Who wants to do the math...?

ASIWISH

Yes, QE2 had single cabins....Having seen one, the 1A upper/lower cabins on carnival would be a palace in comparison. The single cabins had floor space about equal to the square footage of the bunk, plus about 18-20 inches longer to accommodate the closet at the head of the bed. Across the floor space from the bunk was the desk/vanity. There acrually was an upper bunk onthe wall above the bunk...It was postulated that these cabins were constructed as cabins for the servants of other passengers...EM

The last time we had to deal with assisted living costs, it ran just over $6,200 per month for private pay. That was about 3 years ago. A person could easily cruise the months away for less than that. Of course, one would have to be independent and self reliant - with no major medical issues. I doubt my long term care insurance would cover that cruising, but it would certainly be a savings for them. :)

Mine doesn't either, but wouldn't it be nice if it did?

Yes, QE2 had single cabins....Having seen one, the 1A upper/lower cabins on carnival would be a palace in comparison. The single cabins had floor space about equal to the square footage of the bunk, plus about 18-20 inches longer to accommodate the closet at the head of the bed. Across the floor space from the bunk was the desk/vanity. There acrually was an upper bunk onthe wall above the bunk...It was postulated that these cabins were constructed as cabins for the servants of other passengers...EM

QE2's cabins varied a lot, even within the same category. It wasn't like the cookie-cutter designs of modern cabins. Some insides were about the size of the walk-in closet in a grill cabin. But others weren't bad for size. And one, just ONE, inside single had a bathtub. Those "in the know" would try to grab that cabin.

When QE2 was designed, ocean liners were two-class ships, and some people did still travel with servants. By the time she was built, the class system was easing, and trailing your maid along was unlikely. For most of her life QE2 did not have separate classes (other than different dining rooms for the more expensive cabins). But her structure carried vestiges of that bygone era. So, yes, a lot of the inside cabins were meant to be for "lesser" passengers. Cabins connected in all sorts of ways. Some outside doubles had inside doubles that could connect to them. Put the kiddies in the inside bunks and let Mom and Dad have the outside cabin. Closing off side hallways made suites. Put Mom and Dad in one outside, kiddies in the other outside, and Nanny in the tiny inside.

My mom was paying a bit over $4000 a month for assisted living by the end and she got a lot of care for that. She needed too much care for a cruise. In order to cruise like Mama Lou you really have to be in a good condition and not need someone to do things for you besides food and cleaning.

My mom was paying a bit over $4000 a month for assisted living by the end and she got a lot of care for that. She needed too much care for a cruise. In order to cruise like Mama Lou you really have to be in a good condition and not need someone to do things for you besides food and cleaning.

Around here, assisted living doesn't include much "assistance." The basic entry-level fee where my aunt is includes about what you'd get on a cruise, minus the travel. Meals, your room made up, a load or two of laundry each week, trivia quizzes, bingo, movies, some entertainment. Quite a few of the residents where she is moved there as a retirement home, not because of medical needs, although more care/assistance is available if needed (for a price).

... Here's a pic of her with the hugh teddy bear she sails with, which she did give me permission to post on cruise critic

Donna,

When I met up with her on Ryndam in February, she gave me a calling card with a photo of her and her bear on one side. The name of the bear is Ryndi Roo. It was chosen as the best name offered by the crew of the Ryndam on an earlier, unspecified, cruise.

She is a delight to talk with, and we determined that we probably had met many years earlier, on Noordam III. When she learned I was a member of CC, she talked proudly about being invited to the M&G you organized, Donna. So, if anyone determines Mama Lou is on your cruise, I recommend you invite her to the M&G -- she will probably enjoy it, and you will enjoy meeting her.

Dave

You DID do the math. I've no idea which is correct, and am now totally confused. :)

I'd think the hollandamericablog would be authorative, but who knows. She handed me a copy of a newspaper article that had been written about her, but I didn't save it. She handed out quite a few of those ... perhaps someone here on CC still has one and can enlighten us?

