What can/can't kids wear in MDR & formal night?

EOSapril11

Hi, I am sailing in 2weeks on the Summit w/ my 3 girls (7,9,11). Can they wear shorts in the MDR on regular nights? On formal nights they will be wearing a dress, but what about shoes? Can they wear flip flops? We are pretty casual people, plus I don't want to overpack w/3 girls!!

Thanks for your help!

I would say no to shorts on the "smart casual and above" nights, per the Celebrity instructions, also no to very casual beachy flip flops -- nice sandals or thong sandals that don't look rubbery or like you would wear around the pool would probably be ok, although the Celebrity website does say no flip-flops. But maybe the kids would rather eat with the kids club on those nights? Lots of children do.

Just got back from the Summit yesterday and must say that all the children I saw were following the dress code with the exception of a few boys in dress shirts and pants without a tie.

For the formal nights most of the girls were in Easter type or party dresses.

My two daughters did wear fancy dresses as they love dressing up.

The other nights most of the young girls were wearing sundress type dresses or capri pants and tops.

As a previous poster said they are fine with nicer fip flops. My daughters wore their gladiator type flip flops with sun dresses and did not have a problem in the MDR. Did not see any children in shorts in the MDR and I am not a stickler for the rules but your girls are old enough to follow the dress code in the dining room.

I agree with the other posters. No shorts at dinner in the MDR, but nice flip flop style shoes are fine including on formal night. My 10 year old loves to wear black wedge style flip flops with rhinestones on the straps. Really, it's so easy to satisfy the dress code with girls.

My older DD likes to go back after dinner and change into shorts, but my younger DD likes to stay in whatever she is wearing, whether it's her formal night dress or a casual dress or skirt (I can't get her to wear capris even though I think they're really cute).

My kids (now 22 (son) and 19 (daughter)) have been cruising for over 10 years and have always loved getting dressed up for the formal nights and always dressed better than casual on the other nights. My son always wears a suit and often keeps it on later in the night and neither of them have ever worn jeans in the MDR for dinner. If my husband and I went to a specialty restaurant without them (once or twice cruises have fallen on our anniversary) they still got dressed and insisted on going to the MDR. And when they were younger - got lots of attention from the waiters and other passengers for dining out as a brother and sister.

My brother and his family just came back from a cruise on the NCL Epic - they all loved it but both my kids have said they would be disappointed in not having the "full cruise dining experience" with "our" waiters and everyone dressing nicely.

In real life - you can barely get my son out of shorts and a baseball cap and my daughter, while much more interested in clothes than her brother, is still very casual.

I think people don't always give their kids a chance to act like grown-ups and have a more formal frame of reference. They have both tried foods they would never tried at home, have excellent table manners and get upset when we have had tablemates that did not treat the waiters with the same respect and attention that we did. As a result, they learned that you catch more flies with honey - extra unasked for desserts, bread baskets just for them (my daughter loves bread), etc. ;)

They never brought books or video games to the table either! They aren't perfect - not by a long shot - but kids can surprise you with what they can enjoy outside of their usual routine.

PS - We have often gotten our Christmas card picture from formal nights.

My kids (now 22 (son) and 19 (daughter)) have been cruising for over 10 years and have always loved getting dressed up for the formal nights and always dressed better than casual on the other nights. My son always wears a suit and often keeps it on later in the night and neither of them have ever worn jeans in the MDR for dinner. If my husband and I went to a specialty restaurant without them (once or twice cruises have fallen on our anniversary) they still got dressed and insisted on going to the MDR. And when they were younger - got lots of attention from the waiters and other passengers for dining out as a brother and sister.

My brother and his family just came back from a cruise on the NCL Epic - they all loved it but both my kids have said they would be disappointed in not having the "full cruise dining experience" with "our" waiters and everyone dressing nicely.

In real life - you can barely get my son out of shorts and a baseball cap and my daughter, while much more interested in clothes than her brother, is still very casual.

I think people don't always give their kids a chance to act like grown-ups and have a more formal frame of reference. They have both tried foods they would never tried at home, have excellent table manners and get upset when we have had tablemates that did not treat the waiters with the same respect and attention that we did. As a result, they learned that you catch more flies with honey - extra unasked for desserts, bread baskets just for them (my daughter loves bread), etc. ;)

They never brought books or video games to the table either! They aren't perfect - not by a long shot - but kids can surprise you with what they can enjoy outside of their usual routine.

PS - We have often gotten our Christmas card picture from formal nights.

I agree 100%!! My son (now 25) cruised from the age of 3 and always loved dressing up and being treated as special (and that is even though at this point in his life his favorites are football, Ultimate Fighting Championship and wrestling!!) We had to march him out of the MDR a few times when he was under 5 and sit him down for a 'time out' on the steps but all in all he rose to the occasion and enjoyed it very much. And has been stated, these kids are old enough to abide by the rules- it is really not all that hard to do so.

Thanks for your responses...I should have been more clear. I didn't mean cheap pool flip flops, I meant the nicer ones w/embellishments that are really the norm now. That's what they like to wear and are most comfortable in. Of course I wouldn't have them wearing dirty flip flops to a MDR dressed in nice dresses.

I hate to have to go out & buy three pairs of shoes that they will only wear that one week. No need to attack me. It's our first cruise and I need to know what to buy/what to pack. I don't want to bring too much, but also want to be prepared.

I read dress code, but I was also told by Celebrity that water is not allowed to be brought on board, but many people here state they slap a luggage tag on a case & bring that. What about those who smuggle more than 2 bottles of wine?

I don't think asking this question deserves some of the snide responses.

Sorry - I wasn't trying to be snide or rude - just giving my own example of how my kids have dealt with formal nights (including on Celebrity).

