Changes in Celebrity's Dining Room in September?

negc

"How passengers receive their meals will be completely different from other cruise ships.

Our new main restaurant experience will be a trendsetter in the industry."

After asking many senior people while on board Summit last week, no one knows the source nor implementation of this quote.

I told a Miami restaurant roaming executive that I would forward the original message but I need some more details about the location/origin/audience of this statement.

After asking many senior people while on board Summit last week, no one knows the source nor implementation of this quote.

I told a Miami restaurant roaming executive that I would forward the original message but I need some more details about the location/origin/audience of this statement.

Arno: I've been wondering if this thread wasn't just a mountain out of the molehill of an obscure quote from an out of the way industry website. The quote below is a post I made early in this thread after googling "The Quote" phrase in the first post.

I think the quote in the original post comes from this article (look at the last paragraph)

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news-articles/67-articles/5786-summer-2011-fab-mixing-traditional-and-new.html

Couple of observations. One, we just got off of the Constellation on the 19th, and no announcement of any significant change was made while we were on board. Secondly, I was very pleased to find that the quality and preparation of meals in the MDR had shown marked improvement over our recent experiences. By and large, food was tasty, prepared as requested, and served hot. Not a true surprise ( after all it is Celebrity), but much more in line with what Celebrity's signature has been in the past. Ocean Liners was excellent as always, but the biggest problem in the MDR was too much food and me being too willing to eat it.......:)

We were on the same cruise & have to agree with Greeneg. The MDR was very good. We went to Ocean Liners one night, food was definitely more gourmet, better presentation, but not worth an extra $70 IMHO. The ambiance was the attraction to me, quiet & more personal service.

Couple of observations. One, we just got off of the Constellation on the 19th, and no announcement of any significant change was made while we were on board. Secondly, I was very pleased to find that the quality and preparation of meals in the MDR had shown marked improvement over our recent experiences. By and large, food was tasty, prepared as requested, and served hot. Not a true surprise ( after all it is Celebrity), but much more in line with what Celebrity's signature has been in the past. Ocean Liners was excellent as always, but the biggest problem in the MDR was too much food and me being too willing to eat it.......:)

I'm really glad to hear the good report. We have always been very pleased with our MDR food until our last cruise on the Mercury, where it was a "D". We're getting on the Constellation in a few weeks and am looking forward to a much better experience.

The email response from the travelling Restaurant Manager:

Well, it sounds pretty obvious that your contact isn't in on this great big, fancy, ground-breaking new innovation.

I'm pretty close to convinced that there is nothing new at all about to happen...

Well, it sounds pretty obvious that your contact isn't in on this great big, fancy, ground-breaking new innovation.

I'm pretty close to convinced that there is nothing new at all about to happen...

I am sure that the rumor was filled with the announcement of the new master chef/food consulatant/whatever he is....which is a big deal from a marketing standpoint.

I'm pretty close to convinced that there is nothing new at all about to

happen...

I've drawn the same conclusion. However some people trying to sell something to the masses are known for using exaggeration (didn't want to use that hyperbole accusation).;)

This coming September, Van Staden promised that Celebrity will be making an announcement regarding how it plans to change the main dining room experience on its ships. “How passengers receive their meals will be completely different from other cruise ships,” he noted. “Our new main restaurant experience will be a trendsetter in the industry,” he asserted.

Obviously Jacques forgot to contact people on board who should have received some indication of something "completely different" that they would soon have to provide.

I am sure that the rumor was filled with the announcement of the new master chef/food consulatant/whatever he is....which is a big deal from a marketing standpoint.

I guess you could be absolutely right, but the announcement was "How passengers receive their meals will be completely different from other cruise ships". I certainly wouldn't think a new executive-type chef would fit that description. I don't see how the chef would be involved in "how the passengers receive their meals" (or at least, it seems like an odd way to word the announcement if that is the case).

Of course, I think the hype has just built on itself over a month-and-a-half or so. I'm thinking that's all is was - hype.

I've drawn the same conclusion. However some people trying to sell something to the masses are known for using exaggeration (didn't want to use that hyperbole accusation).;)

Yeah, I agree completely.

Times running out for the announcement.

My guess is there is nothing coming. Was there an announcement in September of last year or in the past few years about something different? Maybe the article writer picked up an old quote from someplace - wouldn't surprise me.

The only change I'd really like to see would be an overall upgrade in the food quality in the in the MDR. We're slowly eating more and more in the specialty restuarants. That is great but a bit overboard for a more than a couple nights. It would be nice to see an upgrade in the MDR including a bit better quality overall and also upgrading the poor menu selections found on some nights so that the dinners on all nights are as nice as those found on some of the better nightly MDR menus.

Just wondering which nights you prefer in the MDR. We will probably dine in 2 of the specialty rooms during our November cruise on Eclipse. Trying to figure out whether to book them ahead or wait until we are onboard. Thanks!

We are just off Silhouette (amazing cruise BTW) and during the Q&A section before the galley tour I did ask the question to the head chef what these changes would be.

At first they seemed surprised that I had heard of 'rumoured changes' (and even commented that there were changes and how the hell had we heard about them) although the Maitre'd of Murano's who was hosting the event did look at me and ask if it was Cruise critic.

