viewed as a cooperative effort requiring commitment equally by students, parents and teachers. Please explain to me how setting high standards, ensuring that all parties understand those standards, and then holding all accountable to those standards is "mean-spirited."

Although I do not feel it necessary to validate myself to you, I want to note that, at the beginning of the school year, I gave any parent/student unwilling to accept these standards the opportunity to opt out of my classroom without prejudice. In 35 years of teaching, I did not have a single student or parent exercise that option...not one.

Your above comment is demeaning, offensive, and beneath you.

I stand by my complete statement that ended with the thought that "The students cannot really control if their parents pull them out of school -- if a parent pulls their child out of school, should the teacher punish the student for his/her parents' actions? I thought the teacher's goal was to teach the student, not teach the student's parents a lesson?" Failing a child for the parent's actions is simply wrong and has no place in our school system.

I do appreciate your clarification about giving the parent/student the option to "opt out" of your classroom.

I do have knee-jerk responses to the "my way or the high way" posts. As someone who was only diagnosed as an adult as having had several learning "issues" -- I appreciate a teacher or a school system that can adapt to deal with those of us who are "exceptions" to the rules rather than simply a blanket this is "how it is"

My own experience in the elementary and secondary school system had far too high of an incidence of teachers or administrators who had zero tolerance for anything that was not precisely to their own personal private rules. Fortunately -- I had help from a few really great teachers who helped me adapt the traditional lessons to something that worked for me. These folks gave me the tools I needed to make it through high school, college and post-secondary --My friends and co-workers shake their heads when they are subjected to my thought processes :D but hey it works for me.

As a child, my parents pulled me out of school every year for family vacations.

I went on to graduated from high school, earn my bachelors degree, and I've had quite a healthy career.

Since my father passed, I'll never be able to replace those precious family vacation memories. Who cares if they were an educational experience?

People take for granted that they will be a family forever.

Our last family vacation was a cruise in 2005 nine months before my stepson committed suicide.

[scratching my head] . . . run for a seat on the School Board? Become Emperor? Hmmm . . . I'll have to get back to you on that one! ;)

If I were you I'd hold out for a really cool title - "exhaulted grand puba" or somthing.

cyc94 is from Canada, according to his profile.

Canada doesn't have school in late July...

Heck... are ANY kids in school in late July?

Thus the :). Yes, if children are in year round schools, there are lots in school in July.

We went on a cruise last September. As we are in Australia our kids were on school vacation for 2 weeks. Our 10 year old daughter had an extra week off school as we were away for 3 weeks. We went to the Mediterranean which was an amazing and educational experience for them. The memories of those 3 weeks travelling to Europe will stay with them forever and what little they did miss as school made no difference to their learning and education. I asked the teacher if she wanted to give her some homework to do and she said that the experience itself would be a fantastic learning experience in itself and there was no need to do any homework except for perhaps a travel diary. If the kids fall behind because they miss one or two weeks of school than the school must be doing something wrong. Travel is a valuable learning and educational experience for any child and if you have the opportunity than I say go for it.

Our local school district requires you to put the students on independent study if they will be missing 5+ days of school. I love this because it also requires the teachers to supply the assignments for the students so they don't get behind. Our daughter is only starting kindergarten, but I'm glad this policy is in place for when she is older :-)

All the more reason to stand up to your values, saving for a couple years and not let your standards down is what values, hardwork and sacrfice are all about ;) Its all too easy to cave in. Isn't that why people ask here? They know what is right, what is along the slippery slope and come here to get support for where to stop on the slippery slope.

In the end everyone has to chose their values and make the compromises. Believe it or not I have my standards because my parents sacrficed everything to make education a priority, one of the reasons I'm luck enough to not have to make compromise and can suck it up and pay to go when I do is because of what they instilled in me. I work hard to insure my kids while soo much more fortunant than me will have the same values. I never look back and because I didn't do anything because of money or other excuse regret, I only look at how those sacrifices are so valuable and important in forming my and hopefully my childrens values, they are pretty smart and pick up on all these little cues!

I didn't get to Europe till I was 30, didn't take my first cruise till I was 36. My kids for better or worse been to places before they were even "in" formal school that I didn't get to till my 30s and 40s. I really hope to keep that value system so my grandchildren continue it no matter the financials. I would NEVER take them out of school for a vacation, but that is me. I got here because my parents NEVER did either not because it hampered my education, because school was so great, or the trip was less educational or that family time was better. Is family time on a vacation better than family time sitting around the table for dinner every day and game / movie time togather at home? It was because values and priorities are the priorityes, but again thats me.

