Elegant Nights vs. Formal Nights

karatemom2

PLEASE don't talk Princess into dropping the formal nights. I LOVE to dress up and take my beautiful lady dining and dancing. (I'll sometimes dress down to a tux, but still keep making it a beautiful evening.) That's one of the best parts of cruising, as we don't get to do it very often at home. (And we are not "playing dress up"... that's who we are.) ... and we don't do pictures much any more. That's not the point.

From what I have been reading, "elegant night" on Carnival means you wear the jeans without the holes.

I love to cruise but DH does not like to dress up so we don't. However, we see no reason to deprive ourselves of the MDR dinner so we dress nice but not formal. I really don't see what all the fuss is about. We all pay for our cruise and as long as we are respectful of the choices of others, how we dress doesn't bother anyone unless they want to be bothered.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

I don't disagree as I like to dress up as well, but lately it seems as if Princess is completely unwilling to stand by its own guidelines and just about anything goes on formal evenings. On our most recent cruise as an example it was not just lack of jackets and ties - it was men in polos, short sleeved hawaiian style shirts and even what basically were long sleeved t-shirts. And some of the women were just as underdressed in casual capris, casual skirts and glorified t-shirts.

So I guess I am left to wonder why even have a formal dress code if there is such a wide berth given to those who choose not to comply. It already appears to be considered acceptable.

Well, I'm sure you remember what my hubby was wearing on New year's Eve on the Golden, a formal night. He honestly meant to change into his suit as we thought we would be given one of those pagers at the dining room door and we'll have at least 20 minutes to return to our cabin. But when we got to the door, we were waved in despite our "but...but...but" and taken to a table. So obviously the hostess thought it was a cute outfit or just didn't care. It was so funny when the captain and his group sat down to the table next to us. But his outfit did work well for the midnight festivities.

I, too, like to dress up on a cruise. I have no opportunity to do it at home, so I enjoy being able to wear my good jewelry and a long dress when I cruise. I also enjoy seeing other people's "dress-up" clothes.

For the most part, I don't care what other people wear, however, the MDR is not MacDonalds, and I don't think cut-offs and flip flops are appropriate for dinner in a nice restaurant. I see way too much of that at home.

My wife and I will be going on our first cruise, and we do not plan on attending the formal dinners. My question is this: Do they reserve their best dinners for formal night?

This is to answer Gus100's question: The dinners on formal nights tend to be the fanciest dinners of the cruise (and in my opinion, the best). Usually one of them has the lobster and shrimp dish, as well as a beef wellington, and other more high-end dishes. Although some of the main dining room dishes appear in the buffet, the fancier ones won't be there. If you want these fancier dishes, just wear nice clothes on formal nights---they don't have to be formal, and chances are you will have no trouble getting into the main dining room.

i enjoy formal nights. i rarely get a chance to dress up at home so i do like to glam up on the ship. i like the atmosphere on a formal night, it feels classier and more like i imagine the old cruise days were like. classier.

so, op karatemom2, i prefer to keep the formal night and wish it was enforced. for those who don't like to dress up i do think having the better entrees available in the buffet would keep a lot more people happy.

Well' date=' I'm sure you remember what my hubby was wearing on New year's Eve on the Golden, a formal night. He honestly meant to change into his suit as we thought we would be given one of those pagers at the dining room door and we'll have at least 20 minutes to return to our cabin. But when we got to the door, we were waved in despite our "but...but...but" and taken to a table. So obviously the hostess thought it was a cute outfit or just didn't care. It was so funny when the captain and his group sat down to the table next to us. But his outfit did work well for the midnight festivities.[/quote']

Hi Patty, Yes I do remember! It was fun and at least in the spirit of the evening for sure!:D

The point of view of many has been "it is my vacation and if I do not wish to follow the rules for the dining rooms on formal night I do not have to."

In other words, I can dress the way I want on my vacation.

But let's look at this from another viewpoint.

The rules for the buffet say must wear a shirt or coverup. Also must wear shoes, flip-flops or some other foot covering.

Is it OK to say "It is my vacation and I can go barefooted and without a shirt to the buffet"?

On my one and only Carnival cruise back in 1986 it wasn't even formal on formal nights. It was more semiformal. On my first Princess cruise in 1991 they had 2 formal nights and 2 semiformal nights. So my problem with relaxing the dress code is if you give and inch they will take a yard. My fear would be that it would just turn into free style NCL on all nights with cut offs and tank tops. Princess offers enough alternative venues to eat at on formal night if you don't want to dress.

The point of view of many has been "it is my vacation and if I do not wish to follow the rules for the dining rooms on formal night I do not have to."

The rules for the buffet say must wear a shirt or coverup. Also must wear shoes, flip-flops or some other foot covering.

Is it OK to say "It is my vacation and I can go barefooted and without a shirt to the buffet"?

Lets face it, there's a big difference between going casual on a formal night in the dining room & not wearing shoes or a shirt to the buffet.

I don't disagree as I like to dress up as well, but lately it seems as if Princess is completely unwilling to stand by its own guidelines and just about anything goes on formal evenings. On our most recent cruise as an example it was not just lack of jackets and ties - it was men in polos, short sleeved hawaiian style shirts and even what basically were long sleeved t-shirts. And some of the women were just as underdressed in casual capris, casual skirts and glorified t-shirts.

So I guess I am left to wonder why even have a formal dress code if there is such a wide berth given to those who choose not to comply. It already appears to be considered acceptable.

