Slept through the security briefing

rae.holmes

People who don't go cause everyone else to wait and wait and wait and wait. Thanks.

So how is that possible:confused: We just got off the Victory , they had no idea how many or who attended , and dont tell me they marked it off because they didnt I watched yes they had a sheet but NO ONE checked your sail and signs or ask your name so unless they have a pyschic working they just went throught the motions and this one lasted like 5 -10 minutes 2 announcements and boom done shortest one I ever saw and we were early for a change.

Maybe I'm "stupid", but I just feel like going is part of the "cruise experience". The whole thing takes less than 20 mins...most of which now you sit inside one of the lounges or restaurants...and about five-ten mins tops on deck by your lifeboat. I really don't see what the big deal is and in the unlikely event something happens this is actually info that is good for you.

Remember when we were in school? How many fire drills did we have but how many fires actually occured?

I've been on many, many cruises. Gone to every one of the muster drills, even on my B2B cruises. I have never missed one and I will never miss one. Even during the cruise I revisit my muster station to make sure I know where it is. I am not paranoid but I know Cruise ships are not unsinkable and emergencies do and will happen. I want to be level headed and know exactly where I am going if something happens. The people who miss the musters are probably going to be the ones who panic and may lose their own life or cause someone else's life to be lost because of their irresponsibility.

Sorry, but that is my opinion.

Edited by Umbarger

We've always been to our muster drills...I don't know how someone could accidentally miss it (unless you're sleeping, and unless you're sick, why are you already sleeping that early on in the cruise?), since they keep announcing it over and over all afternoon that it's going to happen. Really, there are at least two if not three warnings that it's coming before it actually happens.

I've wondered how some people can get to their muster stations so quickly. Even when you'd have to bring your lifevest. Sometimes we'd be waiting for the drill to happen and by the time we go to our station, it was half full already. At least it meant not having to stand there for so long.

I've been on many, many cruises. Gone to every one of the muster drills, even on my B2B cruises. I have never missed one and I will never miss one. Even during the cruise I revisit my muster station to make sure I know where it is. I am not paranoid but I know Cruise ships are not unsinkable and emergencies do and will happen. I want to be level headed and know exactly where I am going if something happens. The people who miss the musters are probably going to be the ones who panic and may lose their own life or cause someone else's life to be lost because of their irresponsibility.

Sorry, but that is my opinion.

Yup, what Umbarger said!!!!

Last thing I want to do in an emergency is try to find our station..........I want to get there as quickly and safely as possible and be ready to get into that lifeboat if the Captain says go.....................

Ok I would like to play Devils Advocate and I have said this on several ships , lets assume the worst thing , the ship hits something and is sinking , does anyone really think theses young kids that work for the cruise lines , that dont speak english all that well will calmly be standing where they belong just directy you to a lifeboat , it will be a cluster IMHO. Now saying that I cant imagine anything like that happening in the caribbean , I know there have been fires and evacuations but if that thing is sinking , I would say it would be ugly and I pray I never find out or anyone ever finds out. :)

So how is that possible:confused: We just got off the Victory , they had no idea how many or who attended , and dont tell me they marked it off because they didnt I watched yes they had a sheet but NO ONE checked your sail and signs or ask your name so unless they have a pyschic working they just went throught the motions and this one lasted like 5 -10 minutes 2 announcements and boom done shortest one I ever saw and we were early for a change.

Because staff said they were waiting on "stragglers".

I've always gone to the drills, don't much like it, but go and get it over with. :)

On a Carnival cruise, a family member made it obvious that they weren't going, and they "slept" in their cabin. A cruise employee came in but never attempted to wake them.

On HAL, they actually checked everyone off that was supposed to be there, you had to wear your life jacket like you were getting ready to be off loaded to a life boat and you had to wait until everyone was counted for.

I kinda miss the old days (really not that long ago ;)) when you had to actually wear your life jacket, and they actually took attendance, and the muster drill was held on the promenade deck in front of the lifeboats. I simply don't understand the need for some pax to blow off this important cruise detail. It's mandated by law for heaven's sake.

