Calling all NY hotel experts!

Wordzz

Thanks to the great help and advice received on here, we recently booked a westbound TA for June 2012. Deck 5, port side, midships, sheltered balcony. Woo-hoo! So woo-hoo, in fact, that we have decided to spend a few days in New York; seems a shame to get straight on the plane and come back again without spending some time in the city. This will be our first ever trip to NYC, so we want to make the most of it. Not sure what to do about a hotel, though - it seems far too early to book yet; some hotels haven't even got prices up for 2012 yet and simply show every room at USD 999 or whatever. Not sure how the supply-demand dynamic works in NYC, but I expect there's an optimum time to book which means one is likely to get the best deals with still plenty of rooms available. Would 2 - 3 months out be about right, or would that be too late? Or should we actually be looking & booking now?

Also, if anyone has any NYC hotel recommendations, that would be hugely appreciated. We are looking for a well-located hotel for typical tourists, ideally with a nice city / skyline view from the room.

Your help & advice is much appreciated!

It doesn't have amazing views however the Chelsea Pines Inn is located metres from a subway stop and right in the middle of Chelsea and The West Village.

We stayed at the Chelsea Pines Inn and it was fantastic.

http://www.chelseapinesinn.com/

It's so good that it's rated 4 out of 332 hotels in NYC on Trip Advisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d122020-Reviews-Chelsea_Pines_Inn-New_York_City_New_York.html

What exact dates are you looking at in June? I'd go to Hotwire and see what is available. I just pulled up a 4* hotel in the Times Square area for June 17-20 for $156 - amazing price. You can look at betterbidding.com under New York for the hotels that tend to show up on Hotwire for Times Square. You take the amenities shown on Hotwire and match them to the betterbidding amenities to see what hotel you could possibly get. Then you can look at the hotels on Tripadvisor for reviews. Quite frankly any 3*+ hotel in your target area (I'd stick with Times Square, Midtown Central, Chelsea/Madison Square Garden,and Empire State) under $200 is a great deal.

The hotel is nonrefundable and you pay for it now, but there is also an option to insure the hotel against certain types of cancellations like medical necessity (not just you changing your mind).

Try the Best Western Seaport Inn. We stayed there pre cruise last year. It is a shortish transfer from the port. Pre book a taxi much cheaper than yellow cab. Plenty of places to eat within walking distance. Close to Brooklyn Bridge, easy subway access. Prices are reasonable and include buffet breakfast. We have stayed in mid-town before, but prefered this area.

Thank you all for the tips! 138East, I will take a look at Hotwire, though not sure if it's possible to use it for bookings from the UK - I'll go and find out!

You can use Hotwire.co.uk - we booked our hotel through this. Its only recently we have been able to do this in the UK.

Staying in Brooklyn is always an option, but the OP has never been to NY before and might find staying in Manhattan preferable if they can find a hotel deal.

I agree, stay in Manhattan.

Wordz, what are your dates? Hotels have rooms and rates available for June 2012 and I'm afraid some big event is going on over your dates which is why prices are sky high.

For peak season such as the marathon and Thanksgiving, plenty of hotels charge and get close to $1000 per night.

BlueHerons,

We arrive in NYC on Sunday, 17th June and plan staying 5 nights. I had thought we might be better waiting a while, but maybe I need to snag something now which can be cancelled at no charge if necessary, and then watch what happens to rates.

Thanks again everyone!

Are you sure you can't book through Hotwire directly? For 5 nights starting June 17 I'm seeing fantastic prices. $131 for a 4.5* Soho hotel and $156 for a 4* Times Square hotel. We watch NY hotel rates all the time and it is highly unlikely you would see a much better deal than this. The 4* Times Square hotel is likely to be the Westin or the "W" and the Soho 4.5* hotel is likely to be the "W" downtown (my guess is that the Times Square might be the W as well).

It's all very well to watch rates, but you also have to be prepared to jump on something when it becomes available. I haven't seen much of anything on Hotwire under $150-200 for any date and certainly not a 4* or 4.5* hotel.

If you can't use Hotwire, what about Priceline?

I am living in the Netherlands and I have just booked through Hotwire for 5 nights in April. The hotel on Times Square is indeed the Westin. I've looked up their price on their site and it was $ 395 a night, so I am very pleased that I got it for only $ 156. Thank you very much for the tip 138east!:D

Are you sure you can't book through Hotwire directly? For 5 nights starting June 17 I'm seeing fantastic prices. $131 for a 4.5* Soho hotel and $156 for a 4* Times Square hotel. We watch NY hotel rates all the time and it is highly unlikely you would see a much better deal than this. The 4* Times Square hotel is likely to be the Westin or the "W" and the Soho 4.5* hotel is likely to be the "W" downtown (my guess is that the Times Square might be the W as well).

It's all very well to watch rates, but you also have to be prepared to jump on something when it becomes available. I haven't seen much of anything on Hotwire under $150-200 for any date and certainly not a 4* or 4.5* hotel.

If you can't use Hotwire, what about Priceline?

Wow that is a great deal! I'd jump all over that!

Wow that is a great deal! I'd jump all over that!

I just did!

When I went back to Hotwire, the deal had gone up in price. I was somewhat disappointed but waited 15 mins and it came back at the original price, so I jumped in fast! Got the exact same deal as Dutchies, same hotel (Westin T/S), so well pleased, to put it mildly!!

Thanks so much for all the help, especially 138east.

Dutchies, als jij dit nog ziet - gefeliciteerd! Goede deal, he!

Wow, that is a seriously great deal! For those who might just be reading this I'll add my two cents. Living so close to NYC I haven't stayed in many places, but I have stayed at the Roger Williams hotel, which was very nice; quiet and upscale. Also the Marriott Marquis is where my DH has his office Christmas party every year, which is a very fun location, right in the middle of the Times Square action.

We just stayed in NYC for three nights at the Hotel Metro and for us it was an absolutely perfect choice. The location is great, right next to Herald Square and Macys and right around the corner from the Empire State Building. We were within walking distance to Times Square and the theater district which was wonderful as we saw three Broadway shows while we werer there. We also walked to Rockefeller Center, Radio City Music Hall, the New York Public Library and St. Patricks Cathedral - all within a reasonable walking range. And there is a subway station on the corner that can get you anywhere you want to go.

The hotel is lovely, the staff superb and the rooms are nicely appointed with the most comfortable beds. And they serve a great continental breakfast with huge, fresh NY bagels, muffins, danishes, cereal, yogurt, fruit, juice and coffee. It was a perfect way to start a busy day of walking the City. Our rate was reasonable and comparable to other hotels in the area. Perhaps not the least expensive, but well worth it for the service, comfort and amazing location.

If you would identify the name of the hotel it would be helpful. Why don't you link us to the post where the CC member recommended this hotel?

Try a hotel on W.51 and Avenue Of The Americas .

A CC regular stayed there pre-cruise last month

Archived