Tamarind for a picky eater?

Megsie1000

We are thinking about making reservations for the adults in our group for dinner at Tamarind one night on the Eurodam. The problem is that my Dad is a picky eater. The rest of us will enjoy it for sure, but he is more of a meat and potatoes sort of guy. He doesn't like onions or garlic. :rolleyes:

Are we crazy to try and drag him into Tamarind? Will he hate it? Will the kitchen staff hate us if we start asking them to prepare his dishes without the spices? I was eyeing the lamb on the menu because he LOVES lamb and mint, but I wonder if they would prepare it without the garlic for him.

I know the lack of spices would sort of defeat the purpose :) but the rest of us are dying to try it. I start drooling when I read the menu. LOL

Another quick question about Tamarind - would it be appropriate to take kids in there for lunch if we wanted to try the Dim Sum? Anybody take their kids in there for lunch and did they like it? I would love to skip the Lido one day on a sea day and try that instead.

I have major stomach problems -- in all the restaurants on the ships (amd on land) -- I ask for no sauces and no spices.

The Tamarind was very accommadating every time I ate there no matter what I ordered.

Some children don't mind Dim Sum for lunch -- but if your children have never had it -- this would not be the place for them to try it. There are no other choices.

Some children don't mind Dim Sum for lunch -- but if your children have never had it -- this would not be the place for them to try it. There are no other choices.

I would have thought it is an ideal place to try dim sum! There is no extra charge and if they don't like it then they can still go to Lido or get room service. Also the kids will experience the wonderful service in Tamarind.

One time when we were having lunch in the Tamarind -- there was a family there.

The children didn't like anything there and started to whine and fuss and wanting to go get something else to eat and the parents ignored them while they ate. After a while the 3 children got up and starting running around the restaurant -- parents ignored them.

I would have thought it is an ideal place to try dim sum! There is no extra charge and if they don't like it then they can still go to Lido or get room service. Also the kids will experience the wonderful service in Tamarind.

I have had only one lunch experience at Tamarind and it was a very long lunch (I know, elsewhere I have said I enjoyed leisurely dinners, but over and hour and a half for dim sum was too much!). If that is the norm then kids may be bored, especially if they don't like the food.

Thanks for the tips on the lunch. I think we'll skip it if it is going to be a long meal. My kids are used to eating in restaurants, they are fairly adventurous (except the 3-year old) and are generally well-behaved, but I don't think they'll want to spend the time through a long meal, nor do I want to worry about trying to entertain them. They specifically requested to be let "out" of the dining room dinners this time (they spent every dinner last time wondering when they could go to Club HAL :)) so we said "yes" and we are doing dinner each night adults-only while they have fun. Win-win for us all. They get to eat early and go to Club HAL. We get to eat later (which we prefer) and have some peace & adult conversation.

I don't think "Boompa" would be too happy if we made him eat in the Lido with the kids, though. ;) The evening meal is his favorite part of the cruise ... or at least one of them. I'll tell him that the chefs will be accommodating and let him decide if he wants to go to Tamarind. If not, he and my Mom can eat in the dining room while hubby and I enjoy Tamarind. I can't wait.

Don't miss the Tamarind because of someone else - you may find it one of the highlights of your cruise. Glad to hear you have a backup plan.

My lunch experience was not lengthy - I went twice during my cruise because it was so good. If your kids are unruly and/or picky eaters do everyone a favor and don't take them to lunch. If they are old enough to be on their own for dinner, they should be old enough to try the wonderful dim sum lunch and to simply excuse themselves if they really don't like it (and head to the Lido or the grill or pizza.....)

Definitely go to the Tamarind:) Our first visit, they explained that you could have your food less spicy, without spices, whatever.

Very, very accomodating and this nervous nilly (afraid the food would be too hot) really enjoyed her meal as well as everyone else at the table.

A really great spot and the food was tremendous:)

I have had only one lunch experience at Tamarind and it was a very long lunch (I know, elsewhere I have said I enjoyed leisurely dinners, but over and hour and a half for dim sum was too much!). If that is the norm then kids may be bored, especially if they don't like the food.

Our Tamarind lunches were also long.

Don't miss the Tamarind because of someone else - you may find it one of the highlights of your cruise. Glad to hear you have a backup plan.

My lunch experience was not lengthy - I went twice during my cruise because it was so good. If your kids are unruly and/or picky eaters do everyone a favor and don't take them to lunch. If they are old enough to be on their own for dinner, they should be old enough to try the wonderful dim sum lunch and to simply excuse themselves if they really don't like it (and head to the Lido or the grill or pizza.....)

We have gone a couple of times for lunch at the Tamarind -- long -- the place was so backed and the chefs couldn't keep up. And they even skimped on some of the Dim Sum - didn't get everything that we were supposed to have gotten.

Thanks for the tips on the lunch. I think we'll skip it if it is going to be a long meal. My kids are used to eating in restaurants, they are fairly adventurous (except the 3-year old) and are generally well-behaved, but I don't think they'll want to spend the time through a long meal, nor do I want to worry about trying to entertain them. They specifically requested to be let "out" of the dining room dinners this time (they spent every dinner last time wondering when they could go to Club HAL :)) so we said "yes" and we are doing dinner each night adults-only while they have fun. Win-win for us all. They get to eat early and go to Club HAL. We get to eat later (which we prefer) and have some peace & adult conversation.

