Passport?

JBoshears

I'm sure this has been asked, but I am having trouble finding answers. Is it an absolute that passports are required for Caribbean cruise that leaves and returns from USA? We are looking at a Western cruise in June, 2012. The last cruise I took in 2007 only required a birth certificate.

Thanks for your help!

If you are a US citizen, and you leave and return to a US port, its a closed circuit cruise and you can use either a passport or a government issues photo ID (Drivers License) and original, government issued Birth Certificate (the one with the raised seal).

If you choose to cruise without a passport, you should realize that if you have an emergency and must fly home from the Caribbean, you cannot do so without a passport.

All international flights require passport.

If you are a US citizen, and you leave and return to a US port, its a closed circuit cruise and you can use either a passport or a government issues photo ID (Drivers License) and original, government issued Birth Certificate (the one with the raised seal).

The same US port

And with the discussion on these boards about the specifics of Birth Certificates, if your cruise is in 2012, you might as well get the passports. Sept 17 is National Passport day. Usually AAA will give free photos for your applications.

I'm sure this has been asked, but I am having trouble finding answers. Is it an absolute that passports are required for Caribbean cruise that leaves and returns from USA? We are looking at a Western cruise in June, 2012. The last cruise I took in 2007 only required a birth certificate.

Thanks for your help!

While you are not required to have a passport on a closed-loop Carib to/from the same U.S. port, having one is the only way you can fly home in an emergency ... or, for that matter, fly onward to catch your ship if you miss embarkation or miss boarding in any of the islands. The stories of the people stranded without passports during Irene's several days of havoc ought to be a lesson to everyone about the importance of having a passport when leaving the country.

There were a number of posts about this very subject recently when people missed the ship at their embarkation port.

Those who had passports flew to the next port and boarded the ship there. Those without passports could not do so and therefore missed the entire cruise.

Thanks for your help!

why would anyone this day and age not apply for a passport??

do the math----a passport cost approx. $100.00--good for 10 years

that's $10.00 per year

83.3 cents per month

2.7 cents per day

i think 2.7 cents per day is a great price for safety and piece of mind!!!

Thanks for your help!

Short answer; no.

Explanation;

A passport is normally required for travel, because the United States require it for a US Citizen to re-enter the country.

Most Caribbean countries (and Canada) have not changed their rules, they now only require a passport for US Citizens because a US Citizen requires that to return home -- they're not going to let you into their country w/o the right paperwork to go home.

Because the US waive the passport requirement for re-entry following a closed loop cruise, you hence don't need it to enter Caribbean countries.

While you may not need a passport for your cruise as some say you may still need one if you get in a jam. A 10 year passport is a great investment. There are last minute travel deals that may not give you enough time to get one if needed.

additionally the CRUISELINE may impose the requirement regardless of US or other law.

even for large families you can stagger them ..a month or two difference in expiration dates is not normally a huge deal. plus kids under 16 are only good for 5 years anyway.

if this will be your one and ONLY trip outside of CONUS in an entire lifetime, then yeah maybe taking the risk is worth it. until you find you are addicted to cruising and realize that you must go again...:p

Is passport required for a closed loop cruise from a US port for a US cirtizen who has whatever documentation the line might require?

NO.

Would any reasonably intelligent person think it is a good idea to not invest $100 for a ten-year passport which would prevent serious problems in case of missed ship or other complications, while also providing flexibility for all sorts of other future travel?

Also NO.

And with the discussion on these boards about the specifics of Birth Certificates, if your cruise is in 2012, you might as well get the passports. Sept 17 is National Passport day. Usually AAA will give free photos for your applications.

Someone please tell me what National Passport Day is.

why would anyone this day and age not apply for a passport??

do the math----a passport cost approx. $100.00--good for 10 years

that's $10.00 per year

83.3 cents per month

2.7 cents per day

i think 2.7 cents per day is a great price for safety and piece of mind!!!

I agree.....but you can't pay for the passport at 2.7 cents per day....or even $10 a year. You have to pay the $100 up front. And that is per person. Say there is a family of 4. Now you are talking $400 up front. For some, that might be the difference between taking that dream cruise vacation and not....or taking a 4 day instead of a 7 day. If it is not required, and a person is willing to take the risk of having to fly home from a foreign port, and the money makes a difference....then I can see not getting one.

I just applied for my passport today. If you have never had a passport before you must go to passport acceptance center or US post office that does this, I needed an appointment at my PO. Its $110 for the passbook, plus $25 process fee. You need a photo (A A A does this for free for members), copy of your DL, certified birth certificate and a completed DS-11 form. Be aware, they send off your birth cert, but it will be returned to you. Make a copy first. YOu can find all this info, printable forms and passport acceptance locations here:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

I just applied for my passport today. If you have never had a passport before you must go to passport acceptance center or US post office that does this, I needed an appointment at my PO. Its $110 for the passbook, plus $25 process fee. You need a photo (A A A does this for free for members), copy of your DL, certified birth certificate and a completed DS-11 form. Be aware, they send off your birth cert, but it will be returned to you. Make a copy first. YOu can find all this info, printable forms and passport acceptance locations here:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

It should be $110 for a passport, not book.

Would any reasonably intelligent person think it is a good idea to not invest $100 for a ten-year passport which would prevent serious problems in case of missed ship or other complications, while also providing flexibility for all sorts of other future travel?

Very good point! My wife's sister did not have a passport, but her husband did for business travel reasons. While in France on a business trip he was injured in a car accident that was so serious it required several weeks in a hospital. Without a passport herself she had to wait several days to get one, all filled with anxious and frustrating efforts to expedite a passport so she could be by his bedside. The fact that she had difficulty finding her own birth certificate added days to her wait, all the while not being able to be with her husband during his most critical days. A horrible situation that could have easily been prevented.

It doesn't need to be a husband - it could be a son or daughter traveling through Europe after college, a parent or brother or sister on an overseas vacation, or a close relative living abroad. Be prepared!!!

Remember that saying: 'Penny-wise, Pound-Foolish'

Yes, corrected to say I paid $110 for the passport w/pages, not the card.

ok--re-due the math

a passport cost approx. $110.00--good for 10 years

that's $11.00 per year

91.66 cents per month

3.013 cents per day

i think 3.013 cents per day is a great price for safety and piece of mind!

Well, perhaps this whole issue would be a lot clearer if the Gov't would change the WHTI to mandate passports for people entering the country from any and all foreign countries, including those on a closed-loop cruise. Woulda saved a lot of peeps stranded due to Irene.

Archived