Live Report from the Marina (7/15/11)

What A Market

Hello Everyone

OK, so not really "live" yet because we haven't departed, but I plan on posting live updates from our cruise on the Marina that departs tomorrow (July 15). This cruise takes us around the United Kingdom with a quick shot over to Norway. Some of the ports include: Edinburgh, Invergordon, Alesund (NO), Belfast, Dublin, and Cork. This is only a partial list of the ports. We embark and disembark from Dover, so it's something like flying round trip. :)

So who is "we." We are Tom and Heidi from Scottsdale, Arizona. This is our second Oceania cruise. The first was on the Regatta through the Baltic. We absolutely loved the itinerary and the ship. Last summer we did Azamara's Best of Italy. Again, we couldn't of had a better time. (I posted live reports on that cruise pretty frequently, which actually added to the fun, at least for me.) Defintely hooked on the "R" class ships, so I look forword to casting my vote in Paulchili's poll comparing the Marina to the "R" ships. We have already made a reservation on the new Riviera for next May.

Flying out of Phoenix this evening direct to Heathrow. I've never been in a position (until now) where I had to make flight arrangements that got me to the departing city on the same day of ship's departure. First recommendation to newbie cruisers: Don't do this if you can help it. Too much stress.

Anyway, I look forward to posting as frequently as possible. A BIG thank you to everyone that posts on CC, particularly the Oceania Forum. Your thoughts, musings, occassional rants, and recommendations are invaluable.

Tom (aka What A Market)

Hello Everyone

OK, so not really "live" yet because we haven't departed, but I plan on posting live updates from our cruise on the Marina that departs tomorrow (July 15). This cruise takes us around the United Kingdom with a quick shot over to Norway. Some of the ports include: Edinburgh, Invergordon, Alesund (NO), Belfast, Dublin, and Cork. This is only a partial list of the ports. We embark and disembark from Dover, so it's something like flying round trip. :)

So who is "we." We are Tom and Heidi from Scottsdale, Arizona. This is our second Oceania cruise. The first was on the Regatta through the Baltic. We absolutely loved the itinerary and the ship. Last summer we did Azamara's Best of Italy. Again, we couldn't of had a better time. (I posted live reports on that cruise pretty frequently, which actually added to the fun, at least for me.) Defintely hooked on the "R" class ships, so I look forword to casting my vote in Paulchili's poll comparing the Marina to the "R" ships. We have already made a reservation on the new Riviera for next May.

Flying out of Phoenix this evening direct to Heathrow. I've never been in a position (until now) where I had to make flight arrangements that got me to the departing city on the same day of ship's departure. First recommendation to newbie cruisers: Don't do this if you can help it. Too much stress.

Anyway, I look forward to posting as frequently as possible. A BIG thank you to everyone that posts on CC, particularly the Oceania Forum. Your thoughts, musings, occassional rants, and recommendations are invaluable.

Tom (aka What A Market)

Tom,

Looking forward to your live reports. It's always interesting to hear from first time Marina cruisers what they think of her (especially as she compares to the R ships).

I know you'll love the food.

Have a great cruise!

Paul

Have a great cruise, and look forward to your commentary. We sail on the Marina 8/10 out of Dover. My wife and I live in Tempe, not far you and also will be flying direct to Heathrow from Phoenix, but we gave ourselves a 3 day buffer :).

So, the great trip of 2011 begins for me. I have the pleasure of starting this Cruise Critic posting while sitting in Baristas on the 14th deck of Marina, being tended to by Frederic. At this point, I've consumed two cappuccinos and two espressos for the morning, which for me would be the way I would start every morning if I could. Several previous posters have already described the enjoyment of starting their day in Baristas, gazing out over the pool. Their descriptions were right on the mark – peaceful, at least at 6:30 in the morning, and and beautiful views of the pool area and the seas around us. Baristas is pretty close to a true Italian coffee bar. This is not a Starbucks (thank goodness). Most people seem to be looking for regular coffees or any number of Starbucks type flavored coffee drinks. None of which is available. Frederic is very busy trying to explain that espresso is not really like a normal American cup of coffee and there is nothing he an do to convert espresso into American coffee. Good call on Oceania's part having someone like Frederic working this area of the ship. He is not just a gracious host in Baristas, but also knowledgeable on a a wide variety of topics ranging from travel through technology. Baristas is a great addition to the the amenities on board Marina (did I mention that there is no charge for any of the coffee drinks unless you need a shot of an Italian liqueur added?), and is the first noticeable difference, other than size, when you compare the Marina to Oceania's “R” class ships.

