anyone not been able to turn off mobile on ship?

trinitytrees

Whilst i was on a recent cruise i was unable to turn off my mobile phone, this has happend on other cruises as well, as soon as i get home i can turn off my mobile fine. i mentioned this to my family and got laughed at, they said there is no way this could happen, please just to confirm my sanity has this ever happened to anyone else, or does anyone know the reason it might happen?

i am hoping that it has happened to others!

On my last cruise I did not turn the phone off as I was using my phone as my camera, and playing some games, but I did put it into "airplane mode" This prevented any calls from coming in so I didn't have to worry about any roaming charges (my husband did not do this and we did get charged for some roaming fees for his phone. This might be an option for you to consider doing if you can't turn it off.

If it's an iPhone there is no battery to take out unless you have it serviced by an authorized dealer. If the phone is not responding like mine once did, reset it by holding down the sleep wake button at the top of the phone and the home button at the bottom front screen of the phone at the same time for ten seconds.

The i-phone has a special Cruise Ship switch in it. When it senses it is on a cruise ship, it will go into cruise ship mode and disallow anyone to turn it off. I guess you could say, it escapes completely. By the way, is anyone interested in purchasing our ocean front property in Nevada?

The i-phone has a special Cruise Ship switch in it. When it senses it is on a cruise ship, it will go into cruise ship mode and disallow anyone to turn it off. I guess you could say, it escapes completely. By the way, is anyone interested in purchasing our ocean front property in Nevada?

Very funny. How many acres are you selling?;)

Our phones shut off without difficulty on every ship so far. Maybe your phone was malfunctioning. If you think it is some quirk about your phone, turn it off before going on board next time.

I like to use my phone when on holiday but when i want to, but not to have work calls coming in interupting my much needed break, which is why i want to take it but not have it turned on. i like to use it when in port to contact family and them to contact me. my phone is on a contract which i pay for so dont want another phone just for holidays. thanks for the responses so far.

just realised my post has been moved but dont know why?

Just a big warning to all you very smart people with "smart phones" Yes, these phones are very smart and know how to make money for their companies. When you are outside the US you should make sure your data functions are turned-off. There are nightmare tales of folks running up huge cell bills (thousands of dollars) because their date-fed apps kept working while they were running around Europe. Little did these folks know that they were racking up huge roaming and usage charges. So check with your cell provider before you go out of your country and know your options....

Hank

I have never had a problem turning off the phone or on for that matter while cruising. I do turn off the data function, that keeps it from bringing email and internet data coming in, plus put it on airplane mode.

I did use it one time while cruising with my mom. My husband wanted to keep in contact with me, so we put the phone on international plan for a few weeks. It did cost us about $300 for our bill that month. :eek: Our bill normally is $178.

By the way we have iPhone. By the way iphone has a Cruise Ship Mode??? :confused:

I have never had a problem turning off the phone or on for that matter while cruising. I do turn off the data function, that keeps it from bringing email and internet data coming in, plus put it on airplane mode.

I did use it one time while cruising with my mom. My husband wanted to keep in contact with me, so we put the phone on international plan for a few weeks. It did cost us about $300 for our bill that month. :eek: Our bill normally is $178.

By the way we have iPhone. By the way iphone has a Cruise Ship Mode??? :confused:

Kind of interesting. We pay about $10 a month for our cell phones so the $168 a month we save pays for a cruise every year :).

Hank

That was a joke. There is no cruise ship mode. The poster was kidding and implying that phone companies can turn on a cruise ship mode so that they'll make tons of money off unsuspecting customers.

Archived