Ducking and covering again :D

Funny how some people think that their values are the only right values and what everyone else should strive to have and sacrifice for. I graduated from high school #1 in my class. I put myself through college with no help from my parents who were divorced and not able to financially help me at all. School was relatively easy for me. I have earned an MBA and 6 figure income from my job where I work an average 40 hours a week. DH, whom I’ve been happily married to for 23 years, works 50-60 hours per week. We have 2 children who are now in high school, are both A average students (I know 6Rugrats has an issue with this but too bad…I'm just stating the facts) and are both active in sports. At the age of 30, 3 months after DD was born, I was diagnosed with a peripartum cardiomyopathy. I nearly died leaving my DH with a newborn and a 3 year old. This gives you a much different perspective on family time and what it means. My values do not include the children being in the school room 100% of the time. My values do include:

1. Following the rules.

2. Education...Meaning the children learn the information. Sometimes that’s in the classroom and sometimes it’s working at home with my help. What matters to me is that they learn it, not where they learn it.

3. Doing my job to the best of my ability. Which includes taking vacations when they least impact my job.

4. Supporting my children's chosen activities. I have encouraged my children to be active in sports since they were 3. This is something I was not encouraged to do. They are both healthy, have self-confidence, and have learned responsibility, dedication, discipline, and team work from these activities.

5. Spending as much vacation time as I can with my family, away from school, work, and other activities. Since our honeymoon (which was my first true vacation), vacations have been an important bonding time for our family and one that we would sacrifice to have.

I do not currently pull my children out of school for extended periods at their request. They are both in high school now and it is more difficult to make up the work. Not that they aren't able...but they are unwilling to take the extra time to do so. This restricts us to 2 weeks during the year we can currently schedule vacations due to DH and my work schedules, sports and school schedules. So I schedule vacations in those 2 weeks and try to fit in as many long week-ends as possible.

When my kids were younger I would not hesitate to pull them out of school for a week. They were both willing and able to make up the work, the teachers and school were willing and able to work with us, and I was willing to help the kids where necessary. The children made up their work in the time allowed and their grades never dropped. This meant that we did not compromise on any of our values.

As for education on vacations…on our vacation last week our children learned about the Titanic at the Maritime Museum in Halifax, whales, lobsters, and other sea life on a whale watching excursion in Halifax, they saw the tides change in Saint Martins after walking in the Sea Caves, and explored the natural beauty along the Bay of Fundy Trail, DD did a master dance class with a Rockette in Radio City Music Hall, we explored Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, and we spent 6 hours wondering the halls of the American Museum of Natural History. I’m willing to bet they learned more in the past week than any week they spent in school.

Like you Chipmaster, I hope my values are passed on to my children and grandchildren…they are just not the same values you have. I don’t want my kids to have to compromise our family time in order to be in school 100% of the time. I also don’t want them to compromise their education in order to have family time….and they haven’t. Like you I have not regretted any decision I have made in raising my family by the values I believe in. Believe me when I say that my children have life so much easier than I had growing up and I know I have instilled in them the values and the discipline they need to succeed in their own chosen paths.

Gee, I never thought of myself as having a narrow "view view" of life, and if my retirement has made you happy, then I am pleased that I brought some good into this world for at least one person.

Speaking of being narrow minded, if you go back and re-read my post, you will note that I said in terms of a responsibility to society, he/she has one "obligation" and that it is the responsibility of parents to ensure that the child fulfills that obligation. I did not think it necessary to state the obvious that children need opportunity to develop a sense of responsibility inherent in other circumstances such as household chores, promises made to others, etc. These types of responsibilities, however, are subordinate to the primary obligation of attending school while in session. "Obligation" here having the connotation of moral or ethical responsibility and expediency to a higher purpose.

A fundamental concept of any society is that if one is to reap the benefits of membership in a society, one must also be willing to accept the responsibilities as well. In effect, it's a give and take relationship, and an understanding of that relationship, for children, develops over time through repetition and reinforcement. For a parent to pull a child out of school for a vacation sabotages that concept and developmental process. Instead, it indicates to the child that fulfillment of an obligation is required only when it is convenient to do so.

