Bistro on 5

Xtchr

Our (then) 5 year old son fell in love with the Italian crepe (banana and nutella), and started asking every morning if we could go to the Bistro on 5 for brunch. We were on a 2 week long cruise on the Eclipse, and I think we must have eaten there 5 times. It was definitely our favorite place to go on the days we slept in late, but didn't want to wait for the main dining room to open for lunch. It was worth the $15 dollars for us ($5 per person) to go often. I think our son would have gladly eaten every meal there. It was never crowded or noisy, we were often one of only two or three tables dining when we ate.

Here's a copy of the menu from the excellent preismans.com website:

Sol_IMG_3080%20Bistro%20red600.jpg

If it's not on the menu and you ask one of the staff they'll do their best to make it up from the ingredients they have. If you are full after main course they'll also do you a "small" crepe for afters.

Phil

Phil - Bistro on 5 sounds really good right about now. How about we meet there for lunch and then head to a nice table in the aft for a game of cards?:cool:

My gosh, all of you just about made me call and try to get the first cruise I could get, I am almost foaming at the mouth. haha They all sound so good and our cruise isn't until Feb. They do have the Bistro on the Constellation, right?

Phil - Bistro on 5 sounds really good right about now. How about we meet there for lunch and then head to a nice table in the aft for a game of cards?:cool:

Hi Larry:), I goofed..thought the menu was on your reply....LOL hope you and Susie are doing well:)

Here's a copy of the menu from the excellent preismans.com website:

Sol_IMG_3080%20Bistro%20red600.jpg

If it's not on the menu and you ask one of the staff they'll do their best to make it up from the ingredients they have. If you are full after main course they'll also do you a "small" crepe for afters.

Phil

Hi Phil:) I forgot how much I love this menu. There was a poster

asking about vegetarian dishes in here and in Qsine. I hope they

find this thread so they can see what is offered:)

It's our embarkation day lunch tradition as well. While everyone else is up at the buffet in a literal food frenzy we're sitting by the window sipping some tea and having a relaxing cup of soup, splitting a crepe and a panini and maybe having a couple bites of something sweet. Love it!

The OP mentioned not a lot of seats - well it never seems to be full and you're right, it's not that large, but we've never had to wait. We eat there a couple times on a cruise.

Best place to start the cruise...we always have lunch there on embarkation day...no crowds. A calm, quiet, excellent meal....totally worth $5.:)

Shhh, let's keep that a secret.;):D

Honestly to the OP, it's well worth the cover charge and extra tip if you are so inclined.

To the poster that asked about hazelnut crepes.... nutella IS a hazelnut/chocolate spread.

I was aware of that. But in France they had hazelnut without the chocolate, it seemed like crushed nuts made into a sauce with perhaps cream and sugar? (I'm guessing a bit here - as I said, I never actually had it). It was more sauce-like than spread like and definitely no chocolate. I'm actually thinking it might be more like the dulce de leche?

Thanks for the menu - I am enlightened. Would NEVER have thought to put steak in a crepe - despite having made them with seafood / chicken / cheese / mushrooms and various other savoury ingredients. Steak is such a stand alone food for me (i usually don't even add sauce, just a teeny bit of salt or mustard) but then, we have some of the best beef in the world, so it doesn't need anything to make it delicious.

Somewhat off topic, but on the subject of adding things to steak, I have a query for the American folks. Have you ever known anyone to serve steak with icecream? A good friend was served this as a main meal when she stayed with an American family in their home, and she couldn't eat it. I don't know whether it's something other people do too, whether this family was just unique, or if they were winding her up. I've heard of some other combinations from your neck of the woods that seem odd, but then I've tried and they have been surprisingly more-ish - peanut butter and chocolate springs to mind, and french toast with maple syrup. Is this another one of these? Are Americans particularly adventurous with food combinations?

Oh great - now I have a craving for chocolate and PB!

I was aware of that. But in France they had hazelnut without the chocolate, it seemed like crushed nuts made into a sauce with perhaps cream and sugar? (I'm guessing a bit here - as I said, I never actually had it). It was more sauce-like than spread like and definitely no chocolate. I'm actually thinking it might be more like the dulce de leche?

Thanks for the menu - I am enlightened. Would NEVER have thought to put steak in a crepe - despite having made them with seafood / chicken / cheese / mushrooms and various other savoury ingredients. Steak is such a stand alone food for me (i usually don't even add sauce, just a teeny bit of salt or mustard) but then, we have some of the best beef in the world, so it doesn't need anything to make it delicious.

