Changes in Celebrity's Dining Room in September?

negc

I agree with Ma Bell. There still are all the same "free" venues/activities/restaurants now as years ago. What has changed is now in addition to all these free/included venues are several additional for charge venues/activities/restaurants. People can still simply utilize the no charge venues, or can elect to pick and choose what extras to spring for. To me this is a win, win scenario.

Yeah, again I totally agree. The problem with that thinking, however, is that if this a la cart pricing continues to saturate every cruiseline - it's nearly to the point that very little onboard is "free" anymore - then all those extras need to be included when you budget for a cruise. Just like airlines now-a-days, they don't like increasing ticket prices, so they tack on ridiculous fees. If cruiselines keep doing that, then cruising isn't going to remain an "affordable" vacation alternative anymore.

I respectfully disagree. I've no doubt you can enjoy a perfectly wonderful cruise without purchasing anything beyond what is already included in the fare. As far as the airlines go, they haven't been shy about price hikes or about charging fees for things that used to be included, while most cruise lines are charging the same and in many cases less than they did even ten years ago, but are now offering new pay to play options for those who are willing to do just that.

Yeah, again I totally agree. The problem with that thinking, however, is that if this a la cart pricing continues to saturate every cruiseline - it's nearly to the point that very little onboard is "free" anymore - then all those extras need to be included when you budget for a cruise. Just like airlines now-a-days, they don't like increasing ticket prices, so they tack on ridiculous fees. If cruiselines keep doing that, then cruising isn't going to remain an "affordable" vacation alternative anymore.

If you look at prices over the last twenty years during the time extra fare items were being introduced, the prices of a full cruise has gone down significantly. For about half the price it used to be, you get a better stateroom (example, veranda cabins were rare twenty years ago), nicer amenities, more food than you could ever eat, larger ships with more areas to enjoy, decent entertainment, and more itineraries and destinations than we could ever dream of before. Plus, additional eating venues have been added to give us even more dining variety, some still at no extra charge. All for less money.

History does not support your prediction.

I agree with Ma Bell. There still are all the same "free" venues/activities/restaurants now as years ago. What has changed is now in addition to all these free/included venues are several additional for charge venues/activities/restaurants. People can still simply utilize the no charge venues, or can elect to pick and choose what extras to spring for. To me this is a win, win scenario.

I think most would agree that the food and service in the MDR has gone down over the years.(5...4...3...2...1, here come the disagreements) That's not by accident, IMO. The pay venues wouldn't be as attractive if the MDR had mainained it's previous higher standards. Again, my opinion.

If an experience/feature is truly new, then I have no problem with it being an extra charge. But, the dining is a glaring example of degrading one form of the product in order to charge a premium for another venue.

I think most would agree that the food and service in the MDR has gone down over the years.(5...4...3...2...1, here come the disagreements) That's not by accident, IMO. The pay venues wouldn't be as attractive if the MDR had mainained it's previous higher standards. Again, my opinion.

If an experience/feature is truly new, then I have no problem with it being an extra charge. But, the dining is a glaring example of degrading one form of the product in order to charge a premium for another venue.

While I agree the food likely has slipped some in the MDR, most still find it fair to good. I think the decreased quality was not done to "drive" people to specialty restaurants as some seem to believe, but just part of overall budget cuts Celebrity (and all the mass market lines) had to do as the global downturn in the economy combined with rise in oil prices led the cruise lines to cope with increased expenses at a time of decreased revenues. The cruise lines had to slash fares to keep the ships filled, and therefore in order to remain viable had to make some cuts.

While I agree the food likely has slipped some in the MDR, most still find it fair to good. I think the decreased quality was not done to "drive" people to specialty restaurants as some seem to believe, but just part of overall budget cuts Celebrity (and all the mass market lines) had to do as the global downturn in the economy combined with rise in oil prices led the cruise lines to cope with increased expenses at a time of decreased revenues. The cruise lines had to slash fares to keep the ships filled, and therefore in order to remain viable had to make some cuts.

Agreed. Can't imagine why the cruise industry should be held to a higher standard than just about every other industry that has had no choice but to make cuts in recent years. IMHO the cruise industry has been far more gentle and generous to pax in terms of cutbacks that most other industries have been to their customers. And yes, while the food isn't what it used to be years ago, one look at the over-abundance of screaming seams, popped buttons and straining zippers on the last day of a cruise is a sure sign that despite cutbacks and changes, things are still pretty darn good!

Yeah, in the food and service in the MDR. You can still get quality food and service, but you pay extra for it. That was exactly my point. In all due respect, you disagreed by agreeing with me.

I would wonder how much of the decline in food quality is simply an effect of larger and larger ships. Whether you want to or not, you simply can't serve the same quality food to 2,000 people that you were able to serve 600.

I would wonder how much of the decline in food quality is simply an effect of larger and larger ships. Whether you want to or not, you simply can't serve the same quality food to 2,000 people that you were able to serve 600.

Sure you can. And, 2000+ pax ships have been around for quite some time.