Now, to my way of thinking...that's a narrow view of life.

I respectfully disagree with this. A child's obligation to society is not to sit in a classroom. A parent is responsible for insuring their child gets an education that will enable them to succeed in their future endeavors. Whether that education is achieved in a classroom or not is irrelevant.

I understand your stance with parents in your school. Those were your school rules and you were following them and expecting the parents to do the same. Personally I would not put my children in a school with those strict rules over my children and how I raise them.

My children's school excuses absences for family vacation. My children make up the work and learn the material missed...that is their obligation. I make sure they learn the material and turn it in on time...that is my responsibilty. Both my children and I have met our obligations in terms of their education. I have in no way, shape, or form sabotaged their sense of responsibility or their development process by pulling them out of school for a week when they were younger. I guarantee if you asked any of their teachers or coaches they would back me up 100%.

Some people refuse to believe that children can learn outside of sitting a classroom. I have no problem with that concept as I did it myself. No my parents did not pull me out of school to go on vacations. But I was always the child that worked way ahead of the class and the teacher because I was bored and still got all A's. In fact my Algebra teacher used to correct her tests with mine before grading the rest of the class. My honors Economics class was basically a self-study with just an advisor to look over the tests I gave myself. I got through the books and tests in half a semester and spent the rest of the time volunteering in the library. My children take after me. School comes easy to them. This allowed me to pull them from school without harming their education. If they struggled it would be a different story. But they don't. So I could. That's why this is such an individual decision and to brand everyone who does it as sabatoging their children is just wrong. As a teacher you should know not paint everyone with the same color brush.

Actually my parents weren't that engaged or involved, they were too busy working hard putting me thru school and making the sacrifices. What I learned most was values and not compromsing and making sacrifices for them.

It's too slippery a slope to get into doing something or not because the outcome may or may not materially change. Its about values and teaching your children to stand by that. Look at the arguments here, all about doing something by explanining how it is "okay" why do you have to "explain?"

For some its vacation time togather above other things. I'm okay with that for you, but it wouldn't be for me nor what I am willing to compromises on.

Are you too busy to be involved too and do you expect, like your parents before you, the school to be the main educator of your children while you slave away, making sacrifices to provide for them?

I think that is the main difference between you and me. DH and I work hard to. But we also take the time to invest in our children's education and their interests. I work at a job that respects the family. My schedule is flexible and can be worked around my children's activities. I can also work from home when the kids are in bed sleeping if needed. This allows me to help in their education if needed (which isn't very often). It allows me to go to all the concerts, games, and competitions (DH also tries to get to all of these but his schedule is not as flexible as mine, even so he has only missed a handful). It allows me to drive DD to dance classes a 1/2 hour each way 3 times a week, after working an 8 hour day, and then run my errands or just take a break during the 2-3 hours she is in class.

I make plenty of sacrifices for my children. But I don't sacrifice my time with them. And that includes the vacation time we take to get away from the madness of work, school, and activities. I looked hard and long to find a job that recognize importance of family time. I repay them by going above and beyond in my duties and am rewarded for that. One of the things I do is make sure I schedule my family vacations in a way that it doesn't interfere with DH and mine work schedules. When my kids sign up for an activity or sport, I also make sure our family vacations don't interfere with the commitment they made to the team. School to me has the most flexible schedule when it comes to planning a vacation. Our school policy excuses these absences and the teachers will work with the students. Plus my kids have the ability to make up the work with my help. So to me there is no compromise to our values as long as the kids make up the work on time. There is no need for us to sacrifice our vacation due to the school schedule as no compromise is made as long as the work is done and turned in on time.

As for why we are explaing....This is a family discussion forum on a cruising board and the OP asked for our opinion on taking kids out of school. It is very apparent that there are diffent opinions on this subject. Don't you explain your reasons why you don't pull kids out school? Why can't we explain our reasons why we do? It's not excuses. It's not justification. It's how we run our lives based on our values and just because it is different than your values doesn't make us wrong or using excuses or justifying anything.

