Live Report from the Marina (7/15/11)

What A Market

The Helicopter Rescue 131 has now evacuated the casualty from the Marina and is now heading towards Edinburgh Royal Infirmary were he will receive further medical treatment.

I hope that he makes a full recovery and will keep you advised on his condition later

:cool:

Thank you and I'll keep him in my prayers.

We are from Melbourne Australia and have the BEST coffee in the whole world due to our Italian immigrants. Anyone who goes away can't wait to get back for the coffee! So it is good to know the Baristas on Marina is so good. Going Sept 19th.

anne.

Looking forward to more updates from the Marina. Have you enjoyed your first sea day and is the sun shining in Edinburgh? Hope the seas are OK and that its not too windy.

Have you heard how the patient is?

We are on the same cruise with Tom and I have to agree to everything he said -but not that one about the hairdryer (hi Tom! ;-) )

Marina is a great ship with wonderful passengers. The food is outstanding, yesterday we went to Red Ginger and it was marvelous.We were "forced" to have every desert on their menu....

Thanks Davey.... for the information about the helicopter.We woke up at five to the noise and were concerned because it was so unusual. Hope he will get well soon and even might join us onboard.

Cheers,

Ulrike

sent with tapatalk

Thank you for letting me enjoy your cruise. We aren't sailing until next June on Riviera, so I am going to look forward to reading your posts.

Why don't you ask your butler to replace the hair dryer. Maybe it is just that particular dryer that won't stay plugged in.

Thanks for sharing your trip!!!

Sorry for a couple of things here: typos and incorrect word usuge, not reading anyone's posts to my thread. I'm being somewhat of a cheap bastard here as I don't want to use up expense internet time on Oceania's link. Also for the odd breaks in my posts.

Ah yes, the shower.. The Oceania forum has been inundated with comments on the shower. For me the shower is amusing. The rain head fixture puts out water pressure something akin to the weather as we arrive in Edinburgh on this early Sunday morning -- misting. The separate hand held shower wand does generate a little more pressure and is adequate for rinsing your hair provided you are challenged in the follicle area. Heidi will not be so amused when she washes her hair for the the first time. On to the closet. For a trip of two weeks or more, having a real walk-in closet is a real plus. Both Heidi and I can actually stand in it at the same time and move around. Lots and lots of drawer space both in the cabin and in the room. I've seen some people on the Oceania Forum make some pointed comments about the size (and the shape) of the two drawers in the bathroom. Yep, oddly small, but I'm sure the people tasked with designing these cabins poured over that issue originally and did all they could do. Maybe they will come up with a twist on the Riviera. Presumably no detail is too small addressed many times over. Last comment, for now, on the cabin – I hope you like the color sea foam green. Soothing, but theirs lots of it.

Now back to the trip. So as I noted, if this is Sunday it must be Edinburgh. The morning began as I can see every morning beginning – in Baristas with Frederic. I limit myself to only two cappuccinos. Frederic seems concerned regarding my lack of indulgence. The reason – Heidi and I are partaking in room service for breakfast where a pot of coffee awaits. The coffee is actually decent. Slight detour in this travelogue as I head back in time to last night's dinner. Dined again in The Grand Dining Room. A couple of comments here. Heidi has Celiac Disease, meaning amongst other things she can't consume gluten. My travel agent forewarned Oceania of Heidi's condition early on and noted the ship would be all over this. I also knew from reading this Forum that this would be the case. Everyone was accurate in their statements on this issue. The ship's dining staff reached out to Heidi immediately upon boarding. Also, on our first night in the GDR (by the way, I can't type so abbreviations are going to be more common if I think it will make sense to the reader) one of the maitre de's introduced herself to Heidi as soon as we made it to our table. (Her name is Cathy. Actually Cathy may not be a maitre de, rather I think she may be a supervisor in the GDR. Not sure of the exact distinction.). She indicated that a menu would be delivered to Heidi the prior evening from the GDR or the specialty restaurants when reserved. Heidi can select anything from the menu and the chefs will adjust the dish to eliminate all gluten. We need to return the menu selections by 10:00AM the next morning to the GDR.

What a market,

Thanks for the detailed reviews. One more thing I loved about the closet in the PH was the shoe rack. This was the only closet including Seabourn and Silversea where shoes were not all over the floor.

Tom,

Thank you for all your updates. It is always interesting to read others' first reactions and impressions of the Marina.

Caveat - do not forget that you are fortunate to be staying in a PH. Those are very nice indeed (larger shower, walk-in closet, lots of storage space, extra perks, etc). Unfortunately, most passengers (myself included) usually travel below PH level and the room experiences will be quite different (though the overall Marina experience will be the same for everyone).

