Celtic Charms Cruise and Lack of Customer Service

While we thoroughly enjoyed the cruise--once we actually got there--we were very disappointed with Regent's air arrangements and their lack of customer service. We opted to pay the air deviation fee so we could select the airline. However, Regent did not adhere to my request for a lenghty connecting time in Chicago and booked us on a very tight connection. Long story short, we missed the transatlantic flight and had to overnight in Chicago. Since our cruise had been under deposit before the added-value free hotel stay was included, we paid extra for it--and lost it all. Regent's response: "not our problem." While I totally understand that they are not responsible for airline delays (mechanical or otherwise), they are partly to blame for booking us on such a ridiculous (for Chicago) connection. On the return, they claimed they could not fly us home the day the cruise ended, so we had to stay overnight at the airport. And since we didn't fly home that day, we didn't qualify for the return transfers! This has never happened to us on other cruise lines. Their attitude was "you didn't take our flights, you're on your own," while I thought an air deviation fee entitled us to request the flights of our choice. They also told us that the return flight we wanted (UA at 1:00 p.m.) was "too early," yet the Delta flight they wanted to put us on left at the same time. All in all, there was way too much stress involved and the added costs to us in time, money and aggravation were substantial. Seriously considering not booking Regent again.

This is what happens when Regent's excellent air department in Ft Lauderdale gets replaced by Oceania's air department in Miami. I, too, have had issues with Regent (I should say PCH) air since the change was made. I would complain loudly and frequently. I would also submit for collection to your insurance company for all extra expenses.

I would write to Gare O'neil [sp] or whomever has replaced him. If that doesn't work, take it to Mark Conroy. This is a PCH caused problem that will continue to cause Regent a black eye.

I always do my own air to avoid stuff like this; however, Regent really dropped the ball. Definitely you need to take it to a higher level. The idea that they could not fly you home on the day the cruise ended is ridiculous. Southampton is not some place in a 3rd world country. It is close to LHR and LGW. No excuses. They need to fix this. Did you book through a travel agent? If so, they should go to bat for you (however, they should have done that previously to prevent a too close connection in Chicago--I have had those and have missed a TA flight too--as well as preventing the overnight at the airport).

Really feel sorry for the OP but, wondering why they as well as their TA accepted the flights offered by Regent on both ends. I recently deviated on a return from Barcelona to Houston and very carefully chose my flights and layover time and location. Our best connection was thru Newark on Continental with only one flight from Barcelona to Newark and they had a legal connection with only a 1 1/2 hour time between flights. Having been thru Newark before, I knew I didn't want that tight a connection with needing to go thru immigration, customs and then back thru security so I chose the next flight to Houston and gave those flights to my TA with the instructions that I was aware of the earlier flight but, didn't want it.

A few hours later I got my flights without extra charge. The moral here is that you need to get your own flights; itasoftware.com is without doubt the best sight to plan your flights. It covers flights for every airline in the world except Jet Blue and Southwest and for sure any airline Regent would put you on.

Am mystified why the OP and the TA accepted what they knew was a too short connection at an airport like O'Hare known for delays?? You are paying the deviation fee so you can and should be firm with what you will accept and what you won't accept. Regent may try to find flights where they can save money but, you don't pay the deviation fee until you are satisfied with the flights. Be firm as there is no limit to the number of tries for the right flight. Almost forgot, give Regent several acceptable options and itasoftware.com will have them and more. Don't worry about the price shown on the website; Regent has negotiated prices that won't show on any site. Our choice was close to the most expensive yet we got it without upcharge.

Hope your next experience is better.

This is what happens when Regent's excellent air department in Ft Lauderdale gets replaced by Oceania's air department in Miami. I, too, have had issues with Regent (I should say PCH) air since the change was made. I would complain loudly and frequently. I would also submit for collection to your insurance company for all extra expenses.

I would write to Gare O'neil [sp] or whomever has replaced him. If that doesn't work, take it to Mark Conroy. This is a PCH caused problem that will continue to cause Regent a black eye.

Thanks, Mark. The change in operations would explain why they were so unresponsive. We did the Alaska cruise with Regent two years ago and also did an air deviation and had no problems.

I did try to address these issues on board with Destination Services--and got nowhere. When I returned home, I did write a lenghty letter to Mark Conroy.

Not holding my breath though.

Really feel sorry for the OP but, wondering why they as well as their TA accepted the flights offered by Regent on both ends. I recently deviated on a return from Barcelona to Houston and very carefully chose my flights and layover time and location. Our best connection was thru Newark on Continental with only one flight from Barcelona to Newark and they had a legal connection with only a 1 1/2 hour time between flights. Having been thru Newark before, I knew I didn't want that tight a connection with needing to go thru immigration, customs and then back thru security so I chose the next flight to Houston and gave those flights to my TA with the instructions that I was aware of the earlier flight but, didn't want it.