Once I had confirmed it was, the head chef (sorry,can't remember his name) did say there were changes afoot but these would be changes to the MENU offerings only.

They had had many comments in regards to the fish dish dishes and were making changes to those first, and the changes should come onboard during Oct/Nov.

He also went on to say that fleetwide menu changes can take up to 6 months to implement, so this is why they were starting with fish first and then would move onto the rest of the menu.

Hope this helps.

Just wondering which nights you prefer in the MDR. We will probably dine in 2 of the specialty rooms during our November cruise on Eclipse. Trying to figure out whether to book them ahead or wait until we are onboard. Thanks!

Well, generally speaking the formal nights have good menu options. The first and last are always great. But it also seems that there are always other nights when everything on the menu is appealing and some nights when nothing looks good. On the latter nights there is always the every night options (steak, salmon or chicken). It could just be coincidence and our personal preferences but it aways seems like the really good menu items are grouped together on some nights and the less attractive choices are grouped together on other nights. Unfortunately we're not familiar enough with the menu sequencing to know ahead of time which nights will be good or bad.

I would always suggest booking the specialty restuarants ahead of time. We've been on some cruises, including a 7 night on the Eclipse last Feb, when it was difficult to get a specialty restuarant reservation at all and other cruises, typically longer cruises, when it was very easy and the restuarants were not busy. But if you book ahead of time you know you'll have a reservation at a time you like and you can always change the dates and times once on board if you change your mind.

Well, generally speaking the formal nights have good menu options. The first and last are always great. But it also seems that there are always other nights when everything on the menu is appealing and some nights when nothing looks good. On the latter nights there is always the every night options (steak, salmon or chicken). It could just be coincidence and our personal preferences but it aways seems like the really good menu items are grouped together on some nights and the less attractive choices are grouped together on other nights.

We have found this too. Somewhere on these threads, the meals and the order they are served on some of the itineraries has been posted. I even contributed, but can't find it at the moment.

There is one menu that we don't care for at all, so we book a speciality restaurant, from home, for that night. Once we are onboard, we ask our head waiter for a peek at the upcoming menus for the sailing and adjust our reservation if necessary.

We are just off Silhouette (amazing cruise BTW) and during the Q&A section before the galley tour I did ask the question to the head chef what these changes would be.

At first they seemed surprised that I had heard of 'rumoured changes' (and even commented that there were changes and how the hell had we heard about them) although the Maitre'd of Murano's who was hosting the event did look at me and ask if it was Cruise critic.

Once I had confirmed it was, the head chef (sorry,can't remember his name) did say there were changes afoot but these would be changes to the MENU offerings only.

They had had many comments in regards to the fish dish dishes and were making changes to those first, and the changes should come onboard during Oct/Nov.

He also went on to say that fleetwide menu changes can take up to 6 months to implement, so this is why they were starting with fish first and then would move onto the rest of the menu.

Hope this helps.

I fully understand why they started with the fish - I looked at the menus someone kindly posted and I know I am going to struggle to find quality food I can eat. Probably better off in the buffet - at least I will be able hopefully to avoid the shellfish,nuts,eggs and salads - I am allergic to all of them. I was hoping for some good fish - ah well.

Annie

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the inside information. That's by far the closest/more probable "clue" we have had come out of all this hype from this thread...

Hmmmm, I wonder if Mr. Van Staden is on Facebook (I'm not so I can't check) or Linkedin or elsewhere accessible via the 'net and maybe someone could ask him directly.....not that I expect that a direct answer would be forthcoming:)

I looked on Facebook for him by doing a search and nothing turned up.

Hope this helps.

Actually any mention of this purported change on Cruise Critic was prompted by direct quotes of comments by a Celebrity executive, Mr. Van Staden and not some unsubstantiated rumor. Now that September is but hours from becoming history, I believe that Celebrity and/or Mr. Van Staden should clarify or amplify his statements and explain what changes in "how the guests receive their food" were to be announced in September. :rolleyes:

Actually any mention of this purported change on Cruise Critic was prompted by direct quotes of comments by a Celebrity executive, Mr. Van Staden and not some unsubstantiated rumor. Now that September is but hours from becoming history, I believe that Celebrity and/or Mr. Van Staden should clarify or amplify his statements and explain what changes in "how the guests receive their food" were to be announced in September. :rolleyes:

It was supposed to be that 1 person from your table would be elected

to go to the galley and be "the table's private server" but that idea

got sent to the brigg:rolleyes::):p

I fully understand why they started with the fish - I looked at the menus someone kindly posted and I know I am going to struggle to find quality food I can eat. Probably better off in the buffet - at least I will be able hopefully to avoid the shellfish,nuts,eggs and salads - I am allergic to all of them. I was hoping for some good fish - ah well.

Annie

You should contact Special Services with your list of allergies. They will pass it on. Then when you board see the Mair'd and he/she will ensure that you have selection. You will have to order a day in advance but it will be worth it. I do this all the time. I see what is offered then they adjust to what I need. For example they remove the croûtons from the salads for me. They will make something the same but with only the things I can eat. It comes wrapped in pastry but does not have egg in it.

Archived