This (Saturday) is the first full day of the cruise. We have a full day at sea to begin this cruise, which is a great way to start the trip after the lengthy and tiring process of getting to ship. As noted previously, Heidi and I were forced to make travel arrangements getting us from Phoenix, Arizona to Dover, England only arriving on the same day as the ship was departing. Also as previously noted, don't make travel arrangements like this. We only arrived 90 minutes prior to the ship's scheduled departure at 8:00PM. Side note: When you arrive this close to departure, boarding is a piece of cake. I think it took all of a couple of minutes to board because we were the only people in the terminal trying to board this late. Also, there was no formality of the normal check-in and boarding process for us. We literally were just handed our security card key and boarded. When we stumbled onto the Marina, I think on Deck 5 right at the foot of the grand staircase, we had our photo taken by the ship's security personnel and that was that. It seemed odd that no one was there to greet us or direct us in any way to to the location of our cabin. No matter. At this point Heidi and I were simply looking to get to our cabin and collapse. We boarded with our carry ons and quickly unpacked, showered, dressed for dinner and headed down to the main dining room on Deck Six. Dinner in The Grand Dining Room was an excellent introduction to what I hope will be a series of extraordinary dinners aboard the Marina.

Time to take a break and cut and paste this into CC.

I am so jealous! I am sitting here at my computer just drooling for a good cup of cappucchino but have to et up and make a pot of regular old American coffee. Tell me, did you find the mini chocolate croissants just around the corner? If you did, would you have one for me please. There has never been such a great croissant anyplace, I don't think. Love those things.

Keep your reports coming when you can. I am sure everyone will be enjoying them.

Bobi

We disembarked on the 15th of July.

The Marina was exceptional. Baristas was utilized every morning at 6:30 AM right after exercising in the gym.

Fred from France is the best Barista even though Italians make the best cappucino.

The gym is a huge improvement over the R ships. The young lady from Serbia that is there early in the mornings is wonderfully pleasant.

I can't imagine why anybody would want to ruin a good espresso trying to make it American.

Am not a coffee drinker, but these decriptions make me want to visit just to watch and listen to Fredric---can do just that on Aug 10th.

They have stools across from the Bar so you can just sit there & listen to the stories (if you can get a seat)

I think all the Barristas must learn that in Barrista school :D

Lyn

Loving this live report! I am getting on the Marina August 26th and your info is so helpful. Enjoy and keep the ship commentary coming!:)

Hi Friscotraveler!

It looks like we are neighbors! We live in Prosper. If you have not been on the Marina before, you are in for a wonderful treat!! We just returned from a cruise on her to the Baltics. Oceania is the BEST!!! :D

Happy Sailing

Am not a coffee drinker, but these decriptions make me want to visit just to watch and listen to Fredric---can do just that on Aug 10th. Thanks for the "live" reports. Pat

I'm no longer a coffee drinker either, but Baristas made me switch back for the two weeks. Wonderful expresso and cappucino and very gracious baristas! Oh, yes, and those wonderful chocolate croissants, as Bobbi mentioned.

You would think I would have more time to write given I had a whole day at sea -- Didn't happen but as the title says, here's another "taste."

OK, I think it posted.. Time for some random thoughts about the Marina. These are not set forth in order of importance. Rather, I'm typing them only as they pop into my head. First, Heidi is not a fan of the hairdryer. (By the way, this issue is first on the list because (a) she was just bitching about it and (b) as you will see from what follows I was the solution, which is great when a husband can say that – Ha!) Her dislike is not due to the dryer's lack of power, but stems from the fact that the damn thing won't stay plugged into its outlet without holding the plug in place. Now for a guy this may not seem like a big deal, but as I now know is wholly unacceptable to the fairer sex. As you probably have guessed by now I saved the day by standing at the outlet and holding the plug in place. Not an ideal solution, but I was happy to help. Enough with that topic, onward to the pool. The pool is amazing. Amazing you ask? Yes, mainly due to its size, being big enough to actually swim laps. Also because it is heated. Maybe to the point of being almost too warm. Chilly, misting and somewhat windy day in the North Sea, so I wasn't complaining. The water is salt of course and heavily chlorinated. Unless you are one to paddle around with your head up, bring swim goggles.

Let's move onto the cabin. We are staying in a penthouse suite. Very, very nice. The room is made to look bigger by using some furniture sized for small children. (OK, that was a cheap shot.) The chairs and table at the foot of the bed are convenient and sized to fit the exact width of the bed (which makes sense), but the publicity shots that Oceania uses in its printed material make the chairs look materially larger. The couch is good sized, but its accompanying chair is definitely petite. The desk and desk chair are of a decent size. One of the nicer features in the room, according to Heidi: the built in vanity (separate from the desk area) with a very large built in lighted mirror that flips down into the cabinet. Smart design work on someone's part. The bathroom is very nicely sized, another noticeble distinction from the “R” class ships. Very large tub for those that like tubs. Sink area, and the sink itself, are good sized (the sink may be unneccessarily large taking up space that counter have been given over to the bathroom counter). The shower?