Since you asked, no never too busy for kids/family. Don't lecture me about if and when I missed my childrens time. Perhaps go see my travel blog and see what I value from the memories I capture. Everything you do, I do too just managed with a 60-80 hour work week. ;)

I guess you don't appreciate or understand the culture or history of some immigrant ethnic groups. Funny as these are the groups that dominate the top tier universities. It is a stereotype but in stereotypes there are themes that arent' rules but there are things that can be learned and adopted by all. Its those hard sacrficies that in the end have populated the upper group of citizens in many developed countries. Every great breakthru, product, development is usually a result of huge sacrfices by many. Nothing is free in life, always compromises everywhere, career/family, money/family, education/fun. I guess I never feel the sacrifice for education is a sacrfice, nor that it and vacation is exclusive. To think so is the slipper slope too many coop out on. Its all an execuse in my opinion, and yes my opinion. I know I'm the minority view.

Per signature I work hard really hard to enable likely three chips in the computer 99% of the people on earth use, about 60-80 hours a week. Does it mean I don't spend time with my children, I see some co-workers who don't and I feel bad for their families and SO, but that is a choice or value for them. If people ask me my opinion and I will share it. I can appreciate others, it looks like you have a great balance and good for you!

For me I make free time for the kids and wife, and me last. I guess that is a value of mine so I make it a priority to be home for meals, games, pick up from practice, attend games if you are interested and to make it all else balance working till past midnight and up at 6am or earlier. My wife decided to retire from a promising career, at the time she made as much as me and I have no doubt could have matched my career trajectory but we made a choice like all families have to. I am lucky that her background is similar to mine and there isn't a debate on this topic. There is never a free lunch in life, you always are giving up something for something else, its not a bad thing, its all about what are your "values!"

The poster asked for opinion, my opinion school and how you value it and how you behave is more important than saving a few dollars. In rolemodeling you achieve a lot more. Family time, vacation time, sorry if you aren't in the social economic layer that can do it, maybe one should think about how they enable their children so they can :D.

Are you too busy to be involved too and do you expect, like your parents before you, the school to be the main educator of your children while you slave away, making sacrifices to provide for them?

I think that is the main difference between you and me. DH and I work hard to. But we also take the time to invest in our children's education and their interests. I work at a job that respects the family. My schedule is flexible and can be worked around my children's activities. I can also work from home when the kids are in bed sleeping if needed. This allows me to help in their education if needed (which isn't very often). It allows me to go to all the concerts, games, and competitions (DH also tries to get to all of these but his schedule is not as flexible as mine, even so he has only missed a handful). It allows me to drive DD to dance classes a 1/2 hour each way 3 times a week, after working an 8 hour day, and then run my errands or just take a break during the 2-3 hours she is in class.

I make plenty of sacrifices for my children. But I don't sacrifice my time with them. And that includes the vacation time we take to get away from the madness of work, school, and activities. I looked hard and long to find a job that recognize importance of family time. I repay them by going above and beyond in my duties and am rewarded for that. One of the things I do is make sure I schedule my family vacations in a way that it doesn't interfere with DH and mine work schedules. When my kids sign up for an activity or sport, I also make sure our family vacations don't interfere with the commitment they made to the team. School to me has the most flexible schedule when it comes to planning a vacation. Our school policy excuses these absences and the teachers will work with the students. Plus my kids have the ability to make up the work with my help. So to me there is no compromise to our values as long as the kids make up the work on time. There is no need for us to sacrifice our vacation due to the school schedule as no compromise is made as long as the work is done and turned in on time.

As for why we are explaing....This is a family discussion forum on a cruising board and the OP asked for our opinion on taking kids out of school. It is very apparent that there are diffent opinions on this subject. Don't you explain your reasons why you don't pull kids out school? Why can't we explain our reasons why we do? It's not excuses. It's not justification. It's how we run our lives based on our values and just because it is different than your values doesn't make us wrong or using excuses or justifying anything.

Since you asked, no never too busy for kids/family. Don't lecture me about if and when I missed my childrens time. Perhaps go see my travel blog and see what I value from the memories I capture. Everything you do, I do too just managed with a 60-80 hour work week. ;)

I guess you don't appreciate or understand the culture or history of some immigrant ethnic groups. Funny as these are the groups that dominate the top tier universities. It is a stereotype but in stereotypes there are themes that arent' rules but there are things that can be learned and adopted by all. Its those hard sacrficies that in the end have populated the upper group of citizens in many developed countries. Every great breakthru, product, development is usually a result of huge sacrfices by many. Nothing is free in life, always compromises everywhere, career/family, money/family, education/fun. I guess I never feel the sacrifice for education is a sacrfice, nor that it and vacation is exclusive. To think so is the slipper slope too many coop out on. Its all an execuse in my opinion, and yes my opinion. I know I'm the minority view.

