Wow, you were very lucky that no one 'accidently' spilled their

water on your ipad, or grabbed it from you, and threw it

overboard.

Like many thread on cruise critic -- after reading many of the

replies to this one, I think...

...TABLE FOR TWO.

...and, I've never SMS'd or played a video game at any

dining table.

Just read through the responses, wow! I've never witnessed anyone playing with electronic devices in the MDR, except maybe a camera to take pictures. I'm sure it has happened, just never noticed it. However we always get a table for two so I'm not paying attention to anyone around me anyway.:D

Mike

I wish there was a policy for electronics at dinner anyway. Our last cruise where we had Traditional Dining included a tablemate that came to dinner every evening in rumpled clothing, including those long shorts (yes, this was a Princess ship), and proceeded to put on his headphones and listen to his ipod during all of dinner, even accompanying his music with hand snaps and drumming on the table. We figured that he must have been a staff relative as we were told that there was nothing that could be done about the situation except for us to move. It was so discourteous............. The rest of our table mates were lovely, so we didn't really want to change. Our fault, or choice, I guess that was, we COULD have moved. That was the beginning of our love affair with Anytime Dining. :)

I wonder if you could have asked the Maitre D' to sugguest to the person that their behavior was a distraction and offered to have him re-seated or that he might prefer anytime dining, if he did not feel comfortable with your group?

That might have given him the suggestion that his behavior was inappropriate. It is a pity the Maitre D' didn't pick up on the situation.

I agree. Although, still, I've never heard a phone conversation or a loud game being played at another table.

And there is a code of etiquette even among electronics users, I think. In the dining room, I may be reviewing my photos, DH may be reviewing his, we may share them with each other and talk about our day, or I may read and he may read something different. But I would NEVER pop in ear buds while sitting with anyone, DH included. That's exclusionary, while sharing photos or news is not. And at dinner, we mostly limit it to sharing photos. But, again, the definitive "electronics in the dining room are rude" statement attempts to force your values on others. If they're not at your table, who cares? If you don't like the way kids are entertained at the table, be glad they're not your kids. Another bonus of Anytime Dining.

I think you've hit on the crux of the matter, in terms of whether your activity excludes others. If you are at a shared table, and passed an electronic device around which showed the pictures you had taken that day, then it could be a stimulus for conversation for everyone. If you use the device to exclude others, then it seems to be very rude.

It wouldn't bother me. Just because we agree to share a table with others doesn't mean we have to interact with them or they with us, so it wouldn't bother me if they were absorbed in their gadgets. Now, if I pulled out an iPhone or Kindle at dinner, my wife might throw it or me overboard.

But the point of sharing is to interact with the other tablemates. If you bring your device, sit alone. To sit at a table with a person next to you"plugged in", is SO rude. It basically says, leave me alone. Fine...just tell the Maitre'd that you prefer not to share. That way, everyone's happy.

This is a subject like smoking. You can't please everyone. Personally, I expect the people at my table to be holding a conversation with me during dinner. I even go out of my way to select dining companions. I consider dinner on of the most important parts of my cruise, partially because of the good friendships made over dinner. It would be hard to do that if someone choses to read a book or listen to music or catch up on their emails. If that werre to happen at one of my dinner tables I would ask the person if they found our conversation boring or if we had unintentionally excluded them in any way. If not, I would ask them to kindly join us or change tables.

When it comes to children I traveled with 2 preteens and their parents for 30 days last year. They had access to my iPad that I never brought to the dining room. We did have electronic devices in the dining room. Our cameras and camcorders. I have to admit that when we talked about the days events we sometimes turned on the cameras and looked at the days pix. Then again almost everyone brings a camera to the dining room to catch a special moment so no harm is done.

Finally for those who are seated by themselves or who as a family always read at the table, go ahead and do what you always do. You are not being rude to anyone else and not making any noise. Games that make noise I would recommend that the sound be turned off while in the dining room as a courtesy to the tables nearest you.

Good Sailing, Murf

But the point of sharing is to interact with the other tablemates. If you bring your device, sit alone.
I agree to share, because I don't want to wait on a table for two, not because I want to interact with anyone.