This is a very touchy subject for a lot of people. Celebrity does have a reputation for being a little more formal and a lot of people choose to cruise on the line for that reason. So when questions come up about how formal is formal, what do kids have to wear, etc people can get snippy. And the questions do come up a lot!

And completely unrelated to your post, but you mentioned 'flip-flops' - I am soooo tired of seeing adults (and teenagers) wearing flip-flops all the time. My husband and I were at a Broadway show yesterday - and could not believe what people (men and women) were wearing on their feet! Not sandals, not flats, not even sneakers - dirty, nasty $2 Old Navy flip-flops. Besides looking ugly - that can't be good for your feet to walk around in those all day long. Sorry to steal your post!! Off my soap-box!

Have a great cruise with your family - hopefully it will become an addiction for you too!

Sorry - I wasn't trying to be snide or rude - just giving my own example of how my kids have dealt with formal nights (including on Celebrity).

This is a very touchy subject for a lot of people. Celebrity does have a reputation for being a little more formal and a lot of people choose to cruise on the line for that reason. So when questions come up about how formal is formal, what do kids have to wear, etc people can get snippy. And the questions do come up a lot!

And completely unrelated to your post, but you mentioned 'flip-flops' - I am soooo tired of seeing adults (and teenagers) wearing flip-flops all the time. My husband and I were at a Broadway show yesterday - and could not believe what people (men and women) were wearing on their feet! Not sandals, not flats, not even sneakers - dirty, nasty $2 Old Navy flip-flops. Besides looking ugly - that can't be good for your feet to walk around in those all day long. Sorry to steal your post!! Off my soap-box!

Have a great cruise with your family - hopefully it will become an addiction for you too!

I am totally in agreement--do you remember the flip flop flap a few years ago when an entire girls athletic team showed up at a White House ceremony in their honor wearing flip flops? Personally I need way more support than they offer and they belong at the beach or pool, not the dining room, formal night or not!

I am totally in agreement--do you remember the flip flop flap a few years ago when an entire girls athletic team showed up at a White House ceremony in their honor wearing flip flops? Personally I need way more support than they offer and they belong at the beach or pool, not the dining room, formal night or not!

I know the event you are talking about - and it did look tacky to go to the White House in flip flops. I saw an article the other day about how they are the new thing for wedding parties too. Apparently once the pictures are taken, the women in the bridal parties (including the brides) are all changing into flip-flops for the receptions. With formal dresses, wedding dresses? Everyone has had to take off high heels at some point but why does it have to be flip flops? Again - I can't dance in them. Must be generational. I'm only in my 40s but sometimes feel like a cranky old lady.:D

Again OP - sorry to hijack the thread!

Regarding flip flops, I think the term causes confusion because it can encompass virtually any type of backless sandal. So they run the spectrum from dressy to $3 plastic beach shoes. When I was a kid, the cheapo beach flip flops were called thongs, but now that means something else!

To the OP: I agree that you shouldn't take the comments too seriously. Any dress code thread gets rather heated. Have a blast on your cruise. My kids always love their cruises and love to eat in the MDR.

Sorry Estelle, I wasn't referring to you! Like I said, I should have been more clear...I was trying to get this question out too fast this morning...I am the mother of 3 girls!!!

I did mean thong-like (you know, between the toe like a flip flop), strapless shoes. No, not sandals, but dressy like a sandal. I don't want to have to bring 50 pairs of shoes, or go out & buy extra shoes just for the trip (if I don't really have to).

I don't want to hear that maybe Celebrity isn't for me. There are many reasons I chose this particular cruise.

Thank you for those who understand and responded in a pleasant manner. And yes, we do plan on thoroughly enjoying our trip--including our "flip flops"!

Casual backless thong type sandals are fine and can by quite "dressy."

Lightweight cotton sun dresses are easy to pack, comfortable, and perfect for the MDR.

I pack a nice white light weight sweater for each of my girls (now 12 and 10) that not only "dresses" up the cotton dresses but helps keep them from getting chilly in the ac'd MDR.

I was on the July 24th Summit cruise, and I didn't see any children in shorts in the MDR (not that I was there every minute, of course.) Girls were wearing sundresses or capri outfits on casual nights, dressier outfits on formal nights, and most were wearing those casual sandals but not beach-type flip flops. I did notice that every night's listing of buffet dining hours listed a Children's Corner, so perhaps some parents would feed their children there and then drop them off at the kids' club if they wanted to stay in shorts. Hope this feedback helps.....

I was on the July 24th Summit cruise, and I didn't see any children in shorts in the MDR (not that I was there every minute, of course.) Girls were wearing sundresses or capri outfits on casual nights, dressier outfits on formal nights, and most were wearing those casual sandals but not beach-type flip flops. I did notice that every night's listing of buffet dining hours listed a Children's Corner, so perhaps some parents would feed their children there and then drop them off at the kids' club if they wanted to stay in shorts. Hope this feedback helps.....
I agree....we had several children near our tables and all were dressed properly right down to their shoes/sandals.

My DD has been going on cruises since she was 5 (she's 10 now). She wears sundresses or skorts all day, and wears them to the dining room at night as well, along with her sandals. This is appropriate for casual night. I would say that flip flops and shorts are not acceptable during a usual night, and I never see young children in this kind of attire.

On formal night she wears a party dress and dress shoes. Even though she is a tomboy, she enjoys getting dressed up (except for the nylons... and I usually let her go without ;) ). You may find the same for your girls. If you make a big production of formal night, then they may enjoy getting dressed up as well.

If they absolutely do not want to get dressed up, on formal nights the Fun Factory runs a 'kids' dinner' in the buffet, so you would be able to take your girls there and then have whatever formal dinner you desire.

That was 'my team,' the UConn Huskies. We love them, but that was not a proud moment for us.

Archived