Per signature I work hard really hard to enable likely three chips in the computer 99% of the people on earth use, about 60-80 hours a week. Does it mean I don't spend time with my children, I see some co-workers who don't and I feel bad for their families and SO, but that is a choice or value for them. If people ask me my opinion and I will share it. I can appreciate others, it looks like you have a great balance and good for you!

For me I make free time for the kids and wife, and me last. I guess that is a value of mine so I make it a priority to be home for meals, games, pick up from practice, attend games if you are interested and to make it all else balance working till past midnight and up at 6am or earlier. My wife decided to retire from a promising career, at the time she made as much as me and I have no doubt could have matched my career trajectory but we made a choice like all families have to. I am lucky that her background is similar to mine and there isn't a debate on this topic. There is never a free lunch in life, you always are giving up something for something else, its not a bad thing, its all about what are your "values!"

The poster asked for opinion, my opinion school and how you value it and how you behave is more important than saving a few dollars. In rolemodeling you achieve a lot more. Family time, vacation time, sorry if you aren't in the social economic layer that can do it, maybe one should think about how they enable their children so they can :D.

I think you missed my point. I wasn't questioning your spending quality time with your children. I have read that you do and I admire you for it. I was talking about educational time. You seem to heavily rely on the school to do the educating of your children since you need to work 60-80 to support them. Because of this, you emphasize the need for kids to be in the class room.

I personally do not rely on the class room to properly education my children. My own school experience was one of being mostly self-taught. I was always working ahead of the class and learning by reading the text and doing the problems. The classroom was too slow and boring for me. As I said before, I graduated 1st in my class. I do not credit the school for that. I spend time working with my kids educationally and helping them when the school fails to teach them. Don’t get me wrong, I think schools have their value and I do send my kids to them, but I don’t rely on them for kid’s total education.

My children have shown the same tendency as me in their education. They learn at a faster pace than other children in their class. They catch on much faster, work ahead and get bored. I am still the same way in my work. I can fit in 40 hours at work that it took my predecessor to do in 60 hours with an assistant. I have found that the case everywhere I have worked. DS will be a senior next year taking a couple AP classes and he is dual enrolled in a local university. He is an A student (sorry 6Rugrats but a fact is a fact) and I firmly believe the times I took him out of class for a week at a time when he was younger enhanced his education rather damaging it.

To me missing a few days of school does not hurt my kids since they can usually make it up on their own time. This was especially true when they were younger. The internet is wonderful tool in helping kids research their problems. I wish I had it when I was younger. I do not take them out for week long periods now per their request. Not because they are unable to make up the work, but because they are unwilling to make up the work now that they are in high school and more active in sports and dance.

My point in all this is that we are all different with different skills, talents, and educational levels. After all this is the “Great Melting Pot”. In my opinion, making a blanket statement that taking children out of school is compromising their education is wrong. It is an individual decision based on the school, the child and his/her ability and willingness to do the make-up work, and the parents.

Some parents have children who can make up the work on their own with no problem (as I do). Some parents are able to help the child educationally make up the work (as I can) or hire a tutor to do so. These are the parents who are ok taking their children out of school if their school approves (which ours does) and the child is willing (which ours use to be but now are not).

Some children will struggle to make up the work and their parents may be unwilling or unable to help them. These are the parents who should probably think twice about taking their child out of school. In the end it should be left up to the parents. They and the kid’s teachers would know best whether a vacation could be an enhancement to a child’s education or a detriment to it. I definitely don’t agree with you that it is “slippery slope” for “all” kids and that parents are just making “excuses” and trying to “justify” their actions. I am not.

My kids do not expect a "free lunch" in life. When they missed school they were expected to make it up and not drop their grades. If anything that is extra work on them and me...not a "free lunch". I never had a "free lunch" in life. My parents could not afford to send me to college. I got the grades and the jobs to get me through college with an MBA. I was the one who searched for a career and a job that met my "values" for my family and I am the one who does the work of multiple people in 40 hours to keep it. We know the value of hard work. That has absolutely nothing to do with missing a few days of school to spend with the family when that is either the only time you can do it or the only way you can afford it.

Archived