I consider dinner on of the most important parts of my cruise, partially because of the good friendships made over dinner. It would be hard to do that if someone choses to read a book or listen to music or catch up on their emails. If that werre to happen at one of my dinner tables I would ask the person if they found our conversation boring or if we had unintentionally excluded them in any way. If not, I would ask them to kindly join us or change tables.
I don't see why I have to talk to you just because we are sharing a table. If you asked me the above questions I doubt I would feel like talking to you anyway and I certainly wouldn't let you force me to change tables.

When my boyfriend and I go out it can easily be 8 out of 10 tables in the place where one, if not both of the people at the table have their eyes glued to their devices - usually communicating with other people who are not present. Way to spend time "together". You just have to laugh at these folks, we wonder why so many marriages are falling apart these days, its because everyone is too distracted from what is right in front of them...

We actually witnessed some folks deal with the electronic gadget obsession on a recent cruise. It happened at a large table next to our table where one of the so-called adults seemed to have an obsession with his "smart phone" which did seem to be smarter then its owner. Towards the end of the meal two of the other couples at the table (it was a table of 8) asked to see the dining room manager (we heard this conversation with their waiter). In a few minutes the Dining Room Manager arrived at the table and we clearly heard one of the diners demand that they be moved to a table without the "smart phone" distraction. The person who made this request did it in front of the entire table and the offender did appear to become "red faced." The next night that table of 8 only had 4 with 4 empty seats (it was like this for the remainder of the cruise).

Hank

Yes I do. These cruises have An Interbnational clientel learn to live with it. Do you realize that some people in this world speak NO American or speak it with an accent?

Thank you. I was the one who brought that up. Most of these cruisers think english should be the only language spoken. They don't realize how many of these cruisers travel from out of the country to travel.

We actually witnessed some folks deal with the electronic gadget obsession on a recent cruise. It happened at a large table next to our table where one of the so-called adults seemed to have an obsession with his "smart phone" which did seem to be smarter then its owner. Towards the end of the meal two of the other couples at the table (it was a table of 8) asked to see the dining room manager (we heard this conversation with their waiter). In a few minutes the Dining Room Manager arrived at the table and we clearly heard one of the diners demand that they be moved to a table without the "smart phone" distraction. The person who made this request did it in front of the entire table and the offender did appear to become "red faced." The next night that table of 8 only had 4 with 4 empty seats (it was like this for the remainder of the cruise).

Hank

Maybe the people at their table were so dull and boring that they had to use their electronic devices. I for one bring one for the kids to use so they do not get bored but if someone else at the table was using one I would not be all taken back and insulted. Maybe they have no interest in talking to you. This happens a lot on the first night where you could be seated with some really creepy people.

Thank you. I was the one who brought that up. Most of these cruisers think english should be the only language spoken. They don't realize how many of these cruisers travel from out of the country to travel.
I agree, and some Americans can be obnoxious about it. But that doesn't mean we all are. To me, having different nationalities on a cruise is a plus as I find them interesting and educational. When you live in a country where you might have to go 3,000 miles to hear another language, languages aren't the same priority as in other parts of the world. We all study languages in school but without use or necessity, it's gone in a New York minute. This probably contributes to the lack of language skills for the majority of Americans. It's not that we think English is so much better but that there's no use for another language in our quite large country.

I was reading John Heald's blog the other day and he was telling about a contest they had on the Carnival Miracle for the best Bruce Springsteen impersonation. Someone from Asia won the contest and an American contacted John on the ship voicing his objection, apparently extremely strongly, that a non-American won. It takes all kinds. :(

I have to ask: then why are you sharing a table if not to have conversation and meet others?
In Anytime Dining, we often get the option of sharing a table with others immediately or waiting until a table for two is available. That is the reason why we share. Last year we took a cruise on NCL. One positive thing that stood out, at least on the NCL Sun, was the availability of 2 and 4 person tables. Though we were asked if we wanted to share, we never had to wait for a table for two.

Archived