Passport?

JBoshears

Don't blame the government, that was the original plan for the passport rules; it was the cruise lines that mounted the campaign to allow the BC/ID exception for RT cruises.

Well, the Gov't caved in to their lobbying, right?

And, at this time, most cruiselines' websites strongly recommend passports even for closed-loops, but mention what other ID would be acceptable for such trips. Go figure.

Well, perhaps this whole issue would be a lot clearer if the Gov't would change the WHTI to mandate passports for people entering the country from any and all foreign countries, including those on a closed-loop cruise. Woulda saved a lot of peeps stranded due to Irene.

Bluntly put: While I am sorry for any passengers whose cruise got impacted for lack of passports, there are two probable results:

The average IQ on the ships that sailed early is almost certain to have risen; and

Those stranded are almost certain to finally get around to getting passports.

bluntly put: While i am sorry for any passengers whose cruise got impacted for lack of passports, there are two probable results:

The average iq on the ships that sailed early is almost certain to have risen; and

those stranded are almost certain to finally get around to getting passports.

roflmao!

Bluntly put: While I am sorry for any passengers whose cruise got impacted for lack of passports, there are two probable results:

The average IQ on the ships that sailed early is almost certain to have risen; and

Cruel, but correct.

Pretty harsh.....and not sure I would agree...can't tell you how many posts I have seen from people in favor of passports with horrible grammar and/or spelling.....

Pretty harsh.....and not sure I would agree...can't tell you how many posts I have seen from people in favor of passports with horrible grammar and/or spelling.....

Have you read CC Community Guidelines:

It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, and that there are many users who use English as a second language, especially on our Cruise Boards. There are also a number of people who suffer from learning disabilities and who have difficulty noticing their spelling mistakes. Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies.

Ron

if you are fooling enough to travel without a passport, (IMHO) and you get stranded you can only blame yourself......:)

Have you read CC Community Guidelines:

It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, and that there are many users who use English as a second language, especially on our Cruise Boards. There are also a number of people who suffer from learning disabilities and who have difficulty noticing their spelling mistakes. Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies.

Ron

If you had read the post I was responding to, you would have figured out what I was saying. The post said basically said people who don't have a passport have a lower IQ than those who do have a passport. Was simply pointing out that having or not having a passport is not a measure of IQ.... In no way was I meaning to be critical of poor spelling or grammar....what I was being "critical" of was the assumption that people who cannot afford a passport have a low IQ....and those that can have a high IQ.

if you are fooling enough to travel without a passport, (IMHO) and you get stranded you can only blame yourself......:)

Didn't say you shouldn't blame yourself if you travel without a passport and get stranded. All I said was it is pretty harsh to call someone who doesn't have a passport "stupid." And basically....that is what navybankteacher said when he/she said there were a lot of people left behind because they didn't have a passport, so the average IQ on the ship increased.....pretty nasty statement in my opinion.

If you had read the post I was responding to, you would have figured out what I was saying. The post said basically said people who don't have a passport have a lower IQ than those who do have a passport. Was simply pointing out that having or not having a passport is not a measure of IQ.... In no way was I meaning to be critical of poor spelling or grammar....what I was being "critical" of was the assumption that people who cannot afford a passport have a low IQ....and those that can have a high IQ.

Your actual words were:

"can't tell you how many posts I have seen from people in favor of passports with horrible grammar and/or spelling..... "

I rest my case.

Ron

If you are a US citizen, and you leave and return to a US port, its a closed circuit cruise and you can use either a passport or a government issues photo ID (Drivers License) and original, government issued Birth Certificate (the one with the raised seal).

Most don't have raised seals anymore.

...can't tell you how many posts I have seen from people in favor of the Tulsa Cubs with judgmental attitudes about grammar and/or spelling..... :D

Your actual words were:

"can't tell you how many posts I have seen from people in favor of passports with horrible grammar and/or spelling..... "

I rest my case.

Ron

Taken completely out of context....read with the entire quote and post.....I explained what my meaning was....if you still don't understand.....so sorry.

I rest my case.

Why does (it seems) every thread which mentions anything about passports seem to turn 'nasty' at some point?

As a European I find it difficult to understand why anyone would try to travel outside their country without a passport, and in the context of a cruise forum I don't find the 'economic argument' valid - compared to the cost of a cruise the price of a passport is not huge, even if you have to fork out for a whole family at once. And, with the sort of planning involved in most cruises you could 'stagger' the cost by applying in batches.

However, I do recognise that it is possible to travel outside the USA (at least on closed-loop cruises, not sure about other situations) on alternative ID documents. However, I would be far more worried about losing my birth certificate plus marriage certificate than my passport. And I can only assume that your certificates are more sturdy than ours, I know mine would be tattered after only a couple of trips away!

All that said, I don't think people who travel without a passport are stupid. I think, in my personal opinion, that they are misguided, and possibly short-sighted, but I don't think that reflects their intelligence. If I thought that the specific connotation of the word would cross the pond intact I would say they were 'daft' but not dumb! Oh, I really wish there was a 'tongue-in-cheek' emoticon on this forum!

....can't tell you how many posts I have seen from people in favor of passports with horrible grammar and/or spelling.....

OK, I think I get it now!! You are saying that you have seen posts from people who are in favor of passports that have horrible grammar and/or spelling, right? Passports with horrible grammar or spelling! That's a new one on me! Are these special order items???? :D

if you go to the US Travel.State.Gov and go to passports. They have a web page about Passport Day September 17. You can put in your state (through a drop down list) and it will give you a listing of offices in your individual state that are offering passports on this day, some offer photos others do not, they also have their posted hours for the event.

Here is the link to the page

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_5535.html

I'm sure this has been asked, but I am having trouble finding answers. Is it an absolute that passports are required for Caribbean cruise that leaves and returns from USA? We are looking at a Western cruise in June, 2012. The last cruise I took in 2007 only required a birth certificate.

Thanks for your help!

yes you have to have a passport

We are in the same situation - family of four and we don't have passports. We are saving for over a year to go on our cruise. Our TA mentioned a good idea - buy two now, and then wait a few months and buy the other two so you don't have a $500 hit all at once. And yes, if you are a member of AAA, you can get your picture taken for free with them. We figure we'd rather be safe than sorry. As the posters mentioned, what if something happened to one of our kids and we had to go back to the U.S. unexpectedly? What if we got "stuck" waiting to get back to the U.S. I don't like the idea of paying $500 but then again I would rather do that then be stranded somewhere. Also, it gives me a reason to travel internationally again!

Archived