Letting folks know we won't be dining--how?

Naismith

The idea of assigned seating is so you dine with the same people each night and get to know each other. GO TO ANYTIME DINING! that way you still get the same everything if you ask for a shared table, without ruining the experience for others.

So I am not quite understanding how you will not get the cruise you paid for by eating in the ATD room?

A couple of things. One is that we wouldn't have to meet new strangers every night. That's huge. Also, we would be sitting in the same place every time we entered the room. That is comforting. Also that we would have a definite time and would not have to wait. I don't know if there is any data about how things are going with ATD nowadays, and if it really is better. But we know folks who have had long waits (which is one of the things my husband hates about dining out), so that is a concern.

We always go to our Traditional seating except when we go to a specialty restaurant. Even then, we don't go to a specialty restaurant on every cruise. Everyone I know and cruise with do the same.

Hmmn. I hadn't realized that. I had no idea that people had such devotion to Traditional. You really might consider asking Princess to make that more clear, because I didn't get that at all from their literature, that Traditional is an all-or-nothing commitment. So what I am hearing is that you prefer folks not do Traditional if they are not going to dress up for formal night, since missing two nights out of six would not be acceptable?

This is my sixth or seventh cruise and I was unaware of these unwritten rules.

The table number is on your key card. Just call the restaurant from your cabin - the call is free.

Thanks for actually answering my question. Never used the phone much; did not think of that.

(not sure if you have ever sat at a table before where tablemates don't show up, but it is a very uncomfortable feeling at times)

Well, sure we have, but I never thought of it as uncomfortable. Our favorite tablemates ever were on a cruise five years ago, a 4 or 5 night cruise. We really enjoyed talking with one couple, but didn't see them for a few more nights. I know that one of those was a late excursion by us (which we had told them would likely happen) and I don't remember what the other was--whether it was us or them who didn't show. But later we enjoyed another dinner with them, talking about the various things that each of us had done in the meantime. I did not perceive that they thought we were rude for doing an excursion that kept us from dinner; there was no intimation of it. So I didn't realize it would be such a problem to have a similar pattern of intermittent dinner attendance at the upcoming cruise.

But, as with other posts by passengers who ask a question but don't like the answer they receive,

That is so ugly. I am really trying to learn here. What playground bullies you people can be! Yes, I raised a question about where one person's rights end and others begin, which is a concern on cruise ships that crops up in a variety of different contexts (crying babies, hallways clogged by scooters, etc.).

...in traditional you would be showing up sort of like arriving at the theater just before the last act and asking your seat mates to fill you in on the rest of the play.

I would never ask my seat mates to fill us in on the rest of the play. I would just pick it up there and run with it, wherever they were. For the 45 minutes that I am at a formal dinner setting, I agree to listen more than talk and close my mouth when chewing. I didn't realize what a commitment to perform to others expectations that I was making.

Why on earth do you think traditional is a better fit with your needs and desires?

Oh, clearly because I am too stupid to know better. This attitude is as bad as high school, all the popular kids making fun of us. And it makes me wonder what other unwritten rules that I am breaking. So now rather than looking forward to the cruise, I am dreading it.

I hadn't realized that. I had no idea that people had such devotion to Traditional. You really might consider asking Princess to make that more clear, because I didn't get that at all from their literature, that Traditional is an all-or-nothing commitment. So what I am hearing is that you prefer folks not do Traditional if they are not going to dress up for formal night, since missing two nights out of six would not be acceptable?
I'm not sure you understand Traditional vs. Anytime dining. One books Traditional because they enjoy eating at the same time at the same table with the same people every night with few exceptions such as going to a specialty restaurant. It's not "loyalty" but an expectation. It has nothing to do with formal or Smart Casual nights as the dress code is exactly the same in both Traditional and Anytime. The menus and service are also the same. If one wants flexibility to eat at a different time most nights or whether to eat in the dining room, they'd choose Anytime. There's little difference between the two and if you're concerned about a wait, you can make a reservation. This is why we are questioning your tenacity to book Traditional and not switch to Anytime dining as it gives you the options you appear to want.