Cheers!

Is daveyjonesrugrat (sp) on the cruise with us? yes, someone was winched off at approx 4:00AM this morning. all the news at baristas this morning, at least if you were on the port side of the ship. thank goodness for a cabin on the starboard side. i am posting from the computer lab -- LIVE. so forgive gross typos. dinner at jacques this evening. i would say very good. still, it is interesting that the dining staff still seems a bit harried. (you will see this comment from the GDR in my next non-live post.) highlights: two bottles of an excellent bourdeaux. that's why i am posting in the computer lab -- polluted. (but in a good way. ha!) other highlights: escargot, but temp a little low. casselot (sp). very rich. heidi's pumpkin soup was very good, but again temp was a little off. my onion soup was very good, not salty which sometimes (many times) can be the case with onion soup. crouton on top was not toasted completely, if at all, so became immediately soggy. i read thru everyone's comments. as always with CC, right on point. i'll continue posting, but signing off now. i could stay on all night blathering away because of the wine. but oh those damn internet minutes. btw, computer lab MUCH faster than link in room.

The GDR is certainly grand. The staff does a good job handling the size of the room, but the sheer size is a detriment to the overall quality of the service. The staff is literally running from station to station. I marvel at their professionalism given their constant stress. Even being seated was interesting. I asked to be seated with the same waiter (Marco – excellent service, by the way) and also so we could have the same sommillier (Michel – probably misspelled. From Serbia, so his real name isn't Michel anyway. Again excellent service. Recommended a very reasonably priced Tempranillo when I mentioned that I was interested in Spanish wines.). Anyway, my request was quickly and surprisingly rebuffed as if my input on the matter was not warranted. Stupid me though for acting like a cow amongst the cattle and standing there with my mouth open. Anyway, it was 7:30PM, the height of the dinner rush. But here's the thing. I told the young lady at the stand where you check in for dinner that Heidi was on a special diet and that we had been instructed to request the same section in the dining room. Whoosh. That was the sound my words made as they rushed by her head. Nothing registered. As I said, stupid me for rolling over. I noted that we were open to sharing a table. Not surprisingly, this registered. She indicated that she had a table of four available. A member of the dining staff proceeds to take us to our designated table. After a “tour” of most of the room he comes up short immediately looking distressed. Obviously the table of four he has been directed to is not where he thinks it is or where it should be. Nevertheless, we are standing in the immediate proximity for a table of six. We look at each other. Recognition of the situation we are faced with being instantaneous. The question is obvious, so I say “yes, this will be fine.” We are the first seated. A couple of minutes go by. Guess what? Another waiter with another couple comes up short in front of our table. I tell the couple that despite where they thought they were going, they were nevertheless at their designated destination. Enough on that topic.

But here's the thing. I told the young lady at the stand where you check in for dinner that Heidi was on a special diet and that we had been instructed to request the same section in the dining room.

Just a note if you do read the posts

You do NOT need to sit in the same section for your wife to get her special meal...just tell the waiter she has a special meal & the cabin number.... your wife's meal will appear at any table you are seated at

TIP

If you want the same section go early or later.

In the height of the dinner rush sections fill quickly& they cannot always accommodate special table requests

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

The GDR had its problems in early June. Our standing joke was that the overcooked fish was like bacon and the bacon came out like fish. It would take three orders to get the bacon made crispy and the fish not overcooked...

I personally think the GDR on the Marina, lovely as it is, is too large and too impersonal. The size affects the service and food quality. Of my 19 days aboard I think I only ate there four or five times and that was plenty.

The GDR had its problems in early June. Our standing joke was that the overcooked fish was like bacon and the bacon came out like fish. It would take three orders to get the bacon made crispy and the fish not overcooked...

After a couple of tries in the MDR, this and several other issues (slow service, etc) made us choose Terrace Cafe over MDR any night we did not have a specialty restaurant reservation.

This seems to be going on despite the excellent supervision of Boris, who oversees the MDR (maybe he is just too nice).

I concur with wripro.

