Useful gift exchange ideas

lilcruzr

:confused: What do you mean you 'stole' a lunchbox from Texas? You took someone else's swapped item? :eek:

I think the OP is referring to the gift swap. We've done this at company Christmas parties in the past. One year, a young, new employee "stole" a gift from the wife of the owner..Oops! Didn't live that one down for quite some time.

This is how it works: The first person goes up to the table of wrapped gifts. He chooses one and opens it. The 2nd person may then choose a wrapped gift, or "steal" the unwrapped gift from person #1. And so it goes until everyone has a gift.

I think this is a good idea and I bought some scottish whisky teabags a key ring a small scottish recipe book and a fridge magnet all relating to the area where I reside. Unfortunately the icelandic ash put paid to my cruise and I still have all the items other than the tea. I had asked on cruise critic if anyone would like them I would post them to them which I did and I hope they enjoyed the tea.

Mary:D

I think the OP is referring to the gift swap. We've done this at company Christmas parties in the past. One year, a young, new employee "stole" a gift from the wife of the owner..Oops! Didn't live that one down for quite some time.

This is how it works: The first person goes up to the table of wrapped gifts. He chooses one and opens it. The 2nd person may then choose a wrapped gift, or "steal" the unwrapped gift from person #1. And so it goes until everyone has a gift.

The only problem with this system is that it takes a long time. Plus, whoever gets #1 gets to steal any gift after they are all taken and exposed. At least that is what happened in our exchange. Guess who had #1? The organizer. The last person who took a gift was stuck with #1's gift--bath salts from someone's "white elephant" drawer. Guess who that was? Me (lol).

Quickest way is after all the gifts are assembled, you go up and take one. Or, you can hand out numbers as the gifts are turned in and be called up to choose a gift when your number is drawn.

Small and lightweight are the magic words. I, also, put in a local postcard on which I have written in light pencil our name. They can erase and use the card if they want. There are a lot of nice/useful small gifts out there and I have received them They provide a nice souvenir of the cruise.

Tucker in Texas

I was surprised that some people plan to do a gift exchange at a M&G. I drive to the port so no big deal, but what do you do if you are flying and no weight or space available in the suitcase??? throw the gift away??? regift to the cabin steward???

I would think something that could be consumed on board - chocolates, snacks, etc would be a great gift.

:) Thanks for explaining. I never heard of that system. :D

Oh my, I guess I just can't 'get into it'. Best if I stay away but hope those who enjoy it have lots of fun. That is what a cruise is all about. Have fun in the way that pleases each of us. Enjoy.

One of the easiest I've ever done is a postcard from your area with a local recipe printed on the back:) Takes up virtually no room and you can wander around the M&G and exchange cards as you meet people. It usually has their screen & actual names on it,so it's a great reminder of who is who:D

Last cruise I was on that did a gift exchange, instead of white elephant (or dirty santa as it is also known), someone read a story called the Wright's Go on a Cruise. Just a short funny little story about packing for a cruise, getting the ship, and boarding the ship. Anytime the person said right or left, you passed your gift in that direction. Didn't take long, ensured that no one's feelings were hurt because their gift wasn't chosen first, and was fun learning who couldn't tell their right from their left.:p Actually that time, a group of us on the roll call got together the night before the cruise and did the gift exchange then, so that the meet and mingle was not cluttered up with something not everyone wanted to participate in.

I think the only manageable way would be each person brings ONE small gift and the passing from left to right (no hurt feelings). I can't imagine anything worse than trying to fly to Australia with a bushel of peaches (my state's claim to fame) or marble item (we have a somewhat local marble quarry)...LOL. I would however, have no problem bringing ONE local item such as a t-shirt or pen or magnet, especially if it wasn't mandatory. Sounds like a nice ice-breaker and good for laughs.

• 6 years later...

I had a small 6 pack cooler that was a free logo gift from Carnival. It said Carnival all over it. For some reason never had the gift exchange so I still have it, wrapped, on a closet shelf. But we each get the same free logo gift (2) each Carnival cruise. Once they gave out fantastic beach bags. We all ready had two so we gave the two we got to the two couples we ate with at dinner each night. (It was a table for 6.) Did same with small back backs.

Once we had 22 Carnival picture frames. This was before I found out I can go to guest services and exchange them. Family got them with our pictures and I would take a few on a cruise. I would make sure a honeymooning couple would get one.

For some reason I seldom go to M&Gs. usually time gets away from me, forget about them.

I can't think of anything useful that I would want from any other state or province.

But, if you have to exchange, how about a food/ wine/ chocolates product, baseball hat of local sports team, inexpensive book of photos of your state.

How do you know what foods I like or can eat. I never heard about your local sports team nor do I care about it. Do I really want a book of photos of Iowa or Texas?

In other words, the whole idea of a gift exchange seems silly to me. I would love to check the waste baskets of the cabins of the people who participate in gift exchanges.

DON

How do you know what foods I like or can eat. I never heard about your local sports team nor do I care about it. Do I really want a book of photos of Iowa or Texas?

In other words, the whole idea of a gift exchange seems silly to me. I would love to check the waste baskets of the cabins of the people who participate in gift exchanges.

DON

Don, the thread is a 6 year old zombie thread that somebody resurrected for no good reason. Let it go.