I don't think "Boompa" would be too happy if we made him eat in the Lido with the kids, though. ;) The evening meal is his favorite part of the cruise ... or at least one of them. I'll tell him that the chefs will be accommodating and let him decide if he wants to go to Tamarind. If not, he and my Mom can eat in the dining room while hubby and I enjoy Tamarind. I can't wait.

Sounds like you are working out all the details to please everyone.

Enjoy!!

If they are old enough to be on their own for dinner, they should be old enough to try the wonderful dim sum lunch and to simply excuse themselves if they really don't like it (and head to the Lido or the grill or pizza.....)

They're not old enough for that yet. We have open seating, so our plan is to go with them to the Lido around 6:00-6:30 so they can eat dinner, drop them off at Club HAL at 7 and then go to dinner.

Megsie, at lunch today with my husband he asked if I had read this thread and had posted. Yes my DH is a closet CC reader. Just reads frequently but leaves the posting to me. Anyway we absolutely love the Tamarind and Yes he is the very picky eater. No sauces, a very plain meat and potato eater. But he loves the Tamarind. Yes he has humored me on several occaisions in trying something on a ship knowing that if he had to he could order room service or go to the Lido later :D He gets the Steak without the Wasabi, he eats the rice. There is something else he likes there too which I do not remember right now but he also has a few desserts he likes. One is the Fortune Cookie :)

I agree Tamarind is a wonderful experience and we've enjoyed it a number of times.

I thank Megsie 1000 who will bring the children to Lido for dinner. Most young children really won't do well at Tamarind. It's a relaxing, dining experience with foods most children would not necessarily be wildly excited with. (yes, of course, there are a few exceptions). I view it as more of an adult dining experience. JMO.......

We'd be disappointed to be on a ship with a Tamarind and not enjoy it at least once per cruise.

It will be listed in the daily program.

I realize that, but I was planning on perhaps making a few lunch reservations when we board next week and I was hoping knowing the hours ahead of time would help me with my "pre-planning". :)

I was definitely not planning on bringing the kids into Tamarind for dinner. I did consider lunch for them, but I'm not sure that is our best option.

I plan to enjoy dinner at Tamarind to the fullest. I adore my kids, but as the rest of you parents know, you don't always get to enjoy your food when eating with them. :o

I honestly don't know how my youngest will do in Club HAL since this will be his first time in there. He was only 2 on our last cruise and did well in the dining room. But if he is anything like his sisters, he will prefer to be playing in Club HAL at that hour. Like I said, win-win for us all if it works out! If he isn't wanting to be away from us for dinner, I'll have to reevaluate whether we go to Tamarind at all. But I am thinking he'll love the club activities.

Megsie, at lunch today with my husband he asked if I had read this thread and had posted. Yes my DH is a closet CC reader. Just reads frequently but leaves the posting to me. Anyway we absolutely love the Tamarind and Yes he is the very picky eater. No sauces, a very plain meat and potato eater. But he loves the Tamarind. Yes he has humored me on several occaisions in trying something on a ship knowing that if he had to he could order room service or go to the Lido later :D He gets the Steak without the Wasabi, he eats the rice. There is something else he likes there too which I do not remember right now but he also has a few desserts he likes. One is the Fortune Cookie :)

That is like my mother (the closet reader of CC who never actually posts). :p

I will point this post out to my Dad and hopefully it will help convince him. He does like both rice and steak. He also likes fried and coconut shrimp, so I think there are some options there for him!

DW and I dined in the Tamarind on the Nieuw Amsterdam in March. We were expecting an experience with new flavors that we had never tasted before and were not disappointed one bit. The food was tasty and unique, giving us a dining experience like we had never had before. If one is expecting meat and potatoes or wants to dictate to the kitchen how to prepare their meal, I'd say they're in the wrong restaurant and to head to the Lido. You go to Tamarind to eat food that you've never had before and may not have a chance on land again to eat.

DW and I dined in the Tamarind on the Nieuw Amsterdam in March. We were expecting an experience with new flavors that we had never tasted before and were not disappointed one bit. The food was tasty and unique, giving us a dining experience like we had never had before. If one is expecting meat and potatoes or wants to dictate to the kitchen how to prepare their meal, I'd say they're in the wrong restaurant and to head to the Lido. You go to Tamarind to eat food that you've never had before and may not have a chance on land again to eat.

Of course I agree with you, but my father is 88 and not likely to change his mind at this point. He knows he is curmugeonly and everybody else will have to deal. ;-)

We indulge him because who knows how many more trips we will be able to take with him. I am sure my Mom will dine with him in the MDR if he decides not to join us in Tamarind.

• 3 weeks later...

My SIL is a picky eater and liked the Tamarind so well she insisted on going back a second time! Her choice: steak without the wasabi crust and the tempura shrimp appetizer (I think she ordered two of those and skipped the salad/soup/whatever the other starter category is!). I'm sure your Dad will enjoy it.

My SIL is a picky eater and liked the Tamarind so well she insisted on going back a second time! Her choice: steak without the wasabi crust and the tempura shrimp appetizer (I think she ordered two of those and skipped the salad/soup/whatever the other starter category is!). I'm sure your Dad will enjoy it.

If I was a betting woman, I would bet that is exactly what he'll order! :D Glad to hear your SIL enjoyed it.

Archived