Board Early or Late on Embarkation Day?

bellebaby

Do you board as early as possible on embarkation day or do you take in the sights and board at your leisure?

Several hundred passengers were stranded in San Juan on Sunday when the Port Authority ordered the Carnival Victory and Serenade of the Seas to depart early to avoid Hurricane Irene.

I never thought about this scenario... We usually board early, but know others do not.

Stuff happens, but I think it the exception.

For me, I try to board late like around 3 for a 5 pm sailing. The rush is over. everyone has gotten their quota food, special lunch etc. luggage pretty much all delivered, and the hype is gone. Very serene. No one really in the terminal/dock to push and shove.

I go on cruises to relax and skip the hub-bub.

No on the other end of the cruise, I always try to be the fiers off the ship for the same reason.

it would appear that the persons who rush to get on are alsl the ones who seem to want to linger the longest.

Getting off first means no lines, no baggage problems and plenty of cabs, un stressed custom folks....

We like to board early. We will have a light lunch and then spend hours walking around the ship. If we have to change our dining time, we'll get there when they open. If our luggage comes early, we have some time to unpack before the muster drill and sail away.

We used to board early but hate being herded in the big crowds. Usually we board a little later (2 or 3) and the rush is over so we can just whip through registration and get on board. Of course we do miss the early lunch but try to make up for it in the days that follow.

At one time we worried that the food would all be eaten but have discovered that there is plenty to go around.

My first two cruises I boarded early because that is what my fellow travelers wanted to do. This last cruise I decided to tour Seattle a bit in the morning before heading to the cruise ship. In the future I will board early again. I never really had that time the first day to tour the ship and get oriented. I felt so rushed getting the cabin organized, eating and trying to figure out the ship. Perhaps if it was a ship I had been on before I would feel a bit differently. Looks like early embarkations for me in the future.

We like to board early.

a.) I'm excited and can't wait to get the vacation started

b.) DH isn't settled about making it on board - until we're on board. He would be freaking out if we were in San Juan right now and not on the boat. Once we make it to our cabin - he relaxes and the vacation officially begins.

c.) so much to do when we get on board - book the cooking class, make pinnacle reservations, get oriented, meet the concierge, etc.

We also like to board early - it gives us time to wander around the ship, take some photos before all the bars/lounges become inhabited, etc. We like to have a leisurely lunch and spend some time getting to know our way around the ship if it's new to us, or renewing old acquaintances if we've been on it before.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I agree with VermeulT for all the reasons she mentioned. And my SIL is like her DH--I honestly don't think she relaxes till we are on board. Plus I really like getting unpacked and all settled in before lifeboat drill and sailaway.

There's so much to do on embarkation day! I love to board early so I can get it all done, then start to relax.

When I board I go straight to my cabin, unpack my carry-ons, then start to go through the paperwork on the desk. There may be a gift from my TA, check the shore excursion tickets to see they are right, and if there's been any time changes, check the daily program.

If my luggage hasn't arrived by then I either make Pinnacle Grill reservations, or check with Shore Excursions if I have doubts as to the suitability of anything I've booked.

Then, about 2:00 or so, I eat lunch. Check again for the luggage. If it's there, I start the chore of unpacking; if not, I sit outside and unwind.

So much to accomplish before it's all real! :)

We like to board as early as possible for the same reasons the others have stated.

Also we've usually stayed at a hotel the night before, check-out time is around the same time as boarding begins, and it saves wandering around with our luggage. We just go straight from the hotel to the ship.

Now that one can make PG, Tamarind (if applicable), and Le Cirque reservations online before sailing, there is somewhat less reason to board especially early.

If sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam, however, and you want to reserve the Chef's Table, then early boarding is a must.

Under ideal circumstances we like to board just before the MDR closes for lunch (usually at 1:00), so that we can enjoy a sit-down lunch and then explore the ship, all without the worst of the early boarding rush.

It is important, however, to allow time for the all-important spa and shopping arcade drawings. You never can tell, you might just win the world's smallest piece of Tanzanite.

We usually get on about 1 hour after boarding has commenced. Still gives us time for lunch (if we want it) and spa or culinary reservations.

Normally you need to be out of your hotel by noon, so it all works out quite nicely.

After the day you get on is day one of your cruise. Might as well make the most of it.

If you read the CC Main Page you will see the headlines about 2 Passenger ships being ordered by the Port Authorities in San Juan, Puerto Rico to depart 5 hours earlier than originally planned, stranding over 450 passengers.

San Juan was their starting point/Embarkation and many of the 450+ passengers were still in transit or on Excursions prior to boarding and were not reachable by the cruise lines involved.

So, comes down to I will board the ship at the earliest time they allow me to board and will not miss any of the cruise.

I will also be amongst the last off the ship upon disembarkation as I can always see my luggage all by itself. I have no problems getting a porter and breeze right through customs since they are happy to see we are the last and they can take a break.

Joanie

We don't have a specific time in terms of early or late for embarkation or disembarkation. We've gone to the terminal early enough to be in the first thirty or so people to board or late enough to walk on by ourselves. It all depends on how motivated Mrs. K is to get up embarkation morning and whatever arrangements we've made to get to the terminal. Short of walking, which we've never done, we've gone by HAL transfer, taxi, and hotel shuttle. Disembarkation is kind of driven by our flight times. Since we typically don't book a flight until noon or later we're usually not in any particular rush but don't necessarily hold on until the last minute either. Interestingly our last cruise on the Maasdam was our earliest boarding time, driven by a thunderstorm warning that made us decide to get to the terminal early, and our earliest disembarkation driven by HAL wanting to empty the Maasdam as quickly as possible to get her to dry dock.

Definitely like to board early. It didn't seem all that mad of a rush to us, except maybe the Lido, but next time we can go to the MDR, as we'll be mariners. It doesn't seem real until we're on and unpacked. :)

Last time we chose the latest time we could to disembark. Getting off the ship and even getting our luggage was fine, but it was crazy outside trying to get a shuttle to our parking lot. Ended up getting a taxi after waiting in the rain for over an hour. :( (People are ruthless trying to get onto those shuttles!) So next time we'll either get off as early as possible or we might hire a driver to pick us up and bypass the shuttle lines!