Voice from the Bridge

SilvertoGold

We noticed on the Zaandam, June 26 to July 10, that there were no Voice from the Bridge noontime announcements from the Captain.

We always enjoyed these announcements: they always contain some interesting and unpublished news about the weather, winds, changes in arrival times for the next day, some maritime trivia, etc.

This was the first cruise ever on HAL where this was not done at all. In March/April on the same ship the Captain was on every sea day but one over 28 day cruise.

Is this one more cutback or discontinued tradition?

Any insights or experiences?

Thanks

We had the daily annoucements from the bridge on the Ryndam in December. It could just be the Captain you happened to have.

That's what I thought, but we have cruised HAL a lot, with a lot of Captains, and this never happeded before! Hope this is a one-time thing.

We noticed on the Zaandam, June 26 to July 10, that there were no Voice from the Bridge noontime announcements from the Captain.

We always enjoyed these announcements: they always contain some interesting and unpublished news about the weather, winds, changes in arrival times for the next day, some maritime trivia, etc.

This was the first cruise ever on HAL where this was not done at all. In March/April on the same ship the Captain was on every sea day but one over 28 day cruise.

Is this one more cutback or discontinued tradition?

Any insights or experiences?

Thanks

Oh My Gosh I hope not :eek: Seriously I know this is something they would not cut out but while they call it the Noon time report it is actually done usually a few minutes before 1:00PM Are you sure you just did not miss it or was expecting it at 12 Noon and when it did not occur you did not listen for it at close to 1 pm. I know on our Alaska cruise i missed it several times due to doing things. Plus if you were in your cabin at the time you may not have heard it unless you had you television on the the channel where they have the announcements.

It really depends on the captain.

And the Captain's talk is at 1 PM or around that time -- not noon.

On our last several cruises we have only had the 1 PM talk on Sea Days.

Never have we had a talk from the captain at 1 PM on a port -- unless there was an emergency.

What I really miss is the talk from the captain as we are preparing to leave one port and head to another. He would talk about what our course would be -- our spreed -- the next days weather -- etc. We haven't had this on any ship for a couple of years.

What I really miss is the talk from the captain as we are preparing to leave one port and head to another. He would talk about what our course would be -- our spreed -- the next days weather -- etc. We haven't had this on any ship for a couple of years.

KK that really surprises me because Captain PJ did this on our Westerdam cruise in May as well as I remember a few times Captain Mercer doing it on the Nieuw Amsterdam this past March.

We love the Captain's Voice from the Bridge every day.

I don't recall ever being on a cruise when we didn't hear it.

I get annoyed if we're in Lido and people keep talking when Captain is speaking. I wish they'd quiet down so those of us who want to listen can hear. :rolleyes:

A bad case of laryngitis, perhaps?

I know there was a report from the bridge every day I was around to hear it on my recent cruise. It was immediately followed by the CD listing off the afternoon activities. That's also a standard part of the announcement.

We've heard the Captain's "noon" report anywhere from 12:15 to 1pm.

Like KK, we really enjoy the report some Captains make upon departure. That was the best, but not done very often.

If the noonish report is at the Captain's discretion, we've been very fortunate over the years to have Captains who choose to do it.

Glad to hear that this is not being phased out!

On Every cruise I have been on--I have been cruising on HAL since November, 1996--on Sea Days there is ALWAYS a report from the Captain and since I am on a cruise right now, I have heard these reports on the current cruise and expect on tomorrow and Wednesday.

Himself, as Sea on the beatiful and elegant m.s. AMSTERDAM

We enjoy those reports also. They were interesting.

On our last cruise we didn't hear alot from the captain and we noticed the CD did many of the few announcements. Sometimes they were even in the late morning. We joked that captain was busy or shy.......

I was trying to record them so I could add them to our video with pictures in the background.

We always like to hear the Voice from the Bridge.

On our last cruise, Captain Visser was often lunching in the Lido at the same time as us, so as soon as he departed we would return to our cabin to listen to his report.