YMMV

I personally think the GDR on the Marina, lovely as it is, is too large and too impersonal. The size affects the service and food quality. Of my 19 days aboard I think I only ate there four or five times and that was plenty.

and I think that is a little sad!! We didn't eat there hardly at all..and we were on the 19 day with you as well....I think that breakfast and lunch were ok...but dinner was just too long and not that great!! so we ate breakfast there (we like to spend some time having a long breakfast...on a TA.... doable)...and then lunch sometimes as well...but dinner...we just didn't do it...we liked the "buffet" so much more...time to have a great dinner and great food...without the long wait!!! LuAnn

The GDR is certainly grand. The staff does a good job handling the size of the room, but the sheer size is a detriment to the overall quality of the service. The staff is literally running from station to station. I marvel at their professionalism given their constant stress. Even being seated was interesting. I asked to be seated with the same waiter (Marco – excellent service, by the way) and also so we could have the same sommillier (Michel – probably misspelled. From Serbia, so his real name isn't Michel anyway. Again excellent service. Recommended a very reasonably priced Tempranillo when I mentioned that I was interested in Spanish wines.). Anyway, my request was quickly and surprisingly rebuffed as if my input on the matter was not warranted. Stupid me though for acting like a cow amongst the cattle and standing there with my mouth open. Anyway, it was 7:30PM, the height of the dinner rush. But here's the thing. I told the young lady at the stand where you check in for dinner that Heidi was on a special diet and that we had been instructed to request the same section in the dining room. Whoosh. That was the sound my words made as they rushed by her head. Nothing registered. As I said, stupid me for rolling over. I noted that we were open to sharing a table. Not surprisingly, this registered. She indicated that she had a table of four available. A member of the dining staff proceeds to take us to our designated table. After a “tour” of most of the room he comes up short immediately looking distressed. Obviously the table of four he has been directed to is not where he thinks it is or where it should be. Nevertheless, we are standing in the immediate proximity for a table of six. We look at each other. Recognition of the situation we are faced with being instantaneous. The question is obvious, so I say “yes, this will be fine.” We are the first seated. A couple of minutes go by. Guess what? Another waiter with another couple comes up short in front of our table. I tell the couple that despite where they thought they were going, they were nevertheless at their designated destination. Enough on that topic.

Well none of that sounds inviting or welcoming...we will be on our first Oceania cruise on Insignia beginning July 25 and I surely hope we have a smoother situation than you have encountered.

Well none of that sounds inviting or welcoming...we will be on our first Oceania cruise on Insignia beginning July 25 and I surely hope we have a smoother situation than you have encountered.

I believe you will.

The R ships (like the Insignia) are very different from Marina (some for the better, some for the worse).

The MDR is much smaller and runs smoother; the Terrace Cafe, OTOH, has a much more limited selection of foods than the Marina does.

The overall cruising experience is quite different on the R ships from Marina, IMO (see the Marina vs R ships poll thread).

Everyone has their favorites :D

Prior to dinner that evening we had two events to attend. The first was the was the Cruise Critic Meet and Greet. Shout out to Billie for organizing. She provided everyone with name tags and a print out of everyone on our Roll Call. The M&G was held in lounge area immediately across from the “purple” bar. (Forgive me for not knowing the names of these areas yet.) BTW, the purple bar is a trip. And yes, for those of you who came of age in the 60's and 70's, I mean that kind of trip. Ha! We had just over 100 people for our M&G. The ship provided staff for handling drink orders from the bar. The function began at 4:00PM so most were not indulging in cocktails at this point. Silly people. :) From reading the Oceania Forum, I thought two things were going to take place at the M&G: (1) the ship would kick-in for a champagne toast for the group and (2) senior ship's staff would attend for at least a quick introduction. Neither happened. I may be confusing Oceania's protocol for these functions with Azamara's. Anyway, it was it was well attended and fun to meet the people that participated in our Roll Call.

The second event of the evening was the Captain's Cocktail Celebration. (O's term for the event.) At this event the alcohol was flowing freely. There was a choice of red and white wines, champagne, and a few different types of cocktails. Given the size of the Marina, this reception was held simultaneously in all the bars. The dining staff was on hand to pass canapes, which were varied and of a good quality. We were introduced to the Captain as he was being dragged around by the ship's social hostess. The Captain's name is Luca Manzi. Italian, polite as well as engaging. He was very generous with his time, although it was clear the social hostess was charged with introducing him to all 1200 guests. I believe he is only going to be on the ship for a few weeks???? Most every passenger was dressed in their dinner attire, meaning they were well dressed in their view of country club casual. I am all in favor of allowing a wide range of tolerance as to the meaning of country club casual. For me, it means occasionally wearing a sport coat. For this event it seemed only natural to put one on (since I packed one, actually packed two). But here is the deal, at least for me: this event seems like an invite to the Captain's “home.” He is wearing his full dress uniform. So are the other officers. Why would you wear shorts, t-shirt and sandals to an event like this? Kind of insulting to your host.

Archived