Why would you be dreading your cruise just because you don't like the answers you got here? I really wouldn't let anything posted here ruin my anticipation about a cruise. I understand you are annoyed at some of the responses, but think about how you first phrased your question. You basically stated that you had no intention of using your Traditional dining space for the first 5 nights of your cruise and just planned to show up the final two nights. If I were your tablemate in such a circumstance I would probably find that awkward and I think the people responding here were thinking about the bigger picture. It might have been different response if you said you just planned to miss a couple of nights here or there, but the way you made it sound you were basically going to be AWOL for the majority of the cruise just to pop in at the end. So that is what people responded to.

Under that circumstance you described is just seemed to make the most sense to use Anytime Dining. You would not wait if you were to share a table and the menu, service and surroundings are the same so it really wouldn't be any different then showing up on the second to last day in Traditional to sit with people you hadn't met all week. It would be the same experience in Anytime Dining and by going that route you would free up a space in Traditional Dining that you by your own admission were barely going to use. So you got answers that corresponded to your description of the circumstances. You are free to take the suggestions or ignore them. Why you would let that impact your cruise? Stay with Traditional if that is what you want to do, let the Maitre D' know you will not be there the first 5 nights and then they can work around that. If your tablemates aren't happy about it then I'm sure the Maitre D' will move people around to keep you and everyone else at your table happy and all will be fine when you come in to dine. No big deal.

One books Traditional because they enjoy eating at the same time at the same table with the same people every night with few exceptions such as going to a specialty restaurant.

And where is that written in the Princess literature>

I totally get the same table/same time/same people. If we eat in a dining room, we ate there. I just didn't get the "few exceptions."

It has nothing to do with formal or Smart Casual nights as the dress code is exactly the same in both Traditional and Anytime.

The reason I think wonder whether it applies is that every thread on formal attire includes the comment, "but you can always go to the buffet that night." Which is taking people out of the dining room. Or is that an allowable exception?

This is why we are questioning your tenacity to book Traditional and not switch to Anytime dining as it gives you the options you appear to want.

I really don't have any tenacity on the issue. Just because a zillion people pile on agreeing that I made a mistake does not mean that I am tenacious.

Well, enough.

A couple of things. One is that we wouldn't have to meet new strangers every night. That's huge. Also, we would be sitting in the same place every time we entered the room. That is comforting.

If you are only going the last two evenings, then the first of those two evenings the other people will be new strangers. Basically, only on the last evening of the two nights would these people only be semi-strangers.

Hmmn. I hadn't realized that. I had no idea that people had such devotion to Traditional. You really might consider asking Princess to make that more clear, because I didn't get that at all from their literature, that Traditional is an all-or-nothing commitment. So what I am hearing is that you prefer folks not do Traditional if they are not going to dress up for formal night, since missing two nights out of six would not be acceptable?

You are correct that it is not necessary to be at traditional eveny evening. I have seen on almost every cruise some people who show up every evening except formal nights and also some who show up only on formal nights.

Even if nobody shows up at a table in traditional dining, the waitstaff have to set up that table as if everyone will be there and then take it all away later in the meal.

I too would be disappointed if we were on Traditional Dining and found our tablemates missing for most of the cruise. One of the reasons for booking Traditional is to have the same tablemates each night and to get to know them.

We have done Anytime dining on Oceania and Azamara and really love it. On Princess smaller ships which we normally cruise on, it is not available but we will be on the Emerald next year on a port extensive itinerary and we have chosen Anytime for that reason and also to compare the experience to the other two lines.

What not try it. You will probably find you love it and if you have to wait, well does it really matter as you are on a cruise and you don't have to be somewhere in a hurry.

Jennie

Why not book a table for 2 in Traditional Dining? That way you can have your assigned seat and time, and not have to worry about "reporting in" if you will be skipping the meal. The 2 top tables are close enough together that you can have a conversation with your neighbors if all parties are willing, but there is still that separation bx the tables if you want to dine alone.:)

So here are my own thoughts on this topic…

Yes, this is YOUR cruise and you may make whatever dining choice you like. If you prefer the idea of an assigned table at an assigned time with the same waiter and tablemates, then Traditional is right for you.

However, in your case, you won’t be there for half of the meals, so this WOULD, honestly, impact the dynamic of the table for the others who will be there. You may take that into consideration or not – again, up to you. You’ve explained your reasons for why you will and will not be there. Good reasons, but it seems that others on the boards here, given the same circumstances, would make a different dining choice than the one you are making (and I agree with all of them).