I'll bet it is the same Captain on the Zaandam that barely says anything to senior Mariners and tries to stay as far away from passengers as possible. Too bad. Wonder who he thinks is paying his salary???

Jan Smit was the Captain.

We had him about 4 years ago and he was quite different, much more involved and did do the Voice from the Bridge. We thought he was quite professional and were not unhappy to find he would be on board for this latest cruise.

He does SEEM to want to stay away from all pax, even (especially??) senior Mariners. I believe he was near the end of his contract and possibly burned out.

One thing I give him full marks for was his excellent scenic cruising routes through Grenfell Passage, the best we have done in many Alaska cruises. And his stay at Margarie Glacier in Glacier bay was superb: very close, a long interval there, with both sides of the ship exposed to the glacier side. College Fjord on the northbound was a treat, too, with this Captain, not just a drive-by like some.

We have sailed with Captain Bos twice. Both times he was very informative and held regular updates that were quite interesting. His messages seemed to convey HE was quite interested and enjoying the scenery, and had the feel he was personally taking us to some of his favorite sites ( really playing host).

We have sailed with Captain Bos twice. Both times he was very informative and held regular updates that were quite interesting. His messages seemed to convey HE was quite interested and enjoying the scenery, and had the feel he was personally taking us to some of his favorite sites ( really playing host).

I agree about Captain Bos!

Also, Captain Visser would come on the intercom and point out whales, areas where there were seals and sea lions. When he wasn't on the bridge, he made sure the officer of the watch did so, too. First rate captain and, as you say, host.

Captain van Schoonhoven was totally first rate, as well, one who took his passengers very seriously.

It always amazes me how loose the requirements are for officers. No real consistency, leading one to think that HAL doesn't have much of a plan for how much/little Captains participate on the passenger side. Sometimes I think it would be smarter for HAL to keep the Captains completely out of the passenger hosting and have the CD and HM do it all. Some Captains might be relieved.

I don't think I heard the captain once. I was up set to hear people talking about all the whales they saw from the Amsterdam on the same cruise I was on. I guess I was on the wrong side of ship because I only saw one and it was very far away.I spent most of my time out on deck on sea days. I would have loved to see important things

Mary

KK that really surprises me because Captain PJ did this on our Westerdam cruise in May as well as I remember a few times Captain Mercer doing it on the Nieuw Amsterdam this past March.

We too, have heard this on our last few cruises.

Mercer and Harris seem to enjoy keeping the passengers updated.

<snip>

It always amazes me how loose the requirements are for officers. No real consistency, leading one to think that HAL doesn't have much of a plan for how much/little Captains participate on the passenger side. Sometimes I think it would be smarter for HAL to keep the Captains completely out of the passenger hosting and have the CD and HM do it all. Some Captains might be relieved.

No, no, no....... I really like the diversity among all the Captains. Some are more social, some are more reserved, some speak with enthusiasm on the intercom and some give minimal info. I would never want for HAL to encourage less interaction with Captain and guests.

We've met and enjoyed so many through the years and never once found one we didn't respect and enjoy in one way or another.

It really depends on the captain.

And the Captain's talk is at 1 PM or around that time -- not noon.

Thanks for that........the OP's watch was probably running late.

Nope, my watch was just fine. Having been on a lot of HAL cruise, short, medium and long, I have found the timing of the lunchtime talk varies greatly. As I have noted, anywhere from 12:15 to 1 pm.

YMMV as it obviously does!

Nope, my watch was just fine. Having been on a lot of HAL cruise, short, medium and long, I have found the timing of the lunchtime talk varies greatly. As I have noted, anywhere from 12:15 to 1 pm.

YMMV as it obviously does!

Agreed-The few we had on our last cruise even turned up closer to 11:00a- I was in the gym taking a class!

Back to Captain Bos: both times he offered a bottle of wine to the first person to spot and report a bear in glacier bay. He also took us around Composite island.

Archived