Changes in Celebrity's Dining Room in September?

negc

Several years ago we ordered from a waiter in Brugges at an outdoor cafe. He entered our choice on a mobile device and we were served almost immediately. I have often wondered why a shipboard experience could not be similar. Imagine the waiter placing your order electronically while his assistant places the items on a tray for immediate delivery.

They use Ipads in Q Zine on Eclipse

Hi Arno, welcome back. Hope you and Joanne had enjoyable cruises.

I defnitely missed everyone on the 9/4 sailing. Linda said it was

a pleasure to meet you both.:)

As for the changes, there was a new press release about a new

hire by JVS (another Chef coming) so that is probably what the

"Big September News" is about.

Hi Arno, welcome back. Hope you and Joanne had enjoyable cruises.

I defnitely missed everyone on the 9/4 sailing. Linda said it was

a pleasure to meet you both.:)

As for the changes, there was a new press release about a new

hire by JVS (another Chef coming) so that is probably what the

"Big September News" is about.

hi Lois

We just arrived back. We would rate our time onboard (aside from dining) as among the best ever... except for certain menu item that need some serious alteration..

hi Lois

We just arrived back. We would rate our time onboard (aside from dining) as among the best ever... except for certain menu item that need some serious alteration..

Glad to hear:)

hi Lois

That's not too serious if there was only one menu item that gave you grief.

Care to share which one it was?

That's not too serious if there was only one menu item that gave you grief.

Care to share which one it was?

Should have typed "items"

Since this thread is about an announcement promising a new experience that never happened , I do not want to get into personal food preferences. There is another thread about food already. I just wish Celebrity would improve the menu or the dining experience. Without a drastic revamp on X, my taste buds are demanding a different experience.

Times running out for the announcement.

My guess is there is nothing coming. Was there an announcement in September of last year or in the past few years about something different? Maybe the article writer picked up an old quote from someplace - wouldn't surprise me.

The only change I'd really like to see would be an overall upgrade in the food quality in the in the MDR. We're slowly eating more and more in the specialty restuarants. That is great but a bit overboard for a more than a couple nights. It would be nice to see an upgrade in the MDR including a bit better quality overall and also upgrading the poor menu selections found on some nights so that the dinners on all nights are as nice as those found on some of the better nightly MDR menus.

The only change I'd really like to see would be an overall upgrade in the food quality in the in the MDR. We're slowly eating more and more in the specialty restuarants. That is great but a bit overboard for a more than a couple nights. It would be nice to see an upgrade in the MDR including a bit better quality overall and also upgrading the poor menu selections found on some nights so that the dinners on all nights are as nice as those found on some of the better nightly MDR menus.

Agree. A small upgrade in the MDR quality would be nice.We enjoy the specialty venues but eating ther more than once a week is over the topfor us as well

........................Frank:)

Sadly, Celebrity has gone the way of all the other lines. If you don't use their "specialty" venues you are stuck with some nights of "blah" food. :(

We all remember the anticipation of dinner on a Celebrity ship in the past. Now, not so much. We're even planning on dining at the "grazing stations" on Silhouette in March. My kids said the selection and quality there was nicer on Solstice than in the MDR some nights, and you have more choices.

This is one of the reasons we're seriously considering all-inclusives in the future. We love cruising with our friends but if Celebrity again pulls out of the Northeast, except for New England, we're not ready to keep going to Florida. We're also looking at the river cruises on the Danube or Rhein down the road.

Oh well, we can always hope that when they read many of these posts someone will finally wake up realize that many of us miss the old ways. Somehow I doubt that since the bottom line is, as Anne Maria said, revenue. BUT, if folks are hurting like we all are with this economy they'll be hoping folks even decide to travel in the next few years.:rolleyes:

Oh well, see some of you in March.:D

Pat

We're slowly eating more and more in the specialty restuarants.

And I'm sure that's exactly what Celebrity wants. More on-board revenue.

No doubt, and in some ways I don't have a big problem paying a few hundred dollars more for the Specialty restuarants as I don't think that is too much more for the exceptional increase in food quality. A bigger issue is that while I love the whole specialty restuarant experiance I think that it is so over the top in terms of quantity of food and length of the meal that more than a few nights is too much. I wouldn't mind paying a little more for our cruises if the main dining room experiance was say half way between where it is now and the specialty dining experiance.

At the same time I don't like the concept of charging an upgrade fee for better quality daily dining as that moves even further away from the all-inclusive dining concept that has been such an attraction for cruising. Unfortunately I can see that is already happening and there could very well be plans to expand it. We're sailing in AQ next cruise and the main reason is that we'd like to try Blu which many people feel has superior food and service in comparison to the MDR. If this is true I don't see why one should have to book a certain cabin type to get this, but on the other hand I'm not crazy about a seperate price add-on for a higher dining class.

Apparently nothing has been announced that would match what was promised some time back. If anyone gets anything new, please let everyone know, but be prepared to be disappointed if it doesn't qualify as something new and exciting.:)

Couple of observations. One, we just got off of the Constellation on the 19th, and no announcement of any significant change was made while we were on board. Secondly, I was very pleased to find that the quality and preparation of meals in the MDR had shown marked improvement over our recent experiences. By and large, food was tasty, prepared as requested, and served hot. Not a true surprise ( after all it is Celebrity), but much more in line with what Celebrity's signature has been in the past. Ocean Liners was excellent as always, but the biggest problem in the MDR was too much food and me being too willing to eat it.......:)

What is the change? I hope it was the increase from $35 to $40 for specialty restaurants. I'm sure that if things change, people will post. In the mean time, enjoy the same old stuff.

I highly doubt that X was going to try to create a bunch of hype about upping prices. Most companies do that as quietly as possible.

Maybe it was hype just for the sake of hype? Or maybe they decided against the big, new announcement at the last minute? Or maybe they are saving it until the last day of the month? Who knows...

We are finding that we pay very little more for our cruises than we did ten years ago when we first began cruising. We would be willing to pay a bit more (say 100 to 200 more per person) and return to the quality of food that we experienced on our first cruise on the Century - probably most would disagree with us but the topic of declining food quality seems to be on-going. That being said, we have never lost weight on a cruise!

Archived