I’m sorry you feel this thread is getting unfriendly, but I guess we’re all now wondering why you posed the question in the first place. You asked for everyone’s thoughts and opinions, and you received many (more than 30 responses). The consensus, so far, is unanimous, and everyone has made an effort to politely explain their responses. We all seem to agree that ATD is a better choice for you and for others (your potential tablemates, other passengers on the Traditional dining waiting list, etc.). Rather than taking our advice, which you did solicit, you’re sticking to your guns. You’re free to do so, and if you do, I hope your tablemates are understanding folks. But please don’t be frustrated by everyone here who answered your question, only to hear you don’t like their answers.

Naismith, maybe, just maybe the reason you feel everyone is piling on you is because skipping 5 of 7 nights in traditional dining is not the courteous thing to do. Knowing several of the people that have responded to your original question and the vast number of Princess cruises they have been on, maybe they could be right. Did you ever consider that? There to my knowledge is no "written rule" about how many nights it's appropriate to miss in traditional dining but I do know missing well over half of the cruise is not common courtesy to your fellow table mates.

Many responders have said the same thing including my original answer to your post, why not switch to ATD. You just don't seem to or want to understand that there are quite a few passengers that requested traditional dining that can't get it because it if almost always full. Those people want to eat in traditional dining every night or nearly every night. It is beyond me why it would be so important to you to eat with the same people for two nights and miss five. I personally would not enjoy you at my table if you missed the first five nights and showed up on the 6th and I'm quite sure many others would feel the same.

You might also consider that you very well could meet people on the ship during the first five days that you enjoy their company and could easily dine with them in ATD the last two nights. However if you insist on sticking with traditional for the last two nights you will be stuck with people you have probably never seen or met and I doubt they are going to be thrilled that you are there.

One books Traditional because they enjoy eating at the same time at the same table with the same people every night with few exceptions such as going to a specialty restaurant.

One might book traditional because they NEVER want to have

to wait for a table, as they might in anytime.

There is no princess requirement that folks show up a minimum

number of times when they have booked traditional, people

are free to do as they wish.

On a cruise last year, I unexpectedly ran into a waiter I knew

from 10 years before. I moved to his station for the rest of

the cruise. I had no idea that I should have foregone that

enjoyment because of some unwritten rule.

Perhaps look at it from a different angle..

Instead of saying you will be skipping 5 of 7, think of it as you will be only using 2 of 7. This means you will basically be eating with strangers one night, then people you kind of know another, and depending on how many nights in between, will know each other much better than you.

Secondly, there are people for whom doing TD all nights is a very important part of their cruise experience who may be waitlisted. By moving to anytime you will be offering a limited resource to someone who can, quite honestly, make better use of it than you do. You may not be aware that Traditional Dining is usually booked out and there are people waiting to see if they can get in.

You are certainly welcome to make this choice, but based on what you perceive to be the benefits, the tradeoff doesn't seem to be there.

Instead, I would consider meeting the Maitre'D day 1 and indicate your plans, instead of TD see if he will give you a standing res for the 2 nights in AD (minimizing the wait) and make your specialty resses, then he can free up 2 spots in TD and the only thing you give up is having the same people at the table the 2nd night. Fairly win win all around.

You appear to have made your mind up about staying with traditional dining even though the majority of people have responded that you should let it go and use ATD when you are eating on board.

We had this happen on a cruise a few years back and it was not appreciated by us and our tablemates. It was infuriating to sit at a table night after night and see two empty seats knowing friends and acquaintance's were not able to take advantage of those seats. And whether it was the right thing to do or not, when the two people did arrive, we were not overly friendly to them. Why would we be? We had spent the previous 4-5 days bonding with our tablemates and it wasn't worth our effort to try and include two new people who we all viewed as rude to hold on to seats when they weren't using them for the majority of the cruise.

Do the right thing and either use your seats at traditional dining, or give them up to someone who will use them.

On a cruise last year, I unexpectedly ran into a waiter I knew

from 10 years before. I moved to his station for the rest of

the cruise. I had no idea that I should have foregone that

enjoyment because of some unwritten rule.

a) If this was in traditional, then the Matre d' would have happily moved you

b) If the this was in anytime, then the Matre d' would happily have switched you from traditional to anytime.

Either way, you would have followed the written and unwritten rules.