A few hours later I got my flights without extra charge. The moral here is that you need to get your own flights; itasoftware.com is without doubt the best sight to plan your flights. It covers flights for every airline in the world except Jet Blue and Southwest and for sure any airline Regent would put you on.

Am mystified why the OP and the TA accepted what they knew was a too short connection at an airport like O'Hare known for delays?? You are paying the deviation fee so you can and should be firm with what you will accept and what you won't accept. Regent may try to find flights where they can save money but, you don't pay the deviation fee until you are satisfied with the flights. Be firm as there is no limit to the number of tries for the right flight. Almost forgot, give Regent several acceptable options and itasoftware.com will have them and more. Don't worry about the price shown on the website; Regent has negotiated prices that won't show on any site. Our choice was close to the most expensive yet we got it without upcharge.

Hope your next experience is better.

I provided the flights to our TA, and he forwarded them to Regent. He called me while he had Regent on the other line to say that the earlier flight out of MCI that I wanted was a no-op. I knew better because I use that flight all the time on my trips to Europe. I even went back to UA's website to double-check. Regent didn't listen. I tried again after they sent the schedule, but again they wouldn't budge.

On the return, they claimed the UA departure at 1:00--something was "too early" (according to our TA) and that the later flights didn't have discounted Business Class seats available. So, they offered us flights on the next day on CO via IAH, which I much prefer anyway (the airline that is). I assumed our return transfers would be included but Regent said "no" because we didn't return the same day as the ship's arrival. They also brought up the fact that we didn't take the DL flight they offered--that one had not been on my list of preferred flights.

All in all, not a happy experience.

I always do my own air to avoid stuff like this; however, Regent really dropped the ball. Definitely you need to take it to a higher level. The idea that they could not fly you home on the day the cruise ended is ridiculous. Southampton is not some place in a 3rd world country. It is close to LHR and LGW. No excuses. They need to fix this. Did you book through a travel agent? If so, they should go to bat for you (however, they should have done that previously to prevent a too close connection in Chicago--I have had those and have missed a TA flight too--as well as preventing the overnight at the airport).

I toyed with the idea of doing our own air, but then I thought of all the things that can and do go wrong. The Icelandic vulcanic ash delays come to mind. I thought if Regent did the air, they would protect us. I also naively assumed that Regent would automatically rebook us on the next flight to London or reroute us via another European airport. However, UA proved most uncooperative.

We did book via a TA, and he tried his best to help but didn't get anywhere with Regent either. I'm hoping my letter to Mark Conroy will bring a response. I'll publish it here when I get it.

LTT43: Just wanted to say that I'm so sorry you experienced all that hassle and that I hope that Mr. Conroy responds properly.

Glad that you enjoyed the cruise itself, but I know that travel aggravations can put a real damper on one's pleasures and memories.

I had a somewhat lengthy battle with Regent Air recently planning a cruise from Safaga to BCN (ultimately CNX and re-booked BCN-DXB). Below is a short tell of the tape (I copied out of an earlier post onthe Regent Roll Calls Board) and some lessons I learned (not necessarily applicable here).

"Little Background - There are three of us (myself, DH and cousin). I fly a lot for business so I have a fair number of FF miles (*A) to use. DH and I orgininate out of TUS and cousin out of LAX. As soon as I could (330 days out) I booked Business Class for DH using FFmile from TUS to CAI ending up with LH 582 arriving in CAI at 1510.

Now to request a matching Air Deviation with the Business Class upgrade through Regent Air.

First off, can't book Regent Air deviations until 270 days out (knew that going in).

Second off, need to mention I'm a real pain in the backside to deal with:rolleyes:. Our desires were to match flights. Failing in that; needed to have cousin and I on same flights going to and while overseas (she gets a bit anxious changing planes in overseas airports and since we are all seniors none of us move as quick as we used to:o). Also, our preference was to stay on *A flights since cuz and I are both *A FF. Final preference was to arrive in CAI within an hour or so of DH. So I will admit a tough set of wants.

The first four or five attempts were unsuccessful; couldn't even get coach on those flights! I think I've been scratched off my TA and Regent Air Department's Christmas Card list. Finally, my TA got me and Regent Air and LH on the same phone call and we arrived at a suitable solution. Cuz and I are "waitlisted" on the same itinerary from IAH to FRA to CAI and home as DH. LH seems to think we'll clear with high probability. Failing that we have the option to guarentee C at time of final payment for an additional fee (basically upgrading the ticket class (over and above what Regent buys) to one that is upgradable to C class). Sort of like paying for a fully refundable coach seat that is upgradable as opposed to a highly discounted coach seat that is not upgradable with FF miles.