I've still have the article that she gave us on that cruise last Nov. It states that she has 2,558 days on HAL. She spends about 10 a year at sea. Also said she books with AAA and she does not care where her cabin is or what it looks like. I'm not sure how old this article is (no date on it).

Marilyn

I've still have the article that she gave us on that cruise last Nov. It states that she has 2,558 days on HAL. She spends about 10 a year at sea. Also said she books with AAA and she does not care where her cabin is or what it looks like. I'm not sure how old this article is (no date on it).

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn! :) If that is the article copied onto pink paper, she told me it was from "a few years back". I didn't realize it was undated. From what's been found so far ... my guess is that the current estimate of 5,000 days would be pretty accurate.

Nice to bump into you again!

From what's been found so far ... my guess is that the current estimate of 5,000 days would be pretty accurate.
If she was "over 5000" in Mar 2008 as KK says, plus at least 300 for 3 years, that would put her close to or a litlle over 6,000.

Take this one step further: what do you think (realistically) are the down sides to living on a cruise ship?
Never seeing anyplace very far from a port. Never being able to participate in any social activities like clubs.

Take this one step further: what do you think (realistically) are the down sides to living on a cruise ship?

Being away from family members (although in some families, that might be a good thing. :eek:) Small living space, limited storage space, not my own furniture and "stuff," limited TV choices, slow internet come to mind. I would definitely get a kindle because any ship's library is going to be insufficient for someone who likes to read and is on board all the time.

I don't realize it when I'm on a cruise, but I miss my garden and the birds that we feed. Whenever we get back from a cruise, especially a TA or one with a lot of sea days, I am excited to see trees and flowers and hear the birds.

We also miss our birds and wildlife.

We are barely in the house 5 minutes and DH is outside filling the 6 bird feeders, replacing the deer corn, hanging up new suet cakes, cleaning out all 3 bird baths.

DH is an avid reader and would have to get a kindle if we lived on a ship -- then have to hunt an internet cafe to download new books. When HAL started the new Explorer's Cafe, Internet and Library concept -- it was great -- tons of books -- but no new books have been added.

Agree about limited channels and shows to watch on the TV.

Love our lounge chairs at home -- cook some foods that aren't available on a ship -- live in a small area for years at a time -- one of us would kill the other one.

Nope -- we couldn't live on a ship.

Don't count on a huge 'discount'. Probably something off but I wouldn't imagine deeply discounted.

I think the 'benefits' are a bit less tangible but very valuable, nonetheless.

Whatever the cost it would be probably cheaper than a retirement home or a nursing home.

We also miss our birds and wildlife.

We are barely in the house 5 minutes and DH is outside filling the 6 bird feeders, replacing the deer corn, hanging up new suet cakes, cleaning out all 3 bird baths.

DH is an avid reader and would have to get a kindle if we lived on a ship -- then have to hunt an internet cafe to download new books. When HAL started the new Explorer's Cafe, Internet and Library concept -- it was great -- tons of books -- but no new books have been added.

Agree about limited channels and shows to watch on the TV.

Love our lounge chairs at home -- cook some foods that aren't available on a ship -- live in a small area for years at a time -- one of us would kill the other one.

Nope -- we couldn't live on a ship.

LOL! I thought of the question as something to do if I were widowed. No way could we both live on the ship. Not unless we could afford the penthouse!

Around here, assisted living doesn't include much "assistance." The basic entry-level fee where my aunt is includes about what you'd get on a cruise, minus the travel. Meals, your room made up, a load or two of laundry each week, trivia quizzes, bingo, movies, some entertainment. Quite a few of the residents where she is moved there as a retirement home, not because of medical needs, although more care/assistance is available if needed (for a price).

I believe this is called Independent Living, which is different from Assisted Living and usually cheaper. There are different facilities but Independent Living is very much like cruise ship, but without the service. Rooms are about the same size but food not nearly so good. I would choose the cruise ship any day.

Archived