Who wants to do the math...?

ASIWISH

I was just reading a WONDERFUL thread about Mama Lou, who apparently lives aboard a HAL ship for about 10 months a year, and has somewhere between 6,000-8,000 cruise nights aboard HAL...

I'm curious: If you were to spend 10 months a year aboard a HAL ship, say in a verandah, what would that cost???? I'd imagine you would get a discount, right? Is this a common thing?

... it sounds wonderful!

Don't count on a huge 'discount'. Probably something off but I wouldn't imagine deeply discounted.

I think the 'benefits' are a bit less tangible but very valuable, nonetheless.

I always, in the back of my mind, thought you would have figured it out... ready to "pull the trigger" at any moment, Sail7Seas! I'd imagine it would be a life you would love!:)

I always, in the back of my mind, thought you would have figured it out... ready to "pull the trigger" at any moment, Sail7Seas! I'd imagine it would be a life you would love!:)

DH is not retired. :D

Imagine how much we'd cruise if he was???!!!! ;)

I've wondered if Mama Lou does get a discount ... or if she has to pay the single supplement. Depending on that, a guess would be that she has spent somewhere between $500,000 and $900,000 on HAL.

Truthfully,,,,,,,,

If you do the math, that isn't that much.

How much does a home cost for 10 years?

I wonder if she has a 'land' home that is much more than a mail drop off spot.

I've wondered if Mama Lou does get a discount ... or if she has to pay the single supplement. Depending on that, a guess would be that she has spent somewhere between $500,000 and $900,000 on HAL.

So, $700,000 divided by 16 years... you think $44,000 per year?

$3,600 per month?

Interesting...

I took 8000 days and divided it into $ 700,000 (mid-way point between $ 500,000 and $ 900,000 just for argument sake) and

came up with $ 91 per day. Not bad for room, 3 plus meals a day,

and entertainment. About the same (or maybe even cheaper) than

some average assisted-living places. Not to mention the interesting

scenery and "people-watching". Might be something to consider for my "bucket list".

Yes, she owns a house in The Villages FL, a retirement town northwest of Orlando.

So, $700,000 divided by 16 years... you think $44,000 per year?

$3,600 per month?

Interesting...

Actually, all I did was assume an inside room on an R or S class ship which she prefers would cost $80 to $150 per night, depending on the itinerary and whether she pays the single supplement, then multiplied that by 6000. On a monthly basis, 80*31 = 2480, 150*31=4650. The low end could be $70 to $75 per night and the high end double that.

I took 8000 days ...
It's definitely not that. In 2010 and earlier this year she was being reported as having "over 5000". Since she books insides and probably doesn't spend much on frills on board, she doesn't get the Mariner bonus points. I say she's around 5800 to maybe 6200, and chose 6000 as a working number.

If I was going to consider this, I would be looking at the various cruise lines that suit me, and check out the loyalty perks at the highest level...I would be looking for one with free internet and free laundry...EM

But does she pay the single supplement?

I heard someone ask her that question, and she replied with a yes. She also mentioned at that time, she'd just passed the 8,000 day point for cruising with Holland America.

Here's a pic of her with the hugh teddy bear she sails with, which she did give me permission to post on cruise critic

2147387320101871348S425x425Q85.jpg

I heard someone ask her that question, and she replied with a yes. She also mentioned at that time, she'd just passed the 8,000 day point for cruising with Holland America.
Then the "nearly 16 years" quoted in the Oct 2010 hollandamericablog article (see post #12) must be wrong, because 8000 divided by 16 is 500 days per year!! :p 8,000 divided by 330 days per year is 24 years. Which do you think she has wrong, years or days?

Now it is true that if she's paying a single supplement on a $80/night room she would be getting about $280 per week for that plus $77/week HSC toward bonus cruise days since the new Mariner program began, but that would amount to just 1 day-credit per week for just the last couple of years. Obviously she also has to have her hair done on board and buy various personal supplies someplace, but still going from "over 5000" in 2009 or early 2010 to "over 8000" last Nov just doesn't make sense.

Then the "nearly 16 years" quoted in the Oct 2010 hollandamericablog article (see post #12) must be wrong, because 8000 divided by 16 is 500 days per year!! :p 8,000 divided by 330 days per year is 24 years. Which do you think she has wrong, years or days?

You DID do the math. I've no idea which is correct, and am now totally confused. :)

I'd think the hollandamericablog would be authorative, but who knows. She handed me a copy of a newspaper article that had been written about her, but I didn't save it. She handed out quite a few of those ... perhaps someone here on CC still has one and can enlighten us?

You DID do the math. I've no idea which is correct, and am now totally confused. :)

I'd think the hollandamericablog would be authorative, but who knows. She handed me a copy of a newspaper article that had been written about her, but I didn't save it. She handed out quite a few of those ... perhaps someone here on CC still has one and can enlighten us?

In late Aug 2009 she apparently told Copper John that she had "over 5,000", so somehow she would have to get 3,000 in about 700 calendar days.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1050669

In Aug 2009 she apparently told Copper John that she had "over 5,000", so somehow she would have to get 3,000 in about 800 calendar days.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1050669&highlight=mama+lou

Well, that settles it. Either she mis-spoke or I mis-heard, which is entirely possible. I've been known to have my head in the clouds when I'm on a ship. :) Your correct math proves it could not possibly be 8,000 days. Thanks for working that out.

Truthfully,,,,,,,,

If you do the math, that isn't that much.

How much does a home cost for 10 years?

If you mean a nursing home or assisted living, it's similar. Having seen the bills for my aunt's assisted living facility, the ship looks pretty good.

A woman lived on QE2 for many years. She sold her home and made the ship her home. She said that if she looked at moving to assisted living as a way to avoid the upkeep and work involved in staying in her house, it would cost about the same. QE2 did have single cabins, so there wasn't the issue of a single supplement. Now that QE2 is gone and Bea is much older, I believe she lives shoreside with one of her sons, although she does still cruise.

I always thought a ship would be a fantastic "retirement home" for a widow or widower. Of course, QE2 had better variety of itineraries than most ships do now. I don't know that I'd want to go to the same ports every week for several months and then go to a new set of same ports for several months.

If you mean a nursing home or assisted living, it's similar. Having seen the bills for my aunt's assisted living facility, the ship looks pretty good. ...

The last time we had to deal with assisted living costs, it ran just over $6,200 per month for private pay. That was about 3 years ago. A person could easily cruise the months away for less than that. Of course, one would have to be independent and self reliant - with no major medical issues. I doubt my long term care insurance would cover that cruising, but it would certainly be a savings for them. :)

Archived