long sleeve shirts for crown grill?

golferdog

We're long time cruisers and are doing a 14 day caribeean on the Crown in Nov~~We've decided for the first time ever to forego formal night and leave the tuxes home. I've heard that the Crown requires long sleeve shirts on formal night (as opposed to slacks and a nice Tommy Bahama type shirt) Having never missed a formal night being tux clad, I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this~~I can always throw one in the bag, just trying to keep it as light as possible~~Thanx

On the Sapphire in May, the front page of the Patter prominently states the formal dress code for the dining room which is their standard requirements. Also included was a statement for those wishing to have a casual dinner to use the Horizon Court option. Whether this is enforced, there are many recent posts that say yes & no. It's doubtful if the CG is empty that the dress code would be enforced but can vary by who you deal with at the CG.

Never been turned away for wearing a short sleeved shirt.

My husband wore a more casual short sleeve button-down shirt in the Crown Grill. There was no issue.

Was this on formal night? The reason I ask is because they no longer suggest a specialty restaurant as a casual dining option for formal night & I've read posts saying formal dress has been required to dine in CG or Sabatini's on formal night. So they may be changing things even though enforcement may vary.

I think, like most things, it varies from Ship to Ship. Upon boarding, I had the formal vs. casual discussion with the CG head waiter on Ruby. He finally relented and said DH could get by with long sleeves on formal night. On formal night, DH wore long sleeves and a nice pullover sweater, I wore black slacks and a white blouse and did feel a bit underdressed.

Moral of the story is, you can probably get by with it, but will you really be comfortable with it. Some will; some won't.

The specialty dining rooms are "Smart Casual" on all nights including formal nights

As I posted, that wasn't the case on the Sapphire in May. There have been enough recent posts where formal clothing was required so just wanting to let the OP know that it may be required. It's not my opinion on the specialty restaurant dress code but a recent experience. Things change so what has happened in the past doesn't assure it will be the same in the future.

As I posted, that wasn't the case on the Sapphire in May. There have been enough recent posts where formal clothing was required so just wanting to let the OP know that it may be required. It's not my opinion on the specialty restaurant dress code but a recent experience. Things change so what has happened in the past doesn't assure it will be the same in the future.

You have to be armed with the proper documentation to force the issue, similar to eating in the dining room on the first day if they tell you no.

I was on the Sapphire in May and while the Patter did indicate that if you wanted a casual dining experience use the Horizon Corrt, I wore dockers and a long sleeve shirt to the Sterling Steakhouse and there was no problem on a formal night. While many did have on a jacket and tie, I was not the only one who did not. However I was prepared to eat in the Horizon if denied entry adn would certainly have respected that requirement. Yes it was my vacation, but still need to abide by the dress requirements.

I was on the Sapphire in May and while the Patter did indicate that if you wanted a casual dining experience use the Horizon Corrt, I wore dockers and a long sleeve shirt to the Sterling Steakhouse and there was no problem on a formal night. While many did have on a jacket and tie, I was not the only one who did not. However I was prepared to eat in the Horizon if denied entry adn would certainly have respected that requirement. Yes it was my vacation, but still need to abide by the dress requirements.

Well stated, thank you!

I agree, well stated.

If we're talking about "comfort" in every sense of the word, I would be much more uncomfortable going armed with my little piece of paper and arguing my point to dress down, than I would be to simply slip on something that meets the establishment's request.

Same situation with eating in the MDR upon embarkation. If it's a ship that is only serving people in the MDR that are doing a B2B, I'm not going to take my little piece of paper and insist that I be seated. If they're not set up to serve the masses, I don't want to put undue stress on the crew. There will be plenty of other opportunities to eat in the MDR when they are prepared for the masses. Wow, that was really off topic, sorry:o.

I was also on the Sapphire in May. When I made my reservation at Sabbatini's, in person, I asked if formal attire was required on formal night. The person taking reservations looked at me (wearing dockers and a short sleeve collared shirt), and said "What you have on is fine". (i did not ask him if what I was wearing was fine). That's a direct quote. On formal night it was very much a mixed bag.

We have frequented the Crown Grill dozens of times on the Crown, Emerald and Ruby.... I have never brought a long sleeve shirt on any of the cruises...have worn a jacket/tie maybe half the time...

The Crown Grill is our favorite..on land or sea....

Yes, that would be fine. However, you shouldn't need the blazer if you are wearing a short sleeved collared shirt, but that is your decision.

Mike

Thanks, I was concerned that I would be overdressed!!!icon7.gif

Where I live an upscale restaurant is the "Hilltop Saloon" not too far from our house. They would probably throw me out in a Blazer. However, I consider the Crown Grill somewhat of an upscale and when I take my DW out to an upscale I want to dress the part!!

Thanks, I was concerned that I would be overdressed!!!icon7.gif

Where I live an upscale restaurant is the "Hilltop Saloon" not too far from our house. They would probably throw me out in a Blazer. However, I consider the Crown Grill somewhat of an upscale and when I take my DW out to an upscale I want to dress the part!!

If you go to the Crown Grill on a formal night, there will be people in there wearing suits/tuxedo's, but it's not a requirement for the specialty restaurants. You won't be overdressed at all, and should look the part just fine!:D

Mike

On the Grand earlier this year the Patter on formal night said formal wear was required in the steakhouse (didn't mention Sabatinis). We didn't go that night so I don't know if they were enforcing it - but we were surprised to read it!

Archived