On my recent Gem cruise the muster drill was held in the show lounge, & the muster crew looked at everyone's S&S card, & checked you off their list. I think some cruise lines are still checking.

• 7 years later...

I was on a cruise with 3 of my buddies.  I roomed with 1 and we decided to skip the briefing.  Since we knew they check to see if you are in your room, we decided to lay under our beds.  He said he can tell you how many squares are in the frame of the bed (585).  I on the other hand fell asleep.  The attached pic is the pic he took of me asleep under the bed...LOL.  BTW... I had been on so many cruises that we were just tired of going to them.  We used to go on 3 or more a year.  I had been on the same ship before this trip as well.  I have gone to all the others before and since then too.

I've been on some that they check you off a list and some they don't.  Most of my cruises have been on Carnival with a few on RCCL, Disney, Commodore (no longer around), and our next two planned for 2019 is NCL and another Carnival.

sleepDuringSafetyBriefing.jpg

Edited by chavisc

On one short cruise, DH and I drove all the way from MD to PC and he was tired and feeling cruddy so he got in bed and I went to muster. But they came in and chased him out of the cabin. I don't know how anyone can hide from it or miss it.

Last cruise, Oct 6 on Horizon, they sent Hub app message saying muster was at 3:30. We got there at 3;30 and it didn't start until 4:15. We had to check in with our cabin number. They called out all the folks' names who missed it at the end and told them to meet somewhere at specific time for their muster. 

10 minutes ago, Bookbug53 said:

Please, please, please do not start this up again after SEVEN years. Or I will go to the end of cruise critic and resurrect every post older than 5 years! Just move along.   :classic_laugh:

if only the new forum software can lock threads after 4 years of inactivity

• Like 4

On 9/7/2011 at 4:42 PM, Izzybeff said:

We've gone to it on both of our cruises and will on the next two cruises we have planned. However, I have panic attacks in large groups of people and last time we got there right after they called it. I was in the row right against the wall with a ton of people in front of me. I started freaking out a bit and hyperventilating. Next time will wait till the majority of people go in so I can be in the front. Really started my cruise off badly. I just couldn't believe how many people they packed into such a small place. My poor DH. He knew what was going to happen when they kept putting people in front of us.:(

Go to guest services next time and explain about your situation they will send you with the disabled group.  I have mobility issues and I always see others that have come to the disabled group for your situation.

Candi

1 hour ago, candigirl41 said:

Go to guest services next time and explain about your situation they will send you with the disabled group.  I have mobility issues and I always see others that have come to the disabled group for your situation.

Candi

SEVEN years ago people. SEVEN. YEARS. AGO.

• Like 1

The person that resurrected this may have had it come up in a search and not noticed the date. I've never done it, but have almost responded to a years old thread after searching a particular topic. Now I always check the date. 

56 minutes ago, Rudyard said:

The person that resurrected this may have had it come up in a search and not noticed the date. I've never done it, but have almost responded to a years old thread after searching a particular topic. Now I always check the date. 

Especially now with the updated forum and the search function seems a bit jacked up. 

• Like 1

Carnival now scans S&S cards at muster stations to determine who is and isn't there.  If they don't show you as scanned in, you have to attend an "alternative" muster drill.  Hiding in your cabin or anywhere else on the ship won't get you out of the muster drill anymore.

11 hours ago, searoses said:

Dont all lines have another muster for no shows and late comers?.i know ive read that on ncl,celeb and rccl...and ive seen many stewards checking cabins on our way to muster...is carnival that lax?

No

19 hours ago, Bookbug53 said:

SEVEN years ago people. SEVEN. YEARS. AGO.

And after a Princess cruise we took 6 years ago, I posted here on CC that Carnival could take a lesson from its sister company and have all S&S cards scanned for muster drill attendance compliance.  Just took Carnival 5 years to implement.

Interesting how some will post use the scan function to find that topic, we discussed it umpteenth times already, but then an old post resurfaces, and some will point out its age.  Guess you can get blasted from either direction.

Edited by evandbob
  • Like 1