We only arrived 90 minutes prior to the ship's scheduled departure at 8:00PM. Side note: When you arrive this close to departure, boarding is a piece of cake. I think it took all of a couple of minutes to board because we were the only people in the terminal trying to board this late. Also, there was no formality of the normal check-in and boarding process for us. We literally were just handed our security card key and boarded.

We had a similar experience boarding late for the March 2009 TA on Regatta (Miami-Barcelona). I had discovered that I couldn't find my passport on Saturday morning and we were due to fly down to Miami at 7:30am on Monday morning. Not much time to do anything especially when the Passport Bureau does NOT work on weekends.

So I got all the paperwork done via the internet, a friend picked us up at the Miami airport and drove us to the Passport Bureau (which fortunately is very close to the seaport). I could have made an appointment by telephone but the first one available was for the following Thursday, so we just showed up.

We weren't the only ones!

Got my passport by 4:30pm (I would have had it sooner but there was an unforeseen glitch -- I was there waiting to pickup my passport but they didn't know I was there!), and our TA was on the phone with Oceania saying "don't sail without them".

We got to the ship at 5pm (we were supposed to sail at 6pm but departure was delayed while they loaded stores for the cruise which was a good idea, we thought, since the first port of call was about 8 days out). We had no problem boarding at that hour either. We saw another couple, just one. They'd been caught by a snowstorm in Massachusetts which delayed their flight down to Miami. So both of us just got there in the nick of time.

I don't think back then they had the two-hour rule they now have. How did you get around that one??

Arriving just in time is a great way to start a cruise ... NOT!

Looking forward to your further reports.

Mura

The spa is unbelievable. Love those heated tile chaises in a quiet space beyond the saunas. The sauna is huge and the cave-like shower has separate settings for diagonal or "rain" shower--that's where I went every late afternoon/early evening before dinner, since the shower in the room is too small.

You would think I would have more time to write given I had a whole day at sea -- Didn't happen but as the title says, here's another "taste."

First, Heidi is not a fan of the hairdryer. (By the way, this issue is first on the list because (a) she was just bitching about it and (b) as you will see from what follows I was the solution, which is great when a husband can say that – Ha!) Her dislike is not due to the dryer's lack of power, but stems from the fact that the damn thing won't stay plugged into its outlet without holding the plug in place. Now for a guy this may not seem like a big deal, but as I now know is wholly unacceptable to the fairer sex. As you probably have guessed by now I saved the day by standing at the outlet and holding the plug in place. Not an ideal solution, but I was happy to help.

What A Market - OMG! I LOVE comment (a). Mostly because I am the "fairer sex" who would, indeed, by bitching about the inconvenience. And, I am as lucky as Heidi, because my husband would also stand there holding the plug in without even me asking him to do so. Good for you! I am a lucky woman...

The pool sounds heavenly! Thanks for your posts.

We board the day you disembark...

Did you know that you could just separate the two prongs on the hair dryer, making them a bit wider. Then they would stay in the outlet and you wouldn't have to stand there. Although, that was mighty nice of you to volunteer to stand and hold the plug. I applaud that.

Glad you are enjoying your time so far on the ship. Just wait until you sample all of the various restaurants. Then you will really have something to write about!!

Keep the reports coming. Love to hear how others are doing on their cruises.

Bobi

So, the great trip of 2011 begins for me. I have the pleasure of starting this Cruise Critic posting while sitting in Baristas on the 14th deck of Marina, being tended to by Frederic. At this point, I've consumed two cappuccinos and two espressos for the morning, which for me would be the way I would start every morning if I could.

You must have a wonderful bladder to hold that much coffee. In any case, your report so far sounds wonderful. Please keep us posted.

The Marina is presently speeding into the Firth of Forth to land a sick passenger that is requiring medical treatment. The passenger a 67 year old American, has been stablised and is shortly to be evacuated by Military Helicopter, Rescue 131, from the vessel to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary for further treatment.

The vessel contacted Forth Coastguard at 0320bst this morning to advise them of the situation who have now arrange facilities to ensure the safety of the passenger.

The helicopter is due to arrive in 12 mins time...

ongoing:cool:

The Helicopter Rescue 131 has now evacuated the casualty from the Marina and is now heading towards Edinburgh Royal Infirmary were he will receive further medical treatment.

I hope that he makes a full recovery and will keep you advised on his condition later

:cool:

Archived