I completely agree with everything you said. I think Princess already is halfway to Carnival's suggested attire without saying so. The Star Princess in April was extremely casual. The only concession of a family of passengers at the next table is that they didn't wear their usual cargo shorts at dinner on formal nights, but dockers and polo shirts instead. If that is what is going to be allowed, then I think Carnival is doing it the right way. At least there is no expectation that people will be dressed formally. Princess sets that expectation in the minds of its passengers and then some of them are sorely irritated when reality does not comply.

FWIW- we always dress for formal nights. DH is that rare man who truly enjoys wearing his tux, and I usually wear a formal gown or fancy cocktail dress.

Your question "caught";) my attention.

When I and a friend cruise (my husband won't fly, so thus I go with a friend.) and they have "formal/elegant" nights, we like to dress to the "9's." The reason being, we don't get to do this at home.

I did not read all the resonses, but someone mentioned that was one way for the ship to make money on pictures. I agree, but we take "other" pictures to and not just on formal/elegant nights.

Actually we are out of the norm, but we get complimented all the time, as we "dress up" every night when we eat at the "formal" dining rooms. We would not do this if eating in the buffet area.

As for Carnival and Princess (we just got off Princess in April), we have always dress up when eating in the evening. I will say, we were with a group of 8 at the table in the formal dining room. My friend and I were the only ones dressed up more, but it does not bother us, and it didn't seem to bother the others either. They did compliment on how nice we looked. For formal night on the Princess they dressed a "tad" better but not much, but that was OK with us. Actually when leaving the dining room, the Maitre-d stopped me and started singing to me, "pretty lady." I was embarrassed, but flattered at the same time.

Agree 100%

Also completely agree. I do not want to lug 2 extra bags with me so I can dress up on formal night. I am just going to wear a pair of slacks and a button down shirt (no tie). If someone in the dining room has a problem with what I am wearing, they can just let me know. I just hope I don't ruin any cruisers dinner that night with what I am wearing. I am just glad I do not have to fly in like many of you. I can't imagine paying for extra baggage on a plane.

I completely agree with everything you said. I think Princess already is halfway to Carnival's suggested attire without saying so. The Star Princess in April was extremely casual. The only concession of a family of passengers at the next table is that they didn't wear their usual cargo shorts at dinner on formal nights, but dockers and polo shirts instead. If that is what is going to be allowed, then I think Carnival is doing it the right way. At least there is no expectation that people will be dressed formally. Princess sets that expectation in the minds of its passengers and then some of them are sorely irritated when reality does not comply.

FWIW- we always dress for formal nights. DH is that rare man who truly enjoys wearing his tux, and I usually wear a formal gown or fancy cocktail dress.

We were on the same trip and yes it was very casual. What is puzzling is why should people be so irritated if other don't dress up. They are still dressed as formally as they desire so why be upset if a few others are only casual?

It does seem as though Princess has adopted the same stance as Carnival even though they don't publicize it. Maybe when the new ships are introduced things will change. ;)

Lets face it, there's a big difference between going casual on a formal night in the dining room & not wearing shoes or a shirt to the buffet.

Okay, granted...so how about wearing shorts or a sleeveless muscle shirt to the MDR? Why draw the line at that if I'm paying for my vacation?

I think Princess would make this issue go away if on formal nights, they had a MDR for formal attire and one for smart casual. That way folks who want to dress up can do so and those who don't would not be compelled.

I usually read on CC that the biggest complaint from folks about this issue is that if you do not go to the MDR on formal nights you don't get the "special" dinner selections (Lobster I guess). Wouldn't that solve the problem?

Mike

My wife and I will be going on our first cruise, and we do not plan on attending the formal dinners. My question is this: Do they reserve their best dinners for formal night?

I think it all depends on what you call "best dinners". If you want lobster in the MDR that will be served on formal night.

You do have an option though, for a wonderful meal. Plan to eat at one of the specialty restaurants. They cost additional money, but are very good.

Mike

Excellent point!! :D

Also completely agree. I do not want to lug 2 extra bags with me so I can dress up on formal night. I am just going to wear a pair of slacks and a button down shirt (no tie).... I am just glad I do not have to fly in like many of you. I can't imagine paying for extra baggage on a plane.

Yep, that nonexistent tie would have taken up a lot of valuable luggage space, all right. And a lightweight sport coat? Two big extra bags for sure.

Okay, granted...so how about wearing shorts or a sleeveless muscle shirt to the MDR? Why draw the line at that if I'm paying for my vacation?

Personally I don't care what others wear as long as I can't smell them from my table for 2. We can all interpret what the meaning of casual is and come up with loads of variations & Princess is beginning to accept almost all variations of them even on formal nights. Why people get upset if a few other don't conform to formal attire is still a mystery to me since they can still dress as they please & what others do takes nothing away from their enjoyment as I see it. We gave up on the formal thing years ago when Princess began to ignore our lack of dress & am so much happier for it.

I think Princess would make this issue go away if on formal nights, they had a MDR for formal attire and one for smart casual. That way folks who want to dress up can do so and those who don't would not be compelled.

I usually read on CC that the biggest complaint from folks about this issue is that if you do not go to the MDR on formal nights you don't get the "special" dinner selections (Lobster I guess). Wouldn't that solve the problem?

Mike

You make it sound much to easy. :D I would love to hear some logical arguments against it.

Yep, that nonexistent tie would have taken up a lot of valuable luggage space, all right. And a lightweight sport coat? Two big extra bags for sure.

Where does it say that a tie is a necessity? They dropped that from their description about 10 years ago. ;)

Archived