Silly question....

the2ofus

I have noticed a couple of Oceania itineraries that interest me. The free air is an enticement too. I'd like to investigate further but am embarrassed to say that I don't know how to pronounce the name of the cruiseline. It would be awkward to call a TA and try to ask for information. A bit of help please???

I have noticed a couple of Oceania itineraries that interest me. The free air is an enticement too. I'd like to investigate further but am embarrassed to say that I don't know how to pronounce the name of the cruiseline. It would be awkward to call a TA and try to ask for information. A bit of help please???

Oh-shee-Ann-EE-Uh

Well, I would have thought that too, but that little letter i is in there.:confused:

If you want the long version here it is:

The founders wanted to call the cruise line Oceana, but they ran into a problem because P&O was already operating a ship by that name.

Oceana_cruise_ship_photos.jpg

The name was changed to Oceania, but some of the more hard headed still refuse to pronounce that "I".

I've tried and tried to explain the phonics of it to them.......

Oh-shee-Ann-EE-Uh

If you call a TA to book a cruise they won't care how you pronounce the name of the cruise line.

Come on folks, this is ENGLISH we're talking about. People pronounce their names the way they want -- not the way it's spelled. I always try to pronounce a name the way the "owner" of that name does. His/her pronunciation makes it "correct".

(I mean look at "Worcestershire" and thousands like it!)

I have always dropped the "i" -- probably because I knew they first wanted the name Oceana. (The yahoo message board never changed its name just because the cruiseline did, for what that is worth ... not much, I know.)

On our first Oceania cruise we were on a ship's tour and the tour guide emphatically stated that it was pronounced WITH the "i". So I did try to change.

But in more recent years it has seemed to me that even the crew and staff have pronounced it O-she-a-na. Maybe I have cloth in my ears ...

Mura

Archived