That is a good point; that is very likely a factor. The new ships on both Celebrity and sister line RCI have been getting larger and larger and the main dining rooms are basically banquet halls with the meals pre-plated rather than cooked to order.

Will matching socks be required?

Re flip flops and formal night dress code ... port and starboard red and green socks will be introduced to help you find your way back to your stateroom from the MDR.

:D:D:D

One thing I know for sure is that my experience has made me much more able to distinguish "good food" than when I was younger. I was certainly much more easily impressed then than I am now.

You are absolute correct, but the point I was attempting to make was that there is very, very rarely anything introduced by a cruiseline anymore that does not come without an extra charge. Therefore, and understandably, many posters in this thread are apprehensive about this "new announcement" being made about the MDR. Judging by many posts in this thread, it seems that I am not the only one who sees these great new "breakthroughs in cruising" as bittersweet - when you can partake almost nothing "new and exciting" without increasing your cruising budget.

Re flip flops and formal night dress code ... port and starboard red and green socks will be introduced to help you find your way back to your stateroom from the MDR.

Red, right, returning.......to your cabin.

Surely, no one would wear socks with flip flops. You couldn't put your toes between the thong!

Surely, no one would wear socks with flip flops. You couldn't put your toes between the thong!

That's what scissors are for!! ;)

But, I much prefer plaid shorts, duotoned short-sleeved bowling shirt, white support socks, and black wing-tip shoes for that oh-so classy look.

You will be required to order the night before using the interactive TV in your state room. This will help to eliminate waste as they won't have to guess how much of each to make. It will also help to speed up the service as the food will be ready at the serving stations. Plus there will be prices on each item. You can order what ever you want but it will be subtracted form the food board credit that each cabin category is assigned. The lower cabin grades will not have as much credit as the higher classes do. You will also be charged each time you enter the buffet area, and there will be no take outs. If you go over it will be applied to your shipboard account and be charged to your CC.

The dining room will also be divided into 2 sections. One for those that want to dine in style with formal trained waiters, table cloths, silverware, china and etc. This will require the passengers to dress more up dressy casual and formal on formal nights.

The other section be for those that want to dine not so formal. The waiters may be chewing gum. Will wear an apron to cover up what ever they may be wearing. The tables will have paper table cloths or place mats. Stamped bent utinsils, plastic or paper plates, gum stuck under the table or chair, and etc. There will be no dress code. Instead of having a formal night it will be Toga night complete with a food fight. People signing up for this dinig room will have to pay more in gratuities because of the special training required for the servers. The gratuities will also have to be paid in advance and are not refundable.

And if the interactive TV is not working, it will be a huge saving because no one will be able to order anything.:D There will be lots of free machines in the gym too because no one will have to work out, but watch out for the elevators...they'll be full.

You will be required to order the night before using the interactive TV in your state room. This will help to eliminate waste as they won't have to guess how much of each to make. It will also help to speed up the service as the food will be ready at the serving stations. Plus there will be prices on each item. You can order what ever you want but it will be subtracted form the food board credit that each cabin category is assigned. The lower cabin grades will not have as much credit as the higher classes do. You will also be charged each time you enter the buffet area, and there will be no take outs. If you go over it will be applied to your shipboard account and be charged to your CC.

The dining room will also be divided into 2 sections. One for those that want to dine in style with formal trained waiters, table cloths, silverware, china and etc. This will require the passengers to dress more up dressy casual and formal on formal nights.

The other section be for those that want to dine not so formal. The waiters may be chewing gum. Will wear an apron to cover up what ever they may be wearing. The tables will have paper table cloths or place mats. Stamped bent utinsils, plastic or paper plates, gum stuck under the table or chair, and etc. There will be no dress code. Instead of having a formal night it will be Toga night complete with a food fight. People signing up for this dinig room will have to pay more in gratuities because of the special training required for the servers. The gratuities will also have to be paid in advance and are not refundable.

Too funny:D.

You can now order what's on the main dinner menu for in-room. With the addition of more balconies and suites, perhaps dinner can now be ordered as room service on long port days when dinner will be missed. Imagine sunset dinner on your aft balcony at your leisure.

You can now order what's on the main dinner menu for in-room. With the addition of more balconies and suites, perhaps dinner can now be ordered as room service on long port days when dinner will be missed. Imagine sunset dinner on your aft balcony at your leisure.

You always could do this though

I think they are going to expand on the Silhouette's Lawn Club Grill idea and create the new "Celebrity Cook and Consume" dining experience. All passengers will choose their own ingredients from a new area adjacent to the MDR called "The Pantry". They will then prepare their own food in another new area called "The Cruisin' Kitchen". Each table will as a team make their own soups and salads, cook their own entrees, and whip up their own deserts. As each course is prepared, we'll take it to our tables to enjoy, returning to "The Pantry" and "The Cruisin' Kitchen" to prepare the next course at the appropriate time.

I love this! Only you forgot to add that all the tables will compete and be judged by the captains table to see who will be named "Iron Chef" for the evening. The competition will be part of a Reality Series that airs onboard:)

Archived