Somewhat off topic, but on the subject of adding things to steak, I have a query for the American folks. Have you ever known anyone to serve steak with icecream? A good friend was served this as a main meal when she stayed with an American family in their home, and she couldn't eat it. I don't know whether it's something other people do too, whether this family was just unique, or if they were winding her up. I've heard of some other combinations from your neck of the woods that seem odd, but then I've tried and they have been surprisingly more-ish - peanut butter and chocolate springs to mind, and french toast with maple syrup. Is this another one of these? Are Americans particularly adventurous with food combinations?

Oh great - now I have a craving for chocolate and PB!

Hi,:) we have lots of different regions in the states and many areas

have their own specific ways of eating things but the only time I have

ever had ice cream with steak? The steak comes as my entree

and the ice cream is dessert:D;)...so, no I have not had them

served "together" if that is what you were referring to..........

Peanut butter and chocolate is DELICIOUS together...have you ever

heard of Reece's Peanut Butter cups? It is candy...chocolate on the

outside and peanut butter in the middle:) YUMMY!

And many people eat French toast with syrup..that is not anything

out of the ordinary in the states.

As for being adventurous? Depends on the person really:)

Enjoyed reading all the comments (along with the latest poll;)).

Seems like a great place for embarkation lunch per your recommendations.

Many are talking about the various sweet crepes. Have now heard 3 recommendations (2 here) for the "Cowboy" crepe. Any other savory favorites?

How about the "daily soup" served there? Something special/same as DR?

Many thanks!

Somewhat off topic, but on the subject of adding things to steak, I have a query for the American folks. Have you ever known anyone to serve steak with icecream? A good friend was served this as a main meal when she stayed with an American family in their home, and she couldn't eat it. I don't know whether it's something other people do too, whether this family was just unique, or if they were winding her up.

I like steak and I have lived in the US all my life and I have never heard of steak and ice cream. Every family has some quirky combination of things they like to eat. Perhaps this is one of them.

There are some unsual flavors found around the globe, however, such as spaghetti and cheese (Venezuela), octopus (Japan), salad (Japan), garlic (this weekend in my area during the annual garlic festival), caviar (France), cheese (Phillipines), so I wouldn't be surprised if steak flavored ice cream is available somewhere.

Enjoyed reading all the comments (along with the latest poll;)).

Seems like a great place for embarkation lunch per your recommendations.

Many are talking about the various sweet crepes. Have now heard 3 recommendations (2 here) for the "Cowboy" crepe. Any other savory favorites?

How about the "daily soup" served there? Something special/same as DR?

Many thanks!

I aslo like the sweet and sour. I haven't tried anything there other than the crepes so not sure about soups, salads, or panini's

We really enjoyed the Bistro when we boarded the Equinox, had to convince our fellow travelers that we would enjoy it more than the buffet frenzy, but they were quickly convinced this was the best way to go.

Service was very good, not busy at all and the food was yummmmy! We had some tomato basil soup there that I wish I could have eaten every day.

We were very sorry we never made it back after the first day, something we will correct when we board the Silhouette.

Bev

As to the steak and ice cream question, and assuming you are meaning they were served together, it might have been the ice cream was served, and I forget the term, as an appitiff or to freshen the tastebuds? Someone will come up with the right term, but I've had a small tab of ice cream served with the entree (main dish) a number of times to 'freshen the tastebuds', but not ice cream as a full side.

Den

As to the steak and ice cream question, and assuming you are meaning they were served together, it might have been the ice cream was served, and I forget the term, as an appitiff or to freshen the tastebuds? Someone will come up with the right term, but I've had a small tab of ice cream served with the entree (main dish) a number of times to 'freshen the tastebuds', but not ice cream as a full side.

Den

The term I've seen used for this is an intermezzo. Not something that I'd expect to be served at a home cooked meal (I've only seen it at places trying to be fancy restaurants), but I tend to be pretty casual cooking/eating at home. While not something I see often, this wouldn't be shocking to me. On the other hand, what I was picturing from the post -- a nice steak with a big scoop of ice cream on top -- that would definitely be a strange one! :eek:

Den

Good point. I'm pretty sure it's sorbet instead of ice cream for that purpose, however.

Best place to start the cruise...we always have lunch there on embarkation day...no crowds. A calm, quiet, excellent meal....totally worth $5.:)

People HAVE to quit saying this, or else EVERYONE will be going there on Embarkation day! :D

People HAVE to quit saying this, or else EVERYONE will be going there on Embarkation day! :D

Considering that less than 5% of the passengers on board will be CC members, I think we're in on a little known secret and will still have the place nearly to ourselves. At least, that's what I'm counting on!!!

Archived