Barcelona... best way to visit Parc Guell, La Sagrada Familia and Las Ramblas

Wayfairers

Our ship arrives in Barcelona at 4pm and leaves the next day at 5pm. This will be our first visit and the 3 things I would like to see are Parc Guell, La Sagrada Familia (walk around outside only) and Las Ramblas area. I would like to see one the day we arrive - maybe La Sagrada Familia because I think it is the most difficult to get to.

Any suggestions on the best way to get to and between these places (taxi, HOHO, trixi, metro, walking, etc)?

You can walk Las Ramblas and take the metro to Parc Guell from Las Ramblas. To take the Metro to Parc Guell take the L3 metro to the Vallcarca stop. There are signs to guide you. There is an uphill climb but then you come to the escalator which takes you up the rest of the steep climb to the top of the Parc. Then you walk downhill thru the Parc to the main entrance seeing the sites along the way. If you get off at Lesseps (which most guide books suggest) it is a long walk to the main entrance so you end up walking uphill thru the park. Lots to see there so save your energy at the beginning so you can enjoy the the park.

Barcelona Metro website is also helpful. By a T10 ticket which you can share with all in your group.

I would use the HOHO. It comes to the pier. Go on your route or routes and see the sights you wish. Then get off at Placa Cantalunya at the top of Las Ramblas and walk back down to the harbour.

If you're skipping the inside of La Sagrada Familia because you don't think you'll have the time, I would take the morning Gaudi bus tour, the tickets for which you can purchase at the tourist office at Placa de Catalunya at the top of Las Ramblas (or at the bus itself) that leaves from there (the south side) to visit Parc Guell (first) and then La Sagrada Familia. It will get you past the very long entrance lines at the latter, and once you're inside you can stay as long as you like and then take the metro back to Placa de Catalunya instead of the bus--you choose. The interior is VERY worth seeing. The guide was very good and the price was reasonable. After the tour is over, you can stroll down Las Ramblas before you get on the cruise ship.

Les

YOU should look it up on line. There is NO church in the world that looks anything like Sagrada Familia!!

Depending on the time of year you are here it should be open late and you can just take a taxi there from the port. You can also just walk up Las Ramblas as it starts at the point that the little shuttle bus brings you from the dock. IF you walk to the top of Las Ramblas and have energy you could take a taxi from there or try the metro.

When I am in a new city I prefer to stay above ground on the first visit but the metro is well marked and easy to use. You can buy a ticket from the vending machine in the station. IF you were there longer I'd tell you to buy a T-10 which is good for 10 rides on metro/bus and can be shared so if you have a family of 5 then everyone could have 2 rides using one ticket.

I was skipping the inside because I thought it probably was like every other church we have seen and not worth seeing. What makes it VERY worth seeing?

I felt the same way--was glad I listened to others.

If you're familiar with gothic cathedrals, this church takes it up a notch--it feels alive, airy, light-filled. Also, going inside is the only way to get close-up to the many details on the exterior facades.

I have some interior shots in this set to give you an idea.

I say take the HOHO bus, too. Go to Sagrada Familia as early as possible. Get tickets and go inside. You won't regret it. Lines get long and the days get sunny and hot.

HOHO takes you to within 1/4 mile or less of Parc Guell. You get off and take a little walk (unhill) to the park. It is great. Don't miss it, either.

HOHO will also take you to Las Ramblas. Get off at Placa Catalunya across from the Hard Rock Cafe and start walking down the center shaded walkway.

Watch for pickpockets. They love that place.

I say take the HOHO bus, too. Go to Sagrada Familia as early as possible. Get tickets and go inside. You won't regret it. Lines get long and the days get sunny and hot.

HOHO takes you to within 1/4 mile or less of Parc Guell. You get off and take a little walk (unhill) to the park. It is great. Don't miss it, either.

HOHO will also take you to Las Ramblas. Get off at Placa Catalunya across from the Hard Rock Cafe and start walking down the center shaded walkway.

Watch for pickpockets. They love that place.

Buy a metro T10 (10 subway tickets) for €8. That's 5 trips ea for two people for €8 for the two of you, vs two HoHo tickets for €46 (23/ea)

YOU should look it up on line. There is NO church in the world that looks anything like Sagrada Familia!!

Depending on the time of year you are here it should be open late and you can just take a taxi there from the port. You can also just walk up Las Ramblas as it starts at the point that the little shuttle bus brings you from the dock. IF you walk to the top of Las Ramblas and have energy you could take a taxi from there or try the metro.

When I am in a new city I prefer to stay above ground on the first visit but the metro is well marked and easy to use. You can buy a ticket from the vending machine in the station. IF you were there longer I'd tell you to buy a T-10 which is good for 10 rides on metro/bus and can be shared so if you have a family of 5 then everyone could have 2 rides using one ticket.

Ditto,

You must go inside Sagrada Familia, it is well worth the time. Also, take the elevator up and see the city. It is like no church that you have ever seen.

Also, I recommend that you use a guide for Barcelona that knows the history and can do Gaudi as well. We used Barcelona Day Tours.

If you want to do it yourself, you can take the METRO, or walk. We walked from Las Ramblas so we could go inside (we didn't on the tour). The line may be long, but it moves fast.

While at La Sagrada Familia walk around the grounds to the school site. Also make sure you visit the basement which has a wonderful display of the architectural drawings. This church is like no other you will ever see!

We also did the HoHo but found it very overcrowded on Saturday and Sunday. If you really only want to do the church, Parc Guell and Las Ramblas then I'd take the metro.

I have to agree with the others, this church is a must see. I am not a church sightseer and i was in awe of the architecture. We used day tours barcelona which is different from barcelona day tours. Alicia was our guide and so knowledgable about every little detail and all history of the church and parc guell. Without her commentary it would all have been lost on us ;) We did a 6 hour tour and she took us to a wonderful tapas place that catered to us. It was great. IMHO when you only have a day it is better to bend the budget so you can have all things packed into your day most efficiently. :)

Go to Segrada Familia late afternoon of your first day. I spent an hour just taking photos around the outside! The inside (well, what they had finished in April 2010) definitely did NOT look like the insides of any other church. I wish I could have seen it maybe the day before the Pope visited - it had to at least be cleaned of construction stuff. Stay until dark. The lights that shine around the cathedral turn it into something even more magical! Segrada Familia is also easily reached via the Metro from La Rambla or Placa Catalunya.

We took the HOHO on our last day in Barcelona following our cruise. We found that it worked really well for us to get an overview of the city as well as transportation to La Sagrada Familia, Parc Guell and Las Ramblas. While doing the metro may be cheaper, if you are interested in seeing the city, the top of a HOHO gives you a great view.

We had been "churched out" by our cruise to Italy, etc. and hesitated at standing in the long line at La Sagrada when we got there mid-morning, however one person in our group rallied the troops and convinced us to go inside. The line moved remarkably fast and the church was our favorite of the whole trip (including St. Peters!).

I was skipping the inside because I thought it probably was like every other church we have seen and not worth seeing. What makes it VERY worth seeing?

I have to agree with the others.....you have to see the inside of Sagrada Familia. After our trip through Italy seeing countless numbers of churches, this is the one we remember the most. Here are a few shots to show why....

DSC02651.jpg

DSC02653.jpg

DSC02656.jpg

DSC02658.jpg

DSC02662.jpg

DSC02672.jpg

Archived