As an aside here are some things I learned:

1. Regent will not book any flights with Egypt Air

2. You can get wait listed for flights when using an air deviation

3. If the flights you want are "not available" you can pay a bit more to lock in the flights you want

4. If you depart from one gateway city (LAX) and return via another (Cuz's return is FRA to SFO to LAX) you pay a "second" air deviation fee (just like I do flying out of TUS (not a Regent Gateway))

5. When booking Regent Air you have to stay in one set of "code shares." So the UA flight from LAX to ZUR that could connect to a LX flight ZUR to CAI (getting Cuz and I in an hour before DH) couldn't be booked because the LX continuation did not carry a UA codeshare. There is no req't to stay on one airline's metal but apparently have to have single airline flight codes, if possible.

There's probably some special punishment in the hereafter for folks like me that put TAs through this kind of pain."

I must add at this point that when we re-booked the BCN-DBX cruise Cuz and I were able to get exactly the flights we wanted (to match DH's FF award flights) on the first go. Part of that is BCN and DBX are a heck of a lot easier to work with than CAI, especially given Regent's policy of not using Egypt Air.

Greg

I agree with Marc. Try contacting Gair O'Neill who is the Director of Guest Relations. Or you could try calling Mimi at 954-940-7480. Hope there is a hooray for you down the road. I have been dealing with them over an injury incurred on a tender on this cruise. Not even a small victory. At least not yet!

I had a somewhat lengthy battle with Regent Air recently planning a cruise from Safaga to BCN (ultimately CNX and re-booked BCN-DXB). Below is a short tell of the tape (I copied out of an earlier post onthe Regent Roll Calls Board) and some lessons I learned (not necessarily applicable here).

"Little Background - There are three of us (myself, DH and cousin). I fly a lot for business so I have a fair number of FF miles (*A) to use. DH and I orgininate out of TUS and cousin out of LAX. As soon as I could (330 days out) I booked Business Class for DH using FFmile from TUS to CAI ending up with LH 582 arriving in CAI at 1510.

Now to request a matching Air Deviation with the Business Class upgrade through Regent Air.

First off, can't book Regent Air deviations until 270 days out (knew that going in).

Second off, need to mention I'm a real pain in the backside to deal with:rolleyes:. Our desires were to match flights. Failing in that; needed to have cousin and I on same flights going to and while overseas (she gets a bit anxious changing planes in overseas airports and since we are all seniors none of us move as quick as we used to:o). Also, our preference was to stay on *A flights since cuz and I are both *A FF. Final preference was to arrive in CAI within an hour or so of DH. So I will admit a tough set of wants.

The first four or five attempts were unsuccessful; couldn't even get coach on those flights! I think I've been scratched off my TA and Regent Air Department's Christmas Card list. Finally, my TA got me and Regent Air and LH on the same phone call and we arrived at a suitable solution. Cuz and I are "waitlisted" on the same itinerary from IAH to FRA to CAI and home as DH. LH seems to think we'll clear with high probability. Failing that we have the option to guarentee C at time of final payment for an additional fee (basically upgrading the ticket class (over and above what Regent buys) to one that is upgradable to C class). Sort of like paying for a fully refundable coach seat that is upgradable as opposed to a highly discounted coach seat that is not upgradable with FF miles.

As an aside here are some things I learned:

1. Regent will not book any flights with Egypt Air

2. You can get wait listed for flights when using an air deviation

3. If the flights you want are "not available" you can pay a bit more to lock in the flights you want

4. If you depart from one gateway city (LAX) and return via another (Cuz's return is FRA to SFO to LAX) you pay a "second" air deviation fee (just like I do flying out of TUS (not a Regent Gateway))

5. When booking Regent Air you have to stay in one set of "code shares." So the UA flight from LAX to ZUR that could connect to a LX flight ZUR to CAI (getting Cuz and I in an hour before DH) couldn't be booked because the LX continuation did not carry a UA codeshare. There is no req't to stay on one airline's metal but apparently have to have single airline flight codes, if possible.

There's probably some special punishment in the hereafter for folks like me that put TAs through this kind of pain."

I must add at this point that when we re-booked the BCN-DBX cruise Cuz and I were able to get exactly the flights we wanted (to match DH's FF award flights) on the first go. Part of that is BCN and DBX are a heck of a lot easier to work with than CAI, especially given Regent's policy of not using Egypt Air.

Greg

What a fascinating story, Greg! You sound like my kind of travel person. I used to be a TA myself (in a previous life) and now always need to sort out my own flight schedule. I requested Star Alliance flights because that's where my FF miles are--Regent's choice was clearly DL. We also paid in add-on because K.C. is not a Regent gateway city.

Good to know about the waitlist possibility. That might come in handy if we cruise with Regent again. On HAC we always got the LH flights we requested.

I saw the coding (airline restrictions) on our ticket receipts. Clearly, it allowed a rebooking via LH, but UA was not about to yield.

Birgit

Archived