It is kind of like making a standing reservation at your local restaurant in town for a table every night and then not showing up. You are depriving others of enjoying time in that restaurant just so you can have a place that you will not use the majority of the time

Are there unwritten rules? Yes. They are: respect, consideration and common sense which hopefully don't need to be spelled out in the Passage Contract or in the dining choices. The OP states that they want to be considerate yet is citing posts that are out of context and have nothing to do with ATD vs. Traditional as reasons for their choice.

I still think they don't understand Anytime dining so I'll try to give an anology. Let's say there are two restaurants right next door to each other. The same menu, the same kitchen and chefs, the same decor and service. One has a table reserved for you every night at the same time and when you're not there, remains empty. No one else can sit there no matter what. With the other restaurant, you can either show up when you want and sit at a table with others or make a reservation for a specific time. This is an excellent choice for those who want flexibility and perhaps eat in the restaurant only a couple of times.. The former is the equivalent of Traditional dining; the latter is the equivalent of Anytime. I hope this makes sense to the OP.

I think the reality is that if the OP tells the Maitre D' they won't be at that table for 5 nights out of 7, the Maitre D' might take matters into his own hands and suggest either a table for 2 in Traditional Dining, which is quite rare, or to make reservations at a table in Anytime Dining for them those two nights.

OR, their Traditional tablemates, tiring of dining with empty chairs night after night, might either be asked to be moved or to have others moved to their table.

We were on the Emerald in June/July for the Baltic cruise we were by ourselves. We chose ATD because then we wouldn't have to rush back to make our reservation if we had chosen the TD. We also chose not to do formal nights so then we went to the buffet. They had the very back of the buffet dining room (the Caribe dining room I think it was called) all set up with linens, etc. and it was a bit nicer than the regular buffet but you didn't have to be dressed in formal wear. The other nights that we did the TD we always went after 7:30 and only had to stand long enough for the line to move into the dining room entrance. We always asked to be seated with a table of 6 or 8 and NEVER had to wait for a table. We met some wonderful people and in fact ate dinner with one couple we had met at an earlier dinner, on our last night. The cruise we are going on in Jan. has us booked for the early sitting but we are with 6 friends. This is my 4th cruise and I really didn't know about notifying the table/waiter if we were not going to be there. For the 2 formal nights our group has chosen to go to the buffet. I will definitely let our waiter know that we won't be there those 2 nights. I love CC as I am always learning something new. Thanks!!!

So what I am hearing is that you prefer folks not do Traditional if they are not going to dress up for formal night, since missing two nights out of six would not be acceptable?

Bottom line from 99% of the posters.......

NO!!!

A number of years ago we sailed on the Grand Princess, and met up with some couples who had posted here on a Roll Call. Some of us had anytime dining, some traditional. At one point (maybe the 2nd to last night of the cruise) a couple that had traditional dining asked us to eat with them--we had anytime dining. I said, I don't think we can do that, but they said they were sitting at a Table for 6 (I think it was 6), and the other 4 people had not shown up once during the cruise. We had wanted traditional dining, and I thought it was pretty lousy of someone to take up a spot so to speak and not use it. I am in agreement with most of the others--if you are only going to be in the MDR for 2 nights out of 7, you should go with anytime. It is not fair to your tablemates, and not fair to others who might want to do traditional dining.

a)

Either way, you would have followed the written and unwritten rules.

Either way, it would have deprived my tablemates in traditional

from having the same tablemates for the entire cruise -- which

seems to be what so many are complaining about.

Definately if you are only going to be at dinner the last two nights then switch to anytime dining so someone who wants traditional can have your place. We shared a table onetime with a couple who rarely came and it was not very nice.

We prefer anytime dining for this reason. We always share a table with thers and they are there.

We were at a table for 10 in May and one couple NEVER showed up.:confused: But, the 8 of us had a great time!

Either way, it would have deprived my tablemates in traditional

from having the same tablemates for the entire cruise -- which

seems to be what so many are complaining about.

Maybe, maybe not, because by moving officially you free up your old spot to be assigned to someone on the wait list who is more than happy to join your former table in your place and contribute to the nightly conversation. If you did this in the beginning of the cruise, no problem. If you did it at the end, well, probably not as easy to fill your spot, but at least you were there for the majority of the cruise. If you did it midway, then yes, you abandoned your table for a waiter. But I presume, regardless of when you left the table, you had the good sense and manners to go to your table, explained that you had met an old friend, and apologized for leaving the table midway through the cruise. Did you not do this?

Archived